Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midway Mock Draft
What I think the Bengals will do based on trends over the years..

1) Corey Coleman, WR/KR Baylor (5'10", 190 lb) - Coleman is a dynamic playmaker that runs good routes and can take the top off the defense. He is also a fantastic KR.

2) Shawn Oakman, DE Baylor (6'8", 276 lb) - The second round is typically when the Bengals pick someone whom they consider a first round talent that has fallen and/or is raw. Right now, Oakman is being projected in the second, but has the size and raw talent to be a beast. His current drop in projection is likely due to him not performing to the same level as he did last year, being labeled as inconsistent. With Hunt being constantly made inactive, the team takes another monster DE with insane measurables and raw talent to try and mold into what Hunt was supposed to become.

3) Austin Johnson, NT Penn St (6'3", 325 lb) - Johnson has been doing well for PSU. He has great size to replace one of Sims or Peko next year. He is great at stuffing the run, taking on double teams, and this year is even getting sacks (5.5 to date). At this spot, it feels like when the Bengals would select a NT with great upside.

4) Cassanova McKinzy, ILB Auburn (6'2", 253 lb) - A LB like McKinzy feels like a Bengal pick. Good size, stout against the run, good at taking on and shedding blocks, physical, aggressive, and some coverage limitations. Plus the Bengals seem to take LBs around this time or later.

5) Evan Boehm, C/OG Mizzou (6'3", 320 lb) - Boehm is a big, strong guy that is good at the point of attack. Seeing as the Bengals will likely be stubborn with Bodine, Boehm offers quality depth at both C and OG, providing an upgrade at least over TJ Johnson.

6) Kevin Byard, S Middle Tennessee St (5'11", 226 lb) - This could be a diamond in the rough. Byard has the size of a SS with the ball hawking and loose hips of a FS. He has 17 INTs to date with two coming this season (1 vs Alabama, 1 vs Vanderbilt). With Nelson and/or Iloka likely departing, Byard could be a great addition to this secondary with the potential to one day emerge a solid starter.

7) Frankie Williams, CB/PR Purdue (5'9", 190 lb) - While very short, Williams has very fluid hips, is aggressive in the run game, and can make big plays when he gets a hand on the ball. He is also an accomplished punt returner.

Two picks I would change if it were me...
2) Nick Martin, C Notre Dame (6'4", 302 lb) - I think that C should be a higher priority than the Bengals will likely select one (if at all). Bodine is the weakest part of our starting OL. Nick Martin would finally give the Bengals a dominant C they haven't had since Rich Braham.
5) Bronson Kaufusi, DE BYU (6'6", 265 lb) - 7.5 TFL, 6.5 sacks, 1 INT - Kaufusi is a consistent performer that can get after the QB and also knock down passes at the line. His size is also something that should fit the type of end that the Bengals prefer.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
2016 has a plethora of UFA defense. Hall, Pacman, Nelson, Iloka, Vinnie Rey, Lamur, Gilberry, Thompson, Sims

Even if the Bengals extend some of these contracts, the defense is aging mightily. Pacman (32), Nelson (32), Hawk (31), Peko (31), Hall (30), Sims (30), Gilberry (30)

In your preferred mock, you would select two offensive players in the first two rounds.

2016 - 1st & 2nd offense
2015 - 1st (Ogbuehi), 2nd (Fisher), & 3a (Kroft)
2014 - 2nd round Hill
2013 - 1st Eifert & 2a Gio
2012 - 1b Zeitler
2011 - 1st (Green), 2nd (Dalton), & 4th (Boling)

If the Bengals extend Marvin Jones & let Sanu walk (if he doesn't accept a modest contract), how difficult would it be to replace Sanu's production? In 11 games, Sanu has averaged 29.7 yards per game with 25 catches on 37 targets for 327 yards, 0 TDs & 13 first downs. He has also ran 4 times for 41 yards with 1 TD. http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/cin

I agree the Bengals need more speed at WR; I just would look for a fast receiver later in the draft. The Bengals drafted a speedy PR/KR in Mario Alford in 2015. Here is the replacement for Brandon Tate.

Go defense in the 1st (NT, CB, LB, S). Grab a Center in the 2nd.

I like the idea of grabbing another 1st round WR, but the Bengals already have the 4th best scoring offense, 7th best yards/game, 4th best run ypg, and 12 best passing ypg.
Conversely, on defense, we are 15th in ypg, 17th in passing ypg, & 13th in run ypg. Yes, 1st in points per game. IMO, this is padding by Browns (10), Texans (10), & Rams (7) games. Along with decimated Chiefs (21), Bills (21), & injured Big Ben (10).
Reply/Quote