Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mike Brown wants to keep Burrow long term
I wonder if Mike and Katie would consider making Burrow a minority owner (a la the Chiefs and Mahomes) as an enticement to take a team friendly contract? Cutting him in for 5 percent or so would probably help sway negotiations.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 04:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think Burrow will take a team friendly deal, even though he deserves to be the highest paid player the NFL has ever seen the moment he's due for a long-term contract.  

With that being said, I also believe Burrow could buck the trends and win SBs even if he's eating the most cap on the planet, too.  Burrow is a top tier QB with literal year in and year out MVP potential and I'm willing to accept that ZT is a top-tier HC, so what are we afraid of if Burrow asks for the salary he deserves?  Teams with high-salary QBs don't win?  Meh, don't we have a bunch of evidence that Burrow is curse and trend-proof?

BUT Burrow has done and said everything as perfectly as possible, so I almost feel spoiled and entitled enough to flat out assume the guy is going to gleefully choose to be paid like a middling starter just so he can benefit the Bengals.  I see better than I hear, but the guy has done everything 100% right so far and I don't see that changing.

We're spoiled rotten, but I guess we've earned it.  We're looking at having the best QB on the planet and expecting the guy to take Ryan Tannehill money while winning multiple SBs.

Sure is nice being spoiled rotten for once. Let's not let it go to our heads. Ninja

(01-17-2023, 05:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah things are getting wild. Teams are losing the battle against players, and that's been happening in all major sports leagues.

I don't truly believe the Browns did that contract for that reason. I'm just saying that it wouldn't shock me, and I do think they love love loved Watson, but I could see where they may have viewed sticking it to the Bengals and Ravens as an added benefit.

I also think their desperation after decades of QB searches was a heavy factor.

Feel the same about the situation, it wasn't the main reason for the Watson contract but it was an added benefit to try and screw us
with the Burrow contract and the Ravens with the Lamar contract. Even though I think Lamar is going to go somewhere else. Pretty 
sad of him if he does as the Ravens pretty much built that Offense around him.

(01-17-2023, 06:57 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I have dreams where Burrow signs for like 10 years, 300 million dollars and then has a press conference where he says "I know I could have gotten more money, but 300 million dollars is already way more money than I'll ever need and I really wanted to make sure Tee and Ja'Marr got their due as well."

And then I wake up and think it's not fair to hope for Burrow to do that. But still secretly really hoping he does it haha.

That is the dream and not impossible, almost find it likely.
Reply/Quote
I don't think Burrow will be the problem. Chase, probably not as bad as some may think. I think the defense will start to be getting money elsewhere. Higgins and Boyd may be a foregone conclusion.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 08:27 PM)Destro Wrote: I don't think Burrow will be the problem. Chase, probably not as bad as some may think. I think the defense will start to be getting money elsewhere. Higgins and Boyd may be a foregone conclusion.

Mike Brown loves Tyler Boyd.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 06:57 PM)BengalBob Wrote: Sign him to  a 10 year contract at 15% of the cap annually and call it a day.

This would be very difficult to do, I know Mike Florio loves this method, but it makes it difficult to prorate any moneys and guarantees every penny of the contract.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 09:28 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Mike Brown loves Tyler Boyd.

Mike will get over that if Tyler comes at him with what he wants for his next contract.

Reply/Quote
Joe can actually be the highest paid QB and still have a team friendly deal that allows us to keep Tee.

Mike Brown wants to do a long term deal with Joe that much like Mahomes.

We could pay Joe $500M over 10 years with rolling guarantees and his salary would not be an issue for a minimum of the next 3-4 years.

Reply/Quote
Don't really like owner coming in at start of playoffs pragmatically talking about contracts and complications. You don't hear burrow saying 'I want to stay but they have to pay me' in the same way Brown says 'we want him but his contract will be a big problem '. Just say he's vital to our franchise and we want him here and leave it at that. Don't know why brown decides to talk now. He's better when he collects his paychecks and stays out of the way in his cosy box seats.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 02:52 PM)Synric Wrote: I don't remember where but I seen a statistic that said if the QB makes over 12 or 13% of the yearly total salary cap the team never succeeds.

This is true.  On the other hand, when you have a generational quarterback that elevates everyone around him, I think it's worth it.  Andy Dalton was a capable quarterback took the Cincinnati Bengals the several playoffs, but he did not elevate his game or those around him in the Bengals had talented players that couldn't win in the playoffs. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 09:55 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Mike will get over that if Tyler comes at him with what he wants for his next contract.

Probably
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 09:58 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Joe can actually be the highest paid QB and still have a team friendly deal that allows us to keep Tee.

We could pay Joe $500M over 10 years with rolling guarantees and his salary would not be an issue for a minimum of the next 3-4 years.

Everything that I’ve heard from anyone who knows anything about this team (what a vague sounding sentence), makes it seem like they’re all in on keeping Tee here and that they’ll be actively working to make that happen.

I’m worried about Tee’s agent, but the Bengals will absolutely be making fair offers for him, whether it’s this year or next.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Get an A+ O-line & we won't need Both Tee & Chase. Just a bunch of Trents. Give Joe "Tom Brady in New England time to throw" & we'll be golden.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 09:58 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Joe can actually be the highest paid QB and still have a team friendly deal that allows us to keep Tee.

There's the possibility with TV contracts and the ever rising salary cap giving him such a long term contract might make those later years not as big of a hit as they would be right now too right?

At the very least I could see him doing restructures down the road like Ben and Brady did for their teams.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 01:28 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: There's the possibility with TV contracts and the ever rising salary cap giving him such a long term contract might make those later years not as big of a hit as they would be right now too right?

At the very least I could see him doing restructures down the road like Ben and Brady did for their teams.

Exactly.  Here are the new numbers:

The YouTube Sunday Ticket deal this summer will be for $2B per year the next 7 years.  

Amazon Thursday Night is $1B per year.  10 years

CBS, Fox and Comcast (NBC) are all paying over $2B per year. 10 and 11 year deals

Disney will be paying $2.7B per year. 10 years

Over the next 10 years the number is in excess of $100B.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 03:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Here's an interesting breakdown of all the QB's who made the SB from 2000 through 2020, and the cap percentages.
(Last year, Stafford was at 10.96 % and Burrow at 4.51%)

[Image: Screen-Shot-2022-02-11-at-9_16_34-AM.jpg]

What % is Browns QB going to be eating at 250 mil guarantee?

2023 says 21.77 cap % taken up by his contract. His cap hit is 54,993,000 seems like it should be higher maybe cap ceiling raised...
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 01:39 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Exactly.  Here are the new numbers:

The YouTube Sunday Ticket deal this summer will be for $2B per year the next 7 years.  

Amazon Thursday Night is $1B per year.  10 years

CBS, Fox and Comcast (NBC) are all paying over $2B per year. 10 and 11 year deals

Disney will be paying $2.7B per year. 10 years

Over the next 10 years the number is in excess of $100B.

$100B equates to some mega stupid money contracts. Unfortunately whenever mega stupid money is in play loyalty usually goes out the window .. I hope that doesn't happen with Joe, but I'm really not in the business of predicting what young superstars do. I have quite literally zero experience in being a young superstar, but I do have a lot of experience in being young once upon a time.. Heck, I have experience being an infant in the early 1960s..Late 1950s even! 
I shoulda been a superstar when I was young. I missed my calling.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 06:57 PM)BengalBob Wrote: Sign him to  a 10 year contract at 15% of the cap annually and call it a day.

Holic posted in this thread that only 3 times since 2000 has a QB making 13% or more of the team's cap that year made it to the Super Bowl, and all 3 lost.

(01-17-2023, 07:02 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: I wonder if Mike and Katie would consider making Burrow a minority owner (a la the Chiefs and Mahomes) as an enticement to take a team friendly contract?  Cutting him in for 5 percent or so would probably help sway negotiations.

Pretty positive that giving a player a part of the team is still considered player compensation and that falls under the salary cap limits. Otherwise there'd be owners everywhere giving small pieces of businesses to players to avoid paying them under the salary cap. 5% of the Bengals would be worth ~$150m.

Also, Mahomes doesn't own any part of the Chiefs. He bought part of KC's baseball, soccer, and women's soccer teams. Brady was the one rumored to be getting some stake in the Dolphins in that whole tampering investigation. That's why it was extra noteworthy.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 03:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Here's an interesting breakdown of all the QB's who made the SB from 2000 through 2020, and the cap percentages.
(Last year, Stafford was at 10.96 % and Burrow at 4.51%)

[Image: Screen-Shot-2022-02-11-at-9_16_34-AM.jpg]
(01-18-2023, 03:49 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Holic posted in this thread that only 3 times since 2000 has a QB making 13% or more of the team's cap that year made it to the Super Bowl, and all 3 lost.

Pretty positive that giving a player a part of the team is still considered player compensation and that falls under the salary cap limits. Otherwise there'd be owners everywhere giving small pieces of businesses to players to avoid paying them under the salary cap. 5% of the Bengals would be worth ~$150m.

Also, Mahomes doesn't own any part of the Chiefs. He bought part of KC's baseball, soccer, and women's soccer teams. Brady was the one rumored to be getting some stake in the Dolphins in that whole tampering investigation. That's why it was extra noteworthy.

To be fair Super Bowls are more outliers. I would quess teams with a high paid quarterbacks have more winning seasons than a team with low paid QBs. Because a good QB keeps the winning window open. (Superbowl windows are not a thing it takes more than a winning program to make it to a superbowl.)

Look at all the years Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Peyton Manning took their teams to the playoffs. Yes only 4 super bowl wins between those 3 but they were always in the playoffs and competing.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
You can be Brady or you can be Rodgers when it comes down to contracts.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 07:10 AM)Synric Wrote: To be fair Super Bowls are more outliers. I would quess teams with a high paid quarterbacks have more winning seasons than a team with low paid QBs. Because a good QB keeps the winning window open. (Superbowl windows are not a thing it takes more than a winning program to make it to a superbowl.)

Look at all the years Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Peyton Manning took their teams to the playoffs. Yes only 4 super bowl wins between those 3 but they were always in the playoffs and competing.

Of the top 12 cap hits at QB in 2022, only 4 of them were in the playoffs this year despite there being 7th seeds. Only 2 of those 4 made it to the Divisional Round, 1 via bye. Meanwhile of the 8 teams still in the playoffs 4 have QBs on rookie deals and a 5th, the 49ers, have Purdy on a rookie deal and Jimmy G took a huge paycut.

The goal isn't to get 10-13 wins and get knocked out of the playoffs early every year. The goal is to win Super Bowls. You need a lot of talent on your roster to win a Super Bowl. Unless you manage to perpetually get draft after draft in a row of just great find after great find, you need cap space to add that talent and keep your pre-existing talent. Or your window will close.

There's a reason why Aaron Rodgers has only reached the NFC Championship game 2 times in 15 years and Drew Brees only reached it 1 time in 19 years. They both were all about maximizing personal gains. Fair, it's a business, you look out for you, but just don't be surprised when your career ends and you underachieved because you couldn't get enough talent around you.

- - - - - - -

Burrow is going to do whatever he is going to do. If he chases maximum dollar it's his right to get the most pay he can for the work he does. I do hope he takes less to allow the Bengals to keep filling the team with talent around him, but I am not naive enough to expect it to happen. Either way they shouldn't be a terrible team, but competing for Super Bowls is a whole lot more fun than being 9-8 or 11-6 every year and either just missing the cutoff or getting knocked out early.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote