Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McShay predicts Bengals' first 3 picks
(04-18-2017, 06:55 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: That it is...I haven't totally given up on Kroft.  He was supposedly dealing with a lot of injuries last year but tried to play through them.  I really liked what I saw out of Uzomah, and the forgotten man is Hewitt.  Dude catches everything thrown at him, yet got $5 million last year to mostly sit on the bench.  I don't get it.  He got about half a million per touch.  

I think our base formation should be 3 WR, 1TE, and 1RB.  That is what Zampese has been under the longest (Brat and Gruden) so I think he will have more designs for that.  If Eifert isn't careful, Uzomah might steal his thunder and he would become another...wait for it....compensatory pick! 

I, for the life of me, can't understand why Zampese would just game plan a valuable weapon, like Hewitt, out like he did.  Hewitt makes his money as the H-back, primarily for his blocking, and like you said, he rarely misses a ball thrown his general direction.  If you ask me, with all of the re-shuffling on the OL, they are going to need to incorporate Hewitt back into the game plan, in order to have successful, ball controlling drives.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Of course i would be happy with that. We would get a fine pass rusher even if he still needs to work on
stopping the run, he would be great on passing downs for us. Schuster would be a nice pick and i like his
physicality, i just think we need great speed. Curtis Samuel i think would fit us better...

Or better yet, John Ross, but he won't be around in the 2nd.

Perine is one tough RB to bring down, love the way the guy runs and he is a decent blocker in the passing
game. This has to be a thought when drafting a RB.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 07:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I, for the life of me, can't understand why Zampese would just game plan a valuable weapon, like Hewitt, out like he did.  Hewitt makes his money as the H-back, primarily for his blocking, and like you said, he rarely misses a ball thrown his general direction.  If you ask me, with all of the re-shuffling on the OL, they are going to need to incorporate Hewitt back into the game plan, in order to have successful, ball controlling drives.

Zampese was one of the biggest coaching disappointments for me in many years, since Brat, and that's saying a lot.  I thought he was horrible.
Reply/Quote
Really starting to like the Perine suggestion.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 11:23 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Really starting to like the Perine suggestion.

A really good option in a committee approach.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 11:23 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Really starting to like the Perine suggestion.

He's a sledgehammer, I'd like to see more of an all-purpose type back.  Part of the offensive problem has been personnel in the formation tipping as to what the play is going to be.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 05:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He's a sledgehammer, I'd like to see more of an all-purpose type back.  Part of the offensive problem has been personnel in the formation tipping as to what the play is going to be.

Which is why his old buddy Mixon might be the thought earlier.

Best vision of any back in this draft with great hands.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 05:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Which is why his old buddy Mixon might be the thought earlier.

Best vision of any back in this draft with great hands.

Yeah, I hate what he did.  But, one cannot deny his football talent.  But yes, he is what I would call an all-purpose back.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 06:55 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: That it is...I haven't totally given up on Kroft.  He was supposedly dealing with a lot of injuries last year but tried to play through them.  I really liked what I saw out of Uzomah, and the forgotten man is Hewitt.  Dude catches everything thrown at him, yet got $5 million last year to mostly sit on the bench.  I don't get it.  He got about half a million per touch.  

I think our base formation should be 3 WR, 1TE, and 1RB.  That is what Zampese has been under the longest (Brat and Gruden) so I think he will have more designs for that.  If Eifert isn't careful, Uzomah might steal his thunder and he would become another...wait for it....compensatory pick! 

I'm already over Eifert.  He misses too many games to get a big payday IMO.  Uzomah will probably be the starting TE opening day because there is no timeline on Eifert...again.   
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 06:08 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I'm already over Eifert.  He misses too many games to get a big payday IMO.  Uzomah will probably be the starting TE opening day because there is no timeline on Eifert...again.   

Uzomah is an interesting player.  He's got all the physical tools to be a superstar at the position.  I'd love to read an article about him spending one on one time with AJ Green working out.  Perhaps some of that AJ Green discipline and desire to win would rub off on him?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 05:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I hate what he did.  But, one cannot deny his football talent.  But yes, he is what I would call an all-purpose back.

Same here man. Completely agree as usual Sunset.
Reply/Quote
Well at least if the Bengals do that I won't have to watch them play anymore
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2017, 12:06 AM)eoxyod Wrote: Well at least if the Bengals do that I won't have to watch them play anymore

If that is the case, shouldn't watch them anymore anyways with what Adam has done over, and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. What Mixon done was terribly pathetic, but it was a one time thing i am sure of it. He won't do that again.

It is the repeat offenders that i am not for at all.

Mixon is in our thought process whether we like it or not and RB is a huge need on this team.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2017, 01:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If that is the case, shouldn't watch them anymore anyways with what Adam has done over, and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. What Mixon done was terribly pathetic, but it was a one time thing i am sure of it. He won't do that again.

It is the repeat offenders that i am not for at all.

Mixon is in our thought process whether we like it or not and RB is a huge need on this team.

But...this mock didn't have Mixon

I just hate it generally
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2017, 06:00 PM)eoxyod Wrote: But...this mock didn't have Mixon

I just hate it generally

Oh, apologize, thought you meant you wouldn't have to watch the Bengals play anymore if they drafted Mixon...

Some have said this.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are NOT taking any of the top 3 D-lends first.

Barnett, Allen, and Thomas are all 6-3. The Bengals D-Ends are all 6-6 or taller with the exception of Gilberry.

They want their ends tall with basketball player type builds. It's been this way for many years. They aren't going with a 6-3 DE that high.

Taco Charlton is the one DE, who is rated pretty highly, that I could see them taking.

Regardless, the Bengals need OFFENSIVE reloading more than defensive. I see this being an offense heavy draft big time.

Mike Williams/Corey Davis, Joe Mixon, and then a DE, then Butt from MI. I see that being a possible first 4 picks. but no way do they take a DE that short in the 1st. No way.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2017, 11:10 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The Bengals are NOT taking any of the top 3 D-lends first.

Barnett, Allen, and Thomas are all 6-3. The Bengals D-Ends are all 6-6 or taller with the exception of Gilberry.

They want their ends tall with basketball player type builds. It's been this way for many years. They aren't going with a 6-3 DE that high.

Taco Charlton is the one DE, who is rated pretty highly, that I could see them taking.

Regardless, the Bengals need OFFENSIVE reloading more than defensive. I see this being an offense heavy draft big time.

Mike Williams/Corey Davis, Joe Mixon, and then a DE, then Butt from MI. I see that being a possible first 4 picks. but no way do they take a DE that short in the 1st. No way.

According to Guenther they are changing this up and as long as the End can rush the passer that is what matters.

Having long arms is the only thing he spoke of preferring. Getting Chris Smith in the trade with Jacksonville also hints
at this changing as the guy is only like 6'1" but he is a fast pass rusher. I am happy Paulie G is changing this stubborn
way of drafting, i want a Von Miller type, doesn't matter how tall or big they are if they cannot rush the passer.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2017, 11:10 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The Bengals are NOT taking any of the top 3 D-lends first.

As pointed out below, we no longer subscribe to the giant DE. We just traded for a 6'3 DE and Guenther did note that size isn't that big an issue.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 12:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: According to Guenther they are changing this up and as long as the End can rush the passer that is what matters.

Having long arms is the only thing he spoke of preferring. Getting Chris Smith in the trade with Jacksonville also hints
at this changing as the guy is only like 6'1" but he is a fast pass rusher. I am happy Paulie G is changing this stubborn
way of drafting, i want a Von Miller type, doesn't matter how tall or big they are if they cannot rush the passer.

(04-21-2017, 12:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: As pointed out below, we no longer subscribe to the giant DE. We just traded for a 6'3 DE and Guenther did note that size isn't that big an issue.

Going by the current roster, only 1 DE out of 5 is shorter than 6-6.

The new guy they just brought in is being talked about as a LB, rush end or specialized type of player - not a rotational, regular down DE, which is what you think the Bengals would be looking for with that high of a pick. Plus, they JUST brought in a shorter guy. Why would they now want 3 (assuming Gilberry is on the opening day roster)? That flies in the face of what the Bengals look for in DEs.

I'm not saying I agree with the height requirement. Just pointing out that, REGARDLESS OF A COORDINATOR'S COMMENTS BEFORE THE NFL DRAFT <----- if you're gullible enough to believe him, the Bengals have not kept a DE around shorter than 6-6, save for Gilberry, in many seasons.

BTW, I can't find the article with the Guenther comments you two are referring to. Could you link it to me? Not being a smart ass, I would like to read it.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 03:34 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Going by the current roster, only 1 DE out of 5 is shorter than 6-6.

The new guy they just brought in is being talked about as a LB, rush end or specialized type of player - not a rotational, regular down DE, which is what you think the Bengals would be looking for with that high of a pick. Plus, they JUST brought in a shorter guy. Why would they now want 3 (assuming Gilberry is on the opening day roster)? That flies in the face of what the Bengals look for in DEs.

I'm not saying I agree with the height requirement. Just pointing out that, REGARDLESS OF A COORDINATOR'S COMMENTS BEFORE THE NFL DRAFT <----- if you're gullible enough to believe him, the Bengals have not kept a DE around shorter than 6-6, save for Gilberry, in many seasons.

BTW, I can't find the article with the Guenther comments you two are referring to. Could you link it to me? Not being a smart ass, I would like to read it.

Evolution is a crazy thing. How we did stuff in the past doesn't dictate future decisions only how those decisions were made previously. We have broken a lot of personnel and drafting trends in recent years, so to think we could again isn't weird, especially when a coordinator flat out said he doesn't care about the height.

The article was on Bengals.com sometime between January and March, not sure when.
Reply/Quote