Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McConnell shutting down higher stimulus checks?
To recap:

Trump out of nowhere wanted $2000 stimulus checks.
House passed it seperately 275-to-134 vote, so a lot of bipartisan there.
McConnell shut it down, not allowing a vote on it. Instead stating that later in the week it will essentially merge with the 'election commission and the liability protection repeal', giving Repubs a loophole to say they voted for the $2000 checks but the Dems will oppose it because of what it is merged with.

Is that correct, in a nutshell so to speak?

Mitch McConnell, what a great guy. Has no problem giving the wealthy massive tax cuts for trickle down economics bs, but give a fraction of those tax cuts back to the American people at the height of Covid, nah. I guess people should be fortunate with the $600, thats enough to eat their cake.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
More or less.  Mitch won't ever do anything the Democrats want.  Though they are trying to push the narrative that he wants to "break away" from Trump by not allowing the $2000.00 checks...lolz.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
McConnell blocked it from being fast tracked with something called unanimous consent. This would essentially bring it to a voice vote where no Senators objects and it passes. Obviously some Senators were going to object, so McConnell gets to hold it up for those members without them being on the record of opposing it.

It can still continue normally.

However, he did introduce his own bill that has the $2k checks, repeals Section 230 (this is a huge NO), and creates a sham election commission that seeks to treat Trump's baseless claims as legitimate concerns, which suggests that the stand alone bill will not go through that process with the sole intent of letting those sacks of shit Georgia incumbents claim to be in support and attack Democrats as not being in support.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I actually agree that everyone should not get a check for $2000.

There are plenty of people hurting, but lots of people are doing very well. The stock market is at an all time high.

The only reason that Trump wants everyone to get $2K is that it will throw fire on the stock market so the rich can get richer on government debt. Instead the money should be targeted to the people and industries that really need assistance.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 01:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I actually agree that everyone should not get a check for $2000.

There are plenty of people hurting, but lots of people are doing very well.  The stock market is at an all time high.

The only reason that Trump wants everyone to get $2K is that it will throw fire on the stock market so the rich can get richer on government debt. Instead the money should be targeted to the people and industries that really need assistance.

Even people that don't necessarily need it. will spend it helping the economy it's what happened last time why would this be any different. 
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 01:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I actually agree that everyone should not get a check for $2000.

There are plenty of people hurting, but lots of people are doing very well. The stock market is at an all time high.

The $600 checks are only for people making less than $75k. I hadn’t heard bumping it to $2k would then extend the payments to every American.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 01:38 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Even people that don't necessarily need it. will spend it helping the economy it's what happened last time why would this be any different. 

But they can only spend it at businesses that are open, and they may not be the ones that need the aid the most.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 02:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But they can only spend it at businesses that are open, and they may not be the ones that need the aid the most.

Many on life support anyway many have already shut down for good. 2 grand or more pending on size of family might be enough to ride the storm out until vaccine becomes readily available
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 03:00 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Many on life support anyway many have already shut down for good. 2 grand or more pending on size of family might be enough to ride the storm out until vaccine becomes readily available

I have no objection to aid for people who have losses due to the pandemic.  I just don't think everyone should get one.

Things are going to get much worse before they get better.  The Christmas gatherings will provide an uptick in cases.  And so far only about  0.6% (about 2 million out of 330 million) have been vaccinated in the United States.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 03:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  I just don't think everyone should get one.

Isn't the idea the $2,000 was going to follow the same income-based distribution the others have i.e. everyone doesn't get them?
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 03:09 PM)Au165 Wrote: Isn't the idea the $2,000 was going to follow the same income-based distribution the others have i.e. everyone doesn't get them?

Even the income-based criteria isn't a catch all. And I'm a fine example. I'm a state worker. In March they sent me home, and I only got called back in September. But that entire time I was getting my paycheck, accruing my PTO and hell, even got my annual raise. I'll take free money if the government wants to give it to me, but the $1,700 that I got didn't go back into the economy, It's in the market and it's now about $3,000. 

It would take a much smarter mind than mine to do better targeted stimulus that doesn't have a lot of beurocracy to it, but I think that is what Fred is after.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 06:42 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Even the income-based criteria isn't a catch all. And I'm a fine example. I'm a state worker. In March they sent me home, and I only got called back in September. But that entire time I was getting my paycheck, accruing my PTO and hell, even got my annual raise. I'll take free money if the government wants to give it to me, but the $1,700 that I got didn't go back into the economy, It's in the market and it's now about $3,000. 

It would take a much smarter mind than mine to do better targeted stimulus that doesn't have a lot of beurocracy to it, but I think that is what Fred is after.

That is putting it into the economy. You purchased assets. That put that money into the economy...
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
[Image: EqXR562XAAAiz7F?format=png&name=900x900]
Reply/Quote

How dare you expect competency from Washington.

What was this last bill like 1100 pages or something.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 134484494_10216187487993869_731762467623...e=6014D2BC]
Reply/Quote

There are plenty of people hurting, but lots of people are doing very well.  The stock market is at an all time high.

I agree with this 100%

Send it ot those that need it instead of everyone.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 06:42 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Even the income-based criteria isn't a catch all. And I'm a fine example. I'm a state worker. In March they sent me home, and I only got called back in September. But that entire time I was getting my paycheck, accruing my PTO and hell, even got my annual raise. I'll take free money if the government wants to give it to me, but the $1,700 that I got didn't go back into the economy, It's in the market and it's now about $3,000. 

^^^This

And I don't think has anything to do with bureaucracy but with laziness and votes.  They'd need to have a pretty complicated formula for targeting individuals in particular industries that have been hardest hit and that would be complicated.  Then people not in those industries, but with similar incomes would be angry and could lose one side or the other votes.

So money for all!  *govt throws the bucks at the crowd*
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure why anyone thinks the money being pushed out is really about the people that are hurting. If this were about providing a safety net to the citizenry, we'd have been doing what other western nations have been doing. No, this is about propping up the economy as a whole. Both the Republicans and Democrats have fiscal policies that favor corporations over the people, and if you think these funds are for anything other than that, you're kidding yourself. This is why it isn't targeted, because they don't care about the people that actually need this money. All they care about is putting money in the hands of the people so they will spend it. This includes putting it into the stock market or any other investments.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 01:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm not sure why anyone thinks the money being pushed out is really about the people that are hurting. If this were about providing a safety net to the citizenry, we'd have been doing what other western nations have been doing. No, this is about propping up the economy as a whole. Both the Republicans and Democrats have fiscal policies that favor corporations over the people, and if you think these funds are for anything other than that, you're kidding yourself. This is why it isn't targeted, because they don't care about the people that actually need this money. All they care about is putting money in the hands of the people so they will spend it. This includes putting it into the stock market or any other investments.

Our economy is like a strung out junkie.  Constantly putting off the burden of progress in favor of sporadic injections that cause artificial highs that cause long term damage. 

But that's just my take on things. 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 01:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm not sure why anyone thinks the money being pushed out is really about the people that are hurting. If this were about providing a safety net to the citizenry, we'd have been doing what other western nations have been doing. No, this is about propping up the economy as a whole. Both the Republicans and Democrats have fiscal policies that favor corporations over the people, and if you think these funds are for anything other than that, you're kidding yourself. This is why it isn't targeted, because they don't care about the people that actually need this money. All they care about is putting money in the hands of the people so they will spend it. This includes putting it into the stock market or any other investments.

REP.
Reply/Quote