Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mid-March Mock
From everything we've been hearing, the Bengals have spent about their whole amount they were planning for FA. Glenn and Eifert have eaten up about $20 mill of that cap space that must be allocated. Because of that, I don't see many starter-level FAs coming in to affect the draft too much.

21) Mike McGlinchey, OT Notre Dame - Bengals got their LT with the Glenn trade, but they could still turn to McGlinchey for RT purposes. I know many thought McGlinchey wasn't worth #12 overall, but I think everyone would agree he's worth #21. I think too that OT could be in play because both Ogbuehi and Fisher are entering their final year under contract.

46) Frank Ragnow, C/OG Arkansas - Prefer Price here instead if available, but let's assume he and Daniels are gone by 46. I've liked Ragnow since I started looking into 2018 prospects. He's well-rounded and his size makes it hard for DL to push him off the LOS. He also put up the 2nd-most reps at the Combine for C, which will appeal to the Bengals.

77) Duke Dawson, CB Florida - This CB class is DEEP. With so many good CBs, I can see Dawson falling to 3. He has the makings of a good starting nickel CB. Plus, Dawson gives insurance in case Dennard isn't extended and leaves in FA after this year.

100) Jessie Bates III, FS Wake Forest - Coverage safety that also can contribute in run support. I would expect he'd be depth originally but definitely has the potential to become a starter for a team needing a ball hawk.

112) Tyquan Lewis, DE Ohio St - Bengals need a depth pass rusher with Chris Smith gone. Lewis is solid both against the run and pass. Quality rotational player.

151) [b]Luke Falk, QB Washington St - [/b]Falk fits in well with the Bengals' offensive scheme of quick passes. Falk has incredible accuracy, a quick release, and goes through his progressions. He'd be a quality backup.

158) Mike McCray, LB Michigan - Candidate for SAM or backup MIKE. Good run stuffer that attacks downhill. Not a coverage guy.

170) Jaleel Scott, WR New Mexico St - I fully expect the Bengals to continue their trend of drafting some late-round sleeper WR to groom and compete for a final roster spot with Core.

249) Darrel Williams, RB LSU - Competition for Hill and Carson. Potentially goes to PS though.

252) Bruce Hector, DT USF - Sleeper backup 3T to compete for one of the final DL spots. Could easily see him on PS though.

253) Brett Toth, OT Army - PS candidate that I think will catch the eye of Pollack. Toth is strong in the run game but needs some work in the pass game.

EDIT - Changing around a few picks with Preston Brown addition. I think LB becomes less of a priority for the Bengals now even though Burfict is likely suspended for 4 games.
Jewell -> Bates III
Igwebuike -> McCray
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
When doing my mock I really considered McGlinchey at first spot to be starting right tackle and honestly it may be the best available pick for us. Personally I would prefer taking wynn in the first for guard center or tackle and then drafting a guy like brown, rankins, cappa, or one of the developmental guys to compete for right tackle. I however am bias because wynn may be my favorite prospect in this draft. if the guy was 2 inches taller he would be a top 5 pick

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Pretty good! Actually like your day 3 picks here. Jewell, Lewis, Falk and Scott.
Falk could be a steal, but he needs work and he has nothing but time to get better.
Jewell is better than people realize, he had a boatload of tackles this past season. You don't get those being a schlub!
Lewis can straight rush the passer and is good at tackling.
Scott is big and can scoot!
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 12:07 PM)Okeana Wrote: When doing my mock I really considered McGlinchey at first spot to be starting right tackle and honestly it may be the best available pick for us.  Personally I would prefer taking wynn in the first for guard center or tackle and then drafting a guy like brown, rankins, cappa, or one of the developmental guys to compete for right tackle.  I however am bias because wynn may be my favorite prospect in this draft.  if the guy was 2 inches taller he would be a top 5 pick

Would be fine with Wynn too, although I think McGlinchey would be better RT than him due to more length and experience at that position.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
We need more athleticism at LB that's why I don't like the LB selected but other than that good draft.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 12:25 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We need more athleticism at LB that's why I don't like the LB selected but other than that good draft.

Problem that I see though is that the Bengals actually do have athleticism at LB. Vigil, Evans, and Rey are all athletic. They can't stop the run, which was an even bigger problem. Plus, most of the athletic guys are WILLs, which this team has plenty of. Last, Jim O. said in his sub-forum that he expects the Bengals to look in the mid-rounds for a LB, which those LBs usually have flaws. I think you're underrating Jewell a bit based on his Combine performance. Dude has 6 INTs, 26 PBUs, 3 FFs, 9 sacks, and nearly 400 tackles from 2015-2017. You don't get that by being unathletic.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think Jewell is going to be a stud in the NFL at backer.  His numbers do not represent his ceiling and nose for the ball.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
linebacker is still not solved cuz u just have us drafting a bunch of role player type backers late who will end up like a marquis flowers nick vigil jordan evans paul dawson etc etc...nothing that solves our backer problem. nothing starter worthy in the afc north. not thanks here as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 11:13 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: linebacker is still not solved cuz u just have us drafting a bunch of role player type backers late who will end up like a marquis flowers nick vigil jordan evans paul dawson etc etc...nothing that solves our backer problem. nothing starter worthy in the afc north. not thanks here as well.

The starters are Preston Brown and Vontaze Burfict. Those are good starters. Bengals don’t need a 1st-Rd LB to play SAM. Bengals won’t go LB early, even with Burfict’s impending 4-game suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 12:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Problem that I see though is that the Bengals actually do have athleticism at LB. Vigil, Evans, and Rey are all athletic. They can't stop the run, which was an even bigger problem. Plus, most of the athletic guys are WILLs, which this team has plenty of. Last, Jim O. said in his sub-forum that he expects the Bengals to look in the mid-rounds for a LB, which those LBs usually have flaws. I think you're underrating Jewell a bit based on his Combine performance. Dude has 6 INTs, 26 PBUs, 3 FFs, 9 sacks, and nearly 400 tackles from 2015-2017. You don't get that by being unathletic.

u know fast athletic linebackers who can stop the run exist....just not in the damn late rounds which is where we keep grabbing linebackers.  Nothing but backups and special teamers.  edmunds can do both.  raquon smith can do both.  Rahsaan evans at 6'3 240 can do both but u have us waiting til the what 5th for mccray.  one dementional at that point in the draft dude.  u wanna stop the run...gotta invest at the linebacker spot.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 01:25 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: u know fast athletic linebackers who can stop the run exist....just not in the damn late rounds which is where we keep grabbing linebackers.  Nothing but backups and special teamers.  edmunds can do both.  raquon smith can do both.  Rahsaan evans at 6'3 240 can do both but u have us waiting til the what 5th for mccray.  one dementional at that point in the draft dude.  u wanna stop the run...gotta invest at the linebacker spot.

Fair, but Edmunds and Smith are very unlikely to be available at 21. Bengals won’t draft a LB in 1st to play SAM because SAM really just plays on run downs and only on field about 30% of snaps. And Bengals aren’t likely to move Preston Brown (who has played 1000+ defensive snaps each of the past 4 years) to SAM. And Bengals aren’t likely to move Burfict either.

So let’s flip this...
1) who would you want?
2) where would you have this draft pick play?

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 12:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The starters are Preston Brown and Vontaze Burfict. Those are good starters. Bengals don’t need a 1st-Rd LB to play SAM. Bengals won’t go LB early, even with Burfict’s impending 4-game suspension.

dude it isnt just the first four games that hes gonna miss and we are only gonna have preston brown.  but game to game that burfict is in he comes off the field alllllllllll the time and then hes always missing a game here and there and then hes always suspended. preston brown justin evans vincent rey and nick vigil is nowhere near good enough in the afc north with guys like alex collins carlos hyde and leveon bell.  other than brown we are filled with scrubs at backer.  burfict allthough great is incredibly unreliable .  for the first 4 games this season our run defense will be HOT garbage and not the same without burfict cuz our other backers are sooooooo bad.  preston brown will need help.  draft a guy like evans in the second and our defense will still be stout without burfict and then when he come back it will be dominant.   LINEBACKER IS STILL A MAJOR NEED....Vigil Justin evans vincent rey hahahahaha wtf
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 01:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Fair, but Edmunds and Smith are very unlikely to be available at 21. Bengals won’t draft a LB in 1st to play SAM because SAM really just plays on run downs and only on field about 30% of snaps. And Bengals aren’t likely to move Preston Brown (who has played 1000+ defensive snaps each of the past 4 years) to SAM. And Bengals aren’t likely to move Burfict either.

So let’s flip this...
1) who would you want?
2) where would you have this draft pick play?

why not Rashaan Evans he is a huge 6'3 240lb backer who can fly.  a ton of potential and can cover and stop the run.  he could allow us to run more 4-3 (although i favor the nickel)so we cant stop the run.  Which is what we want to do first last and always.  he is someone that with his speed and athletisicm he doesnt have to come off. and as soon as we lose burfict and we are stuck with preston brown and the rest of the scrubs we have at backer ull know why i want evans.  Hes a freak show. and burfict is always gone.  always.  and our defense suffers massivley and that is the heart and soul of this team...the defense.  I also like Darius Leonard from NC state.  With the sure tackler being signed yesterday in brown id love to bring ina guy like leonard in the third who again can fly around and make plays....reminds me of Telvin smith.  Just unleash him and let him lose.  Both can run with the tight ends and a can handle a slot guy fair enough with their speed and agility.   If we drafted Evans in the first why not go Billy Price or Daniels in the second and then maybe a Brian Oneil or Orlando brown here for ur right tackle spot in the 3rdnd be done with it.  If u wanna go Leonard inthe 3rd.  You could go Wynn in the first and and still either daniels or price in the second. Both ways land u a starting centeror guard and tackle and linebacker....all three day1 starters.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 01:45 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: dude it isnt just the first four games that hes gonna miss and we are only gonna have preston brown.  but game to game that burfict is in he comes off the field alllllllllll the time and then hes always missing a game here and there and then hes always suspended. preston brown justin evans vincent rey and nick vigil is nowhere near good enough in the afc north with guys like alex collins carlos hyde and leveon bell.  other than brown we are filled with scrubs at backer.  burfict allthough great is incredibly unreliable .  for the first 4 games this season our run defense will be HOT garbage and not the same without burfict cuz our other backers are sooooooo bad.  preston brown will need help.  draft a guy like evans in the second and our defense will still be stout without burfict and then when he come back it will be dominant.   LINEBACKER IS STILL A MAJOR NEED....Vigil Justin evans vincent rey hahahahaha wtf

I can see the Bengals being willing to go LB early if...
1) they don’t consider Brown more than a 1-year rental.
2) They get fed up enough with Burfict to trade/release him.

Otherwise, the Bengals will follow their trend of Day 3 LB (or 3rd rd at earliest) because they feel they have their main guys and are “comfortable” with Vigil, Rey, and Evans behind them. But what they don’t really have with their current LBs is a good SAM candidate. I picked McCray because I think he can play SAM and also will be available where the Bengals consider a LB. I’d obviously prefer a better LB, but I tried to make this more of a realistic mock.

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I love this Mock, was just going to do one very similar. Great job Ocho, cannot argue with any of the picks honestly. Rock On
Reply/Quote