DALTON
5.48%
4 5.48%
Total 73 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Message Board All-Time Bengal Team (QB)
(06-01-2015, 09:58 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I have to point out a few things. To start with we had the lead with 40 seconds to go in that SB and Boomer didn't suck. The second point is that Boomer won some playoff games. Something no QB since can say. The third is that after Mikey B inherited the team, the team went straight down the toilet and that wasn't Boomer's doing and there's no QB in history that could have steered those to teams to the playoffs.

Mikey B took a proud franchise and turned it into the worst franchise in all of professional sports in a few short years. It was truly shocking how fast the team disintegrated.

And, since when did Palmer have a more talented team than the one the Bengals have had the last 4 years?

Boomer did suck in the Super Bowl. Our offense accounted for a grand total of 3 FGs the entire game and Boomer threw a key interception.

And Mike Brown was running the team in the 1980s when we went to those super bowls. The organization went downhill due to financial issues and being sued by the IRS as part of the mess following Pau Browns death - and Paul was just as responsible for that mess as Mike was.

And as far as talent, Dalton took over a 4 win team that people were predicting had a legit shot to go 0-16 in 2011. In fact, there was such an outrage by the fan base and people calling for boycotts the off-season prior to Dalton taking over.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 08:52 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I agree that he is completely vindicated for the way they treated him the first time. But my understanding about the second time was that Boomer chose to leave. Officially, he said it was because he wanted the MNF job to bring attention to his foundation. But I also heard an interview with him shortly after he left ragging on the FO for releasing players. There was one back-up TE he mentioned specifically, but he also said there were others.

I recall it a little different. The FO made an offer, but Boomer refused because he was offered the MNF job.

Quote:  Coslet says he has two main regrets: • Boomer Esiason, in his second tour with the Bengals, came off the bench and turned them into an offensive machine down the stretch in '97. But he retired after the season and took a job with "Monday Night Football". Coslet says he should have pushed harder for Esiason to return. He was 7-28 after Boomer quit. "It was the No. 1 thing that led to my downfall," Coslet said. "It was entirely my fault. I made a mistake when Boomer left of not being forceful enough in insisting that we keep him. Mike in his heart of hearts thought he was doing Boomer a favor letting him take the 'Monday Night' job because it was a career opportunity of a lifetime. I did not think that was in the best interests of the team. The best interests of the team was for him to be our quarterback. It's my fault I didn't fight the battle valiantly enough.

Esiason, let go by ABC after two seasons, said Friday that Brown encouraged him to take the television job and that a more significant contract offer from the Bengals could have kept him playing.

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/bruce-finally-loose-article-1.886526
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 12:27 AM)Joe Pong Wrote: Boomer did suck in the Super Bowl. Our offense accounted for a grand total of 3 FGs the entire game and Boomer threw a key interception.

And Mike Brown was running the team in the 1980s when we went to those super bowls. The organization went downhill due to financial issues and being sued by the IRS as part of the mess following Pau Browns death - and Paul was just as responsible for that mess as Mike was.

And as far as talent, Dalton took over a 4 win team that people were predicting had a legit shot to go 0-16 in 2011. In fact, there was such an outrage by the fan base and people calling for boycotts the off-season prior to Dalton taking over.

Dalton goes 9-7 as a rookie = best QB in franchise history

See, this is why other teams' fans laugh at us...they can talk about QBs with 1,2,3 or even 4 Super Bowl rings and we are stroking ourselves to going 9-7.  Ouch.  Call me when Andy Dalton is a minute away from beating Joe Montana in the Super Bowl.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 12:17 AM)Joe Pong Wrote: Ok, and Boomer did that in his 5th year in the NFL. Anderson did that after being in the NFL about a decade. And in his third season, Dalton broke all those single season records that Palmer set in his third season in 2005.

Which is exactly the reason why Andy should even be an option right now. He's only 4 years into his career right now. Like I said in another post, he could be starting on a different team in 2 years or we could be sitting here talking about Andy's amazing performances in back to back SB wins.

The fact is, he hasn't done either of those, and we don't know what his future holds. Boomer and Anderson are clearly the 2 options to choose from in this thread. The others are just troll picks. There's no possible way you can look at Andy's 4 year career and believe that it's more impressive than the others. Guys with only a few years in the league shouldn't be in these polls.

What Boomer and Anderson did in their X year doesn't mean that Andy Dalton is automatically going to have more impressive achievements at that point in his career as well. The logic some are willing to use to prop up their favorites is quite absurd. Realize that people aren't picking Anderson over Andy because they think Andy sucks, they're not picking Andy because it flat out makes NO sense at this point in his career to consider him the All-Time greatest Bengals QB.
Reply/Quote
I never do this but I'm going to post without voting. This is too hard for some of us in our 30's. The lasting image of Boomer's MVP and talking to the Disney people on the sideline during the SB is the best we've seen as fans. I'm too young to fully appreciate Kenny. From old games and clips I've seen, he had amazing touch and instincts. I get that feeling that a prime Ken on that 88 squad would have won a ring (and then some), but then I think of Boomer tucking it away and making a play we do as kids work in the NFL. I'll trust the old timers and back outta this one.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 02:45 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Dalton goes 9-7 as a rookie = best QB in franchise history

See, this is why other teams' fans laugh at us...they can talk about QBs with 1,2,3 or even 4 Super Bowl rings and we are stroking ourselves to going 9-7.  Ouch.  Call me when Andy Dalton is a minute away from beating Joe Montana in the Super Bowl.

So exactly how many teams can talk about these multiple Super Bowl rings?
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 11:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yes, but didn't Anderson, Esiason, and Palmer all have stints (some ever so brief) as top-tier QBs at some point in their careers?  Can we see if Dalton can crack the top half of his contemporaries before we declare him the best Bengals QB ever? 

Bengals TEAM peak passing ranking under each (I'm not triple-checking this info or anything, so meh)

1988 - #1 - Boomer Esiason - 97.4
1981 - #1 - Kenny Anderson - 98.4
2005 - #2 - Carson Palmer - 101.1 (only behind Peyton Manning)
2012 - #13 - Andy Dalton - 87.4

Look, I'm not saying this is a perfect metric by any means, but the idea of saying the only QB on this list who didn't reach the top or #2 spot among his peers is the BEST one the Bengals ever had is just...wacky.  Best Bengals QB ever?  Oh yea, definitely that one who had between 12 and 19 QBs in the league better than him at any given time...yup! Ninja

why throw 2012 in there and not 2013? where he was 3rd in the league in Tds?

Those other guys had great season here or there but also werent very consistant and never lead the bengals to what seems to be the only measuring stick for success a SB victory. All 4 have zero rings only 2 still have a chance to win 1 and only 1 in stripes.

Second no one is saying hes the best of all time just based on what others has done has the potential to earn that title.. And you cant compare careers for best of all time when looking at 3 that have finished in stripes and one that has only played 4 years...
Reply/Quote
It appears my greatest fear has come true.

This has turned into an Andy Dalton thread.

Please take it elsewhere, you can probably find a thread or 2 dedicated to him.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 05:04 PM)OSUfan Wrote: So exactly how many teams can talk about these multiple Super Bowl rings?

49ers
Steelers
Patriots
Cowboys
Broncos
Cowboys (again)
Dolphins
Steelers (again)
Giants
Packers
Raiders

11 QBs with multiple rings who played for 9 different teams...but hey, we went 9-7 when people thought we were going to be the worst team in the league, so yay on us!

(06-02-2015, 05:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Second no one is saying hes the best of all time just based on what others has done has the potential to earn that title..   And you cant compare careers for best of all time when looking at 3 that have finished in stripes and one that has only played 4 years...

And Jimmy Gorropalololopopo has the potential to win 5 Super Bowls to Brady's 4, so I guess we can't call Tom Terrific the best Patriots QB until the team no longer exists, right?

Look, if you think it's impossible to compare Dalton to Kenny/Boomer/Palmer then I would agree with you in a sense, however this is a thread that asks which of the 4 is the all-time Bengals QB so you shouldn't have voted if you think it's so impossible. 

Did you vote?  I assume you did.  

Did you vote for Dalton?  I assume you did.  

So now we are debating our respective votes (I voted for Boomer, but I admit my 80s bias because Kenny is probably a bit better of a choice).  So what?

(06-02-2015, 05:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It appears my greatest fear has come true. This has turned into an Andy Dalton thread. Please take it elsewhere, you can probably find a thread or 2 dedicated to him.

Aren't you the one who created the poll?  You put Dalton on there, right?  Did you just expect people to not pick him?
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 07:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Aren't you the one who created the poll?  You put Dalton on there, right?  Did you just expect people to not pick him?

I am and I did so because I thought that not including him would have caused a bigger issue and he is most likely one of the top 4 QBs in the history of the league. I didn't think anyone would actually consider him above a guy who many around the NFL feels belongs in the HOF or another who won NFL MVP.

Just goes to show: takes all types. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote