Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Media manipulation of children
(03-26-2018, 08:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Please, millennials don't care about anything but staring at their phones all day.  They stand for nothing and believe in nothing.  They're all just sitting there snapbook facechatting each other.  Also, they are entitled and want everything handed to them.  There is no way they're actually doing anything and/or caring about something unless the left wing is manipulating them to push their liberal agenda.

Well this girl might qualify as a Gen Z. There's hope for those and I don't think the millennals will like them.

I assume you're a  millennial
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-26-2018, 07:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sometimes you make valid points......Then you piss them away. 

(03-26-2018, 09:57 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Fat middle aged men talking about teenage girls haircuts screams issues.

FYI I am not always some cold hearted a-hole. Even when I don’t take a very delicate path. I have seen too much teen depression up close to not see the warning signs.

[Image: d1ETjn]

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40887208

Quote:Hairdressers refuse to shave depressed teen's matted hair - BBC News

Kayley Olsson Hairdresser transforms teen's hair
Beauty rituals may not be the first thing you think about in relation to mental health, but when an American hairdresser told her story about a teenage client with depression, thousands responded.

Kayley Olsson, a 20-year-old student hairdresser in Waterloo, Iowa, posted on Facebook on Tuesday about a girl who came into her salon with densely matted and tangled hair.

"Today I had one of the hardest experiences - I had a 16-year-girl come in who has been dealing with severe depression for a few years now," Kayley wrote in the post, which has been shared over 55,000 times.

The teen had explained to Kayley she "felt so down and so worthless she couldn't even brush her hair, she only got up to use the restroom."

The teenager had a school photograph scheduled and she asked the salon to cut off all her hair because she couldn't face the pain of combing out the matted knots and tangles.

But Kayley and her colleague Mariah Wenger, who are both beauty therapy students, refused to shear the teen's waist-length hair.

"Cutting her hair was absolutely not a option for me.

"I knew right then and there that we had to keep as much hair as possible," Kayley told the BBC.

"Shaving was a last resort and something none of us going in wanted to do," Mariah added.

Emma Watson's appeal to find her 'most special possession'.
From Baghdad to the bar: A blind refugee's journey
Lebanese woman digs up son's grave for refugee nobody would bury
The women untangled and combed the teenager's hair for 10 hours, spending two days with her.

Capri College Hairdresser Kayley Olsson
"We all deserve to feel beautiful," says hairdresser Kayley Olsson
"It took a lot of encouraging words, reassurance, and just plain conversation to take her mind off of the pain involved in removing the matting and to boost her self esteem and confidence.

"I was able to very closely relate to her mental health problems and the daily struggle that comes with them, due to my struggles with postpartum depression and anxiety," explained Mariah, who has two children.

"I understood how it felt to feel worthless - a child should never feel like that.

"I knew I had to help her, just like people helped me. We all deserve to feel beautiful," Kayley said.

After detangling it as far as shoulder height, Kayley and Mariah cut and shaped the teenager's hair.

"Let's just say we both let out tears of joy!

"Her last words to me were, 'I will actually smile for my schools pictures today, you made me feel like me again,'" Kayley explained.

Capri College Mariah Wenger, 25
Hairdresser Mariah Wenger says her experiences helped her empathise with the teenager
The post has received nearly 60,000 comments (at time of writing), including women relating their own experiences of mental health problems.

"It's happened to me - I suffer with bipolar and had an episode and didn't brush my hair or take care of myself - just remember beautiful girl you're not on your own," wrote Sarah-Lee on Facebook.

"I work with mental health and good for you. I see this daily it's sad but so true," said Renay St Amand.

"I've been in this position and I can't tell you how comforting and important it is for a hairdresser to be kind and understanding. I wasn't judged either and got my hair back to being beautiful," wrote Claire McDonald.

"I have been struggling with my depression and suicidal thoughts. It's hard to even get out of bed but I try to fight everything negative. Plus you are beautiful and you are worth something I promise," another woman posted.

"I'm so glad there are people out there who understand mental illness... So a big thank you to you for putting your whole heart into this lil lady," wrote Angelbear Read.

Others described how beauty and grooming can be important to people experiencing depression.

"You are awesome to recognize this as a mental issue and also for giving her back her dignity by fixing her hair issues," wrote Patricia Barron-Gondeiro.
(03-26-2018, 06:27 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Cause she looks like she has everything together as it is lol

That Dewey Oxburger haircut on a teenage girl screams issues.

Oh!  The old "judge a book by its cover" defense!  Got it.

Not a "proper" girl so she must have "issues".

Rolleyes

(03-26-2018, 10:32 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That is fine and my tone may not always work but the fact is that young girls who have it all together and aren’t carrying more than the normal teenage bagge rarely choose that hairstyle.  

It’s not right what they are doing to her, she comes off like she is carrying more stuff than the typical teen.   That’s the problem

Post a current photo of yourself so maybe we can determine what issues you might have.

(03-26-2018, 10:52 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: FYI I am not always some cold hearted a-hole.  Even when I don’t take a very delicate path.  I have seen too much teen depression up close to not see the warning signs.  

And I've seen too many normal girls with weird haircuts to believe they all have depression or "issues".
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-26-2018, 07:24 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My position, as well. None of us can really know for sure how she feels about all the attention, but if anyone doesn't want it then people should bugger off.

Just wanted to highlight this response to give you kudos for the phrase "bugger off".  Smirk  What with Monty Python coming to Netflix and all....

Rock On
(03-26-2018, 11:49 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh!  The old "judge a book by its cover" defense!  Got it.

Rolleyes

Post a current photo of yourself so maybe we can determine what issues you might have.

And I've seen too many normal girls with weird haircuts to believe they all have depression or "issues".

That haircut is used on the poster of depressed teenage girl. It’s not about her looks, it’s about the weight she is already carrying, then add the trauma on top. Watch the video. She isn’t comfortable.
(03-26-2018, 06:04 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Been reported by several outlets as 17.   It still doesn’t change the fact she was traumatized plus her obvious other issues.  

To me 17/18 makes no difference.   She is still immature and unable to work out traumatic events.  

If they want to live up their 15 minutes of fame then so be it,  but we should all be concerned at the long term ramifications of not dealing with this trauma.   It’s only a matter of time until the leftists find someone else to prop up.

I agree that 17/18 doesn't make much of a difference and maturity levels may still be in play.  However some things will make you grow up fast, such as joining the military (like I did when I was 18yo), or going to college, or watching 17 of your classmates and teachers die because of mass shooting event.

I wouldn't say that "she is still immature and unable to work out traumatic events."  Her response is pretty appropriate really.  I get that your response will be right leaning and opposed to her view point. But to mock her and try to disgrace her as many have in the media, and social media is disgraceful.  By questioning her sexuality and haircut choices is petty and makes her look more mature than those out there trying to shame her.
(03-27-2018, 01:44 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That haircut is used on the poster of depressed teenage girl.   It’s not about her looks, it’s about the weight she is already carrying, then add the trauma on top.  Watch the video.  She isn’t comfortable.

Keep trying to defend and justify stupid comments. I don't know who is worse, you or Dave Dennison.
(03-27-2018, 01:44 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That haircut is used on the poster of depressed teenage girl.   It’s not about her looks, it’s about the weight she is already carrying, then add the trauma on top.  Watch the video.  She isn’t comfortable.

I agree...it's NOT about her looks.  It is about what she says.  Perhaps we could/should discuss that rather than attempt to be online psychologists and use our personal feelings about appearance to try and discredit her stance.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/25/us/emma-gonzalez-what-you-need-to-know-trnd/index.html

Quote:She had to make a Powerpoint to convince her parents to let her shave her head: Shaving her head wasn't political; it was practical. "I decided to cut my hair because it was a pain in the neck, if you'll forgive the pun," she told her school's Humans of New York-style Instagram account. "It was really hot all the time; it was very cumbersome and very heavy, leading to a lot of headaches."

Her parents weren't initially on board. So she made a 10-slide presentation with arguments such as "Spend less on shampoo." It worked. She shaved her head two weeks before school began in September.

Because, as I said, not everyone with that haircut fits on that poster of a depressed teenage girl.  

There is much more about this STRONG, level headed woman at that link.  Read her own words before passing judgement based entirely on your thoughts about her "look".  ThumbsUp
Just gets more and more pathetic as time passes and it puts more of its thoughts to threads on this board.

How anyone who has read more than a small sample of its opinions can find value in or appreciate its contribution to humanity... Mind boggling.

“I’m not an intolerable A-Hole, I just play one on this board!”

Cool bro. Eat a salad
(03-27-2018, 02:33 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I agree that 17/18 doesn't make much of a difference and maturity levels may still be in play.  However some things will make you grow up fast, such as joining the military (like I did when I was 18yo), or going to college, or watching 17 of your classmates and teachers die because of mass shooting event.

I wouldn't say that "she is still immature and unable to work out traumatic events."  Her response is pretty appropriate really.  I get that your response will be right leaning and opposed to her view point. But to mock her and try to disgrace her as many have in the media, and social media is disgraceful.  By questioning her sexuality and haircut choices is petty and makes her look more mature than those out there trying to shame her.

When did I mock her? She can have any viewpoint she wishes and dress and rock that haircut as she is doing now. I am not picking on or mocking her by pointing out she shows signs of depression.

I have sympathy and compassion for her and her classmates which is why I believe they are being manipulated.
(03-27-2018, 07:03 AM)GMDino Wrote: I agree...it's NOT about her looks.  It is about what she says.  Perhaps we could/should discuss that rather than attempt to be online psychologists and use our personal feelings about appearance to try and discredit her stance.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/25/us/emma-gonzalez-what-you-need-to-know-trnd/index.html

Because, as I said, not everyone with that haircut fits on that poster of a depressed teenage girl.  

There is much more about this STRONG, level headed woman at that link.  Read her own words before passing judgement based entirely on your thoughts about her "look".  ThumbsUp

Do you expect her to tell cnn or a reporter why she cut her hair? It’s hot here but not that hot. And teenage girls with good self esteem do not purposely go with a buzz cut. No parent is going to care about their shampoo costs. She most likely cut her hair before her parents came home. Now they have this lame story so she can save some face.
(03-27-2018, 10:02 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: When did I mock her?  She can have any viewpoint she wishes and dress and rock that haircut as she is doing now.  

Mellow

(03-27-2018, 10:12 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Do you expect her to tell cnn or a reporter why she cut her hair?   It’s hot here but not that hot.   And teenage girls with good self esteem do not purposely go with a buzz cut.  No parent is going to care about their shampoo costs.   She most likely cut her hair before her parents came home.  Now they have this lame story so she can save some face.

Well, I can believe her or you.

Take a guess which one I think knows more about it.   Cool
(03-26-2018, 10:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Watch the video. She looks noticeably uncomfortable with the attention. She obviously isn’t the social butterfly of the school.

I've seen plenty of videos of her, and I can't say for certain. I'm not watching whatever video is at the link you posted because I refuse to help Ben Shapiro's ad revenue by contributing to the clicks on his website, so I will base my opinion on the many videos I have seen of her in the past month.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-27-2018, 10:32 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I've seen plenty of videos of her, and I can't say for certain. I'm not watching whatever video is at the link you posted because I refuse to help Ben Shapiro's ad revenue by contributing to the clicks on his website, so I will base my opinion on the many videos I have seen of her in the past month.

It’s the cnn video of their interview. It’s not Ben Shapiro.
(03-27-2018, 10:49 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It’s the cnn video of their interview. It’s not Ben Shapiro.

The only link I've seen in this thread is the Ben Shapiro link. It's hard to say if I have seen the CNN video or not, but again, I have a decent amount of time seeing her speak in other sources and I couldn't say for certain either way.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-27-2018, 10:51 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The only link I've seen in this thread is the Ben Shapiro link. It's hard to say if I have seen the CNN video or not, but again, I have a decent amount of time seeing her speak in other sources and I couldn't say for certain either way.

Lol.... your protest of daily wire is hilarious. Here is the link to the 60 minutes interview clip.

https://twitter.com/_/status/975570316347949057
(03-27-2018, 11:04 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lol.... your protest of daily wire is hilarious. Here is the link to the 60 minutes interview clip.

https://twitter.com/_/status/975570316347949057

Why is it hilarious? I treat several "news" sites in this manner. These sites generate ad revenue through people visiting their sites. If I think a website is utter garbage why would I help them generate ad revenue? If you think a company produces cheap trash do you spend any time or money with them? The answer should be no. And this isn't just about politics, because there are left-wing trash sites I won't visit, as well. I will visit left and right wing sites that provide valuable journalism and opinions, but sites like the Daily Wire is not among them. So, I won't allow them to make money off of me.

(03-26-2018, 10:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well this girl might qualify as a Gen Z. There's hope for those and I don't think the millennals will like them.

I assume you're a  millennial

I'm 36 so maybe I'm a millennial.  I've seen Peter, Paul & Mary in concert so I don't think I count as being all that youthful, regardless.  My ire for putting down millennials mostly comes from the lack of awareness and overall ignorance that comes with the process of putting down an entire generation of any type.
(03-27-2018, 11:31 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm 36 so maybe I'm a millennial.  I've seen Peter, Paul & Mary in concert so I don't think I count as being all that youthful, regardless.  My ire for putting down millennials mostly comes from the lack of awareness and overall ignorance that comes with the process of putting down an entire generation of any type.

Nothing new there. Each generation thinks it was better than the next one and the the one before it.

I just want my kids to fix our mistakes. My goal in all things is to leave it better than how I found it.

Or to steal a quote: "If you can do no good, at least do no harm."
(03-27-2018, 11:31 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm 36 so maybe I'm a millennial.  I've seen Peter, Paul & Mary in concert so I don't think I count as being all that youthful, regardless.  My ire for putting down millennials mostly comes from the lack of awareness and overall ignorance that comes with the process of putting down an entire generation of any type.

'Member when they said all us gen x'ers were lazy and depressed or something? Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."