Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Lombardi's Take on Zac Taylor (Homers Beware)
(02-18-2019, 01:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I see a lot of people digging themselves into one side or the other. Not sure why that's such a big thing these days. I liked the Taylor hire and still do. That said, I'm still able to be objective about things. Even though I like Taylor, I realize that his resume is skimpy at best, and pretty ugly outside of LA. Nepotism fast tracked him to the NFL. This doesn't mean he can't be a great HC - he very well could be - but as Nate said, these are red flags.

The DC search is a mess. Taylor should've had a short list coming in, so we should've had our guy quickly. Brian Flores (hired at the same time) finished his staff 10 days ago.

Can Taylor still be a success? Of course! Can we still find a solid DC? Yep. But I fully understand the grumblings right now. We have a very young, very green HC and his first impression is we're struggling to fill a very important coaching spot. It is what it is. The seasons not over and Taylor's not a failure, but if he does fail, this can and will be something we look back at.

I understand the grumblings too.....but can we at least stick to FACTS?  That's my gripe.  Lombardi doesn't even know the timeline!

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 10:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: I understand the grumblings too.....but can we at least stick to FACTS?  That's my gripe.  Lombardi doesn't even know the timeline!

I think some of what Lombardi said is accurate. If you look at every stop of Taylor outside of the Rams...they've been mediocre.

So then the question becomes, did he learn from those stops and become a great coach with the Rams that contributed to the Rams success? Or did he just ride the coat tails of those who did.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This was posted in another thread:

Cincinnati Bengals: Zac Taylor

In 2015, Taylor was the offensive coordinator of the 6-10 Miami Dolphins. That year, the Dolphins scored 20 or fewer points 12 times and were just 63-for-205 on third down (30.7 percent). You might believe that Dolphins team was not talented, but with the likes of running backs Lamar Miller and Jay Ajayi, as well as receivers Jarvis Landry and Kenny Stills, the Fins scored just 310 points all year, averaged 19.4 for the season.

Head coach fired after four games. Ajayi on IR for eight games. Cameron Wake IR. The tight end coach becomes the HC. The Dolphins were  a total dumpster fire. What else you got Debby Downer???
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 02:45 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Tuberville got into a pissing match with his starting QB (Kiel) who threw for 3500 yds in 2015 and went with a Soph and a redshirt freshman. Wonder why the offense failed? Do some research!!!!!!

No.  It's easier just to ***** first.  It's the world wide web and it was created to give self proclaimed experts a place to voice their complaints about everything other people do and then later, to post mundane bullshit on FB and to buy shit cheap on Amazon.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This was posted in another thread:

Cincinnati Bengals: Zac Taylor

I saved the Bengals for last in hopes that, by allowing more time, I might understand how Zac Taylor became an NFL head coach when less than 10 years ago, he was a graduate assistant at Texas A&M. Usually, coaches with meteoric rises (like Sean McVay) have past performances that justify that ascent. However in Taylor’s case, there were no surges, just lousy offensive football at every stop until he reached Los Angeles. And the more authority he achieved, the less productive the team became.

In those 10 years, Taylor has been a coordinator twice. In 2015, Taylor was the offensive coordinator of the 6-10 Miami Dolphins. That year, the Dolphins scored 20 or fewer points 12 times and were just 63-for-205 on third down (30.7 percent). You might believe that Dolphins team was not talented, but with the likes of running backs Lamar Miller and Jay Ajayi, as well as receivers Jarvis Landry and Kenny Stills, the Fins scored just 310 points all year, averaged 19.4 for the season and could barely convert third downs.

At the University of Cincinnati in 2016, Taylor inherited a team that scored 440 points the year before. However, the next season, under the direction of Taylor, the Bearcats scored 232 points for the season, had four games in which they scored fewer than 10 points, and were 69-for-182 on third down, converting just 37.9 percent.

So with these less-than-impressive numbers, how did Taylor become a head coach? The only logical answer: “the Sean McVay factor,” since Taylor was the quarterback coach in Los Angeles during the last two seasons.

Look, I am not some old NFL veteran who does not believe youth deserves its opportunity, but did anyone watch the Super Bowl this year? And let’s say Taylor is the second coming of Sean; wouldn’t that brilliance show up in Miami during the ‘15 campaign, or on the campus of the University of Cincinnati? If McVay was coaching at either place, I bet the numbers would be way different.

How can this work in Cincinnati now? The Bengals needed a tough coach. They needed a drill instructor to get their team to become more disciplined and focused. The Bengals have talent but lack attention to detail on both sides of the ball. They might believe Taylor will bring out the best in Andy Dalton. But even if Dalton’s play improves, who will keep the team in line and handle the different personalities? Can Taylor do this? Call me skeptical.

The other area in which Taylor lacks experience and expertise in is player personnel. And in Cincinnati, the head coach and staff must be good coaches but also good evaluators because the front office relies on their opinions. With the right head coach and staff, this could prove to be an effective way of team building. But with the wrong crew, this could become toxic fast.

I wish I were more optimistic about the Bengals’ future, but this move reminds me of when Bengals owner Mike Brown hired David Shula in 1992 at the tender age of 32, passing on Bill Cowher. Brown felt that he and Shula shared the same background, being sons of famous coaches. Shula lasted four-plus seasons and had a career record of 19-52. I keep looking for reasons why this time might be different. Unfortunately, I cannot find any.

Eight new coaches in one year. Why do I have a feeling one of these eight might just become one and done and the remaining might only have two seasons to prove they belong?
For God's sake . Can you Debby- downers wait and let the new regime at least play a preseason game before you crucify them. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:34 PM)McC Wrote: No.  It's easier just to ***** first.  It's the world wide web and it was created to give self proclaimed experts a place to voice their complaints about everything other people do and then later, to post mundane bullshit on FB and to buy shit cheap on Amazon.
I'd better be quiet that sounds just like me.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:56 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I'd better be quiet that sounds just like me.

Hmm.  I don't really get that vibe from you.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:05 PM)McC Wrote: Hmm.  I don't really get that vibe from you.
It would be wrong of me to say I wasn't a little skeptical with the hiring but was glad to see the same old dog and pony show move on. I think everyone was happy that MB stepped aside and let others choose their man. I'm all for giving him time to make the team his before passing any judgement on his abilities, even if others want to skin him alive because he hasn't chosen a DC yet.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 02:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think some of what Lombardi said is accurate. If you look at every stop of Taylor outside of the Rams...they've been mediocre.

So then the question becomes, did he learn from those stops and become a great coach with the Rams that contributed to the Rams success? Or did he just ride the coat tails of those who did.

So, that's fine to discuss.....but to be sarcastic about the whole deal when he doesn't even have his facts right is a bit much.  You'd think he would have learned his lesson after being 1000% incorrect about Pederson....but alas, he hasn't.

All of these guys are slobbering all over Nick Foles' knob too, but he's been mediocre everywhere but Philly.  Hypocrisy is not exactly a thing that sits well with me.

Personally, I'm concerned with the defense, and think we'll be good on offense.  It's not a lot different than last season.

As a writer, if you want to come off as a smug know it all, that's on you, but you better damn well have your facts straight when you do, or people like me will call it out every time.  So, I just can't put much stock in a guy's opinion on my team and its coach when he can't even be bothered to do a 20 second Google search to fact check.  Sorry, just how it is. I'm not a writer at all, and when I didn't bother to do a simple Google search to fact check, I got called out on it....and rightfully so. This is just a message board, not a publication.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:15 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: So, that's fine to discuss.....but to be sarcastic about the whole deal when he doesn't even have his facts right is a bit much.  You'd think he would have learned his lesson after being 1000% incorrect about Pederson....but alas, he hasn't.

All of these guys are slobbering all over Nick Foles' knob too, but he's been mediocre everywhere but Philly.  Hypocrisy is not exactly a thing that sits well with me.

Personally, I'm concerned with the defense, and think we'll be good on offense.  It's not a lot different than last season.

As a writer, if you want to come off as a smug know it all, that's on you, but you better damn well have your facts straight when you do, or people like me will call it out every time.  So, I just can't put much stock in a guy's opinion on my team and its coach when he can't even be bothered to do a 20 second Google search to fact check.  Sorry, just how it is. I'm not a writer at all, and when I didn't bother to do a simple Google search to fact check, I got called out on it....and rightfully so. This is just a message board, not a publication.

Spot on Wyche. These guys should me more accountable, not less.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:15 PM)Wyche Wrote: So, that's fine to discuss.....but to be sarcastic about the whole deal when he doesn't even have his facts right is a bit much.  You'd think he would have learned his lesson after being 1000% incorrect about Pederson....but alas, he hasn't.

As a writer, if you want to come off as a smug know it all, that's on you, but you better damn well have your facts straight when you do, or people like me will call it out every time.  So, I just can't put much stock in a guy's opinion on my team and its coach when he can't even be bothered to do a 20 second Google search to fact check.  Sorry, just how it is.  I'm not a writer at all, and when I didn't bother to do a simple Google search to fact check, I got called out on it....and rightfully so.  This is just a message board, not a publication.

I think Taylor's entire coaching record outside of the Rams is a valid concern to discuss too.

So far I see an inexperienced coach with a mediocre record outside of the Rams putting together an inexperienced staff with a questionable offensive line coach. Then we struggle to hire a DC for whatever reason...and he appears to fall back to a mediocre option that he coached with as the Dolphins.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 10:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think Taylor's entire coaching record outside of the Rams is a valid concern to discuss too.

So far I see an inexperienced coach with a mediocre record outside of the Rams putting together an inexperienced staff with a questionable offensive line coach. Then we struggle to hire a DC for whatever reason...and he appears to fall back to a mediocre option that he coached with as the Dolphins.

Lets just go totally Negative Nancy and fire him before his first practice. Light the torches I'll meet you in Indian Hills . We'll nip this crap in the bud. How dare he be on the job three weeks and he still doesn't have us a Super Bowl win. Oh the humanity of it all. I just can't take it anymore.
Reply/Quote
Ok lets look at the other side, Marvin Lewis hired as HC and thought of as defensive guru, he was DC in Baltimore for the Super Bowl and legendary defense...

how did that translate over Lewis' career as a head coach? The guru didn't do such a hot job with the Austin hire. As a matter of fact other than Zimmer none of Lewis' DC didn't exactly light it up.

So lets see what happens, you can spin Taylor a number of ways now because there's no record with him as a HC, lets just sit back and hope for the best and enjoy the ride.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 10:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think Taylor's entire coaching record outside of the Rams is a valid concern to discuss too.

That's fine.....just don't use a source that's incorrect to back up your opinion....lol.  

As I've said, the concerns are valid, I'm not saying that at all.  That being said, Taylor was getting accolades, recommendations, and seen as the next big thing all over NFL circles until he took the Bengals job.  Now, all of the sudden, he's a dumbass......it's just comical to me to watch.  These "experts" are full of shit....and are who I'm taking issue with, not any member here with concerns, including you.  While I may think some folks are worrying a bit too much, I also understand that the unknown will always bring doubts.

Also, you kinda keep dodging when I mention the coaches from the previous staff that were retained.  I don't see Van Pelt, Bicknell, or Simmons as mediocre coaches....nor the new RB coach or OC.  Livingston is a highly regarded coach as well.  It's not ALL doom and gloom.

Reply/Quote
Who is Micheal Lombardi?
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 12:57 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Who is Micheal Lombardi?

A fool.  With a big mouth.  Said Doug Pederson had no business being a HC right before the year he won the SB.  

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 10:01 AM)Wyche Wrote: That's fine.....just don't use a source that's incorrect to back up your opinion....lol.  

As I've said, the concerns are valid, I'm not saying that at all.  That being said, Taylor was getting accolades, recommendations, and seen as the next big thing all over NFL circles until he took the Bengals job.  Now, all of the sudden, he's a dumbass......it's just comical to me to watch.  These "experts" are full of shit....and are who I'm taking issue with, not any member here with concerns, including you.  While I may think some folks are worrying a bit too much, I also understand that the unknown will always bring doubts.

Also, you kinda keep dodging when I mention the coaches from the previous staff that were retained.  I don't see Van Pelt, Bicknell, or Simmons as mediocre coaches....nor the new RB coach or OC.  Livingston is a highly regarded coach as well.  It's not ALL doom and gloom.

Not dodging it. How much power will a QB Coach, WR Coach, or Special Teams coach that's been here for nearly 2 decades have? Are they going to be structuring practices? Are they going to be creating playbooks? They're not bad coaches, I just doubt they have a high level view of how to run a football operation. They're more position specific.

I think their power is insignificant. HC, OC, and DC will be the guys calling the shots.

Plus, we had those guys last year and our offense was pretty terrible.

I do think there's more to Pollack leaving than has been written about.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 03:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Not dodging it. How much power will a QB Coach, WR Coach, or Special Teams coach that's been here for nearly 2 decades have? Are they going to be structuring practices? Are they going to be creating playbooks? They're not bad coaches, I just doubt they have a high level view of how to run a football operation. They're more position specific.

I think their power is insignificant. HC, OC, and DC will be the guys calling the shots.

Plus, we had those guys last year and our offense was pretty terrible.

I do think there's more to Pollack leaving than has been written about.

Why?

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 03:45 PM)McC Wrote: Why?

A guy under contract just leaving? IF he was so on-board with Taylor turning us into a winner, don't you think he'd stay? If he thought he had the makings of a great offensive line, don't you think he'd stay?

He took a job here a year ago and after 1 year he decided to quit. There had to be a reason.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 03:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A guy under contract just leaving? IF he was so on-board with Taylor turning us into a winner, don't you think he'd stay? If he thought he had the makings of a great offensive line, don't you think he'd stay?

He took a job here a year ago and after 1 year he decided to quit. There had to be a reason.

Well, guessing is one of your fortes, so go on and guess.  Seems irrelevant at this point unless you're looking for trouble that may or may not exist.

Reply/Quote