Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock!
I had pretty much realized that drafting Mayer was a pipe dream because I had seen him projected to go in the middle of the first round, but the most recent PFF mock draft has him going to the Giants at #26, which I think the Giants will go QB.

Regardless if we think the Giants will take him, the Jags or Bills could take him before us, so I think we should still trade up to get him if he falls that far because it would only cost us our first and likely a third round pick.

Having Mayer would make us the most dangerous offense in the NFL because you HAVE to double Mayer AND Chase, but that leaves other options open for us, and that's assuming the double teams stop them, which is a tall task.

We saw how wide open Kelce can get even when the defense knows that he was Mahomes' main target, and they didn't have Chase.

I realize that we need lineman, but hopefully we can find free agents and quality draft picks after the first round, as well as considering that a tight end like Mayer helps keep the pass rush in check by being a safety outlet.

DRAFT MEYER!

[Image: 319630730_456677413135020_48177757971203...e=63DF42EB]

[Image: 140243252_822541879120_79587229763848782...e=6402686A]
Reply/Quote
I think there are better TE fits for Bengals. Musgrave looks good. Kincaid makes great cuts but needs work.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 05:47 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think there are better TE fits for Bengals.  Musgrave looks good.  Kincaid makes great cuts but needs work.

My big issue is that TE's rarely make a big impact as rookies.  I would personally prefer to resign Hurst and nab one in the middle rounds to develop.
Reply/Quote
I expect Meyer to already be gone by the time we’re on the clock, however I would highly consider him if he’s somehow still there. The only thing that makes me hesitant is the depth of this TE class.
Reply/Quote
Meyer is obviously a very good player but we need to address the oline.

The Eagles and Chiefs have one thing in common - best oline in their conference.

My priorities:

RT/CB
Edge/S/LT (Bell back)
TE/LB/IOL (Hurst and Wilcox/Sample back)

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 02:47 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Meyer is obviously a very good player but we need to address the oline.

The Eagles and Chiefs have one thing in common - best oline in their conference.

My priorities:

RT/CB
Edge/S/LT (Bell back)

They also have top TEs and RBs on a rookie deal.

And while we're at it, a game changer on the DL. I love our players but we don't have a Jones, Hargrave, Davis, Reddick along our DL.

Yes, I know this strengthens Brad's argument but TE wasn't the highest on the list.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 12:46 PM)Whatever Wrote: My big issue is that TE's rarely make a big impact as rookies.  I would personally prefer to resign Hurst and nab one in the middle rounds to develop.
Mayer's different and will come in and make a HUGE impact as a rookie. Check out this article:

Quote:SPN draft analyst Matt Miller said that Mayer and  [color=var(--hyperlink-resting-color)]Texas[/color] running back [color=var(--hyperlink-resting-color)]Bijan Robinson [/color]project as the two "safest" picks in this draft, as their skills so obviously translate up to the NFL

And most tight ends don't have Burrow throwing them the ball or receivers like ours, especially Chase, to draw coverage off of him.

(02-02-2023, 02:27 PM)WhoDeyK Wrote: I expect Meyer to already be gone by the time we’re on the clock, however I would highly consider him if he’s somehow still there. The only thing that makes me hesitant is the depth of this TE class.

There is depth and quality, but there's no one on Meyer's level. 

He's a generational talent.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 04:17 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: They also have top TEs and RBs on a rookie deal.

And while we're at it, a game changer on the DL. I love our players but we don't have a Jones, Hargrave, Davis, Reddick along our DL.

Yes, I know this strengthens Brad's argument but TE wasn't the highest on the list.

Who are the Top TE's on a rookie deal?  Sanders at RB is on his last year I would assume?  I dont considered Pacheco a top RB...

Reader is a game changer in the run game, but we are lacking interior pass pressure and could use another on the edge for sure.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 05:41 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Who are the Top TE's on a rookie deal?  Sanders at RB is on his last year I would assume?  I dont considered Pacheco a top RB...

Reader is a game changer in the run game, but we are lacking interior pass pressure and could use another on the edge for sure.

Sorry, bad phrasing, that was meant to have a comma to separate that sentence structure.

Meant top TEs, and RBs on rookie deals.

Isn't Godert on a rookie deal still though? Or did he just get his second contract.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 02:47 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Meyer is obviously a very good player but we need to address the oline.

My priorities:

RT/CB
Edge/S/LT (Bell back)

If the #1 TE and a top 10 talent drops to 28, you take him.  You don't just draft postions because you need them.  I'd rather have the #1 TE than the 5th OT or CB.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 12:37 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: If the #1 TE and a top 10 talent drops to 28, you take him.  You don't just draft postions because you need them.  I'd rather have the #1 TE than the 5th OT or CB.

The 5th OT may very well be the #1 RT.  If we had a healthy LC I would agree, but RT is almost an emergency situation IMO.  The TOP RT in the draft could be solid for a decade.  The top TE most likely needs a year at the least, but even if not he gets what, 2 to 3 catches per game?  The RT is in on every single play and protects the franchise.  We have seen proof that is doesnt matter how many great receivers we have if Joe has no time we will have a much more difficult time winning a SB.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 06:45 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Sorry, bad phrasing, that was meant to have a comma to separate that sentence structure.

Meant top TEs, and RBs on rookie deals.

Isn't Godert on a rookie deal still though? Or did he just get his second contract.

Godert signed a $57M deal last season.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 01:17 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The 5th OT may very well be the #1 RT.  If we had a healthy LC I would agree, but RT is almost an emergency situation IMO.  The TOP RT in the draft could be solid for a decade.  The top TE most likely needs a year at the least, but even if not he gets what, 2 to 3 catches per game?  The RT is in on every single play and protects the franchise.  We have seen proof that is doesnt matter how many great receivers we have if Joe has no time we will have a much more difficult time winning a SB.

Sure, but you don't go out and trust a rookie to man that spot - we've seen how that's worked out before.

It all boils down to who is on the board when we pick.  There are several directions we could go and all of them would be great they managed to get a stud.

OT, WR, TE, EDGE, DT, LB, CB, S, OG.  We could literally use any of those.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 01:21 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Sure, but you don't go out and trust a rookie to man that spot - we've seen how that's worked out before.

It all boils down to who is on the board when we pick.  There are several directions we could go and all of them would be great they managed to get a stud.

OT, WR, TE, EDGE, DT, LB, CB, S, OG.  We could literally use any of those.

TE is not utilized enough in our system if we have a major opening at RT (assuming LC isnt healthy).

A 4th WR over RT?  Not me.

A 4th edge rusher over RT? Not me.

A 6th DT over RT? Not me.

A top CB, assuming Eli doesnt sign or a really really good CB even if he does?  Maybe.

A top safety if Bell doesnt sign?  Maybe

OG3 over RT1? Not me, but we do need depth, Im hoping Ben Brown can came back and provide that at C & G.

Tell me where Im wrong.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 04:57 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Mayer's different and will come in and make a HUGE impact as a rookie. Check out this article:

And most tight ends don't have Burrow throwing them the ball or receivers like ours, especially Chase, to draw coverage off of him.

There is depth and quality, but there's no one on Meyer's level. 

He's a generational talent.

Enough.  He is nowhere near what Pitts was a couple years ago.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 01:46 PM)casear2727 Wrote: TE is not utilized enough in our system if we have a major opening at RT (assuming LC isnt healthy).

A 4th WR over RT?  Not me.

A 4th edge rusher over RT? Not me.

A 6th DT over RT? Not me.

A top CB, assuming Eli doesnt sign or a really really good CB even if he does?  Maybe.

A top safety if Bell doesnt sign?  Maybe

OG3 over RT1? Not me, but we do need depth, Im hoping Ben Brown can came back and provide that at C & G.

Tell me where Im wrong.

You're assuming that RT1 is on the board when we pick.  If he is, sure, it's a no-brainer.  But, again, I'm not passing on a guy that is the best at his position group for a lower prospect.

I'm one that doesn't get into the what ifs as much when drafting in the late 20's.  I look at the way the Steelers handled the draft when they were picking low every year.  It seemed like someone would be on the board and you'd say "how in the world is he there"

Give me a Heath Miller, TJ Watt, Cam Heyward type prospect any time over a guy that we are picking just because of the position.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 01:08 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: You're assuming that RT1 is on the board when we pick.  If he is, sure, it's a no-brainer.  But, again, I'm not passing on a guy that is the best at his position group for a lower prospect.

I'm one that doesn't get into the what ifs as much when drafting in the late 20's.  I look at the way the Steelers handled the draft when they were picking low every year.  It seemed like someone would be on the board and you'd say "how in the world is he there"

Give me a Heath Miller, TJ Watt, Cam Heyward type prospect any time over a guy that we are picking just because of the position.

So, if Wright is on our board at 35, you take which position group ahead of him at 28?

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 01:13 PM)casear2727 Wrote: So, if Wright is on our board at 35, you take which position group ahead of him at 28?

Well you don't draft position groups but if I had to throw one out there it would be Tight End because the only one signed is Asasi. PFF is telling me Hayden Hurst is gonna be 3 years 28.5mil (9.5mil per year) no thank you.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 02:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Well you don't draft position groups but if I had to throw one out there it would be Tight End because the only one signed is Asasi. PFF is telling me Hayden Hurst is gonna be 3 years 28.5mil (9.5mil per year) no thank you.

Right but if I had to guess Wilcox will get vet min and then you can draft a player. And again, with our reluctance (and likely lack of need) to use elite TEs, you don't have to get the top one just to say you have it.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 03:10 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Right but if I had to guess Wilcox will get vet min and then you can draft a player. And again, with our reluctance (and likely lack of need) to use elite TEs, you don't have to get the top one just to say you have it.

Mitchell Wilcox earned a deal this year (although he almost fell on his face in the AFC Championship game) but he won't stop a TE being drafted at 28 if a guy is there. Hayden Hurst resigned could because then they would need to just replace Drew Sample. 

I do think the Tight End room is one they could really remake in this draft class if they want to go that route. Luke Musgrave will be a controversial prospect but the "potiental" we are talking about is a guy you can build an offense around a game changer. Other guys like Tucker Kraft has a chance to develop a skillset similar to George Kittle. Dalton Kincaid is almost a mirror image of Hayden Hurst.

There will probably be day 3 guys like Josh Whyle, Sam Laporta, Cameron Latu, Will Mallory, Payne Durham if you want to double down. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote