Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McKinney, Texas Police Video
I'm not sure if anyone has posted about this anywhere else or not, but it is something most should see. I'll let you guys give your opinion on what happened.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/06/07/412708943/video-shows-texas-police-officer-pulling-gun-on-teens-at-pool-party?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews
[Image: Bch_OOih_CIAARIjw_jpg_large.jpg]
Seemed fairly standard and a good job of controlling the situation....but then he went off on that one girl. Totally unnecessary - what type of threat could a 110-lb girl in a bikini possibly be? Worse, THAT is a good way of losing control of the situation by roughing her up. And pulling a gun there seems even more reckless.

I'd tend to say this cop should be fired - if he loses it here, what happens in more stressful situations? But before going that far I'd want to know how many cops have made this mistake, and how often in their career before determining if this cop is "at risk" or having a bad day. People make mistakes in every profession, doctors to (and that results in loss of life). There's this ridiculous idea gaining huge momentum that cops can and should be perfect, every day in every situation.

I don't know that this girl did anything wrong at all. But generally there needs to be a lot more focus and attention on people being respectful and cooperative so that you don't unnecessarily elevate the stress that leads to mistakes. Being uncooperative and talking back is never going to get you anywhere. Help the cops control themselves by controlling yourself.
By the way, I can laugh all day at that barrel roll the cop does in the beginning.

And to the video poster who said something like "cops just show up and start arresting and detaining people"....well, they got called to a disturbance and have no idea what happened. That's exactly what they should have until they sort out what has occurred.

But the one cop definitely needs some re-instruction at a minimum. I didn't see any issues with the way the other officers were responding.
(06-07-2015, 08:38 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Seemed fairly standard and a good job of controlling the situation....but then he went off on that one girl.  Totally unnecessary - what type of threat could a 110-lb girl in a bikini possibly be?  Worse, THAT is a good way of losing control of the situation by roughing her up.  And pulling a gun there seems even more reckless.

I'd tend to say this cop should be fired - if he loses it here, what happens in more stressful situations?  But before going that far I'd want to know how many cops have made this mistake, and how often in their career before determining if this cop is "at risk" or having a bad day.  People make mistakes in every profession, doctors to (and that results in loss of life).  There's this ridiculous idea gaining huge momentum that cops can and should be perfect, every day in every situation.

I don't know that this girl did anything wrong at all.  But generally there needs to be a lot more focus and attention on people being respectful and cooperative so that you don't unnecessarily elevate the stress that leads to mistakes.  Being uncooperative and talking back is never going to get you anywhere.  Help the cops control themselves by controlling yourself.

That one police officer has been put on leave I believe. As you, I began feeling uncomfortable when he began roughing up the girl. Maybe she was talking back to him, whatever, but that was uncalled for. You can see in the video when he pulls his gun, the other officers reacted quickly and tried to calm him down.

This is becoming a pretty big topic over on Twitter so it'll be something that is discussed heavily.
[Image: Bch_OOih_CIAARIjw_jpg_large.jpg]
A lot of the imagery we're seeing in response to this is a picture of the black teens on the ground with the cop waving his gun around, next to an image of the bikers after the shooting where 9 people died just sitting upright, some on their phones, no cops paying much attention to them. That's what is making this such a huge deal for a lot of people is they see this difference in how actual white criminals involved in a shootout are being treated in comparison to black teens that were apparently just being a little rowdy.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-07-2015, 08:54 PM)Bengals23 Wrote: This is becoming a pretty big topic over on Twitter so it'll be something that is discussed heavily.

I couldn't see how she possibly did anything that would come close to provoke that reaction.  Teens definitely know how to push buttons, but I'd guess this was a case of he's stressed from the other teens and she was in the wrong place at the wrong time to say boo.

He should be on leave and be getting additional instruction and counseling.  But beyond that I don't know.  I'm guessing every cop has at least a few of these moments in their career, maybe not to this degree but I bet they're very understanding why and how this could happen to many of them.

Maybe this video will launch some productive discussion, because it doesn't appear anyone is seriously hurt so it won't be such an emotionally charged debate.  At the same time, plenty of examples of many cops doing their job very effectively while this one guy is struggling.
(06-07-2015, 08:54 PM)Bengals23 Wrote: That one police officer has been put on leave I believe. As you, I began feeling uncomfortable when he began roughing up the girl. Maybe she was talking back to him, whatever, but that was uncalled for. You can see in the video when he pulls his gun, the other officers reacted quickly and tried to calm him down.

This is becoming a pretty big topic over on Twitter so it'll be something that is discussed heavily.

It appears to be only the one officer that is escalating things, and losing control of the situation.  Dude is freaking the eff out and makes himself like a completed doosher.

Camera's are EVERYWHERE fools.
Stressors effect everyone differently and it appears the LEO with the stripes did not react well to them. WTS, it appears that the youngsters that followed the Officers’ instructions were fine. Those that chose not to were harshly detained.

This situation has very little relevance to the biker situation; as nothing in those images/videos showed folks not following Officer's directives. It is not Rocket Science: do what the Law Enforcement Officer instructs you to do, as long as it is not illegal, immoral, or places you in danger.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-07-2015, 09:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: for a lot of people is they see this difference in how actual white criminals involved in a shootout are being treated in comparison to black teens that were apparently just being a little rowdy.

Those people should also see a difference in how the two groups are acting....namely that those white criminals have ceded full control of the situation and cooperating.  When you cooperate and cede control, then the cops don't need to do anything to establish and maintain control.

I don't think one needs to be a cop to understand it makes perfect sense when people are crowding around, just being rowdy or not, that you need to disperse the crowd to a safe distance to do your job effectively and securely.

As bad as that cop was, he gave those kids multiple chances to disperse...and the ones who continually ignored that got a pair of bracelets.  And there's also the couple of boys detained to sit there with no cuffs.  This all goes back to the treatment you receive from a cop is usually proportional to the distraction or threat you present.
(06-07-2015, 09:28 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Those people should also see a difference in how the two groups are acting....namely that those white criminals have ceded full control of the situation and cooperating.  When you cooperate and cede control, then the cops don't need to do anything to establish and maintain control.

I don't think one needs to be a cop to understand it makes perfect sense when people are crowding around, just being rowdy or not, that you need to disperse the crowd to a safe distance to do your job effectively and securely.

As bad as that cop was, he gave those kids multiple chances to disperse...and the ones who continually ignored that got a pair of bracelets.  And there's also the couple of boys detained to sit there with no cuffs.  This all goes back to the treatment you receive from a cop is usually proportional to the distraction or threat you present.
I agree with you for the most part.  But damn the one officer (compared to the other officers) was freaking out.  I definitely agree the barrel roll in the beginning is hilarious LOL.  Though to be fair I think he may have tripped.

Does anybody know what the "disturbance" was that they were responding to in the first place?  I couldn't tell.
(06-07-2015, 09:41 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: But damn the one officer (compared to the other officers) was freaking out. 

I'd say he was being more forceful and patient than aggressive, up until going off on the girl.  Prior to that, I really didn't see anything wrong with how he was handling it.

Now why did he single her out from the others...I'd like to know what she was saying.
I'd have to go back and watch the video again, but my first impression was that another officer was talking casually with the same teens Mr. Raging Cop comes in and orders to the ground a bit into the video. Then, when raging cop pulls the gun, that same officer is one that comes running from behind to help calm him down.

Who knows what the call was about and they weren't doing what he said. But I think it's clear he got way outta control there with the girl. Pepper spray or the other officers backing him up ordering the teens to disperse would have been better options.

Raging officer was out of control there, and went way to far taking his fury out on a mouthy young teen in a bikin who clearly wasn't that big a threat.
(06-07-2015, 09:55 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I'd say he was being more forceful and patient than aggressive, up until going off on the girl.  Prior to that, I really didn't see anything wrong with how he was handling it.

Now why did he single her out from the others...I'd like to know what she was saying.

Dude was raging from the barrel role. IMO.
The officers were responding to a disturbance involving some sort of altercation between a mother and daughter or an adult and a teen. They were at a private club and these kids weren't suppose to be there, according to the article. I don't believe that. It can be heard clear and plain that they were attending a birthday party.

My thoughts on the situation is that the video doesn't show why the LEO's were disbursing the crowd. However, and I may reaching for conclusions here, it's obvious to me they felt threatened in some way because most of the crowd were black. My presumptions may be based on something totally unrelated but this morning I watched a documentary on HBO about a town in South Georgia that only two years ago integrated their HS prom. The film focuses on a murder that occurred where an older white man shot and killed a young black man. The overall theme though was that racism is alive and well and in some areas segregation is still a reality. That's evident, to me anyway, when I see things like the video in the OP. Excuses will be made though in the end. Racial implications will be denied and eventually accepted because the 'N' word wasn't used and the establishment is still very much white and in denial, particularly where rednecks dwell.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
One cop needed to use better judgment. Assess the situation: these kids were not armed, were not drinking or doing drugs. One officer handled the situation poorly, that is not even in question--physically assaulting a young teenager and cussing at the other ones. It was uncalled for and there is no justification for it. One officer handled the situation with the type of composure and respect that you would hope for in every situation.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
(06-07-2015, 09:28 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Those people should also see a difference in how the two groups are acting....namely that those white criminals have ceded full control of the situation and cooperating.  When you cooperate and cede control, then the cops don't need to do anything to establish and maintain control.

I don't disagree with you, though I still see an overreaction from one officer. I think another thing they are missing in their comparison has to do with the time frame of events. The pictures of the bikers are after the situation has been handled. During the incident, when the officers first arrived, I'm sure it was a lot more about the gun waving and cursing at them then we see in those pictures. You don't see an M4 slung over the shoulder of any of the officers at the pool incident.

But anyway, this is the realm of Twitter. They tend to get hypersensitive to events like this. I'm not even going to look at tumblr to see what is going on there.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
McKinney is where I got my latest dog. (5 yrs ago) Drove all the way from Cincy and back. What does this have to do with the thread you may ask? Nothing.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Didn't really see any racial issue, or issue with force. The officer probably shouldn't have pulled a firearm, but it's not possible to say what was going through his mind when faced with that many people who aren't listening.

FWIW, the kids weren't supposed to be there. They were trespassing. They were being unruly in a pool that they weren't supposed to be at. They were asked to leave and didn't. An officer was within his rights to physically remove them.
(06-08-2015, 12:01 PM)Benton Wrote: Didn't really see any racial issue, or issue with force. The officer probably shouldn't have pulled a firearm, but it's not possible to say what was going through his mind when faced with that many people who aren't listening.

FWIW, the kids weren't supposed to be there. They were trespassing. They were being unruly in a pool that they weren't supposed to be at. They were asked to leave and didn't. An officer was within his rights to physically remove them.

No need to draw your firearm in this instance.  I think he was trying to scare them, which is not a proper use of your sidearm.  I can tell you that trying to deal with any large group of teenagers can strain the patience of a saint.  The twitter outrage is just more evidence of the click bait media agenda of late and comparing radically different situations to "prove" your point just drives the two sides further apart.  I can tell you all of this BS has had a real effect out in the field.  A school liaison officer at Compton HS was assaulted last month by a large group of students.  That's just not something that used to happen.  I hope all the race baiters and media click baiters will appreciate the toxic atmosphere they've helped create because it's not going away any time soon.
(06-08-2015, 12:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: No need to draw your firearm in this instance.  I think he was trying to scare them, which is not a proper use of your sidearm.  I can tell you that trying to deal with any large group of teenagers can strain the patience of a saint.  The twitter outrage is just more evidence of the click bait media agenda of late and comparing radically different situations to "prove" your point just drives the two sides further apart.  I can tell you all of this BS has had a real effect out in the field.  A school liaison officer at Compton HS was assaulted last month by a large group of students.  That's just not something that used to happen.  I hope all the race baiters and media click baiters will appreciate the toxic atmosphere they've helped create because it's not going away any time soon.

1. Agree, the race issue is 100% media driven for the ratings of course.

2. I'm one of the first one's to defend officers in most instances.

3. He, IMHO, way overreacted to a situation that wasn't that out of control.

4. Shame on those other officers for not stepping up and helping the officer that was obviously losing his composure and overreacting.