Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Media's contempt of Bengals sparks the ire of present and former Bengals.
We have the golden ticket. we win 10 games next year and maybe a playoff victory. Their scared and scrambling. Steelers maybe 2nd most popular team next to Cowboys. Media knows if we get Burrow we are legitimate contenders next 10 plus years.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 01:39 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: Joe Mixon has also tweeted about how these headlines have been crazy here weeks ago "LMAO why is it so much controversy over a pick? Idk if y’all know but nobody word outside the team has anything to do with them getting drafted. That’s not how it works!" and "Y’all gotta stop believing everything y’all see!"
Come on Joe. You of all people know why some people have controversy over a pick.  
Reply/Quote
While I agree 100% with the media take that the Bengals are poorly run, I don't think the media has our (fans) best interest in mind by saying this. Where has the media been on this over the last 20+ years? They only pop up with this take when they see a stud QB prospect about to go to media no-man's land.

They see a wealth of future sports stories in Joe Burrow, and they don't want that to die in Cincinnati. That's all they care about. That and generating clicks at a dead time for sports. That's it. Any other time, they ignore the miserable situation in Cincinnati, which allows Mike Brown and family to continue on forever without heat from the national media, which would in turn put pressure on Goodell to put pressure on the Brown family.

The truth is that the media likes the Bengals right where they're at. For every league darling with a big fanbase, the league needs a bad franchise like the Bengals, Lions or Browns. So even though what they're saying is true, screw the media on this Joe Burrow stuff.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This is another reason I stopped listening and watching sports talking heads. They are so full of themselves it is not even funny. Just a bunch of drama queens that have to justify their existence by saying anything speculative
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I hate playing the victim card, but it's disappointing to see journalists display complete lack of empathy towards the fans' perspective. The idea of Joe Burrow coming to Cincinnati has this fanbase invigorated in a way that it hasn't been for a long time, and force-feeding these false narratives about Burrow not wanting to play here and Burrow demanding a trade is a major bummer. Basically trying to convince us that we shouldn't be excited and that we should just resign ourselves to perpetual misery.

Trash the Bengals ownership all you want, but these fans want a winner and they seem poised to get one. Allow them their excitement. Don't be that guy that shits in people's cereal.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 12:43 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I hate playing the victim card, but it's disappointing to see journalists display complete lack of empathy towards the fans' perspective.  The idea of Joe Burrow coming to Cincinnati has this fanbase invigorated in a way that it hasn't been for a long time, and force-feeding these false narratives about Burrow not wanting to play here and Burrow demanding a trade is a major bummer.  Basically trying to convince us that we shouldn't be excited and that we should just resign ourselves to perpetual misery.    

Trash the Bengals ownership all you want, but these fans want a winner and they seem poised to get one.  Allow them their excitement.  Don't be that guy that shits in people's cereal.

I don't take it personal, neither should any of us. We don't know what's going to happen. What's the point in (for lack of better terms) crying over people who don't want to see us succeed? It happens all throughout life. I'll be a Bengals fan regardless of what these asshats say about them. I've been through way worse with this team. Never let someone take your joy. Don't assign someone that much power over your life.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:27 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I don't take it personal, neither should any of us. We don't know what's going to happen. What's the point in (for lack of better terms) crying over people who don't want to see us succeed? It happens all throughout life. I'll be a Bengals fan regardless of what these asshats say about them. I've been through way worse with this team. Never let someone take your joy. Don't assign someone that much power over your life.

A fair point.  

Don't get me wrong.  I don't buy for one second that he'll demand a trade or anything like that, so for me it's more of an annoyance than anything else.  Every time I search Burrow's name on Google I'm forced to weed through these fabricated articles.    
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
one of you mcdonalds nerds have some intel about their ice machines that i can actually use?
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 12:16 AM)Nately120 Wrote: True not every team can be a winner by the nature of the league.  Still, a team that hasn't risen above 12th place in nearly 30 years could likely use a new business plan.  You can't always win but decades of irrelevance are a whole new ball of wax. 

If we win 5 SBs the Steelers can still market the fact that they have 6.

They've definitely been higher than 12th.  They've picked lower than 21st in most of their playoff years.

I think Truck has hit the nail on the head. They aren't necessarily poorly run, but they are antiquated and slow to change.  While they haven't won a playoff game in forever, they have made the playoffs 6 times in the last decade.  

The way I look at it, while it's been a slooow crawl, they have progressed as a franchise.  The Palmer era was a dramatic improvement from the '90's and the Dalton era was a dramatic improvement from the Palmer era.  Hopefully, Burrow is as advertised and can help get the team over the hump.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 12:16 AM)Nately120 Wrote: If we win 5 SBs the Steelers can still market the fact that they have 6.

Forget the Steelers.

Bengal fans who base their identity on victimhood will still be whining about how 5 SBs in 60+ years is "irrelevant".
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 12:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: While I agree 100% with the media take that the Bengals are poorly run, I don't think the media has our (fans) best interest in mind by saying this. Where has the media been on this over the last 20+ years? They only pop up with this take when they see a stud QB prospect about to go to media no-man's land.

They see a wealth of future sports stories in Joe Burrow, and they don't want that to die in Cincinnati. That's all they care about. That and generating clicks at a dead time for sports. That's it. Any other time, they ignore the miserable situation in Cincinnati, which allows Mike Brown and family to continue on forever without heat from the national media, which would in turn put pressure on Goodell to put pressure on the Brown family.

The truth is that the media likes the Bengals right where they're at. For every league darling with a big fanbase, the league needs a bad franchise like the Bengals, Lions or Browns. So even though what they're saying is true, screw the media on this Joe Burrow stuff.

I stopped reading after the first paragraph to give you rep lol  

The rest of the post is great, too, though  ThumbsUp

However, I don't necessarily agree with the second paragraph because of how much success Palmer had here and we've evolved (even if only a tiny bit) since then.  

I agree with it just being click bait.  They might think that the fans believe that, so they post it just so people click it and jump on the "they're going to ruin him" bandwagon.  

I do agree with the last paragraph about the media being happy with where we're at because we're a small market franchise, which will make it even sweeter when we finally break through and get a playoff win or two.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 12:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: While I agree 100% with the media take that the Bengals are poorly run, I don't think the media has our (fans) best interest in mind by saying this. Where has the media been on this over the last 20+ years? They only pop up with this take when they see a stud QB prospect about to go to media no-man's land.

I don't disagree with what you have written here. Ts, I remember a time when the Saints, and Bucs where treated very much the same way.
Both of those franchises were able to overcome and win a SB in my lifetime. Here's to hoping our ownership will do the same, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Reply/Quote
First and foremost McDonald's fries suck. The first time I ate a Rally's fry I thought, "Hmmm..pretty good I guess." The second time I thought, "Geeeez, these suck!" I never went back. I have determined from years and years of not paying a bit of attention that I don't really eat at McDonald's nor Rallys and do eat at Highway 55 and they have great fries except when they wrap them in foil and they get soggy.
The moral to the story is I'm right, everyone else is wrong and my opinion is the only one that matters as to what I bother to eat when I bother to eat unless I'm locked up in jail and then everything sucks all the time...period.
Now what that has to do with Joe Burrow and the Bengals you may ask..? Well, isn't it obvious? I don't have the first clue. Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Willie Anderson shared more of his thoughts in an article on Bengals.com today:

"Did Mike Brown do everything right? No. But the guys who played in my era, we can't say Mike was cheap with players," Anderson said. "Everybody got paid. He gave Carson $100 million, he took care of Rudi (Johnson), and he paid Chad (Johnson) when he outperformed his deal."

"There were games we had in the mix and we lost and Mike Brown didn't have anything to do with it. If I missed a block or Carson missed a pass or somebody missed a tackle. I don't know how you blame that on executives."

"It was only a few years ago you were saying they were one of the most talented teams in the league," Anderson said.

"I feel compelled to fight for the current players because we're all in one big boat," Anderson said. "People still look at me as a Bengal. When they lose, they ask me, 'What happened to y'all?'"

"You've got some great receivers, one of the best running backs in the league and an offensive head coach," Anderson said. "They know they've got to get better up front, but I think the line played better than people think in the last five games."
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 10:09 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Willie Anderson shared more of his thoughts in an article on Bengals.com today:

"Did Mike Brown do everything right? No. But the guys who played in my era, we can't say Mike was cheap with players," Anderson said. "Everybody got paid. He gave Carson $100 million, he took care of Rudi (Johnson), and he paid Chad (Johnson) when he outperformed his deal."

"There were games we had in the mix and we lost and Mike Brown didn't have anything to do with it. If I missed a block or Carson missed a pass or somebody missed a tackle. I don't know how you blame that on executives."

"It was only a few years ago you were saying they were one of the most talented teams in the league," Anderson said.

"I feel compelled to fight for the current players because we're all in one big boat," Anderson said. "People still look at me as a Bengal. When they lose, they ask me, 'What happened to y'all?'"

"You've got some great receivers, one of the best running backs in the league and an offensive head coach," Anderson said. "They know they've got to get better up front, but I think the line played better than people think in the last five games."

Great stuff. I love Big Willie.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 02:21 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: one of you mcdonalds nerds have some intel about their ice machines that i can actually use?

Take your ass to Rally's and get them good fries... They'll serve you're drink with ice right out that drive thru window too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Penn Station fries>>>>>>

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:43 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: We have the golden ticket. we win 10 games next year and maybe a playoff victory. Their scared and scrambling. Steelers maybe 2nd most popular team next to Cowboys. Media knows if we get Burrow we are legitimate contenders next 10 plus years.

That's odd, the Chiefs have one of the smallest fanbases in the NFL and the media isn't afraid to talk about them. Extra odd is that if the Chiefs are good it's going to make the Patriots and Steelers winning more SBs extra difficult. Maybe they'll start trying to convince Mahommes that he's in a bad situation.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 10:09 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Willie Anderson shared more of his thoughts in an article on Bengals.com today:

None of that is true according to the great football minds around here.... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 02:49 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Hey I was going to start another thread but this will do here.  

If fans are wondering why there is disproportionate push-back against Bengals picking Burrow there are several factors.  

One, Pick-six Palmer is a failed girly player and blames bengals.
Two, Drama for talk shows to get viewers.
Three, click bait links.

Four and probable the most impactful yet unsubstantiated... It is people and influencers involved with the Miami Dolphins that are trying to get the Bengals to trade the pick.   It is because Tua's injury history is causing some concern in the organization and Herbert is viewed by most as 2nd tier.  

If the Tua concerns are valid, then the phins really have to take a chance on a healthy Herbert who has accuracy issues or a player made of glass.  Keep in mind, another swing and miss QB the phins have "ruined" is Josh Rosen.  Phins cannot swing and miss on Tua.

Five, the media darlings of the NFL, the pittsburg steelers, and their legion of losers are staring down the barrel of an AFC North with Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, and Joe Burrow....not exactly the run they have had the past 10 years.  It isn't just taking shots at the Bengals coming off a 2-14 season, but legitimate concerns that the division will not be a cakewalk.  Oh, and Piggy is probably even fatter (if that is possible).
Reply/Quote