Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Brown Revealed (from 2009)
(09-28-2017, 08:16 PM)WildCat Wrote: still sickens me that hamilton county made that deal. after enduring the 90's under mike brown, i honestly just wanted him to go ahead and move the team. i'd rather be a chiefs fan right now, the memories with my father will disallow me to do that.

To be fair, no one has accused Hamilton county of being brilliant with taxpayers money.

Even today they want 300+ million to renovate US Bank arena, even though there isnt a team to use it. When at same time a new up and coming team gaining a lot of fans and steam, FC Cincinnati, might move to Newport if they build them a stadium for probably half that.

But that deal back then was shady af. Who was the one guy that negotiated the deal on Hamilton county's side, only to go work for the Bengals in later years. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 11:12 PM)Millhouse Wrote: To be fair, no one has accused Hamilton county of being brilliant with taxpayers money.

Even today they want 300+ million to renovate US Bank arena, even though there isnt a team to use it. When at same time a new up and coming team gaining a lot of fans and steam, FC Cincinnati, might move to Newport if they build them a stadium for probably half that.

But that deal back then was shady af. Who was the one guy that negotiated the deal on Hamilton county's side, only to go work for the Bengals in later years. 

That would be Bob Bedinghaus. 
Reply/Quote
Wow !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 11:43 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: That would be Bob Bedinghaus. 

Yup him. And he is still with the Bengals as Director of Business Development I saw on Bengals website. 

Just found this that Jim O wrote, as he included him on the Bengals 50 stuff they were writing back in the summer.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/06/27/cincinnati-bengals-50-bob-bedinghaus/366631001/
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 12:18 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Yup him. And he is still with the Bengals as Director of Business Development I saw on Bengals website. 

Just found this that Jim O wrote, as he included him on the Bengals 50 stuff they were writing back in the summer.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/06/27/cincinnati-bengals-50-bob-bedinghaus/366631001/

Bedinghaus negotiated what is arguably the worst stadium deal in the NFL on behalf of the people he represented. Why the **** would the Bengals hire such a shitty negotiator to negotiate business deals for them? #Inside job.
Reply/Quote
Whatevers going on down there, one thing is for sure, we're getting ripped off. The Brown family is continuing to get rich meanwhile we havent won jack shit.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 07:28 PM)McC Wrote: Reinforces what we already knew--he is a rotten bastard. We won't win a SB in the next 50 years either.

If we truely feel this way why do we even watch?
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 07:47 AM)Housh Wrote: If we truely feel this way why do we even watch?

I can only speak for me.  I was a fan before Mike took over.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
The most maddening thing about it all is that the guy has this level of greed yet doesn't even spend it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 08:00 AM)McC Wrote: I can only speak for me.  I was a fan before Mike took over.

You're speaking for me too. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2017, 06:12 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Do you think Katie has learned to be this way? Or do you think she's comfortable with maybe making less in an effort to win football games?

I honestly don't know. I hope that she will be different, but after all the years she's watched her father pull this shit, who knows. She's definitely been learning from the best on how to fleece a city for TONS of money without every having to do anything in return.
Reply/Quote
There are no checks and balances in place for the Bengals. They bought those out.

The be able to pay $200 million cash in 2011 to buy up the remaining shares says a lot about their finances.

Of course they make a lot of money with revenue sharing in the NFL. And yet fans say 'Zeitler got overpaid.' It came down to paying Zeitler...or Bengals profit. You're saying 'Let our talented players leave if they cost so much as I want the Bengals to have that money as profit.'
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 08:01 AM)McC Wrote: The most maddening thing about it all is that the guy has this level of greed yet doesn't even spend it.

ThumbsUp

Nobody would give a hoot about the shitty stadium deal, lack of practice facility, etc if they'd just act like they want to build a Super Bowl winner. 

Matter of fact, it would probably be even more profitable for him. Just amazing, honestly. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 11:04 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: I honestly don't know. I hope that she will be different, but after all the years she's watched her father pull this shit, who knows. She's definitely been learning from the best on how to fleece a city for TONS of money without every having to do anything in return.

In this article, Brown says that it's Katie and Marvin running the show...which essentially would mean that she's running the same way as him. Letting free agents walk if they want too much money in favor of Comp picks, etc.:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/23/mike-brown-says-marvin-lewis-katie-blackburn-now-run-the-team/

Who knows though really?

In a last year of a contract I doubt Marvin wanted Whitworth and Zeitler to leave.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 11:23 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There are no checks and balances in place for the Bengals. They bought those out.

The be able to pay $200 million cash in 2011 to buy up the remaining shares says a lot about their finances.

Of course they make a lot of money with revenue sharing in the NFL. And yet fans say 'Zeitler got overpaid.' It came down to paying Zeitler...or Bengals profit. You're saying 'Let our talented players leave if they cost so much as I want the Bengals to have that money as profit.'

Hooray for the Cincinnati Banksters! .......shouted no football fan ever. Whatever

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 12:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In this article, Brown says that it's Katie and Marvin running the show...which essentially would mean that she's running the same way as him. Letting free agents walk if they want too much money in favor of Comp picks, etc.:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/23/mike-brown-says-marvin-lewis-katie-blackburn-now-run-the-team/

Who knows though really?

In a last year of a contract I doubt Marvin wanted Whitworth and Zeitler to leave.

Maybe she is running things but she's reticent to do things differently than her father while he's still around.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 12:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Maybe she is running things but she's reticent to do things differently than her father while he's still around.

Then she's not showing good leadership or not really in charge is she? Either way...that's not ideal.

How could she know how to do things different? The family members in the front office have spent no time in outside NFL organizations. There is no way they could learn to do things different.

The big question: IF an NFL GM job opened up, do you think that Katie Blackburn would get consideration from a team other than the Bengals? ie Would another NFL owner pay her to come in and run the franchise?
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 12:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Maybe she is running things but she's reticent to do things differently than her father while he's still around.

Yeah, it's hard to know exactly how she'll roll until Mike is out of the way. She said this a couple months back:

“My dad always had good principles which is part of why regardless of what was said if you understood the principles you had to feel good about the way he approached things,” Katie said. “That’s probably a little bit why I’m more of a consensus builder.

“At the end of the day, my dad is absolutely more about ‘I’m going to do the right thing for the right reason regardless of how it is going to be portrayed’ even if it isn’t portrayed exactly how it’s put together in his mind. Probably, I’m a little more of a ‘let’s step back and think about how this will be (portrayed) and step back and include that piece.’ For him, he wasn’t’ afraid of that part of it."
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 12:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, it's hard to know exactly how she'll roll until Mike is out of the way. She said this a couple months back:

“My dad always had good principles which is part of why regardless of what was said if you understood the principles you had to feel good about the way he approached things,” Katie said. “That’s probably a little bit why I’m more of a consensus builder.[/size]

“At the end of the day, my dad is absolutely more about ‘I’m going to do the right thing for the right reason regardless of how it is going to be portrayed’ even if it isn’t portrayed exactly how it’s put together in his mind. Probably, I’m a little more of a ‘let’s step back and think about how this will be (portrayed) and step back and include that piece.’ For him, he wasn’t’ afraid of that part of it."

A consensus builder? The front office is mainly family members. It's rampant with Groupthink.

Even Marvin and Alexander are practically family members after being here for what 13-14 years? And like 23-24 years in Alexander's case.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 12:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A consensus builder? The front office is mainly family members. It's rampant with Groupthink.

Pretty much.

This quote is from 20 years ago - 2 freakin' decades - and it still hasn't happened...

''Maybe make a guy a director of football operations and give him some quasi autonomy,'' said Dave Lapham, a former Bengal who is the club's radio analyst. ''Get somebody who has a different perspective, a different look who may not have the same goals and objectives.''

Outside of Mike, who in the front office truly has the autonomy, or even semi-autonomy, that Lap talked about? And, I sure as hell haven't seen any signs of a 'different' perspective. The 'model' remains the same year after year, although it continues to fail to produce the desired end result. That's the most frustrating thing to continually watch -- refusal to change the approach.
Reply/Quote