Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Daniels on GMFB
It is always nice to hear players sound confident and enthusiastic. He talks about re-signing with the Bengals, Joey B, and WhoDey Nation

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2021, 11:24 AM)pally Wrote: It is always nice to hear players sound confident and enthusiastic.  He talks about re-signing with the Bengals, Joey B, and WhoDey Nation

Everyone knows he is lying. All players under contract go do these interviews and obligatorily lie when they say good things. They NEVER tell the truth in these interviews. None of them have integrity in what they say because they are under contract with the Bengals Ninja

^ Just thought I would get that out of the way before the "They took our jobs... wuh wuh wuh Wins & Losses" crew come in and take a corn filled dump on any positive Bengals media coverage.
Reply/Quote
The players really seem to like Zac Taylor. It makes you wonder if there is a coaching change after this season or the next if it will just be the coordinators and some position coaches.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2021, 01:44 PM)Synric Wrote: The players really seem to like Zac Taylor. It makes you wonder if there is a coaching change after this season or the next if it will just be the coordinators and some position coaches.

Really makes you wonder what the issue is with the team. 

If it was just Taylor being completely clueless I would think the players wouldn't like him or want to play for Cincinnati. Yet, guys seem excited they had guys sign here in FA that had other options, it really doesn't add up at all.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2021, 01:44 PM)Synric Wrote: The players really seem to like Zac Taylor. It makes you wonder if there is a coaching change after this season or the next if it will just be the coordinators and some position coaches.

They do seem to like Zac, at least the ones still with the team do.  There is a notable tone difference between obligatory conversation about a coach and the way Daniels, Burrow, Bates, Hubbard, and every free agent signing has talked about Zac.  We can only hope that those relationships will finally turn into wins

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2021, 01:57 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Really makes you wonder what the issue is with the team. 

If it was just Taylor being completely clueless I would think the players wouldn't like him or want to play for Cincinnati. Yet, guys seem excited they had guys sign here in FA that had other options, it really doesn't add up at all.

I think the deal is that the past 2 seasons were a complete rebuild because thw roster sucked. The window slammed shut from Marvin's 2nd go at it and the sinking into the abyss from 2016 on is clear proof of that.

Where are the stars from 2011-2018 at today? Where's Burfict? Jones? Hall? Kirkpatrick? Dalton? Green? Hill? Atkins? Eifert & Gresham? Reggie Nelson? Sanu & Jones? None panned out long term at the teams they left Cincy for.

Where are the studs that had the Bengals as a playoff contender every season? With the exception of Dunlap, Bernard, & Whitworth... are they even playing.... and, if they are... are they impact players? No. No longer. It was over for that group.

Now, take the above facts and pair them with several years ina. row with less than great drafts (bad, really) and cheap FA band-aids through the 2018 season. Where do you think that puts a 1st year HC in season 1? Now throw in COVID for season 2?

I believe the Food Network has the above listed as a recipe for DISASTER.

This is why I don't just completely bash ZT and am ok watching this develop. My mind is open on ZT... especially with the players seemingly all in under his leadership.

The Bengals weren't close when Taylor took over. They had one of the worst rosters in the league heading into the 2019 season. Now, though? In 2021 ZT has the tools... HIS TOOLS... to make major gains over his previous seasons. If not, he needs to go. 8+ wins should be a minimum expectation for this staff and this roster.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2021, 01:57 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Really makes you wonder what the issue is with the team. 

The issue is NFL players know more about football, playing and coaching, then message board posters do. They are also privileged to be informed on plans, playbooks, visions and directions the coach is trying to take the team. Or, as we often hear, they are just liars.
Reply/Quote
Have to echo PDub80's thoughts here. I think the light comes on for Taylor this year with his roster and a couple of good
Drafts. We started to suck when we drafted crappy and it didn't help we never got much help in FA. Now we have had a
couple of good Drafts to go along with some top tier FA's at least for us.

Really like Mike Daniels BTW. How can you not? Gave us fans mad respect. Mike is a really likable dude.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2021, 02:19 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I think the deal is that the past 2 seasons were a complete rebuild because thw roster sucked. The window slammed shut from Marvin's 2nd go at it and the sinking into the abyss from 2016 on is clear proof of that.

Where are the stars from 2011-2018 at today? Where's Burfict? Jones? Hall? Kirkpatrick? Dalton? Green? Hill? Atkins? Eifert & Gresham? Reggie Nelson? Sanu & Jones? None panned out long term at the teams they left Cincy for.

Where are the studs that had the Bengals as a playoff contender every season? With the exception of Dunlap, Bernard, & Whitworth... are they even playing.... and, if they are... are they impact players? No. No longer. It was over for that group.

Now, take the above facts and pair them with several years ina. row with less than great drafts (bad, really) and cheap FA band-aids through the 2018 season. Where do you think that puts a 1st year HC in season 1? Now throw in COVID for season 2?

I believe the Food Network has the above listed as a recipe for DISASTER.

This is why I don't just completely bash ZT and am ok watching this develop. My mind is open on ZT... especially with the players seemingly all in under his leadership.

The Bengals weren't close when Taylor took over. They had one of the worst rosters in the league heading into the 2019 season. Now, though? In 2021 ZT has the tools... HIS TOOLS... to make major gains over his previous seasons. If not, he needs to go. 8+ wins should be a minimum expectation for this staff and this roster.

Lol... because players not being around a decade later than an arbitrary point in their career in the NFL is somehow abnormal/proof? "None of them panned out long term." Lol... this is the NFL man, Not For Long. That list actually did pretty darn well post-Bengals.

Hall played 3 more years and went to the playoffs with the Giants after he left here.
Nelson played 3 more years and went to the playoffs with the Raiders after he left here.
Gresham played 4 more years and won a playoff game with the Cardinals after he left here.
Dunlap just went to Seattle last year and helped jumpstart their flagging pass rush to go to the playoffs.
Whitworth is heading into his 5th year post-Bengals, has a Pro Bowl, and All-Pro, and has gone to a Super bowl with the Rams.
M Jones is in his 6th year post-Bengals and is still a high quality #2 WR. Had 1,110+ yards and led NFL in YPR one year.
Sanu was never a star, but is also in his 6th year post-Bengals and has been to the playoffs 3 times, including the Super Bowl once as a #2 WR.
Dalton took over an injury-devastated Cowboys and finished the season strong (95 QB Rating and 4-3 in weeks 11-17) nearly getting them to the playoffs despite the 28th ranked scoring defense.

Kirkpatrick and Hill were never "stars".

Interesting how suddenly the Bengals had the worst roster heading into 2019. Would like to look back on pre-season predictions made by this board to see if that was the feelings folks had then or if that's just what folks are saying now to justify Taylor going 6-25-1 with a roster that went 13-19 the previous 2 years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

I don't see any real issue with the team other than the fact that they were rebuilding and completely turned the roster over while simultaneously being devastated by injuries.

I like everything he has done and the direction/culture of the team 
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2021, 03:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lol... because players not being around a decade later than an arbitrary point in their career in the NFL is somehow abnormal/proof? "None of them panned out long term." Lol... this is the NFL man, Not For Long. That list actually did pretty darn well post-Bengals.

Hall played 3 more years and went to the playoffs with the Giants after he left here.
Nelson played 3 more years and went to the playoffs with the Raiders after he left here.
Gresham played 4 more years and won a playoff game with the Cardinals after he left here.
Dunlap just went to Seattle last year and helped jumpstart their flagging pass rush to go to the playoffs.
Whitworth is heading into his 5th year post-Bengals, has a Pro Bowl, and All-Pro, and has gone to a Super bowl with the Rams.
M Jones is in his 6th year post-Bengals and is still a high quality #2 WR. Had 1,110+ yards and led NFL in YPR one year.
Sanu was never a star, but is also in his 6th year post-Bengals and has been to the playoffs 3 times, including the Super Bowl once as a #2 WR.
Dalton took over an injury-devastated Cowboys and finished the season strong (95 QB Rating and 4-3 in weeks 11-17) nearly getting them to the playoffs despite the 28th ranked scoring defense.

Interesting how suddenly the Bengals had the worst roster heading into 2019. Would like to look back on pre-season predictions made by this board to see if that was the feelings folks had then or if that's just what folks are saying now to justify Taylor going 6-25-1 with a roster that went 13-19 the previous 2 years.

That's my point... It was over for that group as a whole by the end of the 2018 season, whether they were Bengals or not. None of them left while peaking. Zeitler, Sanu, Jones were still strong players, sure. But their run ended around the same time that group of Bengals run did.... 2018.

You turned this into: What guys did after they left the Bengals. That has nothing to do with what I said, which was: What did they do AFTER the 2018 season?  NOTHING GREAT.

My point was that the window for success was closed by the end of the 2018 season due to player age and poor drafting and lack of FA success. This occured in the years leading up to the final 2018 failure that ended Marvin's run and leaving a virtually bare cupboard for ZT in 2019.

To think ZT was coming into Cincy with a washed up roster and immeditely winning year 1 is goofy. Same for year 2 w a rookie QB + COVID. Whoever thought that was likely or expected that is a moron..... and, trust me, after reading posts here for years.... I'm not shocked you can find previous posts for 2019 predicting success.

And I listed Dunlap, Whitworth, and Bernard as good players from that group still contributing, but those are just 3 dudes... And Bernard will be a role player in TB barring injury. So, that's 2 guys, 1 of which is an older player coming off of major injury and the other getting half his Bengals pay in Seattle after being cut and resigned because he wasn't worth the cap hit.
Reply/Quote

Players that didn't like the way things have been going asked for their release or trade or simply just didn't re-sign. That's pretty typical of any new coach to a team. Don't like me, I'll see you playing elsewhere thank you very much.

But if the losing continues, the team will turn on Taylor. At some point the used car salesmanship becomes obvious.

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2021, 03:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Have to echo PDub80's thoughts here. I think the light comes on for Taylor this year with his roster and a couple of good
Drafts. We started to suck when we drafted crappy and it didn't help we never got much help in FA. Now we have had a

Really like Mike Daniels BTW. How can you not? Gave us fans mad respect. Mike is a really likable dude.

I don't think it's a "light" as much as it's finding out if his plan can be successful. In hindsight, it was pretty much a pipe dream that this team could be competitive with the players that were holdovers from the Marv era. There's been a big time turnover of the roster and on paper it looks like there's a type of player and scheme they want, so this year should show whether it's a solid plan or not. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2021, 10:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't think it's a "light" as much as it's finding out if his plan can be successful. In hindsight, it was pretty much a pipe dream that this team could be competitive with the players that were holdovers from the Marv era. There's been a big time turnover of the roster and on paper it looks like there's a type of player and scheme they want, so this year should show whether it's a solid plan or not. 

^ 100%

There are definitely things I would criticize ZT for, but if those aren't rectified this season I would be ready to move on.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2021, 10:25 PM)PDub80 Wrote: ^ 100%

There are definitely things I would criticize ZT for, but if those aren't rectified this season I would be ready to move on.

Yep. 

Injuries are still out there as an unknown and i'm still not real positive on Anarumo's play calling, but it is possible to an extent to overcome that if you have enough talent out there. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2021, 03:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Have to echo PDub80's thoughts here. I think the light comes on for Taylor this year with his roster and a couple of good

I have to agree.I really like the direction this team is going.I like what they have done in the draft,and especially free agency.I like the way that Zac Taylor is not afraid to be aggressive on offense.When Burrow got injured last year,I think they were something like 13of14 on fourth down attempts,and led the league.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2021, 11:43 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Everyone knows he is lying. All players under contract go do these interviews and obligatorily lie when they say good things. They NEVER tell the truth in these interviews. None of them have integrity in what they say because they are under contract with the Bengals Ninja

^ Just thought I would get that out of the way before the "They took our jobs... wuh wuh wuh Wins & Losses" crew come in and take a corn filled dump on any positive Bengals media coverage.

Your response got rep, but the line about corn-filled dump had me double-clicking the rep button.  Hilarious.

FWIW, I totally agree with the sentiment, and I really like Mike Daniels as a rotational piece.  
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2021, 03:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lol... because players not being around a decade later than an arbitrary point in their career in the NFL is somehow abnormal/proof? "None of them panned out long term." Lol... this is the NFL man, Not For Long. That list actually did pretty darn well post-Bengals.

Thank you.  Saved me from writing all that.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2021, 10:09 AM)Stewy Wrote: Thank you.  Saved me from writing all that.

Then, you both missed the point... The point had nothing to do with what players did after leaving the Bengals. The point was: That entire "Dalton/Green" era group, save for 3 guys, were done being impact players FOR ANY TEAM after 2018.

So, what was ZT realistically supposed to do with that group? That group was clearly FINISHED based on their post 2018 careers... with any team. Look at the major contributors from 2010-2018... where were they in 2019? NOT being major contributors.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2021, 05:01 PM)PDub80 Wrote: To think ZT was coming into Cincy with a washed up roster and immeditely winning year 1 is goofy. Same for year 2 w a rookie QB + COVID. Whoever thought that was likely or expected that is a moron..... and, trust me, after reading posts here for years.... I'm not shocked you can find previous posts for 2019 predicting success.

In 2019 Dunlap had 9 sacks and Geno went to the pro Bowl.  Our Defense also had Hubbard, Bates, Lawson, and Jackson.

Until our offense lost Green, Boling, Glenn, and our first pick in the draft they were not bereft of talent with Mixon, Boyd and Dalton.

Or maybe no one here gave Marvin enough credit for winning six games with no talent on the roster.
Reply/Quote