Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mel Kiper defends the Bengals.
(04-08-2020, 11:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: One thing for sure, we are going to have tons of media following this team for at least the next 2yrs. So much for flying under the radar narrative that we seem to embrace. But I’m good with that.
Is this a pic of Kevin Bacon? I didn't know he was a bengals fan!!!

[Image: 636366694008051534-061517BengalsCamp-15....4&fit=crop]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 02:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Especially considering how many they’ve went through.

The numbers are insane.

Just 3 QBs (Bernie Kosar, Vinnie Testeverde, Tim Couch) started for 15 of the 16 Browns seasons before '03.  Each of those three started for at least 3 seasons and took the Browns to the playoffs at least once.

In the 17 years since then 27 different players have started at QB for the Browns.  Derek Anderson is the only one to have started more than 32 games (2 seasons worth), but he only has 34.  Fifteen different QBs have started at least 8 games over this stretch.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 09:54 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Thanks for sharing & it was great to see some respect thrown toward the Bengals.  I really hope we don't trade down and Burrow is the pick.

You have the chance to take your franchise QB. And it happens to be a kid who is an Ohio native. A kid that had the best season a QB has ever had in college football. A kid who's completion percentage was 76% in the SEC. A kid that won the Heisman. A kid that won the natty. You absolutely have to take him
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 07:26 PM)zygrot24 Wrote: You have the chance to take your franchise QB. And it happens to be a kid who is an Ohio native. A kid that had the best season a QB has ever had in college football. A kid who's completion percentage was 76% in the SEC. A kid that won the Heisman. A kid that won the natty. You absolutely have to take him

No off the field or character issues either. In fact, his Heisman speech suggests the opposite. Things really did work out perfectly for us.

Ofc he still has to prove himself at the NFL level, but we might have finally caught our break...

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 01:55 PM)McC Wrote: Far be it from me to ever say a single good thing about the Browns, and thank you very much for forcing me to do it, but Bernie Kosar was not exactly chopped liver.  And even Brian Sipe had some good years.

Yeah and Andy Dalton was okay and Jeff Blake went to the Pro Bowl.

Also I guess Derek Anderson did too lol or was he an alternate?
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 08:06 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Yeah and Andy Dalton was okay and Jeff Blake went to the Pro Bowl.

Also I guess Derek Anderson did too lol or was he an alternate?

Anderson had that one big season, which, incidentally, was the year we beat the Browns the last game of the year to knock them out of the playoffs.  That was the year of the one year wonder, Peyton Hillis.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 08:21 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: https://youtu.be/wOTFhi7O59U?t=29

Felt good to hear

I just wanna thank Colby for the great question. Rock On 

And thank you Kingslayer for the great post. Kiper nailed it, thanks to all. Joe
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 07:26 PM)zygrot24 Wrote: You have the chance to take your franchise QB. And it happens to be a kid who is an Ohio native. A kid that had the best season a QB has ever had in college football. A kid who's completion percentage was 76% in the SEC. A kid that won the Heisman. A kid that won the natty. You absolutely have to take him

Great post Zygrot. Smart man. Never been a more sure pick in my time being a Bengals fan.

(04-09-2020, 07:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No off the field or character issues either. In fact, his Heisman speech suggests the opposite. Things really did work out perfectly for us.

Ofc he still has to prove himself at the NFL level, but we might have finally caught our break...

We need this break, DAMN!
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
Love it. Mel speaking truth in that rant.

Reply/Quote
Mel wreaking havoc there.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Why is everyone so indignant that some in the media would question whether Burrow would play here? What evidence do they have that we are an organization that is trying to win?

Not sure why Mel is talking about he 80's. . . .they don't even count. The entire was argument, in my mind, was driven by the fact that the Bengals aren't really trying to win, which has been pretty evident. Most of those organizations were trying to win but were pretty terrible about it.. . . just like we were.
Reply/Quote
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/mel-kiper-jr-garbage-spewed-about-bengals-joe-burrow-s-chances-makes-me-sick/ar-BB12FTwL?ocid=hplocalnews

Host Mike Greenberg asked Kiper, "It feels like when we talk about this pick and this draft, it almost feels like people are positioning this like Burrow is being set up to fail in Cincinnati. What do you think of that perspective?"

"I'm disgusted by it, Greeny. It makes me sick," Kiper responded. "And I've been screaming about this for months. I hear this garbage everybody wants to spew about the Bengals and it's a horrible place to go ... it's awful ... you've got no chance for a quarterback to have success. What are you dreaming? You want to just throw out inaccurate information? Fine. It makes me sick. '81 and '88 may be too long ago. But they won in '81 with Kenny Anderson, in '88 with Boomer Esiason - that's too far removed? Fine. Let's fast forward to 2011, 2015. That's not 100 years ago, guys. OK, they had five straight winning seasons, five straight playoff appearances. Should have beat Pittsburgh - it was a penalty late that cost them that opportunity. They had an 11 and 12 win season mixed in with those five straight years of getting to the playoffs. OK? And with Carson Palmer - he got hurt in a playoff game, where they may have won that game. Andy Dalton had success. So this notion that Joe Burrow's going to a place that's never won, never had success, never had a quarterback do anything - is utterly ridiculous. ... C'mon! C'mon! You're gonna say quarterbacks have never had any success - they've done nothing but lose in Cincinnati? ... This notion that Mike Brown and the Bengals don't know how to do it and don't know how to get it done? Yes, it's not the traditional way - the coaches are heavily involved. OK, fine! But it's not like Joe Burrow's going to a place where he has zero chance to be successful. And ironically, nobody wanted Joe Burrow coming out of high school. He said, 'Hey, nobody wanted me.' OK, now you're gonna say, 'I don't want to go to the Bengals?' Now all of a sudden you're gonna flip the script? Uh-uh. Joe Burrow will be fine. The Bengals will be fine. C'mon!"
Reply/Quote
Kiper sure knows his Bengals history too. Impressive.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 02:47 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Kiper sure knows his Bengals history too. Impressive.

For sure.

I also think it's kinda cool that he works for the company yet isn't forced to push forth the company line like most of the other company bozos.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Man, that second vid is special man for frustrated Bengal fans damn. Shocked

Mel Kiper has my respect now, never did before, I liked what he was saying before but that rant was EXACTLY what I
believe as do most Bengal fans. Love hearing this from a guy like Kiper. MAKES ME SICK GREENY LMAO!!!

Steelers make me sick too Mel, with yah man. Smirk Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 12:35 PM)caneyoufeelit Wrote: Why is everyone so indignant that some in the media would question whether Burrow would play here? What evidence do they have that we are an organization that is trying to win?

Not sure why Mel is talking about he 80's. . . .they don't even count. The entire was argument, in my mind, was driven by the fact that the Bengals aren't really trying to win, which has been pretty evident. Most of those organizations were trying to win but were pretty terrible about it.. . . just like we were.

Because the narrative started with a false premise. Florio and others decided flat out that Joe didn’t want to play here and have pushed that story despite no evidence to the contrary. Additionally, even though any team with the first pick has to be coming off a bad season, they act like this team is somehow the worst of the worst.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
[Image: chadburrowtweet.jpg?w=1000]

I love it! Also Burrow liked Chad's tweet about coming to Cincinnati.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Regardless of what Kiper says (he ain’t wrong), this whole narrative by 3nd and 3rd rate bloggers that Burrow doesn’t want to play here never had any basis in fact. When asked, his family said he’d play for whomever drafted him, and finally Burrow himself said it. Yet, there are these knuckle heads who keep saying he won’t play, with no basis for their claims.

Hell, even Zak said they’re locked and loaded on the #1 pick. This isn’t going to be any sort of surprise, no matter how many people say it is. And NO, Miami is not going to give up their 3 1st rounders this year, and one next year for Burrow.

And NO, the Bengals are NOT going to ride Andy into this season and hope they can get another franchise QB in next year’s draft. You have no idea where you’re going to pick next year. And, do you really see anyone better than Burrow in next year’s draft? NO!

Two reasons for this.....

-I think Miami fans really want Burrow over Tua or Herbert. They’re trying to create a narrative in the hopes that is something that is plausible. It’s not! So, stop it.

-And, as we’ve all seen, there is an undercurrent that unless you’re from NY, CA, PA, or FL, you don’t deserve the best players. That’s bovine excrement, too.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 12:35 PM)caneyoufeelit Wrote: Why is everyone so indignant that some in the media would question whether Burrow would play here? What evidence do they have that we are an organization that is trying to win?

Shut up.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote