Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Michael Thomas now a Raven
I've always wondered just how much of an impact a former player has in 'giving away offense/defensive intel' when you are about to play said team.

Do you think that's the reason they plucked him from our PS?

(He ended up on their PS BTW)
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
They plucked him cuz they have no wrs.. Plenty of time to change things for that game..
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 08:49 PM)Tony Wrote: They plucked him cuz they have no wrs.. Plenty of time to change things for that game..

Still that would suck that they have to change terminology and not get people confused when a play call is made.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 08:44 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I've always wondered just how much of an impact a former player has in 'giving away offense/defensive intel' when you are about to play said team.

Well there's no reason why they would bring him up as a WR. Its possible they brought him in to play ST, I havent paid attention to injuries they've had, but I assume the only reason would be to get some Intel. 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 08:50 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Still that would suck that they have to change terminology and not get people confused when a play call is made.

I assume they probably change terminology quite frequently, don't you think? They have microphones and video so if not teams would be able to pretty easily figure out what certain words means. 
Reply/Quote
I think people overstate the 'intel' players take with them to other teams. My quess there is very little they can share that can't be found on game tape

You know aside from 'burrow likes to trim his nails on a Tuesday night while watching reruns of desperate house wives.'

Like that's his business
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 08:50 PM)TheFan Wrote: Well there's no reason why they would bring him up as a WR. Its possible they brought him in to play ST, I havent paid attention to injuries they've had, but I assume the only reason would be to get some Intel. 

He's on their PS.  So, he isn't even playing ST.

I think the only reason they plucked him was intel.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 08:49 PM)Tony Wrote: They plucked him cuz they have no wrs.. Plenty of time to change things for that game..
And they still don't because he sucks. I never understood how he stayed on the roster for a third straight season. The Bengals must have finally released him. I thought that the rule was that if you sign someone off of another team's PS, you must keep them on your roster for the rest of the season. Maybe I'm thinking of a MLB rule but I'm pretty sure that's the case with the NFL.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Maybe now he can drop passes from Lamar for a refreshing change. Lol
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 08:44 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I've always wondered just how much of an impact a former player has in 'giving away offense/defensive intel' when you are about to play said team.

Well Mike Hilton said he would not give up any secrets about the Steelers which I respect. His play is why we hired him not what he could whisper in our ears.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 08:51 PM)TheFan Wrote: I assume they probably change terminology quite frequently, don't you think? They have microphones and video so if not teams would be able to pretty easily figure out what certain words means. 

I heard Joe B talking in the huddle in the last game as he was calling the play which the TV broadcasters really should not let happen.
Reply/Quote
Have you seen Thomas play? I strongly doubt he knew the playbook.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 10:38 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Have you seen Thomas play? I strongly doubt he knew the playbook.

Good point  Hilarious
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 09:43 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: And they still don't because he sucks. I never understood how he stayed on the roster for a third straight season. The Bengals must have finally released him. I thought that the rule was that if you sign someone off of another team's PS, you must keep them on your roster for the rest of the season. Maybe I'm thinking of a MLB rule but I'm pretty sure that's the case with the NFL.

Dude couldn't catch a hooker in a brothel with a fist full of 50s...
Reply/Quote
I don't think he was on our PS. We picked up Tyron Johnson a couple of weeks ago. Lassiter has been the other WR in the PS.

We waived Thomas on 11/21. Signed Irwin off the PS on the next day. No record of him being signed back.

https://www.bengals.com/team/transactions/

Point about Intel stands, though. .
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 10:37 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: I heard Joe B talking in the huddle in the last game as he was calling the play which the TV broadcasters really should not let happen.

I mean there were literal commercials about Payton Mannins audible calls back when he was playing with the Broncos. The thing is "Omaha" meant something different each game or else teams would know every other play. 
Reply/Quote
I highly doubt MT could say anything to the Ravens everyone does already know.

What tips would he give ?

“Hey watch out for back shoulder throws.”

“Hey Jamarr Chase is a god”

Burrow spreads it around so much that even if you know the play we’re running there’s no possible way you could consistently mess him up
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Lol at Mike freaking Thomas giving any team any intel. Like he was actually ever allowed in any position/team meetings that mattered.
Reply/Quote
There are coaches/scouts watching opponents film throughout the season so they are not going to learn anything they haven’t already seen on tape during the previous 16 games. They put in changes/wrinkles for every team they play anyways so it’s never exactly the same.

Just change the terminology and Thomas is useless to them as far as “intel” goes.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 11:51 PM)TheFan Wrote: I mean there were literal commercials about Payton Mannins audible calls back when he was playing with the Broncos. The thing is "Omaha" meant something different each game or else teams would know every other play. 

Omaha meant the same thing every game - it was an indicator that Manning used to tell his linemen "the play has changed, the clock is low and we need to snap it right now." You might be thinking of what Peyton said in 2014...

Quote:"Omaha is a run play, but it could be a pass play or a play-action pass depending on a couple things: the wind, which way we're going, the quarter and the jerseys that we're wearing," Manning said

This was a joke, and he explained the actual meaning of it after he retired. Source.
Reply/Quote