Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We got a sore peter deal today
(Sore peter...you just can't beat it!) We found a new scratch and dent (very small, barely noticeable dent), still under warranty Samsung fridge with the tablet (computer) door.. French doors with the extra drawer so 4 doors/drawers in all..(cabinet dept size) Anyway, it lists for $3500 at several stores..We got it for $900.. Not a bad deal IF it holds up and doesn't turn into a pile of cold garbage before the warranty expires..
The problem is moving the damned thing. I was in the appliance business, buying and selling appliances for several years when I was still also in the scrap metal business and could haul them up and down steps all day long. This one is so damned bottom heavy I can't tip it over even an appliance dolly and with help it's still damned heavy. We got it in the house and it turns out the ice maker part on the door makes it about a 16nth of an inch too wide to get it in the kitchen. That's fun sounding, huh? So after screwing around with it all day I finally gave up for the day and tomorrow I get the fun of learning how to remove the doors from one of these super cum kydie refrigerators, water and electrical lines, etc..
I know..they're not rated as good as some other fridges with plenty of crap to potentially break down, but so far everything's working as advertised..
The guy we bought from runs his own backyard appliance junk yard, but he's a decent guy without a lot of BS selling ideas..He buys scratch and dent appliances in bulk to rebuild some, resell others and scraps the rest. I still have a dryer I need to get the parts to get it working to resell it.. I might do some business with the guy if things work out.. Appliances are a lot simpler to repair than most people think. They can be bought online locally in most cities and towns from people who have no clue how to fix anything for a song and dance.. Not a bad gig to have if you don't mind tinkering with things.. I might have to find a better dolly though if I decide to pursue it as a side business. My old bones can't lift a 700 pound refrigerator up and down steps anymore.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If removing the fridge door involves disconnecting wiring I would consider removing the kitchen door frame instead.

But always look for used appliances. You would be amazed how many people with lots of money replace perfectly good appliances just because they want to go with a new "look".
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 11:40 PM)grampahol Wrote: (Sore peter...you just can't beat it!) We found a new scratch and dent (very small, barely noticeable dent), still under warranty Samsung fridge with the tablet (computer) door..

Just don't give your new fridge access to your Netflix account.  The milk that is about to expire might upgrade your account to premium before you throw it out.   Tongue

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 10:37 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Just don't give your new fridge access to your Netflix account.  The milk that is about to expire might upgrade your account to premium before you throw it out.   Tongue

Premium spoiled milk! Whadda bargain!

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 02:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If removing the fridge door involves disconnecting wiring I would consider removing the kitchen door frame instead.

But always look for used appliances.  You would be amazed how many people with lots of money replace perfectly good appliances just because they want to go with a new "look".

I did it with no issues. The wiring harness, however runs through the top hinge pin. The right side with the screen was easy. The left side with the icemaker was the tough one. The wiring and the water line was a bit tough at first, but I got em in there.. They're both hollow with an opening on one side..  Pretty gimpy setup since there are no bolts holding the top pins in like older fridges.. just a small removable lever clamp type setup.. Other than the wired and water line the hard part was trying to align the pins top and bottom.. You have to do one blind.. Oh well..SUCCESS! and...it still works like new. Whoda thunked it?
I'm considering buying scrapped newer appliances from a guy I know for the parts and reselling just parts online. Just one of the plastic door bins cost over $50 from refurbishers.. There's hundreds of individual parts on just one scrapped refrigerator. I'd be happier than a pig in sh*** to resell em for less than half price.. LOL

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 10:57 PM)grampahol Wrote: I did it with no issues. The wiring harness, however runs through the top hinge pin. The right side with the screen was easy. The left side with the icemaker was the tough one. The wiring and the water line was a bit tough at first, but I got em in there.. They're both hollow with an opening on one side..  Pretty gimpy setup since there are no bolts holding the top pins in like older fridges.. just a small removable lever clamp type setup.. Other than the wired and water line the hard part was trying to align the pins top and bottom.. You have to do one blind.. Oh well..SUCCESS! and...it still works like new. Whoda thunked it?
I'm considering buying scrapped newer appliances from a guy I know for the parts and reselling just parts online. Just one of the plastic door bins cost over $50 from refurbishers.. There's hundreds of individual parts on just one scrapped refrigerator. I'd be happier than a pig in sh*** to resell em for less than half price.. LOL

You are amazing.  ThumbsUp

Usually when I try to do what you did I have to watch 5 youtube videos. Yet based on your experience and knowledge, technology didn't deter you from saving a buck. I would have hired someone to do that stuff and eliminated my savings. Well, probably not, but still impressed with your problem solving skill on the project.

Reply/Quote