Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missouri Voters Overturn Right-To-Work Measure
(08-09-2018, 02:53 PM)Benton Wrote: The employees help set the value of the employees. And their qualifications. Unions keep employers from bringing in unqualified (and potentially dangerous) unskilled workers.

And teacher unions are public sector, which is different. But even then, in relation to what you’re talking about, pay scales are largely dictated by boards of education and tax base, not unions. Teacher unions advocate for working conditions, resources and yes sometimes pay increases.

I disagree with the term "help" haha.

Wages for teachers, at least around here, are collectively bargained between districts and local teachers unions. 
(08-09-2018, 01:58 PM)Dill Wrote: Thought you said: "Sucks having to pay the man for the right to work."

It does; not sure how your response is germane to that. Are you saying one should sacrifice one's freedom to obtain better things?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-09-2018, 03:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It does; not sure how your response is germane to that. Are you saying one should sacrifice one's freedom to obtain better things?

That pretty much sums up working.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-09-2018, 01:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What motivation does an employer have to require folks to pay union dues if not compelled to do so? 

It could have been used as a bargaining chip or leverage at some point to create a contract more favorable for the employer. Employers could also find it easier to renegotiate with one in place and easier to manage the payroll and benefits of all employees if they're on the same pay scale and have the same benefits. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-09-2018, 03:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: I disagree with the term "help" haha.

Wages for teachers, at least around here, are collectively bargained between districts and local teachers unions. 

Ohio?

I'm not familiar with the set up there. In Kentucky, teacher wages go up around 1-3 % in most districts during most years, but there's not much negotiation. By law they're limited on how much they can increase property taxes each year. Most districts take the max, but it doesn't keep up with even that 1-3%, much less increasing electric bills, unfunded state/federal mandates and future building needs.
Being the moderate at times that I am, I see this issue as one that should be based on the times we are living in. A 100 years ago, unions were necessary up until the government instituted labor laws protecting workers, minimum wages, and most importantly when wealth inequality was at a low point in the late 70s. Then unions weren't needed as much. However with that inequality expanding back to late 1920 levels, unions are needed again as one of many factors that can help offset that. This is especially true for those vaginormous size companies raking in billions in profits yearly yet the worker base is making peanuts.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Perspective from the outside looking in, it's amazing how some of these conversations taking place seem so absurdly similar, but on different topics and with the sides reversed.....

Right: Why should I have to pay union dues just to get a job?
Left: Then just don't work there.
Right: That's unfair!

Left: Why should that baker be allowed to not bake a cake for gay marriage?
Right: Then just don't go there.
Left: That's unfair!

- - - - - -

Left: They've been shrinking OSHA powers.
Right: It's still there, though.
Left: They're going to eventually try to get rid of it!
Right: Don't be so absurd.

Right: The Left has been trying to shrink the 2nd Amendment rights!
Left: It's still there, though.
Right: They're going to eventually try to get rid of it!
Left: Don't be so absurd.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(08-09-2018, 06:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Perspective from the outside looking in, it's amazing how some of these conversations taking place seem so absurdly similar, but on different topics and with the sides reversed.....

To be fair, at least for my part, my use of that argument was just to mock the right and point out the hypocrisy.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(08-09-2018, 06:59 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: To be fair, at least for my part, my use of that argument was just to mock the right and point out the hypocrisy.

Sorry bro. It’s written and quoted and will remain forever. Already got it saved to throw in your face.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(08-09-2018, 06:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Perspective from the outside looking in, it's amazing how some of these conversations taking place seem so absurdly similar, but on different topics and with the sides reversed.....

- - - - - -

Left: They've been shrinking OSHA powers.
Right: It's still there, though.
Left: They're going to eventually try to get rid of it!
Right: Don't be so absurd.

Right: The Left has been trying to shrink the 2nd Amendment rights!
Left: It's still there, though.
Right: They're going to eventually try to get rid of it!
Left: Don't be so absurd.

Oh the hypocrisy of partisan politics...... :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

(08-09-2018, 07:02 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Sorry bro. It’s written and quoted and will remain forever. Already got it saved to throw in your face.

No doubt I got they bolded and saved in post 21. No indication of mockery.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-09-2018, 03:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It does; not sure how your response is germane to that. Are you saying one should sacrifice one's freedom to obtain better things?

Like staying alive? Up to the person.