Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Season Thoughts and Offseason Plan
First season as a season ticket holder and holy shit what an amazing season this was. It has taken a couple days to shake the loss off because that seemed like a game the Bengals should have won. Even after the penalties it seemed like it was the beginning of the Burrow Super Bowl Champion Legacy drive upcoming. It didn't end the way we all wanted it to end but thankfully there is always hope. The hope doesn't seem as far fetched this year as it did just a few years prior. This team has the money available to shore up the weaknesses and make a real run at this thing again next year.

Must retain: Jessie Bates (no brainer), CJ Uzomah is a must just for leadership and overall solid play we have seen from him lately, I love both Larry Ogunjobi and BJ Hill but this feels like a situation where the Bengals offer both guys the same contract and whoever takes it first is who they role with as the starter beside Reader, I also would love to see the Bengals re-sign Tre Flowers. He won't be a starting CB but his value on Special Teams and ability to matchup with guys like Kelce, Andrews, etc.. is a skillset I wouldn't let walk out the door. There will be other guys they will bring back but these 4/5 are the guys I go after first.

My personal Free Agency thoughts: Some people will stop reading once I say that Terron Armstead is great and all but I just don't see it as a realistic option. He is the top of the top in Free Agency and even though he is an incredible player I cannot see them spending what it would command in both salary and guaranteed money. Jessie Bates is basically our Tier 1 Free Agent signing. There are several guys that interest me in the Tier 2 range to improve the line. James Daniels played really well at Right Guard to end the year for the Bears and is going to be 24 years old still when the season begins. The upside/talent could lock down that spot for years to come. Connor Williams is another younger player that has experience as a starting Guard in the NFL. He seems to be on the rise as well and I think finding guys like this will be very important. Young guys with talent and experience on the rise similar to what we found in Hendrickson, Awuzie, Hilton this year. A Veteran at Right Tackle on a 2 year deal also makes sense. I would look at Trent Brown and Morgan Moses as guys that are proven RIGHT Tackles. I do not think the Bengals want to have to shuffle guys around and that is another reason I do not think we bring in an Armstead or Orlando Brown at Left Tackle because then you are moving Jonah and I just do not think they want to do that. Adding 2 or 3 veterans on the Line will go a long way toward fixing the problems and should be priority one for unrestricted Free Agency. The only other position I would like to see be a 2nd-3rd tier pickup in UFA is Cornerback. Adding someone like Donte Jackson from the Panthers would be my favorite choice but even a Casey Hayward or Richard Sherman on a short term deal makes sense.

Draft: Will post more in the draft thread on this as the time gets closer but if we make the moves above and add lets say James Daniels at Right Guard, Trent Brown at Right Tackle, and Donte Jackson at Cornerback then I would be looking to add Zion Johnson (LG) or Tyler Linderbaum (OC) in the first round and maybe a depth Defensive Tackle for this season like Perrion Winfrey that will eventually be your starter.

Who Dey
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
So, you realize, you must buy season tickets from now on, right? Wink

I like what you're laying down here.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:33 PM)Wyche Wrote: So, you realize, you must buy season tickets from now on, right? Wink

I like what you're laying down here.

I am waiting to see how much they go up but yeah...I cannot have it on my conscience it was my fault if we don't make it back...lol
Reply/Quote
I'll try to make the trip out next year. It's like a 4-5 hour drive for me.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'll try to make the trip out next year. It's like a 4-5 hour drive for me.

Mine is a 2 hour drive each way which was brutal but we ended up becoming such good friends with the couple behind us that they would let us meet up with them about an hour into our drive and we would ride the rest of the way with them. That certainly helped out a lot toward the end of the season for my wife and I.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:24 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: First season as a season ticket holder and holy shit what an amazing season this was. It has taken a couple days to shake the loss off because that seemed like a game the Bengals should have won. Even after the penalties it seemed like it was the beginning of the Burrow Super Bowl Champion Legacy drive upcoming. It didn't end the way we all wanted it to end but thankfully there is always hope. The hope doesn't seem as far fetched this year as it did just a few years prior. This team has the money available to shore up the weaknesses and make a real run at this thing again next year.

Must retain: Jessie Bates (no brainer), CJ Uzomah is a must just for leadership and overall solid play we have seen from him lately, I love both Larry Ogunjobi and BJ Hill but this feels like a situation where the Bengals offer both guys the same contract and whoever takes it first is who they role with as the starter beside Reader, I also would love to see the Bengals re-sign Tre Flowers. He won't be a starting CB but his value on Special Teams and ability to matchup with guys like Kelce, Andrews, etc.. is a skillset I wouldn't let walk out the door. There will be other guys they will bring back but these 4/5 are the guys I go after first.

My personal Free Agency thoughts: Some people will stop reading once I say that Terron Armstead is great and all but I just don't see it as a realistic option. He is the top of the top in Free Agency and even though he is an incredible player I cannot see them spending what it would command in both salary and guaranteed money. Jessie Bates is basically our Tier 1 Free Agent signing. There are several guys that interest me in the Tier 2 range to improve the line. James Daniels played really well at Right Guard to end the year for the Bears and is going to be 24 years old still when the season begins. The upside/talent could lock down that spot for years to come. Connor Williams is another younger player that has experience as a starting Guard in the NFL. He seems to be on the rise as well and I think finding guys like this will be very important. Young guys with talent and experience on the rise similar to what we found in Hendrickson, Awuzie, Hilton this year. A Veteran at Right Tackle on a 2 year deal also makes sense. I would look at Trent Brown and Morgan Moses as guys that are proven RIGHT Tackles. I do not think the Bengals want to have to shuffle guys around and that is another reason I do not think we bring in an Armstead or Orlando Brown at Left Tackle because then you are moving Jonah and I just do not think they want to do that. Adding 2 or 3 veterans on the Line will go a long way toward fixing the problems and should be priority one for unrestricted Free Agency. The only other position I would like to see be a 2nd-3rd tier pickup in UFA is Cornerback. Adding someone like Donte Jackson from the Panthers would be my favorite choice but even a Casey Hayward or Richard Sherman on a short term deal makes sense.

Draft: Will post more in the draft thread on this as the time gets closer but if we make the moves above and add lets say James Daniels at Right Guard, Trent Brown at Right Tackle, and Donte Jackson at Cornerback then I would be looking to add Zion Johnson (LG) or Tyler Linderbaum (OC) in the first round and maybe a depth Defensive Tackle for this season like Perrion Winfrey that will eventually be your starter.

Who Dey

I love Jesse Bates at safety but if you are only going to sign one Tier 1 free agent and had to be a tackle vs. a safety it would always be the tackle.  Outside of QB that is the #1 position of value of the team.  

Of course the tackle position costs more than a safety so it hits the cap harder.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:24 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: First season as a season ticket holder and holy shit what an amazing season this was. It has taken a couple days to shake the loss off because that seemed like a game the Bengals should have won. Even after the penalties it seemed like it was the beginning of the Burrow Super Bowl Champion Legacy drive upcoming. It didn't end the way we all wanted it to end but thankfully there is always hope. The hope doesn't seem as far fetched this year as it did just a few years prior. This team has the money available to shore up the weaknesses and make a real run at this thing again next year.

Who Dey

Great post JR85.  Rock On

We are on the same page. I like your plan, all of it. Nothing I disagree with, we would have to trade a lot to get Linderbaum
though, I don't know if that is in the cards. We would have trade from 31 to around the early teens pretty sure to get him.

Love your FA thoughts, James Daniels, Trent Brown and Donte Jackson while bringing back our essentials is pretty ideal.

Also really like your thought on Perrion Winfrey at DT as one of Ogunjobi or BJ might be gone. Keep the DT room deep and
Winfrey might be my favorite DT in this Draft. I know that is saying something but I really like the guy. Has great push and is
versatile which is what we want to keep in our DT room.

Gonna go check out the Mock Draft thread now since we are now in that time frame. Pretty wild, usually we are talking about
the Draft about a month and a half earlier. I really haven't studied up much since we went to the big show.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 03:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great post JR85.  Rock On

We are on the same page. I like your plan, all of it. Nothing I disagree with, we would have to trade a lot to get Linderbaum
though, I don't know if that is in the cards. We would have trade from 31 to around the early teens pretty sure to get him.

Love your FA thoughts, James Daniels, Trent Brown and Donte Jackson while bringing back our essentials is pretty ideal.

Also really like your thought on Perrion Winfrey at DT as one of Ogunjobi or BJ might be gone. Keep the DT room deep and
Winfrey might be my favorite DT in this Draft. I know that is saying something but I really like the guy. Played in the SEC with
Bama and has great push and is versatile which is what we want to keep in our DT room.

Gonna go check out the Mock Draft thread now since we are now in that time frame. Pretty wild, usually we are talking about
the Draft about a month and a half earlier. I really haven't studied up much since we went to the big show.

Winfrey lit up the Senior Bowl. I follow the Big 12 closely. IMHO he’s not a first rounder but should go middle second round. I’d resign one of the two of Hill and Ogunjobi. Whichever one is the most compatible on their salary.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 04:43 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Winfrey lit up the Senior Bowl. I follow the Big 12 closely. IMHO he’s not a first rounder but should go middle second round. I’d resign one of the two of Hill and Ogunjobi. Whichever one is the most compatible on their salary.

I think Winfrey is a 1st rounder to us at 31, or at least should be a thought.

Everyone and their mama thinks we should bring back at least one of BJ or Larry. I would prefer both of course but I think Larry 
might chase big money, who knows with Burrow here. Could keep around players you would normally think would seek money.

I would rank us the #1 team going into next season once we get the OL fortified and bring back our own.

Offensive coaches, namely Zac, Brian and Frank just need to see what they did wrong in the SB and not let that happen again.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 03:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think Winfrey is a 1st rounder to us at 31, or at least should be a thought.

Everyone and their mama thinks we should bring back at least one of BJ or Larry. I would prefer both of course but I think Larry 
might chase big money, who knows with Burrow here. Could keep around players you would normally think would seek money.

I would rank us the #1 team going into next season once we get the OL fortified and bring back our own.

Offensive coaches, namely Zac, Brian and Frank just need to see what they did wrong in the SB and not let that happen again.

Unless a player drops in the 1st we will likely pick someone with an early 2nd round grade, pick #63 is long ways away.  Only bad teams that draft high have pressure regarding draft value.  If we grab a solid DT or one of my favorites in this draft, TE Trey McBride, it would be well worth it.  
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 03:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think Winfrey is a 1st rounder to us at 31, or at least should be a thought.

They will go with a offensive tackle at #31 IMO. I think they get a top FA center and mid level guard as well. Then at #63 a corner.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 04:40 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Unless a player drops in the 1st we will likely pick someone with an early 2nd round grade, pick #63 is long ways away.  Only bad teams that draft high have pressure regarding draft value.  If we grab a solid DT or one of my favorites in this draft, TE Trey McBride, it would be well worth it.  

I need to study up on this Draft more, I only know about players I watched in games last season in college.

Trey McBride huh? Will have to look him up. I don't think I watched him last season. Would be awesome if we fortified the 
OL and brought in a top TE weapon. I thought this was a weak class for TE's, but I do like Jake Ferguson in the mid rounds.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 04:44 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They will go with a offensive tackle at #31 IMO. I think they get a top FA center and mid level guard as well. Then at #63 a corner.

I don't know. I think we are going to get a top tier OT in FA in Morgan Moses along with James Daniels the top FA Center
and Andrew Norwell to man the RG position. This opens up the Draft so we can draft whatever at 31. I wish Sauce Gardner
would be around but he won't. Maybe get his teammate Colby Bryant or one of the other top Corners. Heck, if we did a FA 
of Daniels, Moses, Norwell a TE could be a possibility at 31.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 04:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I need to study up on this Draft more, I only know about players I watched in games last season in college.

Trey McBride huh? Will have to look him up. I don't think I watched him last season. Would be awesome if we fortified the 
OL and brought in a top TE weapon. I thought this was a weak class for TE's, but I do like Jake Ferguson in the mid rounds.

I've seen McBride once in person and other times on TV, have a brother who lives out that way and knows a coach, NFL is all over this guy. Could by a long term Brady-Grok relationship.

That said, depending on FA most likely no chance they sniff a TE that early. If FA isnt a complete home run they will go oline at 31. If we do well in FA we may go CB first, unless we grab one in FA, and if so, I can see us going DT.

But having a young Gronk-type for Joe with our wide-outs would be lethal.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 10:11 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I've seen McBride once in person and other times on TV, have a brother who lives out that way and knows a coach, NFL is all over this guy. Could by a long term Brady-Grok relationship.

That said, depending on FA most likely no chance they sniff a TE that early. If FA isnt a complete home run they will go oline at 31. If we do well in FA we may go CB first, unless we grab one in FA, and if so, I can see us going DT.

But having a young Gronk-type for Joe with our wide-outs would be lethal.

What team is McBride from so I get a better thought?

TE's are weird, Gronk and Kelce would be like 1st round number 1 overall picks if you re-did those Drafts.

Hard to tell what will become of college TE's. I thought Hockenson would be the next great, so far, not so much.

Our FO just better go all out on OL with a furious frenzy to free up the Draft so we can get whatever we want.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 01:55 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What team is McBride from so I get a better thought?

TE's are weird, Gronk and Kelce would be like 1st round number 1 overall picks if you re-did those Drafts.

Hard to tell what will become of college TE's. I thought Hockenson would be the next great, so far, not so much.

Our FO just better go all out on OL with a furious frenzy to free up the Draft so we can get whatever we want.

Colorado State, he won the Mackey Award.  You never know with draft picks but teams are all over this guy. Most likely an early 2nd rounder.  Here is one draft analyst's take:

"It’s easy to see why scouts are excited about McBride, he has the requisite size, speed, and hands to become an exceptional pass catcher. His athleticism and ability to make difficult and contested catches is supremely evident on film.

But he’s not a glorified wide receiver like some tight ends in the NFL. He can and will make effective blocks in the running game, isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty, and doesn’t limit his blocking to trying to blow up smaller players. He’s a willing blocker and will eagerly try to kick out defensive ends and linebackers on running plays.

After the catch Trey McBride is a bruising runner. He led the country in yards after the catch this year for tight ends with 456. He loves contact and will lower his shoulder to gain extra yards. When he gets a head of steam at a muscular 260 pounds, he’s a nightmare for defenders to bring down.

The comp I keep seeing for Trey McBride is Mark Andrews, the former Oklahoma tight end and current Baltimore Raven, and I think it’s an apt one. The floor for Trey McBride in the 2022 NFL Draft is likely the beginning of the third round, with some draftniks projecting him to be selected on day one of the 2022 NFL Draft. He is the first unanimous All-American in the history of the Colorado State football program.

Because of his athleticism, blocking ability, pass catching prowess, physical nature, leadership qualities, and football intelligence, there’s a good chance that Colorado State’s Trey McBride will be the first tight end selected in the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft. And whichever team selects him will likely be satisfied with their decision."
Reply/Quote