Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mel kipers first mock draft
(01-19-2018, 01:50 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Bengals are going to have some nice options to draft at 12 with several QB's and a RB probably going before us.

Should leave a nice pool of players to choose from leftover..

Think there will be big enough name to easily trade pick as well.

Believe we should take whoever falls through the cracks though.

I want to see the Bengals land an excellent 1st round pick, but I also want to see them able to address multiple needs in this same draft.  Part of the "luxury" of being in that 12 spot, is there will likely be multiple players available that fit one of the Bengals primary needs.  If the Bengals can gain an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick, simply for moving back a couple spots, then it is a win-win.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I too prefer R. Smith over Edmunds at 12. Smith is more NFL ready IMHO and would take load off of Burfict just in case Burfict is injured or suspended.

The only exception to this would be picking Nelson over Smith. I just think Nelson would help tremendously in rushing attack and is a special player. If Edmunds is there say 20-24, the Bengals could trade up and grab him or even the Center from OSU in Price. I think the Bengals need quality over quantity this draft.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 01:03 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Not sure if I am ready to rank him over Derwin James yet but do not hate him either. 
I've been on James probably longer than anyone. Favorite player in. Draft for longest. But it's tied for me now.
(01-19-2018, 01:33 PM)Goalpost Wrote: While I like Edmunds this might be a bit early. I think right now he will be available in the second round.
Highly doubt it. He's rocketing up draft boards right now and by the time he destroys combine and pro day he may go earlier than 12. He's already in 3 mock drafts in the top 12 in last 48 hours.
(01-19-2018, 02:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Edmunds has great potential, but I consider him less NFL-ready than Roquan Smith.
If both are on the board, I'd go with Smith.
I view Edmunds more of an 18-25 range guy.
I was hyped on Smith but more I watched him less I liked him. Smith=more athletic darron lee. Both are smaller lbs and Smith looks to run around blocks therefore getting him out of position way to often. Edmunds runs through the blocks and always in right position. Also they're about the same speed wise but Edmunds is taller, bigger, and younger with a Better play iq and better coverage skills.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 01:33 PM)Goalpost Wrote: While I like Edmunds this might be a bit early.  I think right now he will be available in the second round.

Lol.  The best lb in the draft is a 2nd rounder.  Where is roquan smith gonna go? 3rd?  For real id be shocked if tremain edmunds is available at 12.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2018, 08:08 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Wasn't sure if I putt this in draft Central or not, but Mel kipers first mock came out and he has us selecting trumain Edmunds lb out of va tech. He is quickly becoming my favorite player in the draft even over Derwin James. A little insight on him:he's only 19 years old, is 6"5 250 pounds runs a mid 4.4 40.  His range is unbelievable. He has vontaze burfict play recognition smarts. Often criticized for taking the first step too fast. Drawing comparisons to Brian urlacher but he can actually cover EXTREMELY well. Can play mike or Sam.
He can't play Mike but would be ideal at Sam. I started to watch tape of him weeks ago.  Guy is flying up the draft boards. He's more of the Marvin Lewis type long , lanky n can rush the passer.  If still prefer Ruquan Smith buy id be happy with either  .. but we need to sign some lineman first
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 09:36 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: He can't play Mike but would be ideal at Sam. I started to watch tape of him weeks ago.  Guy is flying up the draft boards. He's more of the Marvin Lewis type long , lanky n can rush the passer.  If still prefer Ruquan Smith buy id be happy with either  .. but we need to sign some lineman first

FWIW, Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com has the Bengals taking Connor Williams in his mock.

Williams may be the highest "graded" Tackle in the draft, but I still don't like the idea of the Bengals taking more damaged goods at such an important position.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 12:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: FWIW, Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com has the Bengals taking Connor Williams in his mock.

Williams may be the highest "graded" Tackle in the draft, but I still don't like the idea of the Bengals taking more damaged goods at such an important position.

Yep damaged goods and Bengals does not usually work out it seems. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 09:36 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: He can't play Mike but would be ideal at Sam. I started to watch tape of him weeks ago.  Guy is flying up the draft boards. He's more of the Marvin Lewis type long , lanky n can rush the passer.  If still prefer Ruquan Smith buy id be happy with either  .. but we need to sign some lineman first

Why do u think he can't play mike?
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 09:36 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: He can't play Mike but would be ideal at Sam. I started to watch tape of him weeks ago.  Guy is flying up the draft boards. He's more of the Marvin Lewis type long , lanky n can rush the passer.  If still prefer Ruquan Smith buy id be happy with either  .. but we need to sign some lineman first

SAM is one of those typically undervalued spots on the Bengals roster, yet everyone wonders why TEs and screens to RBs eat the Bengals alive..

I'm with you, I'd like to see Edmunds at SAM.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 12:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: FWIW, Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com has the Bengals taking Connor Williams in his mock.

Please no more first-round injured athletes.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 09:55 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Lol.  The best lb in the draft is a 2nd rounder.  Where is roquan smith gonna go? 3rd?  For real id be shocked if tremain edmunds is available at 12.

Linebackers generally don't go very high in the first round unless they are pass rushers.

Both those guys could easily fall outside the top 15.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 12:10 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Linebackers generally don't go very high in the first round unless they are pass rushers.

Both those guys could easily fall outside the top 15.

I found it particularly odd that DJ from NFL.com had both Smith and Edmunds going before 12.  That is like a freak anomaly that is rarely seen.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 01:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: SAM is one of those typically undervalued spots on the Bengals roster, yet everyone wonders why TEs and screens to RBs eat the Bengals alive..

I'm with you, I'd like to see Edmunds at SAM.

Edmunds has the ability to play all the linebacker spots. Most importantly he can play MIKE and SAM and be that in the box/ near the line of scrimmage dominate physical presence we see from Burfict. 

I believe the Bengals have a couple decent WILLs in Vigil and Evans but both of them struggled when moved to SAM. Cincy didn't have anyone to replace Burfict or Minter when they missed time.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 02:33 AM)Synric Wrote: Edmunds has the ability to play all the linebacker spots. Most importantly he can play MIKE and SAM and be that in the box/ near the line of scrimmage dominate physical presence we see from Burfict. 

I believe the Bengals have a couple decent WILLs in Vigil and Evans but both of them struggled when moved to SAM. Cincy didn't have anyone to replace Burfict or Minter when they missed time.

Seems like you might be confused on what the LB assignments are in the 4-3 base defense.  Burfict plays WILL, the weakside LB.  SAM is the strongside LB, the side the TE or strength of the formation is aligned.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2018, 08:47 PM)thillan Wrote: He's gonna say, "It's because he can run and Andy got sacked too much and SUCKS!"

Incredibly, he will say this after just talking about how without three new offensive linemen, the team will go nowhere.  
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 01:13 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Cbs rated him as an early/mid 2nd rounder not too long ago. That was a quick rise pre-combine, but I can see why. The dude can fly and can stack and shed. He looks like a faster, better version of Bernardrick Mckinney at first blush. 

And if you look at what the LB from Temple climbed POST combine, you can imagine he will do the same.  Plus, watch the LBs on the playoff teams.  They are amazing where ours can't cover and struggle to tackle in space.  I put LB ahead of every position group right now, with Center and Safety very close behind.  I know everyone is going to scream LT, but I think Boling might be the best "win-now" option.  The guy was incredible given the circumstances.  And I would consider either going with Westerman as Center with Redmond at RG or Westerman at LG and draft a Center.  
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 12:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seems like you might be confused on what the LB assignments are in the 4-3 base defense.  Burfict plays WILL, the weakside LB.  SAM is the strongside LB, the side the TE or strength of the formation is aligned.

Burfict didn't line up much as the weak side backer this season. When he got back from his suspension Guenther moved Vigil to the weak side and had Burfict playing SAM. After Minter was injured it was Burfict rotating with V.Rey between Mike and Will with Vigil back at SAM (where he struggled). Then it just devolved in injury after injury...

Of course Burfict plays Mike in the nickle also.

Edit: Jordan Evans started at a different spot rhe last 3 games lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
It will be interesting to see if Austin uses more of a traditional 4-3 or if he sticks with the Bengals nickel.

Keep in mind that the base defense for the Bengals the last few years has been nickel - which probably explains why there has never been much of an emphasis on the SAM backer. He's rarely on the field.

I'd still be shocked to see them using a high pick (round 1-3) on a linebacker.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 12:07 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It will be interesting to see if Austin uses more of a traditional 4-3 or if he sticks with the Bengals nickel.

Keep in mind that the base defense for the Bengals the last few years has been nickel - which probably explains why there has never been much of an emphasis on the SAM backer.  He's rarely on the field.

I'd still be shocked to see them using a high pick (round 1-3) on a linebacker.
Probably why we give up so many yards rushing.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 01:55 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Probably why we give up so many yards rushing.

I'd say that has more to do with the interior line.

We would be giving up a ton of passing yards if we were in a base 4-3 vs. 3 wide.
Reply/Quote