Reply/Quote
[Image: th?id=JN.xoJgLwXJk6nYC39%2brkolyA&pid=15.1&P=0]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Nobody ran over people like Pete.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 09:20 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: [Image: th?id=JN.xoJgLwXJk6nYC39%2brkolyA&pid=15.1&P=0]

I thought about Neal, but he was only a Bengal for 2 years and Dillon's averaged dropped over 1/2 YPC with Neal as his FB his first year. Also ironic he wore #41 as that is the number of yards he rushed for his 2 years in stripes

Neal is an example of perhaps the best, just not the best as a Bengal. WTS, I cannot believe Pete is not running away with this one.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 10:50 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Nobody ran over people like Pete.

Very true. Except when we really needed it the most.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 10:50 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Nobody ran over people like Pete.

Except possibly Larry Kinnebrew.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 10:56 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Except possibly Larry Kinnebrew.

Kinnebrew was a bowling ball......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
If I voted with my heart, it's Elbert "Ickey" Woods all the way. One of my all time faves.......but if we're looking at careers here, it's gotta be Pete. He was before my most vivid memories, but looking at numbers and archived footage puts him at the top. If Ickey had lasted longer, I would have given him the nod like I did Boomer over Anderson.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
It will be a shame if Pete doesn't win this vote. Not only was he a terrific power runner and a terrific redzone weapon, but he was also an very good blocker and an a reliable pass catcher.
Reply/Quote
I can't say this with authority due to not being an old timer, but it seems as though the definition of "FB" has changed drastically. Players who played "FB" in the 70s, 80s, and 90s would just be considered H-Bs now, wouldn't they?

On topic: Ickey because he helped to carry a team to the SB and played well in it.
Reply/Quote
I voted for Pete Johnson. I don't remember him, but I just know how important he was to the first SB team and he had a better career than any of these guys.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I honestly didn't know just how great Pete's (Bengals) numbers were til I looked it up.

- 6748 yards from scrimmage
- 70 total TD's
- Bengals record for rush TD's
- From '78 through '82 (5 seasons), he averaged 1044 yards from scrimmage and 10.4 TD's.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 10:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought about Neal, but he was only a Bengal for 2 years and Dillon's averaged dropped over 1/2 YPC with Neal as his FB his first year. Also ironic he wore #41 as that is the number of yards he rushed for his 2 years in stripes

Neal is an example of perhaps the best, just not the best as a Bengal. WTS, I cannot believe Pete is not running away with this one.

Yeah, I agree about Neal. And about Pete.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Didn't vote on this one, as I would have voted for 'Zo.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 11:34 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It will be a shame if Pete doesn't win this vote. Not only was he a terrific power runner and a terrific redzone weapon, but he was also an very good blocker and an a reliable pass catcher.

I see what you are saying but I am having a rough time with this one. We have guys on this list that were listed as FBs but were they really? I think if you look at Jim Brown that he was listed as a FB but was he actually a FB in the real sense of the position? I think guys such as Pete and Ickey (much like Brown) were actually just big half backs.

I guess when I think of the actual FB role that Jeremi seems to be the best we have had when it comes to the traditional role of a FB.

For the record I voted for Pete Johnson and it was a vote of the heart the brain said vote for Jeremi because he was outstanding in the actual FB role.
Reply/Quote
V
(06-02-2015, 10:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought about Neal, but he was only a Bengal for 2 years and Dillon's averaged dropped over 1/2 YPC with Neal as his FB his first year. Also ironic he wore #41 as that is the number of yards he rushed for his 2 years in stripes

I was just trying to be a smart ass.

I don't think he was the best FB we had.

He was a pretty good one in the league though.

My vote goes for PJ.

That being said.  This team sufferd when Jermi ate himself out of the league.

He didn't have the big numbers or accolades but was sorely missed. 
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
[Image: ickey-shuffle-o.gif]

Sorry but I want to add this kind of fun to the sideline. I think he had a knee injury right? So if he didn't have that or maybe if he played in todays NFL he might have been able to come back from that.
Reply/Quote

how many people here were alive when pete was on the team? that could be a big reason
Reply/Quote
Had to vote for Pete Johnson. That 49'er goal line stand though..ugh. Fond memories of Kinnebrew also.
Reply/Quote