Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McShay Mock 1.0
(12-16-2022, 03:51 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: If Bell gets away in FA, safety is certainly in play in Rd1. Branch (Alabama) and Johnson (Texas A&M) are both legit 1st rounders. We could also try and move CTB to safety, pair him with Hill, and go CB in Rd1 (and make retaining Apple more of a priority). Maybe anothe S in rounds 2-5 to pair with Anderson as a backup.

But all those young S's make me nervous, as does moving CTB to S.

We do have some options, though.

I'd hope we don't go 3 young players in the secondary. 2 points of contention is:
a. Mistakes are going to happen. This is asking for more mistakes than we should be comfortable.
b. Trying to resign 3 players to a 2nd contract in the secondary will be EXPENSIVE. Especially if trying to do it at the same time. 

But with that said, I would be interested in a S like Jammie Robinson from FSU as a depth piece, maybe future starter. May even get him in around round 5.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2022, 05:12 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I'd hope we don't go 3 young players in the secondary. 2 points of contention is:
a. Mistakes are going to happen. This is asking for more mistakes than we should be comfortable.
b. Trying to resign 3 players to a 2nd contract in the secondary will be EXPENSIVE. Especially if trying to do it at the same time. 

But with that said, I would be interested in a S like Jammie Robinson from FSU as a depth piece, maybe future starter. May even get him in around round 5.

Agree that 3 young pieces in the secondary as starters would be bumpy.  Bell would be my #1 priority of all our pricier FA's for that reason (Bates, Bell, Pratt, Hurst, Apple, Perine). Still, we drafted Hill (who should step in for Bates), CTB (looks like starter quality), and Anderson (on IR all year) last year. 

Bates, Bell, Apple, Flowers, and Davis are all FA's. So is Michael Thomas. So is Brandon Wilson. We may not have a choice. Breaking it down: 

Safety. Hill and Anderson are signed. Both drafted this year. Bates & Bell are both FAs, Bates almost certainly is out of our price range and/or we'd have to forgo signing 2-3-4 of the other guys to retain him. He's good. Not sure he's THAT good, and we already have Hill. All of our non-Hill S depth is either hurt (Anderson, Wilson), mostly a special teams player (Thomas, Wilson), and/or also a FA (Thomas, Wilson). Point being, even if Bell stays, we could use a S who can actually play some (I do like Robinson as good value 5th/6th). If he leaves, we need a starter quality guy ASAP and likely cannot afford to pay a vet FA. If we lose Bell & Bates, it would also probably mean Pratt, Hurst, and Apple are back, so the pressure to draft a TE/CB/LB would be a lot less. But safety would rise to the top of the list. 

CB. Hilton, CTB, and Chido are signed. Apple, Flowers, & Davis all FA's. George on the PS is interesting. Still, with Chido hurt and Apple a FA, and a deep CB class, I can see taking a CB in Rd1 if one of the top 6-7 are there. Can never have too many corners. Even if Eli is back. If CTB continues balling and Hill shows well in the slot, maybe CB becomes less of a priority. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2022, 09:07 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Agree that 3 young pieces in the secondary as starters would be bumpy.  Bell would be my #1 priority of all our pricier FA's for that reason (Bates, Bell, Pratt, Hurst, Apple, Perine). Still, we drafted Hill (who should step in for Bates), CTB (looks like starter quality), and Anderson (on IR all year) last year. 

Bates, Bell, Apple, Flowers, and Davis are all FA's. So is Michael Thomas. So is Brandon Wilson. We may not have a choice. Breaking it down: 

Safety. Hill and Anderson are signed. Both drafted this year. Bates & Bell are both FAs, Bates almost certainly is out of our price range and/or we'd have to forgo signing 2-3-4 of the other guys to retain him. He's good. Not sure he's THAT good, and we already have Hill. All of our non-Hill S depth is either hurt (Anderson, Wilson), mostly a special teams player (Thomas, Wilson), and/or also a FA (Thomas, Wilson). Point being, even if Bell stays, we could use a S who can actually play some (I do like Robinson as good value 5th/6th). If he leaves, we need a starter quality guy ASAP and likely cannot afford to pay a vet FA. If we lose Bell & Bates, it would also probably mean Pratt, Hurst, and Apple are back, so the pressure to draft a TE/CB/LB would be a lot less. But safety would rise to the top of the list. 

CB. Hilton, CTB, and Chido are signed. Apple, Flowers, & Davis all FA's. George on the PS is interesting. Still, with Chido hurt and Apple a FA, and a deep CB class, I can see taking a CB in Rd1 if one of the top 6-7 are there. Can never have too many corners. Even if Eli is back. If CTB continues balling and Hill shows well in the slot, maybe CB becomes less of a priority. 

If we bring back Bell and leave Pratt to find another team (hope not), do we consider drafting one of these down hill S and maybe consider a 4-1-6? What thoughts would you have on a S but converting them to a LB/Slash role like a JL Skinner from Boise? I figure a long term S would likely have as good coverage skills as upper tier LBs and add the harder hitting traits?
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2022, 12:22 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: If we bring back Bell and leave Pratt to find another team (hope not), do we consider drafting one of these down hill S and maybe consider a 4-1-6? What thoughts would you have on a S but converting them to a LB/Slash role like a JL Skinner from Boise? I figure a long term S would likely have as good coverage skills as upper tier LBs and add the harder hitting traits?

Yeah. If Pratt gets away, I think a Day 2 LB is in play. I'd assume if Pratt is gone, then Bell & Hurst are back. Probably Apple, too. Still think CB/DE/OT are all in play Rounds 1-3. But LB would be as well. Though I do feel relatively good about our reserve LB's (ADG & Bailey). Not as good as Pratt this year (and last year's PO), but adequate. 
Reply/Quote
The Bengals don't have a ton of weaknesses. So, any player falling to them will be snapped up and will somewhat determine who we re-sign.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
CBS Sports has 3-4-5 folks that pump out mock drafts once a week or so. Of varying quality & realism. Most are 10,000 feet and not too plugged in to Bengaldom. Latest I could find:

1. Josh Edwards, Dec 22nd. #28: O'Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida.

With Witherspoon & Phiilps at corner, Van Ness and Foskey at DE, Addison at WR, and Ika at NT all on the board, I seriously doubt it. And while we certainly lack an OL stud, guard is a strage spot. Cappa is our best lineman and they are over the moon with Volson. If all the CB & DE options are off the table, and there is no round 1 worthy OT left, then maybe. But this pick only helps the future cap sheet if we waive our best lineman (Cappa), and it only improves us on the field if we bump Volson. Does not make much sense to me.

Though, the consensus mock draft site has him as our pick. With Witherspoon availavle. He's have to be a STUD for this to work. Serious Volson upgrade near term.

2. Chris Trapasso, Dec 21st. #28: Joey Porter, Jr , CB, Penn State.

He has his CBs in a bit of a different order, and I'd prefer a still available Witherspoon to Porter, but CB makes a ton of sense, and seeing Sr in Orange and Black cheering for his son could be appealing. Robinson, Van Ness, Foskey also on board.

3. Ryan Wilson, Dec 20th. #27: Broderick Thomas, OT, Georgia.

I don't think he'll be there, but if he is, picking him makes a ton of sense.
Reply/Quote
I would love for the Bengals to draft Max Duggan if you can get him in the 5th or 6th round

Luxary pick for sure but I think he's a baller and would be a hell of a backup.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35398183/de-jared-verse-projected-1st-round-pick-staying-fsu

Kind of surprising but take Verse off the board
Reply/Quote