Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Met Gio Bernard Tonight
My friend lives at The Current at The Banks in downtown Cincinnati and his wedding was today.

I roll on the elevator with my friend, this guy pushing the hold button so we could get on, asks us what floor we're going to, whatever.

Elevator starts to move and I take another look at him and verbally say "you're Gio Bernard," to which he says yes and whatever, and he doesn't seem bothered or anything.

I start typing to him after he confirmed that he was Gio because it would have been hard for him to understand because most things are hard for me to say.

I start telling him how much I love the team, how die-hard I am, whatever else, to which he's polite.

So we get to our floor and I roll off, but I hear him and his girl starting talking about how cool it was that I communicated with a little talking computer and said a few really nice things.

I told him good luck against the Ravens, but he was a super-nice guy, down to earth, and seemed interested in me and just didn't blow me off like he's some big shot and like I'm not worth the time of day because of my crippledness (not that there's anything too interesting about me, but the way I communicate and how open I am usually interests people who aren't assholes that think they're above me).

I hope to see him more up there, but just felt right to point out that Gio's a down-to-earth, great guy!

(I didn't ask for his autograph because I didn't want to be "that guy," and I was content with just talking/typing to him, but I immediately wished I had gotten a selfie with him!)
Reply/Quote
Awesome story. I have met quite a few in my day and declined to ask them for autographs, just out of respect and being polite. I think the last one that caught me off guard was Andrew Hawkins. I was holding his jersey in the store and his wife and him walked up to me and smiled. I did a double take and was completely caught off guard. It was amazing. But wow, was he short. I mean, I'm 6'4, so admittedly, everyone is short, but he was SUPER short.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
He came across as a genuine good guy on Hard Knocks.
Reply/Quote
That's awesome.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 06:47 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Awesome story. I have met quite a few in my day and declined to ask them for autographs, just out of respect and being polite. I think the last one that caught me off guard was Andrew Hawkins. I was holding his jersey in the store and his wife and him walked up to me and smiled. I did a double take and was completely caught off guard. It was amazing. But wow, was he short. I mean, I'm 6'4, so admittedly, everyone is short, but he was SUPER short.

Insulting to short people out there! I'm glad I'm not 6'4" or tall, so I have an excuse for not being in the NBA or NFL. :)
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Question....Didn't the Bengals arrive in Baltimore early Saturday afternoon?

https://mobile.twitter.com/FOX19Joe/status/647891432980783105
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 11:41 AM)Synric Wrote: Question....Didn't the Bengals arrive in Baltimore early Saturday afternoon?

First comment; "what did you record that with, a potato?" lol

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Sooooo... don't expect much from Gio this game? hahah

Cool story though :)

You didn't tease him about his moms mini van so I'll give you props.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 05:48 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: My friend lives at The Current at The Banks in downtown Cincinnati and his wedding was today.

I roll on the elevator with my friend, this guy pushing the hold button so we could get on, asks us what floor we're going to, whatever.

Elevator starts to move and I take another look at him and verbally say "you're Gio Bernard," to which he says yes and whatever, and he doesn't seem bothered or anything.

I start typing to him after he confirmed that he was Gio because it would have been hard for him to understand because most things are hard for me to say.  

I start telling him how much I love the team, how die-hard I am, whatever else, to which he's polite.

So we get to our floor and I roll off, but I hear him and his girl starting talking about how cool it was that I communicated with a little talking computer and said a few really nice things.

I told him good luck against the Ravens, but he was a super-nice guy, down to earth, and seemed interested in me and just didn't blow me off like he's some big shot and like I'm not worth the time of day because of my crippledness (not that there's anything too interesting about me, but the way I communicate and how open I am usually interests people who aren't assholes that think they're above me).

I hope to see him more up there, but just felt right to point out that Gio's a down-to-earth, great guy!

(I didn't ask for his autograph because I didn't want to be "that guy," and I was content with just talking/typing to him, but I immediately wished I had gotten a selfie with him!)

Very cool!  I love Gio's story of the humble beginnings and all the coaches at NC raved about his character.  So nice to see him having so much success at the NFL level. 
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 11:41 AM)Synric Wrote: Question....Didn't the Bengals arrive in Baltimore early Saturday afternoon?

Exactly what I was thinking. But it's a quick flight, I suppose.
Reply/Quote
uhhh. Why was he here on Sat? I thought they left already. Guess it is only a few hours away. But still.
Reply/Quote
Man, it seems like your going to meet all of the Bengals players by the end of the year!
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 12:59 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Man, it seems like your going to meet all of the Bengals players by the end of the year!

How many does this make?  2 or 3 at least.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm going to ask the question that everyone is thinking. Did you get him to sign your protective cup? It'd be cool to get a half dozen sigs on it, or if you're more well endowed than me, maybe a whole dozen. Shit, if you're stacked like Ginger Jesus, you might be able to get the entire team and coaching staff on there.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote