Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meet and Greet and stuff
I remember a few years ago (probably been more like 10 - LOL) that some Bengal players had a hamburger eating contest at a restaurant and mingled with the fans. Does any of that kind of interaction go on anymore? 

You ask: Why do you ask Dog?

Well, my wife has always been a Indianapolis Colts fan (Damn Peyton Manning) but has since lost interest in football. When Peyton retired, she really lost her interest. I tried to get her to come to the dark side (Cincinnati). She tried and even watched a few games with me. But she wasn't in it. Now the National Anthem thing killed it for her (I don't wan't to talk about the anthem). I want her to be a Bengal fan and I think, if she was able to meet (I didn't say meat Fred) she would have a sense of knowing them and stuff and possibly take an interest and make my NFL football season more enjoyable.

You ask: so this is all about you?

WTF is this a 60 minute interview? I asked a question? Damn! 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't know if there is or not but the idea of the Bengals doing a meet and greet with fans at a restaurant is a good idea. I know they do something on training camp Eve but not sure what it is.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2018, 06:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I remember a few years ago (probably been more like 10 - LOL) that some Bengal players had a hamburger eating contest at a restaurant and mingled with the fans. Does any of that kind of interaction go on anymore? 

Well, my wife has always been a Indianapolis Colts fan (Damn Peyton Manning) but has since lost interest in football. When Peyton retired, she really lost her interest. I tried to get her to come to the dark side (Cincinnati). She tried and even watched a few games with me. But she wasn't in it. Now the National Anthem thing killed it for her (I don't wan't to talk about the anthem). I want her to be a Bengal fan and I think, if she was able to meet (I didn't say meat Fred) she would have a sense of knowing them and stuff and possibly take an interest and make my NFL football season more enjoyable.

I don't want to get into the whole anthem debate either.....I am on the side of Colin..... however, does your wife know that the Bengals have been on her side regarding that policy? Maybe she can dig that and be a fan and shout who Dey like the rest of us! Let's get her on board, brotha! 
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote
Check with Andy and Jordan's Foundation.  They likely hold some local events to draw attention to their charitable works.

Go to the Community tab on the mothership.  It has everything the players/team do in terms of interacting/giving back to the community in general.  There is also a link to request player appearances at an event that you might be hosting.  Pretty interesting, actually.

https://www.bengals.com/community/

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2018, 07:00 PM)jmccracky Wrote: I don't want to get into the whole anthem debate either.....I am on the side of Colin..... however, does your wife know that the Bengals have been on her side regarding that policy? Maybe she can dig that and be a fan and shout who Dey like the rest of us! Let's get her on board, brotha! 

I miss you my dear brother Cracky. Wub

You are correct, there has not been a Bengal kneel that I know of. But you already know me. I have used that angle. I think face to face would make her change her mind tho. She has tried, she just ain't into the Bengals. No shit, she has said a few times she want's to watch the game with me, Yet, she stops usually after the 1st qtr. If she just met a few players and had something to root for? Damnit! I keep leaving shit open for Fred!

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2018, 07:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Check with Andy and Jordan's Foundation.  They likely hold some local events to draw attention to their charitable works.

Go to the Community tab on the mothership.  It has everything the players/team do in terms of interacting/giving back to the community in general.  There is also a link to request player appearances at an event that you might be hosting.  Pretty interesting, actually.

https://www.bengals.com/community/

Great idea. 

Reply/Quote
The Bengals just had that "Taste of the NFL" event, that's kind of a combination food fair, auction, and player interaction for charity (in this case a local food bank*I think*). They have it every year, and I think most of the players show up for it.

During the season, there's a show hosted by the Enquirer sports staff at a local bar/restaurant. The one I'm thinking of has Jim O, Paul D, Jr., Paul Daugherty, and Lindsay Patterson with a different Bengals guest each week, though they're in the same restaurant all season. Those are streamed live; they're well done and lots of fun. I think some of the other Cincy sports media folks have similar shows.

Yeah, I think you can get a heads-up on the mothership website and social media accounts.
Reply/Quote
Grandmahol has about as much interest in football as I do in her online past times which is probably as close to zero as .000000000000000000001 as you can get. 
That's not to say we have nothing in common online . We both agree about certain issues, but she's big in following certain Facebook feeds while I barely ever peek at anyones fb feed.. if it weren't for her following my daughters fb feed I'd still think my 2 year old granddaughter was an infant . LOL Thinking of which.. there's another on the way soon..  At least I know my daughter and her husband have a healthy sex life if nothing else..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2018, 06:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I remember a few years ago (probably been more like 10 - LOL) that some Bengal players had a hamburger eating contest at a restaurant and mingled with the fans. Does any of that kind of interaction go on anymore? 

I don't know of any single upcoming event, but I have some suggestions (and applaud your efforts).  I would do a training camp visit with dinner afterward somewhere like the Yard House or Morlein Lager House.  Sit outside.  Talk about what you saw at camp.  She might find a new love (pun) to replace Manning when she watches them live at practice.  I remember watching the Bengals at training camp ages ago at Wilmington college.  I would buzz out there in whatever car I was prepping for Autocross and catch camp whenever I could.  

Stanford Jennings was an absolute riot at camp.  He always had guys laughing and he was always joking back and forth with Coach Wyche.  That is why his TD return in the Super Bowl was one of my best memories because I always liked him.

Another idea, albeit a bit more money, is to pony up for an event like one of Jordan and Andy's fundraisers and watch them in action.  The Daltons are a first-class couple and Andy can even be pretty funny when he isn't being "Blandy" that he portrays for the media.  
Reply/Quote
Maybe get her to the ladies football 101, where Marvin and the organization explain football and treat them like royalty at PBS for an afternoon. Football 101 might not be the correct name - but I do know they typically had something like that every year for the ladies.
Reply/Quote
The Taste of the NFL event just gone might be worth checking out next year - sounds good:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/6/17/17472150/taste-of-the-nfl-cincy-style-experience
Reply/Quote
It was around the 2010 season and it had:

- Mathis (who won, IIRC)
- Clinton McDonald
- MJ
- Skuta
- Odom
- Rey (not Vinnie)

And maybe Quan Cosby, but I can't remember: believe this is the link (its blocked here at work).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcGH2wgXPF4
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I hear em talking on 700 WLW all the time thru the season Monday night, Tuesday night ? I forget and having players at the Holy Grail Tavern. Never been there don't know a thing about it but they usually have tow or three players there. Not sure how much interaction there is ?
Reply/Quote

Not sure if that happens anymore, but something that might help sway her (and also be awesome for everyone on these boards) could be to coordinate a meet up amongst the board members and their significant others/families? Sometimes people choose their fandom based on friendships, and at least some of us have been talking Bengals football with each other for probably going on a decade now.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Get her interested in a human interest story.

Tell her you would like to donate a small amount of money to Andy Dalton or Gio Bernard's charity. Tell her the whole story of what they are doing to help humanity. Get her emotionally invested.

I have known people (usually women) who were not big sports fans but would at least show interest in a certain player and how he was doing.
Reply/Quote

I believe when willie Anderson opened his Fatburger here in cincy he had the eating contest. don't remember the year
Reply/Quote

It may be worth you allowing her to "meat" one of the Bengals just to get her back in the NFL saddle again. 

Just sayin'

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Maybe make a special day for her out of a training camp visit where you incorporate some of her favorite things into the day as well.

Then just hope the seed grows with a little extra watering now and then that is unbeknownst to her of course.

If not, use "operation meat" as plan B just in case.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2018, 12:47 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Maybe make a special day for her out of a training camp visit where you incorporate some of her favorite things into the day as well.

Then just hope the seed grows with a little extra watering now and then that is unbeknown to her of course.

If not, use "operation meat" as plan B just in case.

LOL - She has to actually be a fan before she can "take one for the team!"

Reply/Quote
Although it wouldn't do much for your long term relationship and she probably would have you arrested and leave you you could knock her around a bit and demand she become a die hard Bengals fan OR ELSE!  
On second thought that's a bad idea as forced random seldom works in anyones favor.. Don't do it. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote