Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Microfracture Surgery in the NFL
(10-31-2015, 12:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't care what "others" say.  The only recent study I have seen on this says that 40% of players return to their previous level of play, and another 40% are able to return and play at a lower level.

I call 40% "almost half of the time" instead of "very rare".

I like how you change what I wrote.

I said most never get back to form....60% is most.

In the NFL i said it's very rare....can you name me even 5 players that have had the procedure and are back to 100%. 

Thanks.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 11:17 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Again, expect the worst, hope for the best, rejoice if the best shines through. Being real.

How is expecting something that is not realistic "being real"?

C'mon troll you need to step up your game.  This is looking pretty lame so far.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 12:51 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I like how you change what I wrote.

In the NFL i said it's very rare....can you name me even 5 players that have had the procedure and are back to 100%. 

Thanks.

Provide me a list of every NFL player who has had microfracture surgery and I will do the research to see which ones of them returned 100%.

Until then I will rely on the recent study that says 40% of athletes who receive the surgery return 100%.  Do you have any recent studies that show it is "very rare"?

You're welcome
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 12:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Provide me a list of every NFL player who has had microfracture surgery and I will do the research to see which ones of them returned 100%.

Until then I will rely on the recent study that says 40% of athletes who receive the surgery return 100%.  Do you have any recent studies that show it is "very rare"?

Thanks.

That is my point...in the NFL the procedure is very rare!!! And in the NBA the majority of players never get back to form!!!!!

For an attorney I thought you'd know how to read. Keep in mind I never said Burfict would not get back to form the only thing I think is that when he does it will probably be next season. As Revis and other NBA players have said this procedure takes a while usually 2 years before the player feels normal again.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 12:51 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I like how you change what I wrote.

Thanks.

Name 5 who had it and didn't get back to form.  Or even name 5 who had it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 12:56 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: That is my point...in the NFL the procedure is very rare!!! And in the NBA the majority of players never get back to form!!!!!

For an attorney I thought you'd know how to read.

I know how to read just fine.  

Post something that backs up your claim and I will read it.
Reply/Quote
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/10/in-microfracture-rehab-work-ethic-becomes-critical-for-clowney/

From December last year

Former NFL athletic trainer and current Sports Medicine Consultant for NBC’s Sunday Night Football Mike Ryan explained the surgery and the rehab on Wednesday’s PFT Live. It’s an understandable explanation of a complicated procedure that has come a long way in recent years. Previously a Hail Mary option to restore cartilage in a knee that lacked it, the microfracture process now has a much higher success rate — if the procedure goes well and the rehab occurs properly.

Clowney’s case also provides medical science with a chance to change the perception that the microfracture procedure is the proverbial kiss of death for a player’s career. Ryan said that many players have had the procedure but declined to disclose it, due to the belief that players who have had microfracture surgery will never be the same. Ryan said that many players have recovered completely, with some becoming Pro Bowlers after having the operation.
Reply/Quote
Amare Staudamire is a good example where you can come back and perform at the same level.

I would think that it is easier for football players too come back than basketball players....I think this because they play on a hard surface and are jumping up and down on their knees hundreds of times a game across an 82 game season. Sure it's not a contact sport....but I like Burfict's chances on full recovery....I just won't expect it until next year.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 01:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/10/in-microfracture-rehab-work-ethic-becomes-critical-for-clowney/

From December last year

Former NFL athletic trainer and current Sports Medicine Consultant for NBC’s Sunday Night Football Mike Ryan explained the surgery and the rehab on Wednesday’s PFT Live. It’s an understandable explanation of a complicated procedure that has come a long way in recent years. Previously a Hail Mary option to restore cartilage in a knee that lacked it, the microfracture process now has a much higher success rate — if the procedure goes well and the rehab occurs properly.

Clowney’s case also provides medical science with a chance to change the perception that the microfracture procedure is the proverbial kiss of death for a player’s career. Ryan said that many players have had the procedure but declined to disclose it, due to the belief that players who have had microfracture surgery will never be the same. Ryan said that many players have recovered completely, with some becoming Pro Bowlers after having the operation.
fredtoast--debunking myths pro bono.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 01:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/10/in-microfracture-rehab-work-ethic-becomes-critical-for-clowney/

From December last year

Secret surgeries with players being out for a year and nobody knowing about it! Sounds legit to me! The guy that your report refers to, Clowney, isn't having some epic season. He's had 1 sack through 6 games.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 12:47 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: This is arguably the worst surgery an athlete can have.  As others have noted it's very rare in the NFL and in the NBA most never get back to form.  The only thing Burfict has on his side is that he's fairly young when he had the procedure and could eventually get back to form. I don't think that will be this season (back to form meaning playing at an all-pro level).
Watch out CB!  They will start attacking you if you come across with any doubt................at least until they lose a couple games, then all the negative ridiculing and hate will rear its ugly head.......again! lol
Reply/Quote
Never mind that, he's officially back. Little cut. Time will tell.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 12:12 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Delight?  Since when is being real mean delightful?  Expect the worst, hope for the best.  

It's amazing how this karma, during the good times, is praised, but the same karma and looking for the positive, after a loss, or losses, turns into 'homer' bashing!

"Prepare for the worst... expect the best"

Fixed.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 01:14 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Secret surgeries with players being out for a year and nobody knowing about it! Sounds legit to me! The guy that your report refers to, Clowney, isn't having some epic season. He's had 1 sack through 6 games.

Really?

You honestly think that we fans get 100% of the information on all the procedures these players have?

But I guess it is possible that the Sports Medicine Consultant for NBC has a good reason to just make up a bunch of shit for no reason.  I just wonder how he is capable of making up such a lie when every fan already knows every medical procedure that a player gets.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2015, 01:19 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: "Prepare for the worst... expect the best"

Fixed.

I like that better!  Thanks JJ! Wink
Reply/Quote