Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memorial Day Ediquette
I thought I would inquire as to people's thoughts on this Holiday.

As a retired Service Member I am/was conflicted when someone does/did come up to me and single me out to wish me a happy Memorial Day. Words cannot express how much I am thankful that they take the time to do so; but another side understands that this day is intended to Honor the Fallen in Combat (I do believe it has recently been extend to First Responders who have given their lives in the line of duty and rightly so).

I actually know some service members who get offended when you wish them a Happy Memorial Day as some go as far as to feel guilty that they are living while another is not. So my suggestion is if you want to recognize an active service member on this day I suggest: "My thoughts are with your fallen fellow service members on this  day." Of course feel free to go with Happy Memorial Day, but understand many are not Happy on this day.

Now on Veterans Day, celebrate the ones that remain.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2017, 12:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought I would inquire as to people's thoughts on this Holiday.

As a retired Service Member I am/was conflicted when someone does/did come up to me and single me out to wish me a happy Memorial Day. Words cannot express how much I am thankful that they take the time to do so; but another side understands that this day is intended to Honor the Fallen in Combat (I do believe it has recently been extend to First Responders who have given their lives in the line of duty and rightly so).

I actually know some service members who get offended when you wish them a Happy Memorial Day as some go as far as to feel guilty that they are living while another is not. So my suggestion is if you want to recognize an active service member on this day I suggest: "My thoughts are with your fallen fellow service members on this  day." Of course feel free to go with Happy Memorial Day, but understand many are not Happy on this day.

Now on Veterans Day, celebrate the ones that remain.

I had shared a reminder on the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans day on Facebook and the wife of a retired serviceman responded that he always simply replies thank you.  Although knowing him I wouldn't be surprised if he (more than) occasionally continues on to explain the difference if given the chance.

I'll leave it as if they don't know the difference in the days at least they took the time to say thank you to a veteran.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
To me it is foremost about remembering and honoring those that gave their lives for our country during service as that was the original intent of the holiday for fallen Civil War soldiers. But it is perfectly fine honoring those that have passed away after they served as well, and those still alive, particularly those wounded.

As I've grown older, I think it's also fine to honor those that have passed like my grandfather who was a bit too old to serve in WW2. He worked 7 days a week during the war at the Milicron here in Cincy that made engines and other necessary things that was essential to the war effort. Without folks like him on the lines back here, the war would not have gone in our favor.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Many people do not know the difference. Our church calls all the veterans up every Memorial day, Veterans day and july 4th. Sad thing is, none of us ever want to be recognized, and most times I just stay in the pew. I get taps on the shoulder from people asking if I'm going up, I just respond, not today. Some people are out to do the right thing, even if they don't understand it. But that's ok, at least they're not spitting.

I do honor my Grandfather, father and Brother whom were veterans but didn't die in combat and friends that served who also did not die in combat, all who are no longer with us. I also honor my Mother who was terrified when her only 2 sons were both in the military and feared for their safety. She is definitely deserving. Sad

Reply/Quote
I had an Uncle that didn't make it home from Germany in WWII, 2 friends that didn't make it home from Vietnam, and two more friends that committed suicide after serving in Nam. No confusion in my circle about what Memorial Day is about. Truth is this isn't the only day I think about them ....
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.wlwt.com/article/after-nearly-70-years-cincinnati-veterans-remains-are-coming-home/9561618

My great uncle Eugene Johnson was finally brought home to be laid to rest this Memorial Day... I remember when I was a lot younger, my grandfather (Eugene's brother, my grandfather) finally received his brother's war medals including his Purple Heart. We were all so happy and relieved to hear this news last month. I remember Eugene always being brought up over the holidays and how much everyone missed him. Rest In Peace Eugene, and thank you to everyone who has had to sacrifice what we only get once to save the rest of ours. Thank you for everything.
Reply/Quote
If I were serving and someone wished me a happy Memorial Day I'd be all kind of superstitious that they just jinxed me.

(Since this isn't P&R, I won't mention Obama. LOL)
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I made a Facebook post wishing everyone a "Happy Memorial Day" but took it down about 5 minutes after I posted. It just didnt sit right with me.

Im not a veteran or have never been in the service, but it just seemed wrong wishing someone a "happy memorial day". This isn't Christmas or Easter, its a day of remembrance.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 08:29 AM)Takedown Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.wlwt.com/article/after-nearly-70-years-cincinnati-veterans-remains-are-coming-home/9561618

My great uncle Eugene Johnson was finally brought home to be laid to rest this Memorial Day... I remember when I was a lot younger, my grandfather (Eugene's brother, my grandfather) finally received his brother's war medals including his Purple Heart. We were all so happy and relieved to hear this news last month. I remember Eugene always being brought up over the holidays and how much everyone missed him. Rest In Peace Eugene, and thank you to everyone who has had to sacrifice what we only get once to save the rest of ours. Thank you for everything.

Thanks for sharing

Reply/Quote
I wanted to rep you b....but you musta been bad over in the PnR.

I posted a simple flag gif on Memorial Day, and a line about remembering the true reason for the holiday.  I had never really given it much of a thought, until people my age starting dieing on foreign shores.  Happy Memorial Day surely just does not fit.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
That was a good tip bfine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2017, 04:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: I wanted to rep you b....but you musta been bad over in the PnR.

I posted a simple flag gif on Memorial Day, and a line about remembering the true reason for the holiday.  I had never really given it much of a thought, until people my age starting dying on foreign shores.  Happy Memorial Day surely just does not fit.

Yeah, I fought the law and the law won

Whatever you do on Memorial Day, don't do like Pitbull:

[Image: rapper-pitbull-gets-roasted-by-the-inter...weet_1.jpg]

Reply/Quote