Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memorial Day: Who served?
I had no inclination to join the military. I was too doughy.

However I have great respect for the folks who chose and choose to do so.

Also I have a lot of military people in my family line.

My father was in the AF during Vietnam. He was not IN Vietnam...he was in Germany for three years.

My father-in-law was in the army in Asia at the same time.

One uncle was int he army and another in the Marines and they were both in Vietnam.

One grandfather was in Europe during WWII the other was in Panama at the same time.

Anyone else want to share?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
My uncle died in 2005 from a IED over in Iraq. RIP Major Ray Mendoza, he was a former OSU wrestler, and an alternative for the Olympics back in the day.

My grandpa's fought in WWII & Korean war.

One of my grandpa's was lucky. 40 people in his squad 38 of them were sent to Korea, and him and another radio guy went to Germany. Within a week all 38 of his comrades were dead.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 09:33 AM)magikod Wrote: My uncle died in 2005 from a IED over in Iraq. RIP Major Ray Mendoza, he was a former OSU wrestler, and an alternative for the Olympics back in the day.

One of my grandpa's was lucky. 40 people in his squad 38 of them were sent to Korea, and him and another radio guy went to Germany. Within a week all 38 of his comrades were dead.

Jebus! That's more than just luck! That's fate!
Reply/Quote
My grandfather served WWII, father and 2 Uncles during Vietnam.
I'm currently still serving. Have a little over 20 years in. Plan on retiring next year. Thanks to everyone who has served and thanks for everyone's support.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
Thanks to everyone who has served. Thanks for protecting our freedom cause freedom isn't free.
Reply/Quote
My gandfather had his family later in life (his mid-40s). At the age of 15+, stuck on a farm and bored to tears (to hear him tell it), he lied about his age and signed up to fight in WWI. He was in the Navy. Looking at myself at 16, how I acted and felt about things, I cannot magine signing up to join a war in Europe that was already in progress. He died in 1989, and outside of his motivations to join, never talked about his experiences over there.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I was in the Army for 14 years. I had two brothers in the Army and one in the Air Force. My mom and dad were both in the Air Force. My brother-in-law was in the Navy. My dad was in Korea at the Pusan Perimeter in 1950 and served time on the frontline when they were desperate for warm bodies. I had one uncle who was in the Air Force in Vietnam and another uncle who was Army Airborne during D-Day in WWII.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Thank you everybody and thank you to my fellow vets for your service.

My dad was in Vietnam serving in the USN. Both grandfathers were in the Army Air Corp during WWII, one was stationed state side, while the other was a crewman on a B-24 liberator stationed in India (I've got some cool pictures from him). My 3 great uncles (my grandmothers 3 brothers) all served in the Navy in the south pacific during WWII. And my 2nd cousin is a captain in the Army with multiple deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Personally I served in the Navy from 92'-96' as a Quartermaster aboard the USS Tortuga LSD46, stationed out of Little Creek Amphibious base in VA Beach.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 09:33 AM)magikod Wrote: My uncle died in 2005 from a IED over in Iraq. RIP Major Ray Mendoza, he was a former OSU wrestler, and an alternative for the Olympics back in the day.

My thoughts are with your uncle on this day.

I served; however, that is not what we commemorate today. We honor those, like your Uncle, that paid the ultimate sacrifice, so that we may act like children on this message board.

We will celebrate your Grandfathers and all who served on Veterans Day.

No disrespect to the OP and I applaud the sentiment of the thread.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 02:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My thoughts are with your uncle on this day.

I served; however, that is not what we commemorate today. We honor those, like your Uncle, that paid the ultimate sacrifice, so that we may act like children on this message board.

None taken. My wife said the same this morning: This is for those who have served and passed...not the current ones. I've been of the opinion over the past few years that it has been co-opted into another Veteran's Day. And in my mind there is nothing wrong with acknowledging their service twice a year...at least.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 02:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My thoughts are with your uncle on this day.

Ah yeah my bad I get memorial day and veterans day mixed up sometimes.

Anyways if any of you are interested here's a little article about my uncle.

http://www.1dayforthekia.org/major-ray-j-mendoza/

I always think of the Killers (the band) when I think of him. He had just bought the album with Mr. Brightside on it about a week before he was deployed.
They used that song for a video montage of him at his funeral.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 02:24 PM)magikod Wrote: Ah yeah my bad I get memorial day and veterans day mixed up sometimes.

Anyways if any of you are interested here's a little article about my uncle.

http://www.1dayforthekia.org/major-ray-j-mendoza/

I always think of the Killers (the band) when I think of him. He had just bought the album with Mr. Brightside on it about a week before he was deployed.
They used that song for a video montage of him at his funeral.

Thank you for sharing. Your uncle was truly an amazing man. I am not afraid to admit that I got choked up reading it and had a hard time making it through.

I must admit that I am unfamiliar with The Killer or the song, but I will definitely search it.

Reply/Quote
I had just finished conducting month-long operations with this man in the mountains of the Ghor Province of Afghanistan. When we were scheduled to convoy back to Shindad Airfield, he flew out ahead so that he could attend meetings in Kabul:

http://www.courant.com/news/custom/newsat3/hc-ctwar-casualty-mmcmahon-story.html#page=1

[Image: zzmcmahon_michael_j.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Both of my grandfathers served in WWII. One in the Pacific, the other in North Africa and Italy. My dad was in Vietnam, and retired from the Army in 2003. He provided me with a great upbringing, but always steered me away from the military. My cousin was in the Navy and served in the Persian Gulf (the second go round) he passed 2 yrs ago, but not while deployed.

Thanks to all of you who have served.

There are no words that can pay tribute to those who gave up everything, and lost their lives serving this country.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 02:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thank you for sharing. Your uncle was truly an amazing man. I am not afraid to admit that I got choked up reading it and had a hard time making it through.

I must admit that I am unfamiliar with The Killer or the song, but I will definitely search it.

The OSU football team put RM on the back of there helmets I think it was against Michigan to show there respect for Ray Mendoza and all the soldiers that risk there lives giving us freedom.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111805aab.html

My aunt and my cousins got tickets to the game and got to meet a lot of the players.
Reply/Quote

Truth.

But I also include those who sacrificed a part of themselves (limbs, sanity, family, etc.) on Memorial Day.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Thank you to all who have served! God bless each and every one of you. Past, present, and future!

I've never served, but my Gpa was a medic in WW2. He just missed Normandy and DDay, but his company was in the Battle of the Bulge. He never would talk about too many details about his time served but before he passed away a few years back me and my cousin did get him to share a few stories. I also had a great uncle who did serve on DDay. My G'ma was telling about when he came back home, no one knew he was back. Somebody finally recognized him living on the streets in a neighboring town. When he finally came home he would never talk about the shit he saw over there in Europe. For weeks after he was home, he was always found in the mornings out in the corn field facing east. Tears streaming down his face. Kind of spooked everyone out then. Cannot imagine what he went thru. I never got to know him as he died when I was a little boy. Wish I could have talked to him.
And finally my Dad was a Marine in Vietnam. Served from '70 to '71. He was a mechanic that pretty much served in the rear. Thankfully he never saw any of the nasty shit.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote