Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Miami Desperate For Burrow
(02-06-2020, 10:27 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup 

Burrow, checks all the boxes, looks for everyone who really watches to be the real deal and you just can't say enough good about him. But even him having 3.3 seconds to throw compared to 2.6 is a gigantic difference !

It is....and for the sake of filled bleachers, the Bengals BETTER draft the guy. I'm a bit skeptical of the one year wonder type stuff, but it's not like the guy was terrible last year. LSU just ran a different style of offense in 2018. The kid checks a lot of boxes, and I'm anxious to see if it all translates to the next level. One thing's for sure, he certainly doesn't lack confidence. He's also reportedly an avid film guy. He should do well. We need to protect the investment though.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 12:30 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: the browns had the players to head to the playoff talent wise then hired Kitchens instead of hiring their interim coach that got them their wins last season.

I don't have any confidence with our current coaches. Marvin and his coaching staff were mostly average to above average. His last season he was below average coaching staff wise.

Burrow will get us there, but our coaches will keep us mediocre.

They clearly did NOT.

Coaching was the major issue in Cleveland (hence the sacking of the parties involved), but a team with that many stars AT SKILL POSITIONS (their dline was overrated and the oline sucks hard, not to mention the gaping holes at LB, TE and S), should do a lot better than they did.

This is 100% akin to our 2010 team (though in reality, we had a much better oline); stars at skill positions on paper, but not enough talent in the spots that matter.

Funny how the smart people in the Browns org. trade away pieces that became holes (Peppers at S, who still isn't that great but better than what they had last year and Zeitler at RG), for an overrated WR with attitude problems (and had the worst year of his career) and a dlineman who also had the worst year of his career.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 10:31 AM)Wyche Wrote: It is....and for the sake of filled bleachers, the Bengals BETTER draft the guy. I'm a bit skeptical of the one year wonder type stuff, but it's not like the guy was terrible last year. LSU just ran a different style of offense in 2018. The kid checks a lot of boxes, and I'm anxious to see if it all translates to the next level. One thing's for sure, he certainly doesn't lack confidence. He's also reportedly an avid film guy. He should do well. We need to protect the investment though.

Well just think about it. If Burrow comes as advertised, and I'm quite sure he will, we will have an emerging elite QB, a still young running back that Belicheat called the "best in the NFL", and we have a 1st rd. left tackle coming onto the field. If we pick up a good linebacker and a couple of receivers, along with some better guards, this is a team that can make some noise. Fans will return to PBS
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 10:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Well just think about it. If Burrow comes as advertised, and I'm quite sure he will, we will have an emerging elite QB, a still young running back that Belicheat called the "best in the NFL", and we have a 1st rd. left tackle coming onto the field. If we pick up a good linebacker and a couple of receivers, along with some better guards, this is a team that can make some noise. Fans will return to PBS

You're not wrong. This team is not as bad as it showed last year, IMO. It still has several holes, but I don't think it's 2-14 bad. There were a lot of injuries, but the coaching staff is a question mark. 

Reply/Quote
I wonder if Dolphns behind the scenes are trying to sabotage our relationship with Burrow
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 09:53 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: You make a great point. Let us not forget the last GREAT LSU QB, JaMarcus Russell. I think Burrow is going to be a good NFL QB, but you just never can tell.

The most TD’s Russell ever threw for in college was 28, and his highest rating was 167

Burrow just threw 60, and had a 202 rating lol

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 10:05 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Exactly, it's like some people think QB is the only position on the field. The 9ers made some power plays to improve, and hit on some draft picks. Jimmy compliments the moves they made. 

Literally no one thinks that. Many just realize it’s the most important.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 12:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The most TD’s Russell ever threw for in college was 28, and his highest rating was 167

Burrow just threw 60, and had a 202 rating lol
Jemarcus was never accurate. Just like Ben Simmons will never be able to shoot. Teams think they can teach accuracy and shooting. some things you just cant do elite
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 10:27 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup 

Burrow, checks all the boxes, looks for everyone who really watches to be the real deal and you just can't say enough good about him. But even him having 3.3 seconds to throw compared to 2.6 is a gigantic difference !

I think that there was once a thread or two posted on how half a second can make a world of difference in the NFL.  Combine that with a guy who's comfortable extending the play by moving around the pocket, or drawing coverage off of the receiver to potentially defend the run?  It could very well be an exciting team to watch, once again.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 12:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Literally no one thinks that. Many just realize it’s the most important.

Probably no one here Nico.....but you should read some shit on Cincy Jungle and the mothership's Facebook feed! LOL

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 10:47 AM)Wyche Wrote: You're not wrong. This team is not as bad as it showed last year, IMO. It still has several holes, but I don't think it's 2-14 bad. There were a lot of injuries, but the coaching staff is a question mark. 

Joe Burrow should be the future- not AJ, Mixon or anyone else

Management needs to do something to show they intend to put Burrow in the best possible situation.

The first thing they should have done is hire someone like McCarthy who has a proven track record and might have come to Cincy because of Burrow.

Having blown that opportunity, they cannot put Burrow in the best possible position simply by the draft or signing third tier free agents.

I have bleed orange and black since 1967 but I would not want my son to go to Bengals to be coached by Taylor and the kid they promoted to QB coach and  if its the same old offseason formula they have applied for years.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 07:50 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Reports are coming in that Miami is willing to trade all 3 first round draft picks for Burrow. The Bengals need to highly consider it. They could pick another QB, lineman, and receiver. ESPN used the Hershel Walker deal as an example that made the Cowboys great because they got lots of good players in return. Remember, Burrow has not proven himself in the NFL yet. I would not be opposed to taking Tua instead. We know one thing. Mike Brown will screw it up somehow.

Any news on those "reports", or was this just something a commentator was speculation on, in order to generate conversation?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 08:14 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on this. I'm taking the picks if offered. If not, I'm drafting the kid and praying for new ownership.

Yeah, we will have to agree to disagree on trading Burrow.

If we want more picks I take Burrow and do what JJ22 says here.

(02-05-2020, 10:11 PM)jj22 Wrote: The issue is everyone wants more picks.

And who can blame them? We need more picks. We won't do much in free agency with Billings and Dennard likely being treated as key free agent signing, so the draft is going to have to be the fix. And that's hard to do with just 7.

Not drafting Burrow isn't the option though.

The fix is commit to turning the roster over and really work to trade players like Dalton, tag and trade Green, trade Glenn, Kirpatrick and Gio. Get as many picks as you can, and get the QB. This draft is deep at WR, CB, RB and some good OT's in the first couple rounds. With a couple extra picks and a sacrifice to the roster here or there for the greater good of the long run would be the ideal way to go.

Until or if that happens, fantasize all you want about grabbing all these favorite prospects in the first 3 rounds. As of now it's 3 picks and hopefully they make the best of them. Trading Burrow is off the table. Even if it takes a couple years to "rebuild" instead of one.

It is interesting that during draft season you always wish for all these picks and that blockbuster trade to a desperate team in need of a QB. One that will give you multiple picks in future years. Here we are at that moment and you can justify passing.

Now this is more like it if we want more picks....

This also opens up a lot of cap for signing all our picks and some FA's after the Draft.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 02:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, we will have to agree to disagree on trading Burrow.

If we want more picks I take Burrow and do what JJ22 says here.

Now this is more like it if we want more picks....

This also opens up a lot of cap for signing all our picks and some FA's after the Draft.

The team will be handcuffed and could be screwed if they hold on to AJ and Dalton and then can't deal them The 35+ million that it would take isn't worth waiting and seeing what some team will give you after the draft and settling for scrub FAs. Its wishful thinking to think someone will give up a draft pick and pay a 18+ mil salary for a 32 old injury prone WR who has missed 24 straight games.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 03:41 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The team will be handcuffed and could be screwed if they hold on to AJ and Dalton and then can't deal them The 35+ million that it would take isn't worth waiting and seeing what some team will give you after the draft and settling for scrub FAs. Its wishful thinking to think someone will give up a draft pick and pay a 18+ mil salary for a 32 old injury prone WR who has missed 24 straight games.

Yes, have to trade Dalton away, have to, someone will give something for him. No way I give AJ the tag, if we bring AJ back it 
has to be on an incentive basis. Ideally this, trading Glenn and getting a top OL and LB in FA is the way I think we should go.

Then Draft Burrow and build the team around him to the best of our ability.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 03:41 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The team will be handcuffed and could be screwed if they hold on to AJ and Dalton and then can't deal them The 35+ million that it would take isn't worth waiting and seeing what some team will give you after the draft and settling for scrub FAs. Its wishful thinking to think someone will give up a draft pick and pay a 18+ mil salary for a 32 old injury prone WR who has missed 24 straight games.

I maintain if Sanu can fetch a 2nd round pick....

The Browns. With all their failures, could turn this roster over with trades that the Bengals are either unsavvy or unlikely or unwilling to make.

We just end up cutting players. For a team that rely's on the draft (which isn't a bad Model) they don't do what they can to get as many picks as possible.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 04:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, have to trade Dalton away, have to, someone will give something for him. No way I give AJ the tag, if we bring AJ back it 
has to be on an incentive basis. Ideally this, trading Glenn and getting a top OL and LB in FA is the way I think we should go.

Then Draft Burrow and build the team around him to the best of our ability.

There are an unprecedented number of QBs set to hit the FA market this year, though.  It wouldn't surprise me if some combination of Mike Brown over-valuing Dalton ala the McCarron non-trade or other teams just calling Mike Brown's bluff on his willingness to pay Dalton $17 million to sit the bench just leads to an outright release.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 01:52 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: What makes everyone so certain this guy is a sure thing??

I just don't get that at all. He was viewed as a 4th round prospect, had an great season that resulted in the coach that came in and changed things up there getting hired as an NFL O-coordinator.

I've seen people mention him like he is Luck or Manning, and he is not.

Manning was a 4 year starter for Tenn who was a first round draft prospect as a Freshman.

Luck, Red shirted his freshman year, then 3 year starter for Stanford, also never looked at as less then a 1st round prospect.

I get it, he had an amazing season, but there is a lot of one year wonders in the world that are exactly that, one year. The system and player match up and things go perfect. Can that continue? Especially when you remove the system.

Nothing in the draft is a for sure thing, but Burrow is the closest thing to it.

Did you watch the NCAA championship? I was more of a skeptic than a believer before I witnessed that game. Burrow put the team on his back on the biggest stage against the best defense, much like Mahommes in the Superbowl, and dominated when it counts, the 3rd and 4th quarter.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 12:55 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Joe Burrow should be the future- not AJ, Mixon or anyone else

Management needs to do something to show they intend to put Burrow in the best possible situation.

The first thing they should have done is hire someone like McCarthy who has a proven track record and might have come to Cincy because of Burrow.

Having blown that opportunity, they cannot put Burrow in the best possible position simply by the draft or signing third tier free agents.

I have bleed orange and black since 1967 but I would not want my son to go to Bengals to be coached by Taylor and the kid they promoted to QB coach and  if its the same old offseason formula they have applied for years.

Except you WOULD want your son to play for the Bengals since it's your favorite team. Cmon man. Not a true fan!  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 11:19 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Nothing in the draft is a for sure thing, but Burrow is the closest thing to it.

Did you watch the NCAA championship? I was more of a skeptic than a believer before I witnessed that game. Burrow put the team on his back on the biggest stage against the best defense, much like Mahommes in the Superbowl, and dominated when it counts, the 3rd and 4th quarter.

Hell, Burrow was far more impressive in the NCG than Mahomes was in the SB tbh. Mahomes sucked for 3 1/2 quarters.

Other than the first couple drives where LSU was backed up behind the 10, Burrow was absolutely money the majority of the game.

Reply/Quote