Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McGlinchey getting worked over tonight...he'll probably be our pick
(11-12-2017, 01:17 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Looks like he can't handle speed rushers. He just got beat for a strip sack which Miami recovered.

He's gotten beat other times too.

Not looking like a Top 5 pick tonight.

There are no sure picks with offensive lineman.

McGlinchey didn't look like a top 5 pick before this game, and there's a good chance the Bengals don't pick that high anyway.

Here are the standings for top picks:
Browns (0-9)
Giants (1-8)
49ers (1-8)
Colts (3-7)

Then there's a log jam at 3-6:
Bengals
Broncos
Chargers
Bears
Buccaneers
Texans

Then Jets at 4-6, just 0.5 game ahead of Bengals, but I expect the Bengals to get at least a win over the Browns, which could make them tied with 4 wins each.
Based on probability, the Bengals will likely be picking in the 6-10 range.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2017, 11:13 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I knew that, Duh.. (I follow the Bucks, and forgot his name)  Price is alright, but might not be instant starter material in the NFL, as he only has one full season starting at Center.

I didn't pay attention to any of their specific names, but the Miss St. OL is worth taking a look at.  They (I thought) did a heck of a job, versus a typically strong Alabama front seven.  

I watched that guy from Miss. St too.  Their LT, Martinas Rankin, he looked like a stud in that game against Bama.  A real road grader.  He's someone i'll be following the rest of the season too. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 12:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 10/31/17 - Notre Dame redshirt senior LT Mike McGlinchey (6-7, 312, 5.27, #68) had an up-and-down performance against N.C. State senior pass rusher Bradley Chubb (6-3, 275, 4.84, #9), a projected top-10 pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. Along with Quenton Nelson at left guard, McGlinchey was dominant in the run game, but his struggles with edge speed in pass protection showed on more than a few occasions. Entering the season, scouts had concerns about his ability to stay on the blindside in the NFL, and his performances against the top defenses on the schedule (Georgia and N.C. State) back up those concerns. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

09/11/17 - As Saturday night turned into Sunday morning following Georgia's 20-19 victory over Notre Dame, Fighting Irish offensive lineman Mike McGlinchey took the blame. "It's awful, absolutely awful...it came down to execution at the end and I blew it," said McGlinchey, a 6-foot-8 1/4, 315-pound left tackle who turned down the NFL to try to help Notre Dame rebound from a 4-8 season. McGlinchey held himself responsible for missing the block that led to Georgia linebacker Davin Bellamy's sack of quarterback Brandon Wimbush and linebacker Lorenzo Carter's fumble recovery that ended Notre Dame's chance of rallying past the No. 13 Bulldogs. The loss dropped the Irish (1-1) out of the Associated Press Top 25 rankings. Notre Dame is at Boston College next week. "Our defense played its heart out. Everyone had their doubts about them and they stepped up," McGlinchey said. "That last play was my fault. We played our hearts out in the fourth quarter." Coach Brian Kelly, who was brusque in ending his postgame conference, insisting things won't "snowball" as they did in 2016 when Notre Dame lost seven of its eight games by eight points or fewer, was in a better mood Sunday and didn't fault McGlinchey. "I've never felt like there's one play that determines a game," Kelly said. "It was just a one-on-one scenario. That's a guy (Bellamy) that's going to be playing in the NFL." - AP College Football

After the Ced debacle no one wants to hear it, but it's about what are fixable issues and what aren't because everyone has issues in the draft. Tackle is such a tough position to predict it seems when you start looking at the last 10 years of Tackles drafted. I would feel better if it was a new coaching staff making the call overall.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 02:29 PM)Au165 Wrote: After the Ced debacle no one wants to hear it, but it's about what are fixable issues and what aren't because everyone has issues in the draft. Tackle is such a tough position to predict it seems when you start looking at the last 10 years of Tackles drafted. I would feel better if it was a new coaching staff making the call overall.

Great post!

Ced gave up a bunch of sacks in college but was regarded as a good tackle because of his athleticism, etc.

You figure, a Tackle may go against an NFL caliber DE maybe 2-3 times a year in college?
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2017, 02:39 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Yes let's destroy a  prospect after one game.

You have to consider how a top prospect performs against top competition. It can and likely will affect his draft stock.

(11-13-2017, 12:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: McGlinchey didn't look like a top 5 pick before this game, and there's a good chance the Bengals don't pick that high anyway.

Here are the standings for top picks:
Browns (0-9)
Giants (1-8)
49ers (1-8)
Colts (3-7)

Then there's a log jam at 3-6:
Bengals
Broncos
Chargers
Bears
Buccaneers
Texans

Then Jets at 4-6, just 0.5 game ahead of Bengals, but I expect the Bengals to get at least a win over the Browns, which could make them tied with 4 wins each.
Based on probability, the Bengals will likely be picking in the 6-10 range.

It's all but a guarantee we will be picking in that range. Again. We're bad, but not bad enough for a top 5 pick.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 02:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You have to consider how a top prospect performs against top competition. It can and likely will affect his draft stock.

It's all but a guarantee we will be picking in that range. Again. We're bad, but not bad enough for a top 5 pick.

A series of games ok but one game; No. It's not like he has been bad all year like Pistons is trying to make it out as.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 02:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Great post!

Ced gave up a bunch of sacks in college but was regarded as a good tackle because of his athleticism, etc.

You figure, a Tackle may go against an NFL caliber DE maybe 2-3 times a year in college?

That was kind of the knock on Armstead coming out was he never played very good talent, also that he was weak lower body and may not be able to handle bull rushers.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 02:06 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I watched that guy from Miss. St too.  Their LT, Martinas Rankin, he looked like a stud in that game against Bama.  A real road grader.  He's someone i'll be following the rest of the season too. 

I️ believe rankin had good success last year against Myles Garrett. I️ have no idea where is ranking will come in but would love the snag the guy in the second. Doubt he lasts that long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I hope someone has some more evidence for this, but Walter Football wrote the following:
Quote:Mike McGlinchey would probably have been the top tackle chosen in the 2017 NFL Draft if he had declared (No. 7 overall to the Chargers?), but he announced that he would be returning to school. Excluding one game (vs. Georgia), he has been great this season.
Add in the Miami game, and at least from what Walter says, McGlinchey has really only had two bad performances this season, both against very good teams with strong pass rushers.

So maybe McGlinchey isn't as bad as some people are making him out to be just because they happened to watch the one game where McGlinchey got pwned. Perhaps instead is that McGlinchey is a solid OT that will get beat occasionally but should still be a pretty good improvement over Ogbuehi.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2017, 06:45 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I put this in draft central, we should trade down to 17?  for a second rounder  and get an aj green replacement(courtland sutton) and with the 2 second rounders get a center(Billy price) and the best guard(will hernandez) go ot next year when u got Trey Adams coming out.

I stopped reading when you said trade down for a WR.
Reply/Quote
McGlinchey is a physical blocking OT. He has foot work issues that seem to always be the precursor to his being beat. He often sets too short and that's when the speed guys get him.
He rarely, if ever, loses vs power.
It comes down to what you want or expect from your OT.

It's not a killer flaw but is a flaw. He still has great hand work, shows plus strength and is a strong run blocker.
In theory, this can be fixed. Especially because he seems very well rounded everywhere else in his game. But it's enough to keep him from going top 10 IMO without it being a reach unless this class is just dreadful after all is said and done.

If you want a run oriented offense then McGlinchey can be a great OT for you. If you want to throw it 40 times a game, you might be best off looking elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2017, 11:13 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I knew that, Duh.. (I follow the Bucks, and forgot his name)  Price is alright, but might not be instant starter material in the NFL, as he only has one full season starting at Center.

I didn't pay attention to any of their specific names, but the Miss St. OL is worth taking a look at.  They (I thought) did a heck of a job, versus a typically strong Alabama front seven.  

Funny, I watched that game and thought the same thing. Draft the entire left side of Miss. St. o-line. Rankins is a beast at LT
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 04:08 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: McGlinchey is a physical blocking OT. He has foot work issues that seem to always be the precursor to his being beat. He often sets too short and that's when the speed guys get him.
He rarely, if ever, loses vs power.
It comes down to what you want or expect from your OT.

It's not a killer flaw but is a flaw. He still has great hand work, shows plus strength and is a strong run blocker.
In theory, this can be fixed. Especially because he seems very well rounded everywhere else in his game. But it's enough to keep him from going top 10 IMO without it being a reach unless this class is just dreadful after all is said and done.

If you want a run oriented offense then McGlinchey can be a great OT for you. If you want to throw it 40 times a game, you might be best off looking elsewhere.

With the QB and RBs the Bengals have, it's probably for the best to morph this offense into a run oriented offense.
Unfortunately with the current players on the OL and the person coaching the OL, it's probably much easier said than done.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 03:28 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: A series of games ok but one game; No. It's not like he has been bad all year like Pistons is trying to make it out as.

Fair enough. All I'm saying is that teams do look at performance against top competition. For obvious reasons. 

They've had other big games and will have more, so it's not like 1 performance will ruin him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 03:47 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I️ believe rankin had good success last year against Myles Garrett.  I️ have no idea where is ranking will come in but would love the snag the guy in the second.  Doubt he lasts that long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The announcers were saying he's going to go in the first somewhere.  I guess his game tape is off the charts. 

But....if we could get Rankins in 1 and Q. Nelson, the guard from ND in 2......and then that C from tOSU in 3......I'd be a pretty happy camper.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 04:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: With the QB and RBs the Bengals have, it's probably for the best to morph this offense into a run oriented offense.
Unfortunately with the current players on the OL and the person coaching the OL, it's probably much easier said than done.

I mean, with the investments made at RB, it would be silly not to be a team that runs 30 times a game. Run a spread offense with a ton of runs from the gun. It's our best offense. 
Maybe McGlinchey can fix his issue because it certainly seems correctable to me. He has a solid foundation and that's a big bonus. 

(11-13-2017, 04:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fair enough. All I'm saying is that teams do look at performance against top competition. For obvious reasons. 

They've had other big games and will have more, so it's not like 1 performance will ruin him.

You can learn a lot about a guy if he takes reps off vs  McNowhere State too
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 04:33 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: The announcers were saying he's going to go in the first somewhere.  I guess his game tape is off the charts. 

But....if we could get Rankins in 1 and Q. Nelson, the guard from ND in 2......and then that C from tOSU in 3......I'd be a pretty happy camper.

Nelson isn't going in the second round. He's probably a top 20 pick.
Reply/Quote
Decided to re-watch the Miami game and I think people will be very upset at how Nelson played with how bad McGlinchey is being dragged on here it seems...
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 03:28 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: A series of games ok but one game; No. It's not like he has been bad all year like Pistons is trying to make it out as.

He's struggled against edge rushers in atleast 3 games. Guess what he's going to see nearly every week in the NFL? Yeah...edge rushers.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2017, 05:24 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Decided to re-watch the Miami game and I think people will be very upset at how Nelson played with how bad McGlinchey is being dragged on here it seems...

Yeah their whole line looked bad...but Miami's defensive line is NFL caliber.
Reply/Quote