CARLOS DUNLAP
20.00%
14 20.00%
Total 70 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Message Board All-Time Team (DE)
Felt I needed to share a story before this one as many folks (I would have been one of them) will ask “What about Coy Bacon?” While absolutely dynamic while he was here; it was only for 2 years and he demanded a trade. He was unhappy that the team was going to a 3-4 base.

Now the part that will make you a little upset to your stomach: Due to Coy’s unhappiness, as well as that of one of our DBs, prior to the 1978 season we traded Coy Bacon and Lamar Parrish to the Redskins for a draft choice that turned out to be Charles Alexander. Alexander never led the team in rushing and retired with 3.5 YPC average.

WTS: I’m a man of the people. I will include Coy as a voting option, but no write up.

All-Time DE (vote 2)

EDDIE EDWARDS
 [Image: th?id=JN.QoamXZXqnXU8QTXAK4QvPg&pid=15.1...&W=160&P=0]
1 time All Pro
Career sack leader with 47.5 Official (83.5 unofficial)

ROSS BROWNER
[Image: th?id=JN.YgB7Olez5QCH51DlMkW45g&pid=15.1...&W=160&P=0]
Named to 1978 NFL All-Rookie Team
Super Bowl record for most tackles by a Dlineman

JOHN COPELAND
[Image: th?id=JN.z5n72C6rvR32J9WMAP8tNg&pid=15.1...&W=160&P=0] 
102 starts in 8 year Bengal Career
24 sacks/ 324 tackles/ 9 Forced Fumbles

REINARD WILSON
[Image: th?id=JN.9DiAGeRZRytdoFUhxk1hUQ&pid=15.1...&W=160&P=0] 
Appeared in 93 games during 6 year Career
24 sacks/ 173 tackles/ 7 Forced Fumbles

JUSTIN SMITH
[Image: th?id=JN.src%2b9aZotYzmLKVNfEcj2A&pid=15...&W=160&P=0]
107 starts in 7 year Bengal career
43.5 sacks/ 466 tackles/ 7 Forced Fumbles

CARLOS DUNLAP
[Image: th?id=JN.5f6zXDxyQVhy7mKDmEJmBQ&pid=15.1...&W=160&P=0]
Franchise record most sacks by a rookie (9.5)
35.5 sacks in 5 year career
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wow, slim pickings.....I was stoked to get Reinard Wilson, being a huge FSU fan. While solid, he never lived up to the hype I had in my mind.

So, going off of who would make us the best team, I gotta go Bacon and Dunlap, and I like Justin Smith too....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Voted Justin Smith and Eddie Edwards. Despite being #1 and #2 in franchise history in sacks, they're both underrated by the fan base.

Justin always had a lot of tackles for a DE too. He was always around the ball.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I went with Bacon and Smith.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Can I vote for Antwan Odom based upon that one game in Green Bay? I mean, that may seem like a pretty small sample-size BUT isn't that the only time the Bengals ever went into Lambeau and won?
Reply/Quote
Edwards and Smith.

Can't vote for Bacon. Was great while here, but was only here for a short time.
Reply/Quote
Voted Justin Smith and Eddie Edwards. Like Wyche said, it's slim pickings.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I can't pick Bacon. Just like if Greg Cook was up I couldn't pick him. Or even Odell Thurman or David Pollak. Short, great careers here. But that's just it, they were short. Can't be a great just by playing 2-3 seasons.
Reply/Quote
Have to go with Eddie Edwards - franchise all-time sack leader and member of two Super Bowl teams. Justin Smith was my other choice- but hoping guys like Dunlap and MJ will surpass him soon. Ross Browner was the only other player worth considering as he and Edwards made a good combo like Dunlap and MJ.

Actually think MJ belongs on this list before someone ole Reinard Wilson.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2015, 11:08 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: Have to go with Eddie Edwards - franchise all-time sack leader and member of two Super Bowl teams. Justin Smith was my other choice- but hoping guys like Dunlap and MJ will surpass him soon. Ross Browner was the only other player worth considering as he and Edwards made a good combo like Dunlap and MJ.

Actually think MJ belongs on this list before someone ole Reinard Wilson.
Good point on MJ.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Edwards and Dunlap.

Can't vote for Smith, as well as he played here. I think he's mis-cast as a DE, even though that's what he played here.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I went with Ross Browner and Carlos Dunlap. 

Why?  Most tackles by a DL in a Super Bowl, and a guy that, in my mind, will end up being an all time great.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Justin Smith and Eddie Edwards.

But I voted for Copeland just because I think he is very underrated.

I'd also point out that Dan Wilkinson played DE in our 3-4 for a couple of years.
Reply/Quote
Justin Smith and Dunlap hands down. This shouldn't have even been a poll.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2015, 11:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I went with Ross Browner and Carlos Dunlap. 

Why?  Most tackles by a DL in a Super Bowl, and a guy that, in my mind, will end up being an all time great.

Those were my two, as well.

Browner was my favorite player on that Dline. I followed him when he was at Notre Dame and was stoked that we drafted him.

Dunlap has also developed into quite a player, especially when Geno plays at top form.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I went with Coy Bacon and Carlos. I know Justin has the better stats, i just think that Dunlap
will pass him up and is the better, more disruptive pass rusher and he can stop the run.

Dunlap doesn't get as many sacks as he should but he disrupts plays regularly.

With MJ back and Geno back, he could get lots of sacks if Carlos just learns how to finish off
the QB once he gets there. He could of had 15+ sacks last year if he just finished the tackle.
Reply/Quote
I went Edwards and Browner. If Bacon had been a Bengal for 4/5 years, I would have picked him over Browner. Man, Eddie was one helluva player. Pressured the QB, got sacks, decent against the run...just very active and disruptive.

I understand those picking Carlos, and I was tempted, but Ross had a stretch of 8 straight solid, productive seasons for us, so I gave him the vote.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2015, 04:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Can I vote for Antwan Odom based upon that one game in Green Bay? I mean, that may seem like a pretty small sample-size BUT isn't that the only time the Bengals ever went into Lambeau and won?

Based on 1 game vs their 3rd string OT?
Reply/Quote
Edwards and Smith.  Smith was better in the 3-4 but was always a heck of a player.  Edwards was a stud.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 01:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Justin Smith and Eddie Edwards.

But I voted for Copeland just because I think he is very underrated.

I'd also point out that Dan Wilkinson played DE in our 3-4 for a couple of years.

Wilkinson played right DE in a 4-3 as well, early on with the bengals. They wanted to take advantage of his athleticism on the edge and we didn't really have any other pass rushers.
Also really liked Copeland. He was a very solid player and would have been ranked higher if he didn't rupture his achilles or whatever that injury was.

There was some talent on those defenses with Copeland, Big Daddy, James Francis, Alfred Williams, Daryl Williams, Steve Tovar, etc
Reply/Quote