DALTON
5.48%
4 5.48%
Total 73 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Message Board All-Time Bengal Team (QB)
(05-30-2015, 10:33 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Love Kenny, but had to Boomer. The greatest play action QB I've ever seen, master of the no huddle, and had incredible fire and passion for the game.

I had to go Kenny and I really do not see it as close. You have to remember that play action is usually an easier deception for a left handed QB.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2015, 08:04 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I had to go Kenny and I really do not see it as close. You have to remember that play action is usually an easier deception for a left handed QB.

So this advantage shouldn't be counted because Boomer was a lefty? 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I think Carson was probably the most talented qb we ever had, although Kenny was hugely accurate, and Boomer was the best at play action. Kenny's freezer bowl win was about as clutch as you can get. He gets my vote.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Norman, Kenny, Carson, Andy
Reply/Quote
For Dalton you should add that he's one of only two QBs to ever go 0-4 in the playoffs. That's a feat worth mentioning. I'd have put Jeff Blake on the list over Dalton. Blake was more clutch with much less talented teams. Not that Dalton is getting any votes though.

Reply/Quote
If I could be Dr. Bengalstein this would be the ultimate Bengals QB.
The class of #14 (Kenny Anderson...the only Bengal QB to wear this number who could be considered great)
The Leadership of #7
The talent of (& Balls to tell his boss to take his job and shove it) #9
nothing from the current #14 (who should not be permitted to wear Kenny's number)
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2015, 08:04 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I had to go Kenny and I really do not see it as close. You have to remember that play action is usually an easier deception for a left handed QB.

Never heard that. Why would it be easier for a left handed QB?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Loved the Boomer era! Was an awesome time to be a Bengal fan. Boomer is probably my favorite Bengal's QB. Wts, Kenny's wheels give him the edge imo.
Reply/Quote
Boomer...master of the play action.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 11:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Boomer owns my favorite play ever seen life by a Bengal. It was an away game against Denver (1986?), Boomer tucked the ball to run, and Denver defender (Dennis Smith?) came up to lat a lick on Boomer. Boomer dropped the shoulder and trucked him.

WTS, I had to go Anderson. Many do not realize how good of a running QB he was. It's an absolute shame he is not in the HOF.

Here's a video for some that may have not seen him play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHzIPmz-N40
Boomer owns one of my favorite plays as well.

It was when he came in back in 1997. Blake started the first 11 games and we were like 3 and 8. He got hurt and Boomer took over (I believe it was the Dallas game). Ob his first play, Boomer handed off to Corey Dillon (Dillon's rookie season) on a sweep and then Boomer moved with Corey to the edge and made a lead block on a defensive back, leveling the guy. Corey had like a 20+ yard run on a third down play and I was like "Awesome!!!". The team won four of their next five including that game.

But, alas, Boomer didn't re-sign with the team after that. Some bad blood with the franchise. I can't blame him too much after the way he was let go originally.

All that said, I had to vote for Kenny. This was a tough call between Boomer, Kenny and Palmer. And Dalton could be in the mix eventually, if he wins in the post-season, IMO.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 09:31 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: All that said, I had to vote for Kenny. This was a tough call between Boomer, Kenny and Palmer. And Dalton could be in the mix eventually, if he wins in the post-season, IMO.

I voted Anderson, but I do agree with your last sentence. The part that's really tough with these polls is that it's hard to vote for many current guys as we aren't certain where their careers are heading.

Andy could be starting in Buffalo in 2 years. Or we could all be sitting here talking about Andy's insane run where he had 100+ passer rating with a great TD/INT ratio that took us to 2 straight Super Bowls. Obviously either of those events would drastically change most people's opinion of the guy.

That goes for any position too, the guys on the current roster are tough to judge unless they're at the end of their careers. I do believe we have some guys now that will rightfully be in these conversations when they retire though.
Reply/Quote
All good points for Anderson and Esiason. Both great QB's who have earned respect around the league and I will be ok with either being the "winner" in this poll.

That said, I have to give the edge to Anderson. He played during the dead-ball era of football and put up good numbers that would be solid even today. He led the league in passer rating 4 times. His rating in playoff games was solid as well. He didn't have the offensive weapons that Esiason had either. He had to go up against the Steel Curtain twice a year for over a decade and put up solid numbers against them.

I love Esiason. I wish he was the QB now for the Bengals because he wouldn't melt in playoff games or prime time games. But I am going to have to give the slightest of edges to Ken Anderson.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 10:07 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I voted Anderson, but I do agree with your last sentence. The part that's really tough with these polls is that it's hard to vote for many current guys as we aren't certain where their careers are heading.

Andy could be starting in Buffalo in 2 years. Or we could all be sitting here talking about Andy's insane run where he had 100+ passer rating with a great TD/INT ratio that took us to 2 straight Super Bowls. Obviously either of those events would drastically change most people's opinion of the guy.

That goes for any position too, the guys on the current roster are tough to judge unless they're at the end of their careers. I do believe we have some guys now that will rightfully be in these conversations when they retire though.

What ultimately turns me off about Boomer and Palmer was the way they left the franchise. I'm of the opinion that Boomer could have turned the franchise around in 1998 and brought us to the playoffs. Apparently he got into a snit with the FO about personal they were releasing (as I recall, there was something about a back-up TE Boomer was fond of).

Kenny never did this, to my recollection. That, combined with the fact that he was a darn good QB... possibly the most underrated of all time.

As for Dalton, he has to take the next step. When and if...
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Kenny Anderson lead the NFL in passer rating 4 times. Steve Young is the only QB to do it more times than Anderson.

Anderson held the single season completion percentage record (.706) for 29 years until Drew Brees broke it on 2011.

There are 32 QBs in NFL history with over 2000 rushing yards. Among that group Anderson's 5.6 average per carry ranks 8th ahead of other famous running QBs like Staubach, Newton, Tarkenton, McNair, and Elway.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 11:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Kenny Anderson lead the NFL in passer rating 4 times.  Steve Young is the only QB to do it more times than Anderson.

Anderson held the single season completion percentage record (.706) for 29 years until Drew Brees broke it on 2011.

There are 32 QBs in NFL history with over 2000 rushing yards.  Among that group Anderson's 5.6 average per carry ranks 8th ahead of other famous running QBs like Staubach, Newton, Tarkenton, McNair, and Elway.

I voted Boomer but after thinking about it for a while, i don't know that i would do the same again. Anderson had plenty of arm to get the ball anywhere on the field he needed to, the touch, smarts and he was a great runner and leader.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 10:33 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Love Kenny, but had to Boomer. The greatest play action QB I've ever seen, master of the no huddle, and had incredible fire and passion for the game.

This....and I honestly would have probably went Kenny if I had seen more of his work.  I was just beginning to understand the game when he was entering the twilight of his career.  My memories of Boomer are much more vivid.

That being considered, there has to be something said about the way Boomer mastered the complex no huddle scheme devised by Wyche and Coslet.  Sam said Boomer had "a beautiful mind".....and of course the fire.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 10:39 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: What ultimately turns me off about Boomer and Palmer was the way they left the franchise. I'm of the opinion that Boomer could have turned the franchise around in 1998 and brought us to the playoffs. Apparently he got into a snit with the FO about personal they were releasing (as I recall, there was something about a back-up TE Boomer was fond of).

Kenny never did this, to my recollection. That, combined with the fact that he was a darn good QB... possibly the most underrated of all time.

As for Dalton, he has to take the next step. When and if...

In all fairness Kenny is the only one on the list that never had to deal with Mike Brown, either.  I sort of feel like Boomer was the one who had to deal with Mikey TWICE at the peak of his tyrannical incompetence...just sayin'.
Reply/Quote
I know ill be alone here..

but i Voted DALTON!!!!

Because of the QBs on the list hes the only one that has a chance the lead us to a SB victory. (the others have come and gone.)

and by time all is said and done He could very well top the list for everyone. But to compare him 3 guys who already completed their Career in Stripes (including palmer cause hes not comnig back) to a guy that still here (so we dont know his total contribution) is a little off...

But the rest of them wont help us now... So Dalton has my Vote. as hes the only one of the list that could possibly get it done.
Reply/Quote
At least the only person picking the troll option tried to rationalize it.

Kudos for that.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 12:42 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I know ill be alone here..

but i Voted DALTON!!!!

Because of the QBs on the list hes the only one that has a chance the lead us to a SB victory.  (the others have come and gone.)

and by time all is said and done He could very well top the list for everyone.  But to compare him  3 guys who already completed their Career in Stripes (including palmer cause hes not comnig back) to a guy that still here (so we dont know his total contribution) is a little off...

But the rest of them wont help us now... So Dalton has my Vote. as hes the only one of the list that could possibly get it done.

Ha, by that metric Terrel Pryor and AJ McCarron are also about Palmer/Boomer/Kenny.  Those two guys could theoretically come in and/or win the starting job and/or take over after Dalton leaves and win the Super Bowl for the Bengals. And heck, even If Dalton wins a Super Bowl here there is no assurance that the next QB won't win two!
Reply/Quote