Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McConnell shutting down higher stimulus checks?
(12-31-2020, 01:24 PM)Stewy Wrote: ^^^This

And I don't think has anything to do with bureaucracy but with laziness and votes.  They'd need to have a pretty complicated formula for targeting individuals in particular industries that have been hardest hit and that would be complicated.  Then people not in those industries, but with similar incomes would be angry and could lose one side or the other votes.

So money for all!  *govt throws the bucks at the crowd*

Yeah I talked to a small manufacturing company the other day that makes fishing items. They had their biggest year by far in 2020 (more people at home, more time to hit the lake). But as for me, I've lost about 70 percent of my accounts, businesses that either couldn't keep spending what they were or just outright shut down. Which means more than likely, I'm shutting down. Was hoping to make it a few more months to see if things recover, but the first quarter was always slow anyway. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 01:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm not sure why anyone thinks the money being pushed out is really about the people that are hurting. If this were about providing a safety net to the citizenry, we'd have been doing what other western nations have been doing. No, this is about propping up the economy as a whole. Both the Republicans and Democrats have fiscal policies that favor corporations over the people, and if you think these funds are for anything other than that, you're kidding yourself. This is why it isn't targeted, because they don't care about the people that actually need this money. All they care about is putting money in the hands of the people so they will spend it. This includes putting it into the stock market or any other investments.

I had started a reply about how I meant "not putting it into the economy" as in your local businesses and mom and pops that are shuttering left and right.

Then as I was typing I realized that the majority of stimulus that wasn't saved most likely went to Walmart, Target, Amazon and other big corporations. LOL
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 05:47 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I had started a reply about how I meant "not putting it into the economy" as in your local businesses and mom and pops that are shuttering left and right.

Then as I was typing I realized that the majority of stimulus that wasn't saved most likely went to Walmart, Target, Amazon and other big corporations. LOL

The wife and I both spent ours on a local contractor who was siding our house. He managed to complain about stimulus handouts at one point, too.  Lulz
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 07:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The wife and I both spent ours on a local contractor who was siding our house. He managed to complain about stimulus handouts at one point, too.  Lulz

Spent mine in yayo and a prostitute... Very stimulating, and few complaints from anyone involved.

I'm kidding. I spent my fantasy league championship money on whores and drugs. I bought my kid a hot dog, some popcorn, and a drink or two at Disney World with my $1,700... I'll probably light cigarettes with my $600 check.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I've barely received jack squat in stimulus money. The wife and I file separate, and apparently I make too much money. I find this completely hilarious considering I pretty much financially support every expense we have, as my wife has been out of work (my son is doing NTI schooling) since the pandemic began.

Oh well. I guess I'll go shopping for a Bentley or some caviar tomorrow since the gubmint thinks I'm loaded.

I'm not hurting for the money or work, but it's odd to me how it all shakes out. Millionaires and billionaires are good to get huge payments from the federal government, yet any person that made over 90K last year gets the middle finger, lol.
Reply/Quote
McConnell is the figurehead of the Republican Senate, but make no mistake, the Republican senators behind him fully agree with depriving the American people of survival payments and aid.

If they didn't, then they would have revoked Mitch's majority seat in order to pass this.

It's easy to blame one person. It's much harder to blame an entire party and, by extension, its entire voting constituent.

If you're a Republican voter and you're outraged that McConnell stole your 2000 dollar check, you have yourself to blame for this. If you're a Democrat voter, you've probably hated McConnell and, to a large extent, every other Republican Senator for the better part of the last 3 decades now, so no change there.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 07:44 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: McConnell is the figurehead of the Republican Senate, but make no mistake, the Republican senators behind him fully agree with depriving the American people of survival payments and aid.

If they didn't, then they would have revoked Mitch's majority seat in order to pass this.

It's easy to blame one person. It's much harder to blame an entire party and, by extension, its entire voting constituent.

If you're a Republican voter and you're outraged that McConnell stole your 2000 dollar check, you have yourself to blame for this. If you're a Democrat voter, you've probably hated McConnell and, to a large extent, every other Republican Senator for the better part of the last 3 decades now, so no change there.

Stole it? Let’s be a little objective. It’s not like it passed and then he pulled it back. If the Dems wanted $2500 and he said $2000 then did he steal $500? Or the Republicans as a whole. Why is one half of Congress proposal the real one?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 09:42 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Stole it?  Let’s be a little objective. It’s not like it passed and then he pulled it back. If the Dems wanted $2500 and he said $2000 then did he steal $500?  Or the Republicans as a whole. Why is one half of Congress proposal the real one?

In terms of Democrat and Republican voters, the increase to 2000 dollars was incredibly popular. It had the support of the majority, if not all, of the Democratic Senators and enough Republican senators that it would have likely passed if taken to a vote. Multiple Republican Senators said they supported the 2000 dollar checks (the two Georgians and Josh Hawley at the very least, which is all it would have taken to pass it). And that's not even counting the Republican senators that just do whatever Trump says because they're afraid of losing his voting base.

But McConnell denied the bill to even get a vote because he knew that Republicans would vote against it at a significantly higher clip than Democrats (if Democrats voted against it at all) and that would be VERY bad for the Georgia run offs and possibly their re-election efforts down the line. The two Georgian Republicans only said they support it because they knew it would be incredibly unpopular and political suicide to say "no I don't want you Americans to get more aid" right before they're up for re-election.

So yea...He basically stole it. You can say he "denied" it or he "shut it down" if you'd like but it's a virtual certainty that, if not for a guy named Mitch McConnell, the stimulus checks entering people's bank accounts this month would be 2000 dollars, not 600 dollars. So I lay the blame at his feet.
Reply/Quote