Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Medical Warning from bfine
Happy your ok buddy. Ill continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers that nothing like this ever happens again.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2017, 12:46 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, you dodged a bullet my friend.  I'm glad the Good Lord was watching over you, and made your wife more stubborn than you.  Having two stents myself with a 99% blockage in the circumflex, and 30 in the RCA, I know where you're coming from.  It hit me at work, and because my grandmother had been through it, I knew immediately what was going on.  I couldn't believe it at 32, but I knew.  I chewed the aspirin, took a co-worker's BP pill and dialed 911.  Nine years later, after some drastic lifestyle changes due to this and finding out I was diabetic as a result, I'm doing ok.  I had ignored the signs of diabetes, because...like you...you don't go to the doc if a bone is not sticking out, and it almost cost me dearly.  At least two years of extremely high blood sugar had wreaked havoc on my bloodstream, my liver was dumping fats, sugars, and cholesterol into my arteries and clogged two of them off.  You combine that with what was a stressful job at the time, and chain smoking Marlboros....it's a wonder it wasn't worse than it was.  They said my blood was like gravy, and couldn't believe I was conscious with a blood sugar reading of over 800.  

Heed the doc's advice, and you should be good to go.  Godspeed.

Holy man Wyche. I'm happy your ok as well buddy. What are the signs of Diabetes?
Reply/Quote
My problem is I eat like garbage but don't smoke or drink. I hope I don't have Diabetes or anything like that yet. After reading these stories I pray that God blesses me for a long time.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 12:08 AM)packerbacker Wrote: My problem is I eat like garbage but don't smoke or drink. I hope I don't have Diabetes or anything like that yet. After reading these stories I pray that God blesses me for a long time.

Pray for what you want, but work for what you need.
Be proactive in changing your eating habits before it leads to trouble.
Steps off soapbox Mellow .
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Damn bro ! Glad you're alright
Reply/Quote
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes, but my main point of the thread was to serve as a warning. I further appreciate others sharing their advice and warnings. I will say they put me on 2 separate Cholesterol meds (80 mgs of Lipitor and Zetia), but they sent my liver enzymes through the roof. Now I just take Zetia and watch what I eat.

To those asking about diabetes: I do not suffer from it; however, my wife is hyperglycemic. Her biggest sign was that when she ate carbs she became very sleepy. Her ex-husband (yes we are all get along) had diabetes, Ignored it, and now has one leg that ends just below the knee. So check your blood sugar early and often. My wife checks hers at least once a day and uses me as a test subject.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Many thanks to bfine for posting this thread, and choosing to share his personal experiences with us. I too, am in that 'middle aged" time of my life, and experience many of the same health complications that several others have shared. Thankfully, I haven't had a heart attack yet (that I'm aware of), but I went through some episodes earlier this year, where I nearly gave out from working in the heat.

I have many of the same issues that several of you speak of, high BP (on meds for), high cholesterol, high blood sugar. Eat poorly, drink too much. My mind still tries to rationalize that I'm superhuman, and can outwork a bad lifestyle. I still consider myself a bit of an "athlete" (strongman is a sport), I work a physical job outdoors (Surveyors hike more than a nature guide). But, as my doctor says "the science and the numbers don't lie". Father time catches up to all of us, and we must make changes to push that time back.

Thanks again to bfine, as many of us are sometimes reluctant to speak about our personal issues because machismo and all.. bfine, I'm glad that you were able to overcome your stubborn pride and get the medical attention you need. It wouldn't be the same around here without you, or any of you fellows that also chose to share your experiences.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 06:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Many thanks to bfine for posting this thread, and choosing to share his personal experiences with us.  I too, am in that 'middle aged" time of my life, and experience many of the same health complications that several others have shared.  Thankfully, I haven't had a heart attack yet (that I'm aware of), but I went through some episodes earlier this year, where I nearly gave out from working in the heat.  

I have many of the same issues that several of you speak of, high BP (on meds for), high cholesterol, high blood sugar.  Eat poorly, drink too much.  My mind still tries to rationalize that I'm superhuman, and can outwork a bad lifestyle.  I still consider myself a bit of an "athlete" (strongman is a sport), I work a physical job outdoors (Surveyors hike more than a nature guide).  But, as my doctor says "the science and the numbers don't lie".  Father time catches up to all of us, and we must make changes to push that time back.

Thanks again to bfine, as many of us are sometimes reluctant to speak about our personal issues because machismo and all..  bfine, I'm glad that you were able to overcome your stubborn pride and get the medical attention you need.  It wouldn't be the same around here without you, or any of you fellows that also chose to share your experiences.

You are so correct, ( paragraph 2 of yours ), Father Time is undefeated.
Reply/Quote
Very scary story! We must all exercise and watch what we eat. I have trouble doing both at the same time. Gotta cut the meat.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 12:05 AM)packerbacker Wrote: Holy man Wyche. I'm happy your ok as well buddy. What are the signs of Diabetes?

Thanks packer....I was losing weight quickly, always thirsty, leg cramps at night, frequent urination, tired a lot.....I mean, I could sleep for 14-18 hours on weekends sometimes.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 06:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Many thanks to bfine for posting this thread, and choosing to share his personal experiences with us.  I too, am in that 'middle aged" time of my life, and experience many of the same health complications that several others have shared.  Thankfully, I haven't had a heart attack yet (that I'm aware of), but I went through some episodes earlier this year, where I nearly gave out from working in the heat.  

I have many of the same issues that several of you speak of, high BP (on meds for), high cholesterol, high blood sugar.  Eat poorly, drink too much.  My mind still tries to rationalize that I'm superhuman, and can outwork a bad lifestyle.  I still consider myself a bit of an "athlete" (strongman is a sport), I work a physical job outdoors (Surveyors hike more than a nature guide).  But, as my doctor says "the science and the numbers don't lie".  Father time catches up to all of us, and we must make changes to push that time back.

Thanks again to bfine, as many of us are sometimes reluctant to speak about our personal issues because machismo and all..  bfine, I'm glad that you were able to overcome your stubborn pride and get the medical attention you need.  It wouldn't be the same around here without you, or any of you fellows that also chose to share your experiences.

No doubt.  I wasn't surveying at the time I got sick, but I had moved out of the office to be a foreman for an underground utilities crew, and was doing a lot of shooting and staking.  I was also walking the jobs ahead of the crew to get an idea of what we were looking at moving forward, or scouting jobs before we bid them.  Around the same time, the weight loss started, the thirst, the tiredness, etc.  I thought it was all part of the long hours, and being back outside.

Speaking for me, the diet has more effect on my numbers than exercise does. Exercise helps, but it doesn't help me out NEARLY as much as eating right. You can really tell in my bloodwork if I have strayed off the path too often.

Reply/Quote
Isn't diabetes when your kidneys go to hell. I hear it's a terrible disease if not treated. Continued prayers you do well Wyche.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 12:45 PM)packerbacker Wrote: Isn't diabetes when your kidneys go to hell. I hear it's a terrible disease if not treated. Continued prayers you do well Wyche.

Thanks for the prayers.....they can if you let your numbers get way out there.  The key to diabetes is management of it.  BB King had it for like 40 years, Wilford Brimley has had it for close to 30.  

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 03:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: Thanks for the prayers.....they can if you let your numbers get way out there.  The key to diabetes is management of it.  BB King had it for like 40 years, Wilford Brimley has had it for close to 30.  

My Great Aunt has had it for maybe 15 years or so or 15 to 20, somewhere in there. She didn't know she had it until she drank a while 2 liter of water in a 40 mile ride to town with my Grandma. My Grandma told her there's something wrong lets take you to the doctor and sure enough he said you have Diabetes. She is 87 now and doing very well. She lived on sweets for years until she found out she had it.
Reply/Quote