Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McConnell starts planning for life after McConnell
...by doing a McConnell thing and trying to take the ability to name his successor away from the Governor.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
I'm actually not against a governor naming a senator's successor. Hold a special election and let the democratic process do it's thing.
Reply/Quote
Speaking of doing McConnell things, his wife is apparently deeply in the crap for using her position to essentially help run her family business.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 04:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: Speaking of doing McConnell things, his wife is apparently deeply in the crap for using her position to essentially help run her family business.

I saw that one too.  Color me stunned.

I wonder how many more members of the prior administration will at least have this happen.  Though I doubt there will be any serious repercussions...there almost never is.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 04:31 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I'm actually not against a governor naming a senator's successor. Hold a special election and let the democratic process do it's thing.

I'm less inclined to support a governor naming the successor, as partisan politics don't seem to be going away. But I am in favor of holding a special election. As much as I don't like McConnell, the people here voted for him; they should get another opportunity to fail just as badly with someone new.

As far as the issue of his successor, I hope it's anyone but Cameron. What a bag of cowardly ineptness. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would be for holding a special election in that scenario.
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling most people's position on this would be totally dependent on their party affiliation/preference, the party affiliation of the person being replaced, and the party affiliation of the person doing the replacing.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 05:57 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have a feeling most people's position on this would be totally dependent on their party affiliation/preference, the party affiliation of the person being replaced, and the party affiliation of the person doing the replacing.

Actually I would be against it because the party leaders are not elected.

Whenever you make a law you have to understand that the facts can shift with the next election.  So there is no real benefit to saying a Governor gets to select the replacement senator just because the governor is your party and the senator isn't.  The situation could be flipped the next time it happens.

Reminds me of how someone here used to always claim that the Democrats just want to change the rules regarding the electoral college because that change would benefit Democrats.  But the change would not benefit EITHER party.  Instead it just needs to be changed because the "All to winning candidate" makes no difference between a 1% victory and a 20% victory.  It defies the theory of democratic election.
Reply/Quote
BTW is McConnell planning on leaving office early?
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 06:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW is McConnell planning on leaving office early?

Lord Palpatine likes to stay one step ahead of the senate.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 05:57 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have a feeling most people's position on this would be totally dependent on their party affiliation/preference, the party affiliation of the person being replaced, and the party affiliation of the person doing the replacing.
I was surprised when I found out that the Governor gets to select the replacement. Not shocked that McConnell is trying to change the rules, pretty much simply because they have a Democratic Governor in Kentucky. When Biden said that he might choose a Republican for his cabinet, I thought that it was foreshadowing that he was going to select a Republican from a state that has a Democratic Governor

I thought that there would be a quick run-off election. Hopefully a quick one so people don't get saturated with more campaigning nonsense right after a regular election which the rhetoric in the campaign ads gets to be quite ridiculous.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 07:08 PM)Benton Wrote: Lord Palpatine likes to stay one step ahead of the senate.

After 10 years of being majority leader, I guess that life isn't as fun when you're not the one dictating what gets to be voted on. He was never interested in governing, only being in power. When he became majority leader, isn't that when they became known as "the party of no"?
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 06:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW is McConnell planning on leaving office early?

I predicted when he won last year that he would not finish out another term...probably on his own terms rather than health reason.
Reply/Quote