Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midseason 2021 Mock
The Bengals have made an effort to acquire a couple new OL, both who have traditionally been good pass blockers on their previous teams.
Along with that, the offense is consistently scoring points but the defense is not stopping the opponent well enough.

I think it is a great opportunity to bring in someone Taylor is also familiar coaching with - Wade Phillips. Phillips runs a similar hybrid defense but it's primarily an aggressive 3-4 (or 5-2 if you want to call it that).

Below are the planned FA signings, and I have them fitting within the allotted cap space by giving more of a backloaded contract given 2021's cap is expected to drop about $25 mill.

Cap space = $45 mill (inc. rollover from 2020)

Re-sign WJ3, Carl Lawson, Quinton Spain, Brandon Wilson, Clark Harris, Kevin Huber, Mike Thomas, Leshaun Sims, Tony Brown, Margus Hunt
Total average yearly cost = $32 mill

FA:
Derek Wolfe (2 years, $6 mill) - With this defense seemingly more a 3-4, the Bengals need a true 3-4 DE. May as well bring in a guy who played for Phillips in DEN and also is a Cincinnati native.
Total average yearly cost = $3 mill

Cap remaining = $10 mill (just enough for draft picks + injuries)

Draft:
Bengals trade back with Miami and pick up their 2nd round pick. This is assuming Bengals end up around 10-12 and Miami ends up just missing playoffs, landing around 15-17.

1-TRADE) Carlos Basham Jr, DE Wake Forest
- Bengals get another true 3-4 DE to pair with veteran Derek Wolfe.

2) Jackson Carman, OT Clemson - Big dancing bear who would push for a starting role immediately. If the coaches want to keep Williams and Hart as the starters for 2021, Carman would be a great swing OT his rookie year and then take over a starting role in 2022.

2-TRADE) Derion Kendrick, CB Clemson - The Bengals are showing this year that they don't have great CB depth. Kendrick changed to DB from WR in 2019 and it has proven to be a good choice. He can continue to grow while playing behind WJ3, Waynes, and Phillips.

3) Joe Tryon, EDGE Washington - Versatile edge guy who plays in a hybrid defense as both a DE and OLB. I really like Tryon as a rotational pass rusher with Lawson and Hubbard out of the gate as he builds his run defense.

4) Anthony Schwartz, WR Auburn - Elite speed and quickness. This guy needs some more polish, but he could come in as the home run/deep threat WR4.

5) Jake Ferguson, TE Wisconsin - Well-rounded TE who I think fits into this offense well because of his versatility.

6) Talanoa Hufanga, SS USC - Quality backup SS who excels coming downhill and playing in the box. Should be a good ST guy.

7) JD Spielman, WR/RS TCU - Slot receiver and PR to replace Erickson.

7-SEA trade) Evan McPherson, K Florida - A kicker to compete with Seibert.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Another 34 End you should check out is Pittsburgh's Rashad Weaver. He didn't get alot of pre-season hype because he had an ACL injury in 2019. Weaver was disruptive in 2018 but has taken to a new level in 2020 he lives in the offensive backfield.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like some of your moves so I'll add my take on it:

- I think that a change is needed at Defensive co-ordinator, I prefer Jack Del Rio here.

1) Resigns- Huber, Bullock, Harris, Wilson, Lawson, Sims, M. Alexander, Spain, Thomas. I let WJIII walk he will command too much money and we have to fill other areas of need. so I look at @23 million here

2) Free Agents- Ryan Kerrigan (DE) and Kiko Alonzo (LB)- @7 million these guys will be role/situational players

3) Draft (1-5)

1) Patrick Surtain- CB- Alabama

2) Joe Tyron- DE Washington

3) Tyler Vrabel- OT Boston College

4) Glen Logan- DT LSU

5) TJ Vasser- WR Texas Tech
Reply/Quote