Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Media Draft Grades
I know the consensus is: who cares what the meia thinks. But I Thought it would be nice to have a thread that provides some links and discussion regarding the medias draft grades for this years draft. I'll start it off with Pete priscos take of all 32 teams

Teaser: he handed out 5 A's, 2 D's and 0 F's.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/priscos-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams-five-earn-as-two-fall-short-with-ds/amp/

Anyone else come across an article or maybe hear other members of the media hand out grades? Good, bad or indifferent, post them here.

Reply/Quote
Pete Prisco, CBS Sports, gave bengals an A.

I thought the Bengals had as good draft as any team in the league. Taking receiver John Ross with the ninth pick is a bit of a risk, but you can't coach speed. They took a different type of risk with Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon in the second round, but the kid is the best runner in the draft. They clearly looked past the assault video to take him. They then landed two good pass rushers in Kansas StateJordan Willis and Auburn's Carl Lawson, two players who will compete to start at right end. Fourth-round receiver Josh Malone from Tennessee can fly. There are some risks here, but I think they will pay off big.
Grade: A
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
dieter kurtenbach, fox sports, B+

I love the picks. John Ross is a stud, Joe Mixon — as a football player — is absurd value at a position of need. Jordan Willis and Carl Lawson were both first-round talents at a massive position of need in rounds 3 and 4. But no offensive linemen? Did you just forget to draft them?
Reply/Quote
Chad Reuter, NFL.com, A-

Overall grade: A-
The skinny: Ross is a talented, extremely fast receiver (4.22 40), but given Ross' injury history, it's tough not to consider that when making him a top-10 pick. Nonetheless, adding Ross to play alongside A.J. Green and Tyler Eifert makes quarterback Andy Dalton smile. It wasn't a surprise to see Joe Mixon land in Cincinatti, given that they've taken on players with character concerns before. Jordan Willis fell to the middle of the third round, and the Bengals took full advantage. He's a damn fine player who should have went earlier.

The Bengals again selected a talented player with question marks in linebacker Carl Lawson; his injuries and inconsistency made him fall, but as a designated pass rusher he'll be just fine. Adding speedy receiver Josh Malone to Mixon and Ross makes the team dangerous; Andy Dalton is a happy man. They went with a solid football player in Glasgow in the late fourth; he could play offensive (like his brother, Graham) or defensive line. Getting a reliable kicker was a good move in the fifth round, and J.J. Dielman will be a long-time pro who can play anywhere on the offensive line.
Reply/Quote
Dan Kadar, SB Nation compiled the following.

Bengals
The feelings about the Bengals draft centered on the selection of running back Joe Mixon in the second round. And it’s not even exactly about him punching a woman in the face. It was about the value of the pick since so many teams had him off their draft board. Some were averse to the pick of John Ross in the first round.

SB Nation grade: B-

CBS Sports: A

USA Today: B

Sports Illustrated: A-

Washington Post: C-
Reply/Quote
Dane Brugler, CBS thinks bengals improved the most of any team.

Cincinnati Bengals
1 (9) John Ross, WR, Washington
2 (48) Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma
3 (73) Jordan Willis, DE, Kansas State
4 (116) Carl Lawson, DE, Auburn
4 (128) Josh Malone, WR, Tennessee
4 (138) Ryan Glasgow, DT, Michigan
5 (153) Jake Elliott, PK, Memphis
5 (176) J.J. Dielman, OC, Utah
6 (193) Jordan Evans, LB, Oklahoma
6 (207) Brandon Wilson, RB/CB, Houston
7 (251) Mason Schreck, TE, Buffalo
Quarterback Andy Dalton was one of the biggest winners of this draft with the additions of Ross and Mixon with the Bengals' first two selections. Ross has the explosive speed to stretch the field, but also the polished routes to create for himself. Mixon hasn't taken a snap in the NFL, but it might not take long for him to be the second-best running back in the AFC North behind Le'Veon Bell, which also happens to be his closest NFL comparison.
Willis in the third round was excellent value and then Lawson was even better in the fourth, which is a round the Bengals have found success before with defensive linemen (Geno Atkins, Andrew Billings, Domata Peko). Dielman missed most of his senior season due to injury, but if he stays healthy, he could be the future starting center in Cincinnati. Evans is a good-sized athlete who can do a little bit of everything on the football field and was one of the most notable Combine snubs.
Reply/Quote
So after posting all of those "media analysis" I would agree that the bengals had a good draft... Knowing what we know. Unfortunately every single grade on a draft will change over time and it will take 2-3 years to full evaluate a draft.

The bengals added a lot of talent but will that equal success on the field? It is hard to tell.

2005 was a good draft immediately after and even after the first year. By 2006 the 2005 draft was basically useless with pollack out with a broken neck, and Thurman suspended basically the rest of his career for choosing drugs over football. By 2009 I wish the 2005 draft never happened, RIP Chris Henry.

That draft just goes to show how far on the spectrum you can go from an A+ draft to basically an incomplete or F in a matter of years.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:18 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: So after posting all of those "media analysis" I would agree that the bengals had a good draft... Knowing what we know. Unfortunately every single grade on a draft will change over time and it will take 2-3 years to full evaluate a draft.

The bengals added a lot of talent but will that equal success on the field? It is hard to tell.

2005 was a good draft immediately after and even after the first year. By 2006 the 2005 draft was basically useless with pollack out with a broken neck, and Thurman suspended basically the rest of his career for choosing drugs over football. By 2009 I wish the 2005 draft never happened, RIP Chris Henry.

That draft just goes to show how far on the spectrum you can go from an A+ draft to basically an incomplete or F in a matter of years.

Thank you for posting.

Yeah I agree these grades mean nothing right now. But I'll be the first to admit they are a guilty pleasure of mine. I'm also interested in the board members banter about the grades and also like getting their personal take of the draft as well. Thought a mass grade thread made sense.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:18 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: So after posting all of those "media analysis" I would agree that the bengals had a good draft... Knowing what we know.  Unfortunately every single grade on a draft will change over time and it will take 2-3 years to full evaluate a draft.  

The bengals added a lot of talent but will that equal success on the field?  It is hard to tell.

2005 was a good draft immediately after and even after the first year.  By 2006 the 2005 draft was basically useless with pollack out with a broken neck, and Thurman suspended basically the rest of his career for choosing drugs over football.  By 2009 I wish the 2005 draft never happened, RIP Chris Henry.

Absolutely this. It always makes me laugh every year the media hype up the draft by saying so-and-so is a beast, will improve [insert team's] O-Line for the next 10 season etc etc.... yet if you right now look back at recent first round drafts, you'll see busts all over the place.

It's a total crapshoot. Every pick can be a total bust, or an injury case. Judging a draft that happened a couple of days ago is pointless. But it is fun and interesting to do.

On topic, I think the media are doing us a good service with this draft, I think we had a draft better than most teams and most of the media seem to agree.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:08 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Chad Reuter, NFL.com, A-
They went with a solid football player in Glasgow in the late fourth; he could play offensive (like his brother, Graham) or defensive line.

Really? Shocked
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:30 AM)Cure4CF Wrote: Really? Shocked

I read that too..... Hahahaha.  Let's just hope he pushes a good camp battle.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:18 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: So after posting all of those "media analysis" I would agree that the bengals had a good draft... Knowing what we know.  Unfortunately every single grade on a draft will change over time and it will take 2-3 years to full evaluate a draft.  

The bengals added a lot of talent but will that equal success on the field?  It is hard to tell.

2005 was a good draft immediately after and even after the first year.  By 2006 the 2005 draft was basically useless with pollack out with a broken neck, and Thurman suspended basically the rest of his career for choosing drugs over football.  By 2009 I wish the 2005 draft never happened, RIP Chris Henry.

I may be wrong as my memory is not what it used to be, but I believe we received low marks for our 2005 draft. Pollack was a tweener and we were dinged for it and they hated Thurman due to his character concerns (unfortunately they were correct on Thurman, but wrong as Pollack was coming into his own until the injury.

But I do agree, good or bad rating's the day after a draft are meaningless. The Mixon pick was unacceptable for some, I understand it to a point, but we all need forgiveness in the eyes of God.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 11:41 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote:  I may be wrong as my memory is not what it used to be, but I believe we received low marks for our 2005 draft. Pollack was a tweener and we were dinged for it and they hated Thurman due to his character concerns (unfortunately they were correct on Thurman, but wrong as Pollack was coming into his own until the injury.

But I do agree, good or bad rating's the day after a draft are meaningless. The Mixon pick was unacceptable for some, I understand it to a point, but we all need forgiveness in the eyes of God.

on 5/1/05: 
Grade given on 6/3/08: D  

Good Moves: Cincinnati's first two picks--DE David Pollack and MLB Odell Thurman--will be stars on the Bengals' defense for a very long time. Central Michigan offensive linemen Eric Ghiaciuc and Adam Kieft are welcome additions to the Bengals' offensive line. Cincinnati chose WR Chris Henry in the third round. While Henry has some character issues, he is worth the risk in the third round.  

Bad Moves: I was not a fan of Marvin Lewis' sixth- and seventh-round choices.  

June 3, 2008 Update: The draft is unpredictable for a number of reasons. I often state how difficult it is to project how prospects will play at the next level, given that there are so many busts in the top 10. Another reason is injury. David Pollack (No. 17 overall) was forced to retire this season after playing just 17 games in his career. 

Something less difficult to project is character and work ethic. The Bengals clearly didn't pay attention to those things in 2005, as their second- and third-round choices were used on Odell Thurman and Chris Henry, respectively. Both were kicked off the team this offseason. 

The rest of the Bengals' draft was unspectacular, save for the fourth-round pick. Eric Ghiaciuc played well as Cincinnati's starting center in 2007 ... Adam Kieft (5th round) never materialized into an NFL player ... Tab Perry (6th round) may have suffered a career-ending injury, though he wasn't anything special before that ... Jonathan Fanene (7th round) is a solid reserve defensive lineman for the team.  

Potential 2005 Starters: DE David Pollack, MLB Odell Thurman. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 11:41 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote:  I may be wrong as my memory is not what it used to be, but I believe we received low marks for our 2005 draft. Pollack was a tweener and we were dinged for it and they hated Thurman due to his character concerns (unfortunately they were correct on Thurman, but wrong as Pollack was coming into his own until the injury.

Mel kipper on 2005 Cincinnati Bengals: A-

Defensive end David Pollack and linebacker Odell Thurman were teammates at Georgia and are immediate upgrades for the front seven on Marvin Lewis' defense.

and thanks to his great physical attributes receiver Chris Henry is a good gamble in the third round despite some character questions.

I'm guessing this is a pretty depressing draft for Bengals fans. Thurman and Pollack weren't big contributors for different reasons and Chris Henry should probably get credit for helping the NFL overhaul its conduct code for players. I'm not sure we should increase the draft grade because of this though, so I won't be nice. Another big miss by Kiper. I'd give the Bengals points since Henry and Pollack's failures weren't their fault, but I'm not in a good mood today. This is a "C-" draft at best
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 12:08 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Bad moves: I was not a fan of Marvin Lewis' sixth- and seventh-round choices.  

My favorite part was how insightful this analysis was.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 12:10 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Mel kipper on 2005 Cincinnati Bengals: A-

Defensive end David Pollack and linebacker Odell Thurman were teammates at Georgia and are immediate upgrades for the front seven on Marvin Lewis' defense.

and thanks to his great physical attributes receiver Chris Henry is a good gamble in the third round despite some character questions.

I'm guessing this is a pretty depressing draft for Bengals fans. Thurman and Pollack weren't big contributors for different reasons and Chris Henry should probably get credit for helping the NFL overhaul its conduct code for players. I'm not sure we should increase the draft grade because of this though, so I won't be nice. Another big miss by Kiper. I'd give the Bengals points since Henry and Pollack's failures weren't their fault, but I'm not in a good mood today. This is a "C-" draft at best

Fair enough, I am not an ESPN or Kiper guy now or did I read his stuff back then. But, yes you did provide a few examples of high marks so I was wrong, I guess imagined the part where experts hated Pollack being a tweener, Thurman and Henry character concerns.

Question though, how did Kiper rank our 2017 draft with Mixon and his character concerns? Just curious. It appears to me the experts are far more dismissive with the Bengals now than other teams like the Raider who have a 1st round pick being investigated for rape or a guy who has charges filed against him for assault less than 30 days.

Also, I will say it one more time, some of these experts talking have had a DUI or have driven drunk, but lose the morale high ground for an that act, an act that kills innocent people daily.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:31 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I read that too..... Hahahaha.  Let's just hope he pushes a good camp battle.

He has actually played both before and his brother is an NFL lineman.  This guy has gotten better every year and as his body fully matures he will be a beast.  I love how he carries himself and the toughness/leadership he brings to a team.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 12:52 PM)Okeana Wrote: He has actually played both before and his brother is an NFL lineman.  This guy has gotten better every year and as his body fully matures he will be a beast.  I love how he carries himself and the toughness/leadership he brings to a team.

Rob gronkowiski is a beast but let's not pretend like that has anything to do with his brothers.  Everyone is different and translating college game to the pros is never a sure fire thing.  Hope he ends up being an all pro at a position, but first I want to see a good camp battle. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 12:10 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Mel kipper on 2005 Cincinnati Bengals: A-

I think that was a fair assessment given the players.  These guys had a lot of problems off the field and there is only so much a team can do.  Thurman could have been one of the best linebackers at the time, but the money gave him access to his demons and we all know what happened.  Pollack is just a sad situation.  Henry had  turmoil in his life that eventually killed him, but he was a great player for us on the field.  

Our team now is much better than it was 10 years ago and our coaching staff is wiser and the locker room has high character guys.  No team is perfect

Reply/Quote
I think draft grades are done based on potential and then the likelihood that potential plays out. Otherwise, they serve no purpose. As much as people in the NFL and "experts" and fans like to act like they can predict the future, the fact is that the reason the NFL is so popular is because of its parity and unpredictability.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
Reply/Quote