28 38.36%
LANDON JOHNSON
1.37%
1 1.37%
Total 73 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Message Board All-Time Bengal Team (OLB)
OLB (Pick 2)

AL BEAUCHAMP
[Image: Al_Beauchamp_medium.jpg]
Only missed 1 game in 8 year Bengal Career
15 career INTS

REGGIE WILLIAMS
[Image: williams_reggie_kg.jpg]
62.5 sacks, 16 INTs in 14 year Bengal Career
NFL All-Rookie Team (1976)

JAMES FRANCIS
[Image: 081797francis_450x393.jpg]
33 sacks, 11 INTs in 9 year Bengal Career
Led the team in tackles as a Rookie

BRIAN SIMMONS
[Image: 1998simmons.jpg?itok=VVfKjXlm]
721 tackles AND 23 sacks in 9 year Bengal Career
11 INTs and 11 Forced Fumbles

LANDON JOHSON
[Image: PTDC0356_2011082549.gif]
Averaged 98.5 Tackles over 4 year Bengal Career
Started at all 3 LB position during his Bengal Career
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Pretty easy one here.

Williams and Simmons.
Reply/Quote
I thought Simmons was ILb and Spikes was OLB... Hard to find confirmation on the inter webs, but did find an article from the Enquirer profiling the two teammates and it confirms my personal recollection.

"Simmons is the middle linebacker. Spikes is an outside linebacker, usually playing to Simmons' right - his right-hand man."

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2002/preview/09062002_spikessimmons.html

Reggie is just too easy. In my opinion the best defender to have ever played for the Bengals, on and off the field.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2015, 11:04 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I thought Simmons was ILb and Spikes was OLB...

When Dick LeBeau was D coordinator here and Spikes and Simmons were drafted in '98, the Bengals ran a 34 defense with both of them in the middle. In the early '00s when Ricardo became HC, the Bengals switched to a 43 and Simmons was the MLB. When Super Marvio took over, Spikes left, Simmons moved outside a few dudes filled the middle like Kevin Hardy, Landon Johnson and Odell Thurman.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Dang, I'm the only vote for Francis.

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2015, 11:26 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: When Dick LeBeau was D coordinator here and Spikes and Simmons were drafted in '98, the Bengals ran a 34 defense with both of them in the middle. In the early '00s when Ricardo became HC, the Bengals switched to a 43 and Simmons was the MLB. When Super Marvio took over, Spikes left, Simmons moved outside a few dudes filled the middle like Kevin Hardy, Landon Johnson and Odell Thurman.

This is correct. Both Spikes and Simmons played inside and outside backer during their time in Cincy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Probably splitting hairs, but I did find a site listing the starting defenses each year. Simmons had 4 years at ILB/MLB and 3 at WLB. Spikes had 2 years at ILB and 3 years at OLB. Simmons was going to be a starter at MLB in 2000, but missed the season due to injury and Spearman started in his place.

Just going by total season, I still think Simmons should be considered for MLB and Spikes should be considered at OLB.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/lineups.htm
Reply/Quote
Reggie Williams and James Francis.
Reply/Quote
Those sacks for Williams, they're unofficial right? Since the NFL didn't start tracking them until, what 82?

Reply/Quote
Also, what no Keith Rivers love?

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 01:16 AM)orangeandblackblood Wrote: Dang, I'm the only vote for Francis.

No you're not.  I voted Williams and Francis.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 09:34 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: No you're not.  I voted Williams and Francis.

Make it another. I've pretty much always felt Francis was another one of the few bright spots we had on some pretty bad teams.
Reply/Quote
Brian Simmons played on some pretty bad teams too.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 09:43 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Make it another. I've pretty much always felt Francis was another one of the few bright spots we had on some pretty bad teams.

He was so talented, but lazy.

The guy should have been all pro, but was not really interested in being great and eschewed requests to work out with the team in Cincinnati in the off season saying he was an adult and did not need to be here to work out. 

Just a poor attitude.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 12:21 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Brian Simmons played on some pretty bad teams too.

That he did, but he was always a bright spot on those bad teams. I'm glad his scouting career has taken off.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2015, 11:04 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I thought Simmons was ILb and Spikes was OLB... Hard to find confirmation on the inter webs, but did find an article from the Enquirer profiling the two teammates and it confirms my personal recollection.

"Simmons is the middle linebacker. Spikes is an outside linebacker, usually playing to Simmons' right - his right-hand man."

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2002/preview/09062002_spikessimmons.html

Reggie is just too easy. In my opinion the best defender to have ever played for the Bengals, on and off the field.

Nope. Simmons was primarily an OLB and Spikes always played inside.
The only exception was when they briefly flirted with a 3-4 defense and both briefly played inside together.

That being said, it's a pretty easy choice. Reggie Williams and James Francis.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 04:32 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Probably splitting hairs, but I did find a site listing the starting defenses each year. Simmons had 4 years at ILB/MLB and 3 at WLB. Spikes had 2 years at ILB and 3 years at OLB. Simmons was going to be a starter at MLB in 2000, but missed the season due to injury and Spearman started I his place.

Just going by total season, I still think Simmons should be considered for MLB and Spikes should be considered at OLB.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/lineups.htm

Nah, they moved around out of necessity and injury and were forced to play out of position sometimes, but Simmons was best as a weak side LB and Spikes was best as an inside LB.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 04:29 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: That he did, but he was always a bright spot on those bad teams. I'm glad his scouting career has taken off.

Agreed. One of the best LB's to wear stripes and a class act to boot.

I've never heard anything bad said about Brian Simmons.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are so weak all time at OLB that Landon Johnson is an option here? A fan favorite, for sure, but definitely not the most skilled guy on the field.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 10:54 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: The Bengals are so weak all time at OLB that Landon Johnson is an option here? A fan favorite, for sure, but definitely not the most skilled guy on the field.

I met Landon Johnson in a Charlotte mall while he was playing for the Panthers. He looked shocked that I recognized him as a Bengal.
Reply/Quote