Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meet our new Secretary of State
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/world/americas/tillersons-company-exxon-mobil-follows-its-own-foreign-policy.html?_r=0

BEIRUT, Lebanon — Struggling to keep Iraq from splintering, American diplomats pushed for a law in 2011 to share the country’s oil wealth among its fractious regions.

Then Exxon Mobil showed up.

Under its chief executive, Rex W. Tillerson, the giant oil company sidestepped Baghdad and Washington, signing a deal directly with the Kurdish administration in the country’s north.[/b] The move undermined Iraq’s central government, strengthened Kurdish independence ambitions and contravened the stated goals of the United States.

Mr. Tillerson’s willingness to cut a deal regardless of the political consequences speaks volumes about Exxon Mobil’s influence. In the Iraq case, Mr. Tillerson and his company outmaneuvered the State Department, which he has now been nominated by President-elect Donald J. Trump to lead.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

On the good side, after two decades of funding climate change disinformation, ExxonMobile under Tillerson finally came to acknowledge that global warming is anthropogenic, a consequence of burning fossil fuels. And there is no question the man knows something of geopolitics as well as foreign policy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Well at least some are working to heal the country; however, there will still be a jilted few that will look for the negative in everything.

Folks poke fun of Trump for not picking outsiders until he does so, then they poke fun at that.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(12-17-2016, 10:00 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Well at least some are working to heal the country; however, there will still be a jilted few that will look for the negative in everything.

Folks poke fun of Trump for not picking outsiders until he does so, then they poke fun at that.

And they don't even have any concerns about competency or ethics. I swear, those stupid libtards! 
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(12-17-2016, 10:00 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Well at least some are working to heal the country; however, there will still be a jilted few that will look for the negative in everything.

Only because he tends to pick people who are not qualified for the position they are being chosen for.

A Dept. of Ed. leader who has no experience other than running campaigns for one thing...school choice.

A Sec. of St. who has the experience of undermining the government to make deals for his company.

I'm sure there were better possible choices but PE Trump gets to make the ones he wants.  Apparently he wants very rich people who will do what he wants no matter what else their experience or what else the job calls for.

Kind of like how a bunch of us wanted someone to run for president who wasn't afraid to speak his mind and not use "political talk".  Instead we got one who simply lied, and then lied about lying saying he never said the things he said.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-17-2016, 12:15 PM)GMDino Wrote: Only because he tends to pick people who are not qualified for the position they are being chosen for.

A Dept. of Ed. leader who has no experience other than running campaigns for one thing...school choice.

A Sec. of St. who has the experience of undermining the government to make deals for his company.

I'm sure there were better possible choices but PE Trump gets to make the ones he wants.  Apparently he wants very rich people who will do what he wants no matter what else their experience or what else the job calls for.

Kind of like how a bunch of us wanted someone to run for president who wasn't afraid to speak his mind and not use "political talk".  Instead we got one who simply lied, and then lied about lying saying he never said the things he said.

[Image: hammer_nail.jpg~c200]
(12-17-2016, 12:15 PM)GMDino Wrote: Only because he tends to pick people who are not qualified for the position they are being chosen for.

Who determines this lack of qualification?

(12-17-2016, 01:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who determines this lack of qualification?

Previous picks, job requirements, experience in the field they will be overseeing, etc.

And hopefully confirmation hearings where required.
(12-17-2016, 01:10 PM)GMDino Wrote: Previous picks, job requirements, experience in the field they will be overseeing, etc.

And hopefully confirmation hearings where required.

Previous picks you say? Does that mean this guy should use his personal email for official business?

The current pick has plenty experience with international affairs.

I think I have a better idea of who thinks they can determine qualifications and they most likely don't have a clue about the workings of international affairs.

Yep, conformation hearing are a good thing as long as they don't occur on Social Media by a bunch of folks that have no clue. 

(12-17-2016, 01:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Previous picks you say? Does that mean this guy should use his personal email for official business?

I think I have a better idea of who thinks they can determine qualifications and they most likely don't have a clue about the workings of international affairs.

Yep, conformation hearing are a good thing as long as they don't occur on Social Media by a bunch of folks that have no clue. 

Sounds like you should be in office somewhere since you know so much more than "they" do rather than be on a social media board.   Mellow
(12-17-2016, 01:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The current pick has plenty experience with international affairs.

I've had plenty of experience international affairs too.

I just hope none of them show up on my door calling 'Daddy'!  Ninja
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(12-17-2016, 01:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Previous picks you say? Does that mean this guy should use his personal email for official business?

(12-17-2016, 01:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who determines this lack of qualification?

I guess other people determine "this lack of qualification" the same way you determine others aren't qualified to determine the lack of qualifications of others. 
(12-17-2016, 03:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: Sounds like you should be in office somewhere since you know so much more than "they" do rather than be on a social media board.   Mellow

Where have I said I know more than anyone? I am not the one that deem folks unqualified to serve in Cabinet positions; however, there is definitely no shortage of these experts. 

(12-17-2016, 04:15 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I guess other people determine "this lack of qualification" the same way you determine others aren't qualified to determine the lack of qualifications of others. 

There's a good chance this made sense in your head. 

Is this that same Rex Tillerson from that same Exxon Mobil that has a potentially $500 billion dollar deal with Russia that was put on ice with those sanctions put on Russia after they invaded Crimea?
(12-17-2016, 05:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There's a good chance this made sense in your head. 

If others don't have a clue then they aren't qualified to judge another's qualifications . . . according to your judgement of their qualifications to judge another's qualifications. 

I thought my statement was self-explanatory. I guess you aren't qualified to judge, e.g. "don't have a clue."
(12-17-2016, 07:14 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If others don't have a clue then they aren't qualified to judge another's qualifications . . . according to your judgement of their qualifications to judge another's qualifications. 

I thought my statement was self-explanatory. I guess you aren't qualified to judge, e.g. "don't have a clue."

Cool....Thanks. 

(12-17-2016, 05:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There's a good chance this made sense in your head. 

You just called yourself dumb. I don't think it is fair you get to insult your intelligence, but the rules around this joint preclude me from insulting your intelligence. 

I'm gonna need a ruling from one of the mods. 
Hey guys, the discussion about qualifications raises some interesting questions about how "quality" is decided regarding picks.

There ought to be some non partisan standards that people can agree on.

"Experience" is one, and it is more important for some offices that others.

Quality and type of experience should also be important. 
What sort of non-Government experience is translatable to government, or not?
What kind of interests does one bring to the job is another consideration.

Tillerson raises some of these questions. I would love to hear others views on the guy, if they can be supported/argued.
[Image: stevepawprint.gif]
(12-17-2016, 08:19 PM)Dill Wrote: Hey guys, the discussion about qualifications raises some interesting questions about how "quality" is decided regarding picks.

There ought to be some non partisan standards that people can agree on.

"Experience" is one, and it is more important for some offices that others.

Quality and type of experience should also be important. 
What sort of non-Government experience is translatable to government, or not?
What kind of interests does one bring to the job is another consideration.

Tillerson raises some of these questions. I would love to hear others views on the guy, if they can be supported/argued.

My first question regarding Tillerson is what experience does he have in diplomacy?