Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Brown's patience
(01-14-2022, 05:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: Burrow says it was Zac's detailed vision and plan that won him over.

I buy that too. Zac has been a players coach from the beginning. He's very football smart. However, being smart and applying that witt is another thing. I knew in my heart he would be a good coach by the players he targeted. He wanted leaders, not individuals, thugs, locker room cancers or any of that. If you wanted to play for him you had to have a good attitude. He couldn't change the culture or achieve his goals without it. So he didn't settle. I'm glad he has been able to put it all together. Win or lose tomorrow, I think he was the right choice. But I'm pretty confident we win and take it further. Just has that feel about it.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 05:51 PM)magikod Wrote: Well having to deal with the dumpster fire Marvin Lewis kinda left for ZT was not easy.

But I guess you could say that with any team hiring a new coach.

I wouldn't say Marvin left him a dumpster fire per se. But I think Marvin knew, his vets were old and he leaned on them too much. His rookies were under experienced and a rebuild was necessary. I think Marvin was tired and wanted out. I think most of us felt this way his last 2 yrs. His heart wasn't in it. So yeah, not completely a dumpster fire, but someone was standing there lighting the match and I think he wanted to be far away from it when it caught fire.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 07:15 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I buy that too. Zac has been a players coach from the beginning. He's very football smart. However, being smart and applying that witt is another thing. I knew in my heart he would be a good coach by the players he targeted. He wanted leaders, not individuals, thugs, locker room cancers or any of that. If you wanted to play for him you had to have a good attitude. He couldn't change the culture or achieve his goals without it. So he didn't settle. I'm glad he has been able to put it all together. Win or lose tomorrow, I think he was the right choice. But I'm pretty confident we win and take it further. Just has that feel about it.

You mean Taylor didn't want those Dre Kirkpatrick types Harley? lol
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 07:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You mean Taylor didn't want those Dre Kirkpatrick types Harley? lol

Oh Gawd. Don't even get me started on old smiley, finger pointing, 3rd and long penalty sponge and drama queen. That kid made huge money to suck the life out of our organization and the fanbase.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 05:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Uh, no they were not.

You all know I was not impressed with Zac last year, but with all the injuries last year we did not have much of a chance to do anything.  Our O-line was decimated.  We had 11 different starters in bout 10 different combination.  Our #5-#7 CBs combined to play more snaps than every other CB except Jackson.  And our DTs were invisible.

Good teams often have better back up players, but last year we were playing back ups to back ups.  No team has good talent that deep on the roster.

I think most teams would have given him another year based on how bad we were hit with injury last year.

I couldn't agree more.  This year has been largely injury free (with the maturation of a rookie QB) and the results are a division championship.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 03:24 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: If Taylor wins this Saturday. How may coaches would have been given a 3rd season after his first 2? No other team in the league more than likely. Sometimes in this now world we live in patience pays off.

I was surprised Flores was let go, yikes!  Zac must be glad he took Cinci.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 03:24 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: If Taylor wins this Saturday. How may coaches would have been given a 3rd season after his first 2? No other team in the league more than likely. Sometimes in this now world we live in patience pays off.

I would not have given Taylor a 3rd season. I'd have expected this team to reach the playoffs with a better coaching staff.

The players being good has not surprised me. What has surprised me is that the coaching staff actually didn't f it all up. For that I am grateful.

For all the times Mike Brown gave a coach an extra year or two when complete failure was already obvious, it made it hard to believe in these current coaches.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 06:57 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I mean Taylor lost 2 big time OL who retired and his top pick Jonah Williams for the year before the season. The next year two suspected defensive starters Reader and Waynes played little or none. Burrow got hurt and Mixon. But I’m sure Mike Brown who has been around a long time is still awfully savvy. I’d expect he saw some hints of good things to come.

Yeah, I think they'd have won 6-8 games in his 2nd year if Burrow and others don't get injured. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 07:15 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I buy that too. Zac has been a players coach from the beginning. He's very football smart. However, being smart and applying that witt is another thing. I knew in my heart he would be a good coach by the players he targeted. He wanted leaders, not individuals, thugs, locker room cancers or any of that. If you wanted to play for him you had to have a good attitude. He couldn't change the culture or achieve his goals without it. So he didn't settle. I'm glad he has been able to put it all together. Win or lose tomorrow, I think he was the right choice. But I'm pretty confident we win and take it further. Just has that feel about it.

There are a lot of things that seem to give the air of "the stars aligning". I've not had that feeling since 1990 and the Reds swept Oaktown.

Reply/Quote

It could be that MB saw the impact this young coach was having on his team. He's at the stadium more than any of us.
I agree, you have to have stability at the top to have any success in any profession.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 12:07 AM)Wyche Wrote: There are a lot of things that seem to give the air of "the stars aligning". I've not had that feeling since 1990 and the Reds swept Oaktown.

Funny you mention this. If you remember correctly, we were forecasted to lose. My step dad was an asshole. He knew I loved the Reds because I watched them every chance I got. He told me that the A's was going to destroy Cincinnati. It pissed me off. I was 24 yrs old in 1990. The A's were heavy favorites. I told that POS (out of anger) I'll bet you $100 that the Reds sweep them (*******). He laughed and took the bet.

He's dead and he never paid me. *******! I really didn't think the Reds would do a sweep, but DAMN! What a series.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 12:17 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Funny you mention this. If you remember correctly, we were forecasted to lose. My step dad was an asshole. He knew I loved the Reds because I watched them every chance I got. He told me that the A's was going to destroy Cincinnati. It pissed me off. I was 24 yrs old in 1990. The A's were heavy favorites. I told that POS (out of anger) I'll bet you $100 that the Reds sweep them (*******). He laughed and took the bet.

He's dead and he never paid me. *******! I really didn't think the Reds would do a sweep, but DAMN! What a series.

That was dirty pool!

Yeah, I remember all the talk. I was 14....all the frontrunners (most kids that age are) were laughing at the Reds. I wasn't sure they'd win, but I knew it'd be a fight. Turns out ......it wasn't much of a fight at all, and the good guys did the ass kicking.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 12:36 AM)Wyche Wrote: That was dirty pool!

Yeah, I remember all the talk. I was 14....all the frontrunners (most kids that age are) were laughing at the Reds. I wasn't sure they'd win, but I knew it'd be a fight. Turns out ......it wasn't much of a fight at all, and the good guys did the ass kicking.

Nasty Boys!  Wink

Reply/Quote
Weird way of saying Loyal to a fault.
Reply/Quote

I personally believe most coaches should be given 3 full years to acquire the players and personnel that they desire regardless of performance unless you’re just not winning games or acting like Urban Meyer. We were pretty bad year one but we were competitive last year even if bad. No reason to not give him year 3 especially with the overwhelming support of the locker room.

I don’t think any new coach should get more than a 3 year contract. Didn’t Jon Gruden sign like a 10 year contract? That’s insane.
Reply/Quote
I get the sentiment of it. Mike Brown can go (stay) away forever though. **** him.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 08:51 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I was surprised Flores was let go, yikes!  Zac must be glad he took Cinci.

Flores has had 2 interviews for HC I saw on ESPN earlier. Can't remember the two teams though. 

Dolphins being the Dolphins....  Hilarious
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 12:36 AM)Wyche Wrote: That was dirty pool!

I was 15.  Was awesome watching the Reds sweep!
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 01:25 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I get the sentiment of it. Mike Brown can go (stay) away forever though. **** him.

I keep wondering if MB finally let got of the reins after ML left.  

Maybe all the good that is happening is because he "retired".
Reply/Quote