Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mike Brown and the Lamar Hunt Trophy
Watching Mike Brown accept the Lamar Hunt Trophy for his AFC Champion Cincinnati Bengals hit me right in the feels. Mike is 86, not flashy, and everyone in YouTube comments sections are universally praising Mike for his gracious nature and humility.

We need to remind ourselves who Lamar Hunt was. He was not only the founder of the American Football League, the predecessor of the AFC, but hunt also founded the Kansas City Chiefs. To see Mike Brown accept the Lamar Hunt Trophy in Arrowhead Stadium for beating Lamar Hunt’s team in his own stadium was a big moment for me.

I freely confess I may have been too hard on Mike Brown at times and now all I want is for him to hold the Lombardi Trophy and bring it back to Cincinnati.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Absolutely. He was the epitome of class up there. Past be damned, I was so happy for him and his humble and gracious words made me proud to be a Bengals fan.
Reply/Quote
It was pretty funny when they showed the owners box of the Chiefs that had like 25 people and looked like a party then they switched to Mike Brown sitting alone just watching the game like one of us sitting on our couch.
Reply/Quote
Its high time people understand that regardless of outcome and strategy, Mike Brown wanted a winner. Late bloomers are better than never bloomers.
Reply/Quote
It’s hard to believe he still runs a team. Dude is old man.

I’d be happy if he won one Super Bowl. That would change the entire trajectory of his legacy.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 01:11 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: It’s hard to believe he still runs a team. Dude is old man.

I’d be happy if he won one Super Bowl. That would change the entire trajectory of his legacy.

I’ll take Mike Brown over that demented blowhole Jerry Jones or Robert “Happy Ending” Kraft any day of the week.
Reply/Quote
Congrats to Mr. Brown, the Bengals, and all of their long-suffering fans.

Though the score was close, I thought the Bengals looked like the toughest team that Denver played all year and you came through again today!

Best of luck in the Super Bowl. It should be a great game between the two best squads in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 01:14 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’ll take Mike Brown over that demented blowhole Jerry Jones or Robert “Happy Ending” Kraft any day of the week.

Jones I could see. Mike Brown has stuck his nose in things he shouldn’t before but Jones seems to do it constantly. His best decisions were ones he didn’t make. He wanted Manziel for example.

At least Mike Brown does it other peoples’ way some of the time.
Reply/Quote
I posted in GD when it happened, but this moment for me was awesome. I've given Mike so much grief over the years. He's been stubborn. He's been a terrible GM. He's been old fashioned. But the last few years, he's given up more and more control. The org has come into the current century of the game. Seeing him hold that trophy honestly made me kind of emotional. He's not a flashy owner up there making a big speech and waving the trophy around. He was quiet and appreciative and you just know that after so many years of wanting this to happen, it meant the world to him to finally accomplish something his dad did before him.

I can't wait to see him reach the biggest achievement of all in two weeks when he gets to hold a Lombardi in his hands and how proud he'll be of that moment.
Reply/Quote
I cried a little seeing Mike Brown hold the Lamar Hunt trophy. He deserves it and I was very proud of the class and dignity he showed when speaking. Thank you Mr. Brown for getting us to the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
We don't really know Mike Brown, we think he's stingy, but we have to find it hard to believe he doesn't want to win.
Reply/Quote
Haven't always agreed with the man (understatement), but he's still the owner of my team, and it warmed my heart seeing him get back on top before he passes.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
It has often been said that Mike Brown doesn't want to win. I've never believed that. He absolutely wants to win. He just wants to do it his own damn way. He's a stubborn and loyal to a fault, just like his Dad. Because of that the pace of change with the Bengals has always been glacial.

But as frustrating as he has been over the years, he is a big part of why the team was born in Cincinnati and why it has remained in Cincinnati. For that, and for always showing grace and class even under the most vicious attacks from within Cincinnati and across the league, we owe him a thank you.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 01:49 AM)Roland Wrote: It has often been said that Mike Brown doesn't want to win.  I've never believed that.  He absolutely wants to win.  He just wants to do it his own damn way.  He's a stubborn and loyal to a fault, just like his Dad. Because of that the pace of change with the Bengals has always been glacial.  

But as frustrating as he has been over the years, he is a big part of why the team was born in Cincinnati and why it has remained in Cincinnati.  For that, and for always showing grace and class even under the most vicious attacks from within Cincinnati and across the league, we owe him a thank you.

Imagine people across the league are now inquiring Mike Brown for advice on how to run a franchise. Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 01:51 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Imagine people across the league are now inquiring Mike Brown for advice on how to run a franchise. Big Grin

..without an indoor practice facility
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 01:17 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I posted in GD when it happened, but this moment for me was awesome. I've given Mike so much grief over the years. He's been stubborn. He's been a terrible GM. He's been old fashioned. But the last few years, he's given up more and more control. The org has come into the current century of the game. Seeing him hold that trophy honestly made me kind of emotional. He's not a flashy owner up there making a big speech and waving the trophy around. He was quiet and appreciative and you just know that after so many years of wanting this to happen, it meant the world to him to finally accomplish something his dad did before him.

I can't wait to see him reach the biggest achievement of all in two weeks when he gets to hold a Lombardi in his hands and how proud he'll be of that moment.

Couldn’t have said it better!
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
Happy for him and everyone else in the organization that contributed.
Reply/Quote
Happy for him and very thankful to him or Katie for spending that money in FA on the defense

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 01:08 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: It was pretty funny when they showed the owners box of the Chiefs that had like 25 people and looked like a party then they switched to Mike Brown sitting alone just watching the game like one of us sitting on our couch.

I thought the samething. It was kinda sad. The main is a class act and very humble. Congrats Mike you deserve it, the team deserves it and all us fans deserve it!
Reply/Quote
A good or bad decision maker, Mike Brown is OUR owner and I've never heard or seen anything to make me think he's a bad human being, so I hold a lot of loyalty and love for the stubborn old man. I was super happy to see him accept the trophy after 31 years of not being able to get over the hurdle.
Reply/Quote