Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mel’s mock
Wanted your opinions on what you would do if Kiper’s mock was accurate (I know he’s another TV dork but just go with it)

His mock has several players I would like still available at 18. He has the Bengals taking Latham which I would not like.

The only tackles he has being drafted before pick 18 are Alt and Fashanu.
The top WRs (Harrison, Odunze, Coleman, Nabers, Thomas) have all been picked. Bowers is gone early, too.
I would love having all of these OL options or Newton available.
For me it’s Fuaga or Newton.

What would you do in this scenario?
Reply/Quote
I'd be more than happy with Latham. I think some are just getting bored of him. He's been pegged mid-1st for months. The devil you know, maybe, but still a solid pick. He's already a RT, he's played on both sides of the ball (some DT history) so his hands are good and he knows how to win in tight. More importantly, I'm not one to be wooed by upside, especially with our offensive line and scheme. We've had enough trouble bringing along supposedly polished plug & plays, forget about upside. I'm more risk averse with our OL than I am other positions. We don't have the kind of system where anyone will thrive so I'd rather focus on high floors.

This is really an ideal mock, tho. I'm personally pulling for 5 WRs and 5 QBs to go ahead of us (i.e., 10 players we wouldn't/shouldn't pick anyway). In that sense we'd have the equivalent of a Top 10 pick. It's not looking good for the QBs- McCarthy's sliding out of most Day 1 mocks- but I remain hopeful. Either way, getting our top OT choice after Olu and Alt would be perfect.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 12:18 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Wanted your opinions on what you would do if Kiper’s mock was accurate (I know he’s another TV dork but just go with it)

His mock has several players I would like still available at 18. He has the Bengals taking Latham which I would not like.

The top WRs (Harrison, Odunze, Coleman, Nabers, Thomas) have all been picked. Bowers is gone early, too.

I like Fuaga too but I have moved more to Latham, he is the safer pick and stronger in the run I think... we need to finally hit on a tackle, i think he is the best bet at 18 if available
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would be more than ok if Latham is the first. Hopefully Sweat will be there in the 2nd. We could surprise everyone and go WR in the first. I wouldn’t mind holding off on the WR’s. I know Yoshi didn’t show much but I still think there is tons of potential there. He’s athletic as hell and smart. I am really high on Charlie Jones, think we really have something there. Maybe take J. Wilson in the 3rd if he’s still on the board. Dude is 6’6”, maybe he can convert to TE, who knows. But I wouldn’t use a first or second on a WR in this draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 12:18 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Wanted your opinions on what you would do if Kiper’s mock was accurate (I know he’s another TV dork but just go with it)

His mock has several players I would like still available at 18.  He has the Bengals taking Latham which I would not like.

The top WRs (Harrison, Odunze, Coleman, Nabers, Thomas) have all been picked.  Bowers is gone early, too.

Was just about to come in and post this.

Seems like this is an outdated and dull pick but it's just because he has been the pick for so long that he doesn't exert excitement from the fans anymore.

I'd almost rather take Fuaga, but most sites have Latham first, and might be because Latham played better competition at Bama and Fuaga also struggles with speed rushers, which the NFL is another speed.

This is an important pick and we can't miss on it. We need to protect Burrow. 
Reply/Quote
I think Byron Murphy is a good value pick in the first
Reply/Quote
Personally, I go back and forth on Latham. I like a lot of his tape, but the long list of early round bust Alabama OL scares me. A lot. Folks say scout the player, not the jersey, but I think I've descended to Ohio State level when it comes to 'bama OL, at least under Sabin's staff. If we took him, I could probably convince myself to be excited, but I'd have a nagging feeling about it.

The other main issue I have with Latham is based on his tape, he looks like he will never be a top tier pass protector. I just don't see true, elite upside.

To me, Fashanu, Alt, Mims, Suamataia, and Guyton all have the potential to be All Pro type T's, while Latham, Morgan, and Paul I see developing into solid, but never elite, starters. Fuaga is on the borderline, but I more and more see him falling into that second group. But due to the awful track record of 'bama OL, I don't really know if I consider Latham a safe pick, either.

Currently, I group the T's as...

Elite Upside and Safe=Fashanu, Alt

Elite Upside, but High Risk=Mims, Guyton

Borderline Elite Upside, Moderately Safe-Fuaga, Suamataia

Limited Upside, but Safe-Morgan, Paul

Limited Upside, Moderate Risk-Latham, Fautanu
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote