Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meijers stores
Walmart is more every day price. Not sure how Meijer works..if they actually run 'sale' events. But the word sale still means something to many. Each are different theories of promotion. You go to Walmart expecting reasonable discounts on everything. But when you go to 'sales', individual items are more emphasized. Again, I don't know how Meijer works, but if they are kicking your butt I'd guess they are doing it with a good section of items that are succeeding promotionally in sales vs an every day low price tact.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 11:22 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Yeah I get all that, But I've shopped at both stores and both are fine to me.  For me it all depends on what I need/want and where I'm at.  When I was married and lived in Lynn IN, Lynn is a very small rural town with no grocery.  The closest grocery was Walmart in Winchester to our north, so we shopped there if we were off work. We both worked in Richmond to the south of Lynn and there was a Meijer on the way home and we'd hit that a lot because it was on the way home.  After I got divorced I moved to Richmond within walking distance to Meijer, so I pretty much only shopped there.  Then I moved back to the Nati and there's a Kroger right here so I usually go there for grocery runs but I still go to both Meijer and Walmart depending on what I'm looking for.  I will say this though I've shopped at many a Walmart (as well as Meijer and Kroger), and bought dry goods as well as fresh meat and produce and don't recall ever having gotten sick from it.  Oh well to each their own.

However I can understand Wildcats refusal to not shop there, given his experience described above.

It sure happened....in fact, when we arrived to drop off some of my brother's stuff at his house, my dad was there and he said we must have drank the town dry, because he had never seen us look so bad.  It wasn't a hangover....lol.

If you ever watch "Walmart: The High Cost of Low Price", you'll probably quit going as well.  I dated a member of the management team, she quit in disgust of their policies, and treatment of women in the management program.  People get fired for even mentioning a union.  I don't do business with people like that, and no, I'm not union, but I believe strongly in worker rights.  I don't buy Papa John's anymore either.  He whined and cried about the whole healthcare deal....had to cut hours....gonna break him....blah, blah, blah.  Yet, somehow, he can afford to give away millions of pizzas during a Super Bowl promotion, sponsor not only the NHRA, but also sponsor an NHRA Funny Car.  No telling what he paid Manning for all of those ads.....I don't do business with liars either.  I'm expected to be honest and up front in my line of work, pay taxes, and carry my own weight. I expect the same in return.  Call me old fashioned I guess......I will drive way out of my way, and I will pay more.

If you live in the Nati these days, and you aren't hitting up Jungle Jim's, brother, you are missing out!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2017, 03:23 PM)Wyche Wrote: It sure happened....in fact, when we arrived to drop off some of my brother's stuff at his house, my dad was there and he said we must have drank the town dry, because he had never seen us look so bad.  It wasn't a hangover....lol.

If you ever watch "Walmart: The High Cost of Low Price", you'll probably quit going as well.  I dated a member of the management team, she quit in disgust of their policies, and treatment of women in the management program.  People get fired for even mentioning a union.  I don't do business with people like that, and no, I'm not union, but I believe strongly in worker rights.  I don't buy Papa John's anymore either.  He whined and cried about the whole healthcare deal....had to cut hours....gonna break him....blah, blah, blah.  Yet, somehow, he can afford to give away millions of pizzas during a Super Bowl promotion, sponsor not only the NHRA, but also sponsor an NHRA Funny Car.  No telling what he paid Manning for all of those ads.....I don't do business with liars either.  I'm expected to be honest and up front in my line of work, pay taxes, and carry my own weight. I expect the same in return.  Call me old fashioned I guess......I will drive way out of my way, and I will pay more.  

If you live in the Nati these days, and you aren't hitting up Jungle Jim's, brother, you are missing out!

Oh... I'm not disputing your story, I'm just stating that our experiences are vastly different. I haven't seen the documentary that you're referring to, but I am interested in seeing it.  The few people I know that work for Walmart seem satisfied there. Don't know anything about Papa Johns though.  I will say this, I know that Walmart in the past has received negative press in the past for how they treat their workers, but it is my understanding that in recent years they've tried to change that.  I've even heard negative things about Krogers from some of it's employees, but I still shop there.  I gotta eat and need other basics and they (Kroger, Walmart, Target, Meijer, and others) provide, depending on where I'm at and what I need. Like you I'm all for better treatment for employees, but I'm not a union guy either.  I've got mixed opinions on the topic and I guess not strong enough opinion any of the places to warrant a boycott.  Like I said to each their own.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2017, 03:23 PM)Wyche Wrote: It sure happened....in fact, when we arrived to drop off some of my brother's stuff at his house, my dad was there and he said we must have drank the town dry, because he had never seen us look so bad.  It wasn't a hangover....lol.

Boy, Wyche you're making me think twice about going to Walmart.  I've heard others complain about how they treat their employees and even read stuff about how Walmart contracts with vendors in a way that they reduce their standards when they supply Walmart with products compared to other stores.  I've been going more to Aldi stores cause frankly nobody can beat their prices on groceries.  I hope you don't have anything bad to say about the quality of their products.  

Even though I don't order pizza that much anymore for various reasons (mostly cause there's always a pizza overrun every other week at work due to meetings), I would say that of all the pizza chains I like Papa John's the best.  Until I read what you wrote.  Even though I haven't ordered their pizza in two years (and probably just 5 or so times over the last five years or more), I might just have to remove them from consideration.   
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2017, 02:17 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Oh... I'm not disputing your story, I'm just stating that our experiences are vastly different. I haven't seen the documentary that you're referring to, but I am interested in seeing it.  The few people I know that work for Walmart seem satisfied there. Don't know anything about Papa Johns though.  I will say this, I know that Walmart in the past has received negative press in the past for how they treat their workers, but it is my understanding that in recent years they've tried to change that.  I've even heard negative things about Krogers from some of it's employees, but I still shop there.  I gotta eat and need other basics and they (Kroger, Walmart, Target, Meijer, and others) provide, depending on where I'm at and what I need. Like you I'm all for better treatment for employees, but I'm not a union guy either.  I've got mixed opinions on the topic and I guess not strong enough opinion any of the places to warrant a boycott.  Like I said to each their own.

Its my opinion that if your employeer is treating you that bad its on YOU to go find another job...

And while Walmart sells a lot of made in china stuff so does everywhere else and normally at higher prices.    
I could quit going to Walmart but it wouldn't matter to them.  it would only hurt my wallet.  

But if you really look deep at the world the reason most of it is the way it is is the demand of the consumer.  Wanting easier access faster service and cheaper prices    
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2017, 02:17 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Oh... I'm not disputing your story, I'm just stating that our experiences are vastly different. I haven't seen the documentary that you're referring to, but I am interested in seeing it.  The few people I know that work for Walmart seem satisfied there. Don't know anything about Papa Johns though.  I will say this, I know that Walmart in the past has received negative press in the past for how they treat their workers, but it is my understanding that in recent years they've tried to change that.  I've even heard negative things about Krogers from some of it's employees, but I still shop there.  I gotta eat and need other basics and they (Kroger, Walmart, Target, Meijer, and others) provide, depending on where I'm at and what I need. Like you I'm all for better treatment for employees, but I'm not a union guy either.  I've got mixed opinions on the topic and I guess not strong enough opinion any of the places to warrant a boycott.  Like I said to each their own.

That could very well be the case, I've been out of the Wally World loop for ten plus years. LOL

I didn't mean to insinuate that you were disputing my story, sorry if it came off that way....I was just adding more info to it.  I frequent Kroger, Meijer, and GFS.  When I'm in Cincy, I ALWAYS take a cooler and stop by Jungle Jim's.  If I lived there, that's where I'd go pretty much exclusively.  I love that place.  Great cigar and craft beer selection. :andy:

(06-21-2017, 02:31 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Boy, Wyche you're making me think twice about going to Walmart.  I've heard others complain about how they treat their employees and even read stuff about how Walmart contracts with vendors in a way that they reduce their standards when they supply Walmart with products compared to other stores.  I've been going more to Aldi stores cause frankly nobody can beat their prices on groceries.  I hope you don't have anything bad to say about the quality of their products.  

Even though I don't order pizza that much anymore for various reasons (mostly cause there's always a pizza overrun every other week at work due to meetings), I would say that of all the pizza chains I like Papa John's the best.  Until I read what you wrote.  Even though I haven't ordered their pizza in two years (and probably just 5 or so times over the last five years or more), I might just have to remove them from consideration.   

There is an Aldi in my hometown, and my folks frequent it.  They are currently clearing ground where I live now to build one.  I can't wait.  It's basically "the working man's Whole Foods".  I haven't heard anything but good about Aldi.

Of the pizza chains, Jet would be my favorite.  We have a few local and regional outfits here that we order from.  Like you, when I learned all of that, Papa John's never had a place at my table again.  Jimmy Johns can kick rocks too, and I hate that....loved the Gargantuan sub.

Reply/Quote
(06-21-2017, 02:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Its my opinion that if your employeer is treating you that bad its on YOU to go find another job...

And while Walmart sells a lot of made in china stuff so does everywhere else and normally at higher prices.    
I could quit going to Walmart but it wouldn't matter to them.  it would only hurt my wallet.  

But if you really look deep at the world the reason most of it is the way it is is the demand of the consumer.  Wanting easier access faster service and cheaper prices    

Does't hurt my wallet, I filled up two vehicles with Kroger fuel points for $1.03 this weekend......you get double fuel points for shopping on the weekend, and 100 points every time you buy a gift card, and 50 for each prescription.....10 points for every $100 spent during the week.

Meijer offers mPerks, and I received 10 bucks off my entire purchase at the register just last week.

Even if it did hurt it.....we're literally talking pennies. If you lived in a small rural town, and worked as a butcher, and WalMart comes in and runs you out of business, along with all of the other family owned ventures, is really on YOU to find a better job? They often leave little option for employment in some areas. You can't have the myopic view of city life only when you discuss them.

Reply/Quote
(06-21-2017, 05:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: That could very well be the case, I've been out of the Wally World loop for ten plus years. LOL

I didn't mean to insinuate that you were disputing my story, sorry if it came off that way....I was just adding more info to it.  I frequent Kroger, Meijer, and GFS.  When I'm in Cincy, I ALWAYS take a cooler and stop by Jungle Jim's.  If I lived there, that's where I'd go pretty much exclusively.  I love that place.  Great cigar and craft beer selection. :andy:

There is an Aldi in my hometown, and my folks frequent it.  They are currently clearing ground where I live now to build one.  I can't wait.  It's basically "the working man's Whole Foods".  I haven't heard anything but good about Aldi.

Of the pizza chains, Jet would be my favorite.  We have a few local and regional outfits here that we order from.  Like you, when I learned all of that, Papa John's never had a place at my table again.  Jimmy Johns can kick rocks too, and I hate that....loved the Gargantuan sub.

Aldi to me is nostalgia (in a strange way I would even say it's like a mom and pop store to me, although it isn't really). From my family's humble origins, Aldi was the store of choice during my teenage years.  For a couple years when we moved around Ohio, some of my fond memories simply involve 40 minute drives to Aldi sitting in my parents' car.  It's been many years since I left Ohio and I thought Aldi was just a memory.  It's crazy but I got real happy when I saw an Aldi store just driving through near where I live now.   Something just that simple.

I know what you mean about Jungle Jim.  It's like Costco mixed with an international store mixed with whole foods mixed with Kroger, but somehow better than all those put together.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2017, 11:20 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Aldi to me is nostalgia (in a strange way I would even say it's like a mom and pop store to me, although it isn't really). From my family's humble origins, Aldi was the store of choice during my teenage years.  For a couple years when we moved around Ohio, some of my fond memories simply involve 40 minute drives to Aldi sitting in my parents' car.  It's been many years since I left Ohio and I thought Aldi was just a memory.  It's crazy but I got real happy when I saw an Aldi store just driving through near where I live now.   Something just that simple.

I know what you mean about Jungle Jim.  It's like Costco mixed with an international store mixed with whole foods mixed with Kroger, but somehow better than all those put together.

Aldi is a good concept....and their fresh foods are great these days.

Yes, the Jungle is killer.  They let you drink beer while you shop, and the beer selection and cigar humidors are second to none in the grocery business. 

Reply/Quote
Ah yes, Meijers. I  remember the 1980s grocery wars in Dayton when Meijers came to town and everyone thought they were going to be the greatest store since sliced bread. Meijers, Kroger and Walmart drove all of the mom and pop stores and independent stores out of business and consolidated their market shares which was soon followed by higher prices across the board. 
The last time I was in Dayton, it's been awhile now, all the Meijers stores were big empty shells with big parking lots where all the dope was sold and a Kroger and Walmart store every 15 feet around them..
There's no love lost between me and these big box stores. 
They come into towns, destroy all the competition and if they don't reach some arbitrary market share they close down and leave the town with nothing but empty buildings and nowhere for the local residents to shop.
As for pizza, it's one of the easiest foods you can make if you know how to make bread dough. The rest is just sprinkling whatever leftovers you have in the fridge on it. The pizza business is quite literally selling pennies worth of food for dollars and the people who make them are mere assembly line employees at best.  I can't remember the last time I purchased pizza from a chain store and Papa John's would be the last place I would buy food from. I'd rather eat road kill.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2017, 12:51 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Walmart is more every day price.  Not sure how Meijer works..if they actually run 'sale' events.  But the word sale still means something to many.  Each are different theories of promotion.  You go to Walmart expecting reasonable discounts on everything.  But when you go to 'sales', individual items are more emphasized.  Again, I don't know how Meijer works, but if they are kicking your butt I'd guess they are doing it with a good section of items that are succeeding promotionally in sales vs an every day low price tact.

Not meaning to throw the thread off, but I was taught that " sale " only meant that a business is willing to exchange some product for money.No discount has to be present,the businesses know many customers will assume they are getting a better deal. Sad
Reply/Quote
I only shop at Krogers because they are based out of Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2017, 08:57 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yes, the Jungle is killer.  They let you drink beer while you shop.

Yes My new favorite grocery store. All the others can go straight to hell!

Reply/Quote
I have 2 options to buy food and groceries where I live. Kroger and Wal Mart. I go where I save the most money and leave politics out of it. Thank you and have a good day.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2017, 05:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: That could very well be the case, I've been out of the Wally World loop for ten plus years. LOL

No offense taken brother, like I said I shop pretty much where ever I feel I need to for what I want.  But I will say there are some things I won't buy from Walmart, for example I don't shop at Walmart for clothing unless we're talking underwear and socks or an unexpected extended stay and didn't bring clothes with me.

Well I don't smoke cigars, but do like good beers.  I grew up in the Nati and moved back here 8yrs ago and have never been to Jungle Jim's!  I'd like to check it out some time, been meaning to, don't even know where it's at?But if you ever get the chance or ever over this way (Loveland) there is a place here called Cappy's.  It's basically a liquor store with an amazing selection of beer...on tap! You can sample and purchase and drink it there, so it's kinda like a bar with a patio and there's usually a food truck there if you're hungry.  Really cool place :andy:
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2017, 02:31 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: No offense taken brother, like I said I shop pretty much where ever I feel I need to for what I want.  But I will say there are some things I won't buy from Walmart, for example I don't shop at Walmart for clothing unless we're talking underwear and socks or an unexpected extended stay and didn't bring clothes with me.

Well I don't smoke cigars, but do like good beers.  I grew up in the Nati and moved back here 8yrs ago and have never been to Jungle Jim's!  I'd like to check it out some time, been meaning to, don't even know where it's at?But if you ever get the chance or ever over this way (Loveland) there is a place here called Cappy's.  It's basically a liquor store with an amazing selection of beer...on tap! You can sample and purchase and drink it there, so it's kinda like a bar with a patio and there's usually a food truck there if you're hungry.  Really cool place :andy:

There are two locations - Fairfield and Eastgate.
https://www.google.com/search?q=jungle+jims+locations&rlz=1C1PRFB_enUS624US624&oq=jungle+jims+locations&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.8945j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2017, 03:37 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: There are two locations - Fairfield and Eastgate.
https://www.google.com/search?q=jungle+jims+locations&rlz=1C1PRFB_enUS624US624&oq=jungle+jims+locations&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.8945j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thanks for the link!  I had an inkling of an idea of where they're at.  Both are kind of far from me, and just never quite got to them.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2017, 02:31 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: No offense taken brother, like I said I shop pretty much where ever I feel I need to for what I want.  But I will say there are some things I won't buy from Walmart, for example I don't shop at Walmart for clothing unless we're talking underwear and socks or an unexpected extended stay and didn't bring clothes with me.

Cool man, I'll have to check that joint out sometime.

Reply/Quote
I'm pretty much exclusively Kroger. My wife will go to Meijer on occasion. I avoid Walmart as much as possible, and not for a good reason. Frankly, I feel I'm above the average Walmart shopper. LOL Not really but the place just never feels right.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
A little hidden secret about Walmart and some of the other big box stores,  it's really hard to do anything like price matching because most of the big ticket items are only sold by them. An example is electronic equipment. Nearly all of the stuff sold by Walmart is exclusive to Walmart. They change just one number or one tiny thing on it so that if you think they'll have to price match their competitors think again. They're in essence in store brands even though it may say Samsung or whatever you won't find that exact same model number elsewhere. That's how they get around price match guarantees.. 
Another thing they often do is to discontinue an item really quick and change model numbers to make it difficult to return a defective product. Once an item is discontinued in their stores they wont take them back. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote