Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Media attention
Seems like everyday I see on yahoo or espn about a player or sports writer talking about how teams should trade for Tee, the newest is Teddy Bruschi calling for the patriots to trade for him. With all this going on around the league, with current and retired players calling for their team to sign him. How bad does that hurt us? Obviously at this point he as well as his agent know the market is high on him. The likelihood of us keeping everyone together was slim. But now I think it’s a forgone conclusion there is no way Tee is here long term.
Reply/Quote
His agent is a pain in the ass to work with. I honestly am not sure we keep him long term. That being said, I can see us keeping him this year and then using the tag on him next year.

As long as we have Chase and Burrow we will be fine. Finding another 1,000 yard recieving to compliment them with isn't too hard to do - either through the draft of FA. I'm honestly more interested in suring up the OL at this point and making that a team strength.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
There are definitely ways to keep him around several more years or even long term. What will be interesting is how the bengals attack the draft and these extensions. We need to know how the extensions play out asap so they can draft accordingly. That’s why I’m in favor of extending anyone we can now. I’m sure they’re hard at work on those contracts. Hopefully they already have a good idea how these will turn out and are preparing for this offseason accordingly.

I do not think it’s a foregone conclusion that Tee is out the door in the next season or so. Media needs something to talk about and you can make a case for Tee being traded (although I’d say it makes a lot more sense to tag and trade him after next season than to trade him now) so it’s natural they bring it up for clicks and discussion.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 05:51 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: Seems like everyday I see on yahoo or espn about a player or sports writer talking about how teams should trade for Tee, the newest is Teddy Bruschi calling for the patriots to trade for him.   With all this going on around the league, with current and retired players calling for their team to sign him. How bad does that hurt us?  Obviously at this point he as well as his agent know the market is high on him.  The likelihood of us keeping everyone together was slim. But now I think it’s a forgone conclusion there is no way Tee is here long term.

Hard to say what Mulugheta's impact will be. He hasn't worked with many WR's and the last time he had one looking for a big extension (Michael Thomas) they parted ways and Thomas got his new deal done through Andrew Kessler of the same agency. 

As far as the media speculating about trading Tee, it has ZERO effect on what the Bengals will ultimately do. Remember when the national media was saying Joe wouldn't / shouldn't play here if the Bengals drafted him?

I feel like Tee will be extended because that's what everyone from the Bengals to Joe to Tee wants, and I think they'll find a way. 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 07:39 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: As far as the media speculating about trading Tee, it has ZERO effect on what the Bengals will ultimately do. Remember when the national media was saying Joe wouldn't / shouldn't play here if the Bengals drafted him?

It is obnoxious as hell though. They’re trying to speak it into existence. I’d have to dig to find them but there have even been sports networks out there listing him as a top five free agent. Donkey brains.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 05:51 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: Seems like everyday I see on yahoo or espn about a player or sports writer talking about how teams should trade for Tee, the newest is Teddy Bruschi calling for the patriots to trade for him.   With all this going on around the league, with current and retired players calling for their team to sign him. How bad does that hurt us?  Obviously at this point he as well as his agent know the market is high on him.  The likelihood of us keeping everyone together was slim. But now I think it’s a forgone conclusion there is no way Tee is here long term.

Is it allowed for current players to advocate for the signing of another player under contract?  

I tried to figure this out by looking up the NFL's anti-tampering policy. I saw this clause: "No club, nor any person employed by or otherwise affiliated with a club, is permitted to tamper with a player who is under contract to or whose exclusive negotiating rights are held by another club."

It would seem to me that players on one team are not permitted to call for their teams to sign Tee.

https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2018%20Policies/7-2018%20Anti-Tampering%20Policy-Clean%20Version.pdf
Reply/Quote
I love Tee and I'm advocating for him to be on the Bengals for a long time.

However part of me feels like this is a Bates, Mixon situation. Bengals are typically very good at finding WR talent in the draft... do you save money and allocate it elsewhere? It's an option not many have brought up.

Getting a 1st rounder and maybe a 3rd could help keep the team cap friendly and young.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 07:39 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Hard to say what Mulugheta's impact will be. He hasn't worked with many WR's and the last time he had one looking for a big extension (Michael Thomas) they parted ways and Thomas got his new deal done through Andrew Kessler of the same agency. 

As far as the media speculating about trading Tee, it has ZERO effect on what the Bengals will ultimately do. Remember when the national media was saying Joe wouldn't / shouldn't play here if the Bengals drafted him?

I feel like Tee will be extended because that's what everyone from the Bengals to Joe to Tee wants, and I think they'll find a way. 

Yep, the media went from saying this organization was a dumpster fire to saying that our #2 WR is better than most #1 WRs...the media has done a 180 and we're pissed for a whole new reason.

I assume this is what happens when you are good where other teams want your players hoping that it will make them good.  Burrow can make a lot of pass catchers look like hot commodities.  Too bad he didn't have a chance to make the media think John Ross could be a #1 elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
I would think the Bengals front office would know how extension talks are going by the time draft day comes along. If they think extending Tee is going to be improbable, they should dangle him and see if they can get a couple of 1st rounders for him.
Reply/Quote
From today's combine presser:

Duke Tobin calls trade talk around Higgins “a little ridiculous right now.”

“I’m not in the business of making other teams better. You want a great receiver go find your own.”
Reply/Quote
The articles on the Patriots going to get Tee to help Jones are over the top. They aren't getting him, they need to let it go.
Reply/Quote
Tee Higgins will be extended by the Bengals
All these media Firestarters like Teddy Brushi
Need to get out of fantasyland with Tee Higgins
And like Duke said "draft your own great WR"
All the Tee getting traded stuff is beyond ridiculous
Reply/Quote
If they don't trade the dude I hope they pay him. He's gonna make less than $4Mil this year. DK Metcalf was taken the year prior to Tee and will make over 3x that
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 09:13 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I love Tee and I'm advocating for him to be on the Bengals for a long time.

However part of me feels like this is a Bates, Mixon situation.  Bengals are typically very good at finding WR talent in the draft... do you save money and allocate it elsewhere?  It's an option not many have brought up.

Getting a 1st rounder and maybe a 3rd could help keep the team cap friendly and young.

this is basically how I feel.  The pragmatic part of me thinks trade and draft a replacement and have more money to spend on the Oline.  I just can't see re-signing Joe, Chase and Tee while having a decent Oline and a decent defense. 
That would be so much money that we could forget about Trey or DJ being able to fit in the budget.
  That being said if we hit several grand slams in the draft in the next 2 years on defense and the Oline keeping all 3 offensive superstars would be possible while playing good defense and protecting Joe Burrow.
Reply/Quote
Are we legitimately upset that members of our roster are appealing to other franchises?
Reply/Quote

Why?  Because the media says so?  Hope you don't fall for that crap in world events like you have in sports...

The talking heads lost their punching bag in the Bengals and now have to do whatever they can to try and crap on it in other ways.  

TEE WILL NOT BE TRADED THIS YEAR.  Anyone wants a wager on that, bring it.

They may not be able to sign him long term.  It doesn't bode well that he has the same agent as Bates, but Tee grew up a Bengals fan and I think he realizes what he has with Chase opposite and Burrow delivering him the ball.  I absolutely love his toughness and hope a deal can be worked out.  I would go cheap at LB, RB, and even TE before letting that one go.  
Reply/Quote