Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Brown Revealed (from 2009)
I saw enough of Katie's approach to negotiating Andre Smith's rookie deal during Hard Knocks to know the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. The way she tried to low ball Smith's agent even though he was essentially slotted by the player's contracts drafted before and after him gives me little hope things will change.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 12:56 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I saw enough of Katie's approach to negotiating Andre Smith's rookie deal during Hard Knocks to know the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. The way she tried to low ball Smith's agent even though he was essentially slotted by the player's contracts drafted before and after him gives me little hope things will change.

Katie was also the driving factor in Marvin's return after the 2010 season. Mike and Marvin had both walked away from the table. It was Katie that stepped in and got the deal done, and I think she continues to be a big reason- along with Mike's natural reluctance to make changes - that Marvin keeps getting extensions. Marvin has been 'her guy' since day 1.
Reply/Quote
http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/sports-3/inheritance/

Pay particular attention to shares and profits.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 01:06 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Katie was also the driving factor in Marvin's return after the 2010 season. Mike and Marvin had both walked away from the table. It was Katie that stepped in and got the deal done, and I think she continues to be a big reason- along with Mike's natural reluctance to make changes - that Marvin keeps getting extensions. Marvin has been 'her guy' since day 1.

Yes. Probably an ego investment of sorts in that if Marvin fails to win and is fired it makes their decision to hire him the wrong one.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 01:11 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/sports-3/inheritance/

This was a good (in a depressing kind of way) read. It sounds like nothing will change in regards to how this team is ran. We have to hope we luck into one.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 01:11 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/sports-3/inheritance/

Add to that the epic tales of the franchise’s miserliness—charging players for breakfast at the stadium; taking agents out to lunch at Wendy’s when negotiating player contracts; providing such low-quality locker room towels that in the mid-’90s, running back Ki-Jana Carter paid out of his own pocket to replace the team linens—and limited charitable involvement in the community. The criticism never appeared to bother Mike Brown. This is the man who once chuckled after fans lowered a sign in front of the owner’s box at Riverfront Stadium that read, “If it’s Brown flush it down.” Worst of all, in the eyes of many, was the lopsided lease agreement the team struck with Hamilton County in 1996 to build Paul Brown Stadium. After cynically threatening to relocate the Bengals to a new city, launching an all-points PR campaign to simultaneously scare and cajole the voters, and hiring a legal team that ran circles around the county’s own counsel, they (and we) got what The Wall Street Journal famously dubbed “one of the worst professional sports deals ever struck by a local government.” In subsequent years, the Brown family’s reputation has not been burnished by their inflexibility in dealings with the county over various terms and covenants in the lease, despite substantial blows to the local economy that were beyond the county’s control.

That's crazy!
Reply/Quote
I kind of look at their loyalty to people as bad in some ways.

I'm a manager and if I have an employee not performing it reflects on me. If I'm like 'Bob is terrible at his job...but a really nice person. I need to let him continue to be terrible.' then eventually I'm the one that looks bad.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 02:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I kind of look at their loyalty to people as bad in some ways.

I'm a manager and if I have an employee not performing it reflects on me. If I'm like 'Bob is terrible at his job...but a really nice person. I need to let him continue to be terrible.' then eventually I'm the one that looks bad.

Right, everyone is pissed at Bob for having to pick up his slack and pissed at you for not firing his sorry ass.  Can totally relate, we have a similar issue at my office right now.  Everyone knows and it's dragging morale down.   

You shouldn't keep a HC because you feel comfortable with him and don't want to go looking for someone else to hire.  If the results on the field mean so damn little to you, and one might reasonably suggest the last 26 years sorta hint that's the case, then sell the team to someone who does care about winning and give the money to your family.  Everybody wins, especially us.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 10:15 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Right, everyone is pissed at Bob for having to pick up his slack and pissed at you for not firing his sorry ass.  Can totally relate, we have a similar issue at my office right now.  Everyone knows and it's dragging morale down.   

You shouldn't keep a HC because you feel comfortable with him and don't want to go looking for someone else to hire.  If the results on the field mean so damn little to you, and one might reasonably suggest the last 26 years sorta hint that's the case, then sell the team to someone who does care about winning and give the money to your family.  Everybody wins, especially us.

I really think your 2nd paragraph is why Marvin is here. He's a company guy that operates under the structure the Browns put in place.

Also, he's had way better results than the 90's. Above average is better than Terrible in their mind.

That said...there's no way they retain him with his contract up after this season

If you're Marvin...I think you either retire or go coach another team if one wants you.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 10:15 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Right, everyone is pissed at Bob for having to pick up his slack and pissed at you for not firing his sorry ass.  Can totally relate, we have a similar issue at my office right now.  Everyone knows and it's dragging morale down.   

The Brown family will never sell.  The team is their entitlement, the golden goose, the thing they never earned, a big toy to play with that can never lose money, no matter how badly they ever screw it up.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Everything's a rich mans trick..watch the YouTube video by the same title and you'll see just how much the public is manipulated into almost anything including being willing to die to keep the rich rich.. 
The entire kneeling during the anthem was another trick to stir up a phony controversy. 
Many of you probably believe soldiers go off to war to defend freedom, the flag and some crappy song, but the reality is these wars and so on are designed ahead of time to protect the absurd wealth of a handful of people. 
Even Hitler rose to power at the behest of some very prominent US citizens and the monarchies of Europe because they saw what happened to Russian royals and didn't want to have to face the public who would have taken each and every one of them out to be shot dead.. 
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Enter one Mike Brown.
It would be great if the voting public would stop voting against their own best interests, but that just doesn't happen. The very rich control the media and they're not about to start telling us to vote for things that benefit us. Instead they'll tell you that they'll be forced to close up shop and go out of business and fire everyone. 
The next time you hear THAT bullshit just ask yourself when was the last rich guy ever willing to not be rich for your benefit? Answer: NEVER     
Reply/Quote