Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Mayer Falls To 26 In Latest PFF Mock!
(02-07-2023, 04:30 PM)casear2727 Wrote: And Bowers is the real deal next year and McBride was the real deal last year.  I like Meyer but TE is rarely an instant impact player and our offense doesn’t prioritize the position (I wish they would a little more).

Hence why I looked and found a TE thats closer to where we like to draft one. And he has almost the same production.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hayden Hurst was getting a similar target share to Tyler Boyd. Burrow was really looking at Hurst as a reliable option against the constant cover 2 shame Hurst missed those games. As for drafting TE's the Bengals have tended to look for that position in the early rounds and it isn't a stretch to see how a TE with talent could become a big role with Burrow at QB.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 04:58 PM)Synric Wrote: Hayden Hurst was getting a similar target share to Tyler Boyd. Burrow was really looking at Hurst as a reliable option against the constant cover 2 shame Hurst missed those games. As for drafting TE's the Bengals have tended to look for that position in the early rounds and it isn't a stretch to see how a TE with talent could become a big role with Burrow at QB.

Exactly, and Mayer is head-and-shoulders above both Gresham one Eifert (as well as Hurst, obviously).

Mayer will help destroy cover 2s by being a threat up the seam and all over the field, and then it's like do you single cover Chase or Mayer and, either way, you have Higgins on the other side and still have to worry about keeping defenders near the line to stop Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 04:41 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Hence why I looked and found a TE thats closer to where we like to draft one. And he has almost the same production.

Durham definitely fits the traits we are looking for, I like the guy. Washington and Mayer would be great as well, I just dont see us drafting that high for those guys.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 05:16 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Exactly, and Mayer is head-and-shoulders above both Gresham one Eifert (as well as Hurst, obviously).

Mayer will help destroy cover 2s by being a threat up the seam and all over the field, and then it's like do you single cover Chase or Mayer and, either way, you have Higgins on the other side and still have to worry about keeping defenders near the line to stop Mixon.

Mayer's best forty was 4.65 he will not require double coverage, he is not Kelce or even Eifert as to pass catching ability.  Musgrave is probably the absolute best TE in the draft to do what you are hoping Mayer would. Mayer is pushing 270 and is a very good player, he can block and catch but expecting him to be a super downfield weapon is a bit much.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 05:37 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Mayer's best forty was 4.65 he will not require double coverage, he is not Kelce or even Eifert as to pass catching ability.  Musgrave is probably the absolute best TE in the draft to do what you are hoping Mayer would. Mayer is pushing 270 and is a very good player, he can block and catch but expecting him to be a super downfield weapon is a bit much.

He will require double coverage simply due to his size and route running ability.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 06:07 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He will require double coverage simply due to his size and route running ability.

Mayer's size is nothing special in this class.....

6'4" 265 isn't anything elite as a TE.

Washington 6'7" 270
Musgrave 6'6" 250
Kincaid 6'4" 240
Durham 6'5" 255
LaPorta 6'4" 250 (TE U also)
Whyle 6'6" 250

He is the consensus top TE currently. And he may be a better route runner right now (I can't judge that at this point) but really he doesn't possess anything that stands out compared to his peers. Be honest, if you didn't know the kid grew up here (in my hometown), and you've met him multiple times, you likely wouldn't be as adamant on drafting him over a OT in 1.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 06:07 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He will require double coverage simply due to his size and route running ability.

Seriously?  Do you know how many TE's that are 6'4 and cant run a sub 4.65 forty?  Kelce is doubled teamed at times but he is much more a WR than TE.

Mayer's weakness has been profiled as:
    • Athletic profile limiting factor - Lacks Run-Away Athlete Speed
    • Functional strength is good but not dominant
    • Blocking technique not always clean
    • Not likely to win foot races with defensive backs
    • Does not have an expansive route tree
  • Mayer is compared more to Mark Andrews than Gronk, which is still very good.

Reply/Quote
This Draft Class is light on skill players you can build an offense around. The best odds I would give in that department are Bijan Robinson and Jordan Addison. I would put three more players that have that potential Quentin Johnston, Jahymr Gibbs, and Luke Musgrave.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 09:14 PM)Synric Wrote: This Draft Class is light on skill players you can build an offense around. The best odds I would give in that department are Bijan Robinson and Jordan Addison. I would put three more players that have that potential Quentin Johnston, Jahymr Gibbs, and Luke Musgrave.

Whats the opinion we could trade Boyd, free up cap space and move to a 2 TE set or using Musgrave as a big WR (ala Jimmy Graham)?
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 06:50 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I had pretty much realized that drafting Mayer was a pipe dream because I had seen him projected to go in the middle of the first round, but the most recent PFF mock draft has him going to the Giants at #26, which I think the Giants will go QB.

Regardless if we think the Giants will take him, the Jags or Bills could take him before us, so I think we should still trade up to get him if he falls that far because it would only cost us our first and likely a third round pick.

Having Mayer would make us the most dangerous offense in the NFL because you HAVE to double Mayer AND Chase, but that leaves other options open for us, and that's assuming the double teams stop them, which is a tall task.

We saw how wide open Kelce can get even when the defense knows that he was Mahomes' main target, and they didn't have Chase.

I realize that we need lineman, but hopefully we can find free agents and quality draft picks after the first round, as well as considering that a tight end like Mayer helps keep the pass rush in check by being a safety outlet.

DRAFT MEYER!

[Image: 319630730_456677413135020_48177757971203...e=63DF42EB]

[Image: 140243252_822541879120_79587229763848782...e=6402686A]

I really like the guy, but he simply isn't a Kelce-type.  Quickness isn't his game, and in the NFL everyone is faster so his marginal quickness will be even less effective.  I would much rather have a guy like JSN or go CB or DE.  
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I really like the guy, but he simply isn't a Kelce-type.  Quickness isn't his game, and in the NFL everyone is faster so his marginal quickness will be even less effective.  I would much rather have a guy like JSN or go CB or DE.  

He's quick for a tight end and, at tight end, I'm not really concerned about his straight-line speed. We don't want him to be slow but I'm not expecting him to outrun a defensive back on a streak.

He has a knack for finding the endzone and he can make things happen after the catch.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 02:47 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Meyer is obviously a very good player but we need to address the oline.

The Eagles and Chiefs have one thing in common - best oline in their conference.

My priorities:

RT/CB
Edge/S/LT (Bell back)
TE/LB/IOL (Hurst and Wilcox/Sample back)

I agree with you on the RT and the need at CB.  I have ppl fighting me tooth and nail about the CB thinking since Burrow's injury was worse Awuzie will be ready by training camp and we have Marvell Tell to develop, so we need to be thinking about a TE in round 2 or 3 and not a CB until 5 or 6.  Also, I'm getting pushback on a FS with ppl thinking Dax can handle replacing Bates without it being a hiccup. 

Cody Mauch or Darnell Wright in R1
Round 2 CB/FS
Round 3 FS/CB whoever is the best player at those positions. 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:33 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: I agree with you on the RT and the need at CB.  I have ppl fighting me tooth and nail about the CB thinking since Burrow's injury was worse Awuzie will be ready by training camp and we have Marvell Tell to develop, so we need to be thinking about a TE in round 2 or 3 and not a CB until 5 or 6.  Also, I'm getting pushback on a FS with ppl thinking Dax can handle replacing Bates without it being a hiccup. 

Round 2 CB/FS

You're not spending a high pick on a FS when Dax hasn't been given any opportunity to show whether he can play or not. Doing so ruins the ability to get better with cheap contracts.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 07:14 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: You're not spending a high pick on a FS when Dax hasn't been given any opportunity to show whether he can play or not. Doing so ruins the ability to get better with cheap contracts.

So what if Dax can't are you willing to roll the dice on that?? The jury is still out on Dax and really I think he's a backup for Hilton, yes I know he was a first-round pick but that's irrelevant now.  Let's say Dax does earn the starting FS position, what happens if he or Bell gets injured then we're down to Anderson.  Anderson has been on IR all year and is more in the mold of SS/OLB like Flowers to cover the TE.  We need a true Free Safety and a CB in rounds 2 or 3 unless there's an absolute steal at a position.  One of the things that does concern me is whether or not we will be able to keep both Pratt and Wilson.  If not, then we're looking for a LB in 2 or 3; then LB-Noah Sewell from Oregon starts to look really good.

Awuzie may not be ready before 9 months, possibly not until November until he sees the field again, so we'll need to back up Cam and Eli. Yes, I know we have Allan George and Marvel Tell on the practice squad, but how much faith the staff has in them will decide if we take a CB in the early rounds. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 11:05 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: So what if Dax can't are you willing to roll the dice on that?? The jury is still out on Dax and really I think he's a backup for Hilton, yes I know he was a first-round pick but that's irrelevant now.  Let's say Dax does earn the starting FS position, what happens if he or Bell gets injured then we're down to Anderson.  Anderson has been on IR all year and is more in the mold of SS/OLB like Flowers to cover the TE.  We need a true Free Safety and a CB in rounds 2 or 3 unless there's an absolute steal at a position.  One of the things that does concern me is whether or not we will be able to keep both Pratt and Wilson.  If not, then we're looking for a LB in 2 or 3; then LB-Noah Sewell from Oregon starts to look really good.

Awuzie may not be ready before 9 months, possibly not until November until he sees the field again, so we'll need to back up Cam and Eli. Yes, I know we have Allan George and Marvel Tell on the practice squad, but how much faith the staff has in them will decide if we take a CB in the early rounds. 

Daxton Hill is a 1st round safety that was drafted and groomed for an entire season to take over for Jessie Bates. He is more likely to succeed than a late 3rd round almost day 3 rookie safety. Depth could be addressed but if they feel comfortable with Tycen Anderson then that brings the total up to four safeties with Hill, Bell, Thomas, Anderson. 

If they feel they need a better backup they will bring in a cheap veteran like Thomas. They have done that since Lou got here.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 11:05 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: So what if Dax can't are you willing to roll the dice on that?? The jury is still out on Dax and really I think he's a backup for Hilton, yes I know he was a first-round pick but that's irrelevant now.  Let's say Dax does earn the starting FS position, what happens if he or Bell gets injured then we're down to Anderson.  Anderson has been on IR all year and is more in the mold of SS/OLB like Flowers to cover the TE.  We need a true Free Safety and a CB in rounds 2 or 3 unless there's an absolute steal at a position.  One of the things that does concern me is whether or not we will be able to keep both Pratt and Wilson.  If not, then we're looking for a LB in 2 or 3; then LB-Noah Sewell from Oregon starts to look really good.

We drafted CB and S last year... 

We will likely draft some more for Depth but i think we still have bigger needs in the early rounds.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 11:53 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: We drafted CB and S last year... 

We will likely draft some more for Depth but i think we still have bigger needs in the early rounds.

Corner is likely on the table because of the class. Its such a great class it wouldn't surprise me if the Bengals selected a corner by the end of day two. Same thing with Pass rushers...

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:33 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: I agree with you on the RT and the need at CB.  I have ppl fighting me tooth and nail about the CB thinking since Burrow's injury was worse Awuzie will be ready by training camp and we have Marvell Tell to develop, so we need to be thinking about a TE in round 2 or 3 and not a CB until 5 or 6.  Also, I'm getting pushback on a FS with ppl thinking Dax can handle replacing Bates without it being a hiccup. 

Round 2 CB/FS

There is a very good chance that Awuzie takes several weeks before he is 100%, Bills awesome CB was never right this season coming off an ACL.  Cant complain about a high CB pick, they are also a high value position.

Von Bell will determine the need at safety.  We could easily draft an awesome FS and move Dax to SS if we dont re-sign Bell or pick up another vet.

Seems as though Mauch is moving to guard, he already played there last week.  Also his pass blocking is the question mark at tackle.  Im very big on Darnell Wright, ok with Jonson and Duncan as well - the need at RT is real.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 09:07 PM)casear2727 Wrote: There is a very good chance that Awuzie takes several weeks before he is 100%, Bills awesome CB was never right this season coming off an ACL.  Cant complain about a high CB pick, they are also a high value position.

Von Bell will determine the need at safety.  We could easily draft an awesome FS and move Dax to SS if we dont re-sign Bell or pick up another vet.

Seems as though Mauch is moving to guard, he already played there last week.  Also his pass blocking is the question mark at tackle.  Im very big on Darnell Wright, ok with Jonson and Duncan as well - the need at RT is real.

Exactly, ROT is the # 1 priority!  I like Darnell Wright and a guy we could get in the later rounds is Richard Gourgie out of Florida.  Wright, and Gourgie all had good games coming out of the Senior Bowl.  I noticed Mauch playing Center in the 1st half and ROT in the 3rd, he did well at both but he has arms that are 2 inches short of being an OT. I must have missed him playing OG. 

Some people think Jonah is the answer to the Right Tackle, and we will not use him as a backup paying $13-million, so we need to go after a TE.  That's irrelevant in my book b/c Jonah only has one more year on his contract.  Also, Pratt and Wilson will determine if we need to get an LB in 2 or 3.  I think Bell will stay put.  If we can get a quality CB in rounds 2, 3, 4 I say take them.  Also, we do have Allan George and Marvel Tell to develop. 
Reply/Quote