Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midseason Mock Draft
This year definitely hasn't gone the way we hoped. While there are plenty of games left, its hard for me to see us being very competitive going forward without #9. This mock is done with the thought that we end up picking pretty early. I believe this draft needs to be Offensive heavy. The early draft capital has been spent solely on Defense the last two years. It’s time for us to add some youth to the offensive side of the ball. 

Bengals Free Agent projections:

Tee Higgins Franchise tagged - I have more pause with this decision than ever before however I think Tyler Boyds time is up here and I can't imagine the Bengals letting both leave in the same offseason. That said I personally would be open to a tag and trade if we can make the financials work and the compensation is there. 

Tyler Boyd - Leaves - I appreciate everything Tyler has done for this franchise but I think we've naturally reached a point where it might be best for both parties to go our separate ways. This was prepared for last offseason with the pick of Charlie Jones. 

Jonah Williams - Leaves - Jonah has played some of his best football this year at RT. However I think his desire to play the left side combined with a weak OT Free Agent class equals Jonah getting way overpaid.

DJ Reader - Leaves - This is one I don't want to happen but I think will. The Bengals just don't like to resign guys approaching that 30 threshold and they showed last year after Von Bell left that no one is exempt to that rule even veteran leaders. 

Chidobe Awuzie - Leaves - Chido hasn't been quite as good this year coming off of injury. Like Tyler Boyd, I think this was prepared for by drafting DJ Turner in the second round. 

Drew Sample - Resigned - One of the best blocking tight ends that will be affordable. 

Tanner Hudson - Resigned - Tanner has been our best TE, he has more than earned a new contract

Coaching changes:
Frank Pollack fired - This is long overdue in my opinion. No he is not the only problem, but he is part of the problem and no one should get a pass this offseason. I'm all for Synric's idea of getting Sherrone Moore from Michigan

Round 1 Joe Alt OT Notre Dame
[Image: ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fnbc-sports-production...098809.jpg]
Again I'm sticking with an OT in Round 1. Alt is an absolute stud and really my main target if the bottom falls out and we end up in the top 10. The dude is a mountain and theres really nothing he doesn't do well. He does primarily play LT however he could more than handle the Right side. He would eventually play LT for us, the when depends on how Brown does in that spot. He has all the tools to become the best lineman we've had since Whitworth. 

Round 2 Jackson Powers-Johnson C Oregon
[Image: 11999166.jpg]
You're going to be hard pressed to find me making a mock draft this year that doesn't have back to back O-lineman. I understand that we don't have the best track record of drafting lineman. However, I think an argument could be made that we also don't do a good job of signing Free Agent lineman either. Regardless of how things have gone in our recent past, we can't afford to stop trying every avenue possible to improve the guys doing the most important job on the team, protecting the franchise. In this draft I take a slightly different approach to round 2. While, still an Offensive lineman, this time around we take the talented and versatile Jackson Powers-Johnson. Any time I've watched an Oregon game, Powers Johnson has stood out. Strong at the point of attack, he excels both in the running and passing game and has played both center and guard. In this scenario, JPJ could play one year at LG and then take over at center or we could move Karras over to left guard and slot JPJ in at Center right away. It's still early but I could see JPJ making a run at Sedrick Van Pran for the best center in this class.

Round 3 Nazir Stackhouse NT Georgia
[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fdawnofthedawg.com%2Fwp-con...94753.jpeg]
If its not clear yet. I really want to win at the line of scrimmage. I've watched us get dominated on both sides of the ball for the majority of the year, enoughs enough. DT is the biggest need on that side of the ball and with DJ Reader potentially leaving in Free Agency a new Nose Tackle is first up. There are 3 nose tackles that have caught my attention, in this one I go with Stackhouse. A large large human being who can command double teams and hold the line of scrimmage. 

Round 4 Jalin Conyers TE Arizona State
[Image: e63101dc-bc6a-47dc-a00d-e0d550f70fb2.siz...jpg?w=1000]
If you saw my first mock you know I'm a big fan of Conyers. I'm happy to hear the Bengals may be too with reports that they were scouting ASU practices. I'm just a big fan of his game. He plays on a terrible team but he is one of the few bright spots. His versatility is very intriguing. Conyers has even taken snaps at QB (he even technically started the game as QB1 against UCLA) and RB this season. He's had 27 receptions for 351 yards, 14 carries for 49 yards and has gone 5 of 6 passing. There are some opportunities to use him creatively. He would finally give us a young and talented TE for Burrow. 

Round 5 Cody Schrader RB Missouri
[Image: 18966952.jpeg]
We need a heir to Joe Mixon. I think everyone agrees the running back room needs some juice. Chase Brown is still an unknown but I have no faith in Williams or Evans. All this said, I find this RB class to be lacking overall. I've been looking for that guy that just pops off the screen. Cody Schrader is that guy. He reminds me of the Steelers Jaylen Warren. He runs hard and fast and isn't easy to bring down.

Round 6 Mike Sainristil CB Michigan
[Image: Michigan-football-vs-ECU-8579.jpg?w=1000...600&crop=1]
We'll need some more CB depth with Chido potentially leaving. The Bengals go back to the Michigan well for the secondary. 

Round 7 Jordan Travis QB Florida State
[Image: USATSI_21342572.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1]
Obviously a major story of this past week was the serious injury Jordan Travis suffered. He has made it known that his career as a Seminole is over. It is left to be seen wether he will continue on to the Pros. If he does, we could be an interesting landing spot where he could be a solid back up to Burrow once healed. 

Edit: Round 5 pick changed
Reply/Quote
I usually don't comment on how high someone has a player this way early in the mock season but damn JPJ very early second round woah lol. I like JPJ too actually have him in my mock. He has more physical talent than both Sedrick Van Pran and Zach Frazier but Oregon has bounced him around the Offensive Line and he's just now starting to get comfortable at Center.

He could be a late riser though with what at least 2 more games left (if he sits the Bowl) and like I said I think he tests well. Oh and with Underclassmen now allowed to take part in All-Star games we might see him in Mobile.

Edit: Oops might only be 1 game if Oregon State upsets Oregon.. I thought they had clinched the spot in the Pac 12 Championship but only Washington has.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I actually would love this if Reader is back, but I hope we use Free Agency on OL and draft a couple weapons early. I know
Joe Alt looks like a stud, but so did Jonah at Bama and he hasn't been a stud in the NFL just alright. Seems a bit early for
Powers-Johnson also as Synric noted. I do like the guy a lot.

Love the Stackhouse pick, I just think we have to bring back DJ Reader regardless. This would allow Stackhouse to develop
behind a leader for a year and bring him in slower than just throwing him into the fire as our only NT. I guess I like the Conyers
pick, absolutely love the Schrader pick, I think this guy could be great in the NFL, really impressive RB.

You think Sainristil will last to the 6th round? This dude has been playing great lately. Think he would go way before this.

Too bad with Jordan Travis injury in the last game. Damn good QB and would be all for welcoming him to the Bengals.

Good job WhoDeyK Cool
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 01:53 PM)Synric Wrote: I usually don't comment on how high someone has a player this way early in the mock season but damn JPJ very early second round woah lol. I like JPJ too actually have him in my mock. He has more physical talent than both Sedrick Van Pran and Zach Frazier but Oregon has bounced him around the Offensive Line and he's just now starting to get comfortable at Center.

He could be a late riser though with what at least 2 more games left (if he sits the Bowl) and like I said I think he tests well. Oh and with Underclassmen now allowed to take part in All-Star games we might see him in Mobile.

Edit: Oops might only be 1 game if Oregon State upsets Oregon.. I thought they had clinched the spot in the Pac 12 Championship but only Washington has.

Always appreciate your feedback Synric!

There’s some projection here with JPJ but I really don’t think it’s that far fetched. He came into the season as PFF’s highest rated returning guard, moved to Center to replace Alex Forsyth, where he’s started every game earning Midseason AP All American honors beating out Sedrick Van Pran. He was even PFF’s top pass blocking center at the mid way point with a 90.0. As I watch film JPJ just seems to be the best center prospect in the class and I suspect as you mentioned he will rise in the events leading up to the draft. Plus, I wanted to show off a slightly different approach to fixing the o line in this mock.

Any thoughts on the rest of it?
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 04:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I actually would love this if Reader is back, but I hope we use Free Agency on OL and draft a couple weapons early. I know
Joe Alt looks like a stud, but so did Jonah at Bama and he hasn't been a stud in the NFL just alright. Seems a bit early for
Powers-Johnson also as Synric noted. I do like the guy a lot.

Love the Stackhouse pick, I just think we have to bring back DJ Reader regardless. This would allow Stackhouse to develop
behind a leader for a year and bring him in slower than just throwing him into the fire as our only NT. I guess I like the Conyers
pick, absolutely love the Schrader pick, I think this guy could be great in the NFL, really impressive RB.

You think Sainristil will last to the 6th round? This dude has been playing great lately. Think he would go way before this.

Too bad with Jordan Travis injury in the last game. Damn good QB and would be all for welcoming him to the Bengals.

Good job WhoDeyK Cool

Thanks Nate! Always appreciate your support. I have to be honest, I think Joe Alt and Jonah Williams are incredibly different players. But I was never a big Jonah fan to begin with. Alt just has a rare blend of size and athleticism that Jonah just does not possess. I also think Alt has leadership qualities that Jonah lacks.

I agree with you about bringing back Reader. The best route would be to extend Reader even just by a year to mentor our new young NT. Maybe the Bengals take a different approach this year but I’m bracing for his departure.

I’m glad you like Schrader too. I’ve been disappointed in this RB class, I watch the tape and just feel meh about a lot of them. Then i watched Schrader and kept thinking who’s this guy. The pure determination he runs with is something we desperately need. He plays with passion and runs hard. I mentioned Warren in the mock but I also see a little Pacheco in him too.

Admittedly CB is the position I’ve watched the least. All these high round secondary players lately have me burnt out on that position. I was impressed with Mike and figured I’d throw him in with the Bengals love of Michigan DBs. There’s a very real chance he goes way higher than this
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2023, 12:09 AM)WhoDeyK Wrote: Thanks Nate! Always appreciate your support. I have to be honest, I think Joe Alt and Jonah Williams are incredibly different players. But I was never a big Jonah fan to begin with. Alt just has a rare blend of size and athleticism that Jonah just does not possess. I also think Alt has leadership qualities that Jonah lacks.

I agree with you about bringing back Reader. The best route would be to extend Reader even just by a year to mentor our new young NT. Maybe the Bengals take a different approach this year but I’m bracing for his departure.

I’m glad you like Schrader too. I’ve been disappointed in this RB class, I watch the tape and just feel meh about a lot of them. Then i watched Schrader and kept thinking who’s this guy. The pure determination he runs with is something we desperately need. He plays with passion and runs hard. I mentioned Warren in the mock but I also see a little Pacheco in him too.

Admittedly CB is the position I’ve watched the least. All these high round secondary players lately have me burnt out on that position. I was impressed with Mike and figured I’d throw him in with the Bengals love of Michigan DBs. There’s a very real chance he goes way higher than this

You are welcome brother. Have to say I completely agree with you about Alt, dude looks for real. Just our luck with OL he would suck 
with the Bengals lol

Schrader is special, you can tell when you watch him play. Like you said, he runs with passion and crazy effort. Great vision, hands, burst
and is hard to tackle because he is low to the ground and has great balance. I haven't watched him pass protect much, but with the way 
he works his ass off I bet he would be good at this as well.

We do love Michigan DB's, I just think Sainristil will go in the mid rounds at the latest. Granted I haven't studied up on where all these 
players are ranked in the rounds yet as it is so early. Would love to get Sainristil and love this mock if it goes this way. I would just think 
it would me a monumental mistake to let Reader go. I know he is approaching 30, but he is still a really good run stopper and we don't 
have a replacement for him and Stackhouse would take time.

Both Tupou and Reader are on the last year of their deals. I think we extend Reader for a couple years, at least I sure hope so.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2023, 05:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You are welcome brother. Have to say I completely agree with you about Alt, dude looks for real. Just our luck with OL he would suck 
with the Bengals lol

Schrader is special, you can tell when you watch him play. Like you said, he runs with passion and crazy effort. Great vision, hands, burst
and is hard to tackle because he is low to the ground and has great balance. I haven't watched him pass protect much, but with the way 
he works his ass off I bet he would be good at this as well.

We do love Michigan DB's, I just think Sainristil will go in the mid rounds at the latest. Granted I haven't studied up on where all these 
players are ranked in the rounds yet as it is so early. Would love to get Sainristil and love this mock if it goes this way. I would just think 
it would me a monumental mistake to let Reader go. I know he is approaching 30, but he is still a really good run stopper and we don't 
have a replacement for him and Stackhouse would take time.

Both Tupou and Reader are on the last year of their deals. I think we extend Reader for a couple years, at least I sure hope so.

Lol totally understand that. We've been snake bitten lately with drafting o line for sure. I do however feel like this could be the draft to get us out of this rut. I just feel like there are a lot of solid prospects at the top of this class. Alts my favorite but I'd be happy with several others as well.

In addition to just running the ball, I could easily see Schrader becoming that clutch check down guy who turns something into nothing. We've sorely missed that this year. His pass blocking is pretty solid. He gives a lot of effort there and thats half the battle. 

Hopefully we can work something out with Reader. Stating a rookie NT isn't my favorite plan but if it ends up being reality, I hope we could get one of Sweat, Corleone or Stackhouse. I think they are the closest to plug and play you can find in this draft. Obviously none will play at the level Reader does right of the bat. We could also use a 3 tech too but I couldn't fit one into this draft with not including the projected comps.

I think the lines definitely need to be the priority this year.
Reply/Quote