Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memories of a Christmas Eve Game

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Epic. Awesome athleticism.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Right in front of me in south end zone. One of my more memorable PBS moments.
Reply/Quote
Sweet memory, too bad i was on the opposite end zone
Reply/Quote
Two points.

1. At the time that was a big game for us. We were 8-6. Cards were 7-7. Both teams struggling to stay in the playoff race.

2. Simpson was not a bad pick in the second round of that '08 draft. He had more career receptions than 2 of the 5 WRs drafted higher than him, and 5 of the other 9 WRs taken in the top 2 rounds.
Reply/Quote
We were in the upper deck near the north end zone. Still spectacular, even from that distance.

The thread title reminded me of the Christmas Eve game in 1995 versus Minny. It was sparsely attended and cold that day. A buddy at work had been given tickets by a family friend and invited me along. It was my second time sitting in the yellow seats at Riverfront, and I remember the lines for the concessions were so short, and being used to the long lines on the red level, I marveled at the luxury of it all.

We trailed for most of the game, but at one point Bake threw one of his patented rainbow passes to Pickens for a TD. It was tied late, and Minny had a chance for a go-ahead FG, but their kicker slipped on the icy end of the field and fell on his ass and the ball sailed wide. We got the ball with under 2:00 left and drove into FG range. Pelfrey came out and hit a walk-off 50+ yarder at the gun.

It was a meaningless finale, on a cold day and in front of a small crowd during the lost decade, but damn, it was exciting.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 01:04 PM)pally Wrote:

Ah yes… that was an amazing play. But that was also one of the more infuriating Bengal games I’ve ever seen.

They had a huge lead in a very important game, but in typical Marvin Lewis fashion nearly gave the game away down the stretch. That second half collapse was nearly complete until a Cardinals WR fell while wide open in the end zone on (what I believe was) 4th down. Dodged a huge bullet that game and snuck into the playoffs in Andy and AJ’s first season.

Amazing play that I love to see… but that game overall was putrid.
Reply/Quote
i never grow tired of watching this clip
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 01:52 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Ah yes… that was an amazing play. But that was also one of the more infuriating Bengal games I’ve ever seen.

They had a huge lead in a very important game, but in typical Marvin Lewis fashion nearly gave the game away down the stretch. That second half collapse was nearly complete until a Cardinals WR fell while wide open in the end zone on (what I believe was) 4th down. Dodged a huge bullet that game and snuck into the playoffs in Andy and AJ’s first season.

Amazing play that I love to see… but that game overall was putrid.

Wow, I had forgotten all about that.  Yeah, they had us dead to rights and we got a lucky assist.  All I really remembered was the flip.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 01:56 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Wow, I had forgotten all about that.  Yeah, they had us dead to rights and we got a lucky assist.  All I really remembered was the flip.

Just looked it up. They had a 23-0 lead at the start of the 4th quarter. The wide open cardinal in end zone was a fourth down play but they also got the ball back for one final chance… Skelton hit a receiver in the middle of the field and the clock ran out. Poor situational awareness by QB and/or receiver gave the Bengals the win. The cardinals had no business losing that game after the worst coached fourth quarter in Bengals franchise history, but luckily the football gods intervened twice in the final minutes
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 01:52 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: but in typical Marvin Lewis fashion nearly gave the game away down the stretch. 

Marvin never lost a single game due to being too conservative with a lead.

(12-24-2021, 02:00 PM)Pat5775 Wrote:  The cardinals had no business losing that game after the worst coached fourth quarter in Bengals franchise history, 

Coaching had nothing to do with the Cards comeback.  It was Cedric Benson losing two fumbles in the 4th quarter.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 02:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin never lost a single game due to being too conservative with a lead.

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 02:13 PM)magikod Wrote: Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

That is the usual response I get from people who don't know what they are talking about.  So instead of emojis please give me a specific example of Marvin losing a game because he was too conservative with a lead.

I clearly remember one game he lost by being too aggressive and throwing the ball with a big lead late in the game (Tampa '10), but I can't remember a single one he lost due to being too conservative.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 02:13 PM)magikod Wrote: Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Do not feed the Fred. He thrives off of this crap Whatever
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 01:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Two points.

1.  At the time that was a big game for us.  We were 8-6.  Cards were 7-7.  Both teams struggling to stay in the playoff race.

2.  Simpson was not a bad pick in the second round of that '08 draft.  He had more career receptions than 2 of the 5 WRs drafted higher than him, and 5 of the other 9 WRs taken in the top 2 rounds.

So they all sucked then?
Reply/Quote
Ugh I got a knot in my stomach just reading this thread title. Thought it was going to be about the Brad St Louis game smh. Not the best Christmas Eve of my life.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 02:40 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Ugh I got a knot in my stomach just reading this thread title. Thought it was going to be about the Brad St Louis game smh. Not the best Christmas Eve of my life.

I thought this was gonna be about the Texans bengals game where Bullock missed the game winner
Reply/Quote
Anyone else in here at the Christmas Eve game vs the Eagles in 94? Bengals trailed 30-20 in the 4th. They managed to tie the game at 30 on a FG by Pelfrey with 7 secs left. Lee Johnson kicks off. Can’t remember if it was a squib kick or onside but the Eagles fumble and the Bengals recover with 3 secs left. Pelfrey had his helmet off and had basically just got to the bench area and they were yelling for the FG team. He actually started running on the field without his helmet it was such a quick turnaround lol. He got his helmet and proceeded to kick a 54yd game winning FG for a Dave Shula led team that would finish 3-13. There were not many people left in the stands but for those of us that stayed it was a pretty cool win. One of my favorite memories at Riverfront.

Boxscore
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199412240cin.htm
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 02:00 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Just looked it up. They had a 23-0 lead at the start of the 4th quarter. The wide open cardinal in end zone was a fourth down play but they also got the ball back for one final chance… Skelton hit a receiver in the middle of the field and the clock ran out. Poor situational awareness by QB and/or receiver gave the Bengals the win. The cardinals had no business losing that game after the worst coached fourth quarter in Bengals franchise history, but luckily the football gods intervened twice in the final minutes

That rings a bell.  I remember our hanging on seemed miraculous at the time.  

This discussion jogged a few more random memories from that day:

1) It was a smaller crowd that day.  Not close to a sellout.  I looked and the Bengals site says there were 41k in attendance.  

2) There were a group of young Giants fans who were walking around the west canopy level and talking to fans about how they'd made the drive down to cheer aganst the Cardinals, their former NFC East rivals.  Had a brief interaction with them, they were hysterical.  

3) The national anthem was sung by Barry Williams, Mr. Greg Brady himself.  Believe he was in town for some musical theater engagement.  

It's funny what you remember and forget.  
Reply/Quote
Simpson had some hops. Awesome play by him. Cool
Reply/Quote