Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Mike Brown Postgame AFC Championship Bugged Me
I applaud Mike Brown for giving up control and spending money or doing whatever he needed to do to get this team to the Super Bowl, but one thing bugged me as soon as he said it.

I didn't post this at the time because I didn't want to bring negative energy to the boards or bring the boards down, but, in the postgame interview of the AFC Championship win, Mike Brown gives credit to the all the coaches and players, but then he talks about how we played some close games and says "any one of those teams could be where I am right now."

I was immediately thinking "you didn't do shit!"

Here's the link because I can't tell if it posted the video.

It's around 34 seconds and it just bugged me because it because it was like "all these years of you being a tight ass and pretty much screwing the fans of Cincinnati and now you're trying to take the credit for what this AMAZING team did?"

That's especially true when you consider the beating Joe took and all the plays he made with no offensive line because YOU didn't provide him with one.

When it flashes to Joe Burrow's face, it looks like he's thinking the same thing.

Like I said, I know he had to feel amazing after three decades of failure and it might just have been a slip of the tongue because he was caught up in the moment, but it has bugged the hell out of me.

Am I the only one that noticed that?
Reply/Quote
I dislike that old donkey as much as anyone but this is a nothing burger. He was just crediting the teams and said “I” because the trophy was in his hands and the mic was in his face. His Scottie Smalls ball cap is more egregious than his words anyway.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 05:59 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I dislike that old donkey as much as anyone but this is a nothing burger. He was just crediting the teams and said “I” because the trophy was in his hands and the mic was in his face. His Scottie Smalls ball cap is more egregious than his words anyway.

Hilarious

Fair enough. I hope you're right. 

I just think all the players, coaches, and even fans would have loved it if he said "there's 31 other teams and fans that would give anything to be where WE are right now!"
Reply/Quote
He was crediting all the teams that fought us tooth and nail and nearly won. He was being a gracious winner, not something you see often. He wasn’t being selfish or saying HE did this. How many bengals fans would have been up there mouthing off or calling the teams we beat overrated (which never made sense to me after a win- they should say their team was underrated not the other way around which takes away from your teams win) if they were where HE was that night. Hate Mike brown all you want but to bash him for that is overboard. I appreciated seeing someone with some class up there, even if he’s sucked as an owner/GM for 3 decades.

He was right, any one of the teams we beat could have been right where HE was (on stage for the championship presentation). When you win say nothing, when you lose say less. That’s how Mike is and I like it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ha. I also cringed when he said that. He may have wanted it to come across differently but it was definitely a Freudian slip into his real thoughts. He's probably past the age where he should be speaking in public.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 06:29 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Ha. I also cringed when he said that. He may have wanted it to come across differently but it was definitely a Freudian slip into his real thoughts. He's probably past the age where he should be speaking in public.

Glad I wasn't the only one ThumbsUp

On a brighter note, congrats for thinking like someone that has a traumatic brain injury!

Hilarious

When did he develop a lisp? I know he never did many public appearances and that would definitely be an explanation of why, but I never heard him speak with one in all the years that he did speak in public.
Reply/Quote
The trophies are always given to the owner first. He was just saying that the owner of the other team could have been there accepting the trophy instead of him. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 05:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I applaud Mike Brown for giving up control and spending money or doing whatever he needed to do to get this team to the Super Bowl, but one thing bugged me as soon as he said it.

I didn't post this at the time because I didn't want to bring negative energy to the boards or bring the boards down, but, in the postgame interview of the AFC Championship win, Mike Brown gives credit to the all the coaches and players, but then he talks about how we played some close games and says "any one of those teams could be where I am right now."

It's around 34 seconds and it just bugged me because it because it was like "all these years of you being a tight ass and pretty much screwing the fans of Cincinnati and now you're trying to take the credit for what this AMAZING team did?"

That's especially true when you consider the beating Joe took and all the plays he made with no offensive line because YOU didn't provide him with one.

When it flashes to Joe Burrow's face, it looks like he's thinking the same thing.

Like I said, I know he had to feel amazing after three decades of failure and it might just have been a slip of the tongue because he was caught up in the moment, but it has bugged the hell out of me.

another over the top rant on Mike.. he said anyone one of those teams could be where "I" am , meaning up on the damn stadium celebrating a great win for the organization.. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 06:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Glad I wasn't the only one ThumbsUp

On a brighter note, congrats for thinking like someone that has a traumatic brain injury!

Hilarious

When did he develop a lisp? I know he never did many public appearances and that would definitely be an explanation of why, but I never heard him speak with one in all the years that he did speak in public.

He’s always spoken like that.

And as mentioned above, “where I am now” means on stage with the trophy.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Eh...I wouldn't read too much into his words.
Reply/Quote
Old man was being gracious.
Reply/Quote
What did his Dad say about winning?
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 06:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The trophies are always given to the owner first. He was just saying that the owner of the other team could have been there accepting the trophy instead of him. 

(02-19-2022, 07:52 PM)michaelsean Wrote: He’s always spoken like that.

And as mentioned above, “where I am now” means on stage with the trophy.

(02-19-2022, 08:27 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Old man was being gracious.

(02-19-2022, 08:59 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: What did his Dad say about winning?

^^^All of this!

The comments on Mike Brown’s brief, humble AFC Championship speech have been nearly universally positive — even on YouTube whose comments sections are not known for positivity.

Fans of other teams came to respect Mikey Boy as a gracious gentleman which, if you’ve ever met him, you know he is.

I’ll take Mike Brown, ancient baseball cap and all, over the Falcons’ barely sane Arthur Blank, that arrogant blowhole Jerry Jones in Dallas, or Robert “Rub and Tug” Kraft in New England. Compared to those jerks he’s a saint.

Those of us who follow the Bengals closely know Mike has been cheap and stubborn but that’s in the past. Let’s celebrate our playoff success and congratulate Mike because this is the first successful playoff run he’s accomplished since his father Paul passed away.

Besides, Mikey Boy is all about protecting Joe Burrow now. Free agency is going to be fun.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 05:59 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I dislike that old donkey as much as anyone but this is a nothing burger. He was just crediting the teams and said “I” because the trophy was in his hands and the mic was in his face. His Scottie Smalls ball cap is more egregious than his words anyway.

Well said LOL

Mike Brown has never been one to, as he would put it in his old-timey parlance, 'toot my own horn.'  So, I give him the benefit of the doubt as to the words he chose and the message he was trying to convey.  He handled it much more gracefully than I would I have.  l would have invited Clark Hunt and the entire Chiefs fanbase to go eat a bag of dicks and then spiked the trophy mid-field.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 09:16 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: ^^^All of this!

The comments on Mike Brown’s brief, humble AFC Championship speech have been nearly universally positive — even on YouTube whose comments sections are not known for positivity.

Fans of other teams came to respect Mikey Boy as a gracious gentleman which, if you’ve ever met him, you know he is.

I’ll take Mike Brown, ancient baseball cap and all, over the Falcons’ barely sane Arthur Blank, that arrogant blowhole Jerry Jones in Dallas, or Robert “Rub and Tug” Kraft in New England.  Compared to those jerks he’s a saint.  

Those of us who follow the Bengals closely know Mike has been cheap and stubborn but that’s in the past.  Let’s celebrate our playoff success and congratulate Mike because this is the first successful playoff run he’s accomplished since his father Paul passed away.

Besides, Mikey Boy is all about protecting Joe Burrow now.  Free agency is going to be fun.

"Stubborn and cheap in the past" - he has been criminally inept in the past.

He may be a better guy than Blank, Jones, and Kraft; he is still by far the worst owner in modern league history as to providing resources to help his team win. Never had a GM, tiniest scouting dept, 2.2 acre goat pasture practice field under a highway bridge, etc.

I am grateful Mike kept the club in Cincy, I am grateful Mike turned much of the operation over to Katie. I'd be more grateful if he gave up total control, especially in the draft. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 06:17 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: He was crediting all the teams that fought us tooth and nail and nearly won. He was being a gracious winner, not something you see often. He wasn’t being selfish or saying HE did this. How many bengals fans would have been up there mouthing off or calling the teams we beat overrated (which never made sense to me after a win- they should say their team was underrated not the other way around which takes away from your teams win) if they were where HE was that night. Hate Mike brown all you want but to bash him for that is overboard. I appreciated seeing someone with some class up there, even if he’s sucked as an owner/GM for 3 decades.

He was right, any one of the teams we beat could have been right where HE was (on stage for the championship presentation). When you win say nothing, when you lose say less. That’s how Mike is and I like it.

If Jerry Jones was up there he would be like this:

[Image: snLplqq.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 06:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: On a brighter note, congrats for thinking like someone that has a traumatic brain injury!

DingDing
Reply/Quote
Pretty sure he was referring to the stage. As in "those teams could be standing where I am"...which was on that stage.

He was just giving credit to those other teams we faced. Classy. I wouldn't have said it the *way* Mike did, because he made it sound like it was a coin flip random thing that got us there, rather than being the better team.

That said, I appreciate sportsmanship, and don't agree he was making it about himself.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The expression, Necessity is the mother of invention does not apply here. Maybe Unnecessary picking on pronouns is really lame does..  Just a thought..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 05:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I applaud Mike Brown for giving up control and spending money or doing whatever he needed to do to get this team to the Super Bowl, but one thing bugged me as soon as he said it.

You're reaching...
Reply/Quote