Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Daniels signs 1 year deal with the Bengals
Reply/Quote
Cool beans.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Name is familiar, can’t recall how good he was... anyone got some details on this guy? Packerbacker where you at??
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 04:47 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Name is familiar, can’t recall how good he was... anyone got some details on this guy? Packerbacker where you at??

From wiki...fwiw

Scouts praised Daniels for being "quick off the ball" and using "his small frame to work between blockers". They also stated that he had good instincts and could understand offensive schemes and beat them. His size was often criticized because he was often beaten by larger blockers.[11]

Daniels was selected in the fourth round (132nd overall) of the 2012 draft by the Green Bay Packers who first noticed him a year before when looking at other defensive linemen from Iowa.[12] Defensive coordinator Dom Capers commented that "The thing that jumps out at me is the way he plays the game."[12] He scored his first touchdown on December 9, 2012 against the Lions after recovering a fumble by Matthew Stafford. During his rookie season in 2012, Daniels played 14 games with 12 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 pass defended, and 2 fumble recoveries. In 2013, Daniels appeared in 16 games making 28 tackles and 6.5 sacks. In 2014, Daniels started all 16 games with 47 tackles and 5.5 sacks. On December 14, 2015, Daniels signed a 4-year contract extension worth $42 million.[13] On December 27, 2015, despite the Packers' bad performance on the offensive line and being blown out 38–8 by the Arizona Cardinals, Daniels snagged his first interception from Carson Palmer. Daniels finished the 2015 season with 49 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 interception, 2 passes defended, and 1 forced fumble.
Daniels was ranked 95th by his fellow players on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2016,[14] and 84th on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2017 after starting all 16 games both seasons.[15]
In Week 1 of the 2017 season, Daniels recorded seven tackles, 1.5 sacks, and a forced fumble off of quarterback Russell Wilson in a 17–9 win over the Seattle Seahawks. Daniels's forced fumble was vital as it helped set up a Ty Montgomery rushing touchdown.
Daniels was named to his first Pro Bowl after the 2017 regular season. Having been an alternate three previous occasions in his career, on January 9, 2018, the NFL announced that Daniels would replace Aaron Donald in the 2018 Pro Bowl due to an undisclosed injury. He was ranked 93rd by his peers on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2018.[16]
In 2018, Daniels played in 10 games, recording 18 tackles and two sacks before suffering a foot injury in Week 11. He was placed on injured reserve on December 1, 2018.[17]
On July 24, 2019, Daniels was released by the Packers after seven seasons.[18]
Detroit Lions[edit]
Two days later, Daniels signed a one-year, $9.1 million contract with the Detroit Lions.[19] He played in nine games before being placed on injured reserve on December 16, 2019.[20]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 04:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: From wiki...fwiw

Scouts praised Daniels for being "quick off the ball" and using "his small frame to work between blockers". They also stated that he had good instincts and could understand offensive schemes and beat them. His size was often criticized because he was often beaten by larger blockers.[11]

Daniels was selected in the fourth round (132nd overall) of the 2012 draft by the Green Bay Packers who first noticed him a year before when looking at other defensive linemen from Iowa.[12] Defensive coordinator Dom Capers commented that "The thing that jumps out at me is the way he plays the game."[12] He scored his first touchdown on December 9, 2012 against the Lions after recovering a fumble by Matthew Stafford. During his rookie season in 2012, Daniels played 14 games with 12 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 pass defended, and 2 fumble recoveries. In 2013, Daniels appeared in 16 games making 28 tackles and 6.5 sacks. In 2014, Daniels started all 16 games with 47 tackles and 5.5 sacks. On December 14, 2015, Daniels signed a 4-year contract extension worth $42 million.[13] On December 27, 2015, despite the Packers' bad performance on the offensive line and being blown out 38–8 by the Arizona Cardinals, Daniels snagged his first interception from Carson Palmer. Daniels finished the 2015 season with 49 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 interception, 2 passes defended, and 1 forced fumble.
Daniels was ranked 95th by his fellow players on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2016,[14] and 84th on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2017 after starting all 16 games both seasons.[15]
In Week 1 of the 2017 season, Daniels recorded seven tackles, 1.5 sacks, and a forced fumble off of quarterback Russell Wilson in a 17–9 win over the Seattle Seahawks. Daniels's forced fumble was vital as it helped set up a Ty Montgomery rushing touchdown.
Daniels was named to his first Pro Bowl after the 2017 regular season. Having been an alternate three previous occasions in his career, on January 9, 2018, the NFL announced that Daniels would replace Aaron Donald in the 2018 Pro Bowl due to an undisclosed injury. He was ranked 93rd by his peers on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2018.[16]
In 2018, Daniels played in 10 games, recording 18 tackles and two sacks before suffering a foot injury in Week 11. He was placed on injured reserve on December 1, 2018.[17]
On July 24, 2019, Daniels was released by the Packers after seven seasons.[18]
Detroit Lions[edit]
Two days later, Daniels signed a one-year, $9.1 million contract with the Detroit Lions.[19] He played in nine games before being placed on injured reserve on December 16, 2019.[20]
Reply/Quote
I recall watching some Packer games a while back where this guy jumped out...he was applying pressure and stuffing run plays all day...
Not sure if he is still at that level but if he is...its a good move
Reply/Quote
This would be a good get given the number of DTs that have opted out.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2020, 04:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: From wiki...fwiw

So, his best years are behind him, but he might be able to still provide a little excitement in a rotational role?

I like it.  Smart, talented player that played most of his career with a winning organization.  Proven to be productive in pass rush, alert enough to have a few fumble recoveries and an INT.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He has more plays left in him than Dareus Williams
Or Peko. He's produced at a high level for stable organization
Plus he can be a mentor to Wren Brown
Reply/Quote
I'm guessing this is dependent on his physical given recent injury issues thr last two seasons.

But Mike Daniels would be a great add to the defensive line and would be huge keeping Geno's snap count down.

Edit: Daniels and Lawson should get along pretty well because they are both anime nerds and love Dragon Ball Z.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Daniels was one of the DT’s I wanted based on what was still out there. He is a straight snap count eater for Geno that should allow both to limit their snaps and be more effective. The added benefit here is he excelled in GB as a 5 technique which with our desire to play more 3-4 should come in handy.
Reply/Quote
This is a huge get if it happens and he is healthy.

Watching the little clips on YouTube from his appearances on the top 100 list I love the fact he has the mean bully mentality. Something we have been majorly lacking.

High motor shit-talking menace. Please be healthy and stay healthy all year.
Reply/Quote
He’s been hurt the past 2 seasons and played 10/9 games in those 2 seasons. He was a pro bowl DL with 30 sacks and 235 tackles or something.

Better than tupou and hopefully he lasts a full season in a good rotation.
Reply/Quote
Picking up Daniels is a fantastic add, provided he's healthy. However, who is our 1st backup to Reader, at NT? I thought that we would be in good shape with Tupou there, but now he's not an option. I really don't view Wren or Brown as NTs, so who do we have?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Collinsworth will cream his pants.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Weren't we screaming for this guy last season? There are so many that I get them mixed up.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Sounds good to me. Hopefully it goes through.

Reply/Quote
Spotrac has him as signed by the Bengals
Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor finding a way to win? Nice change of pace.

Reply/Quote
With everything that 2020 has brought us, I still find the most bizarre thing to be the Bengals willingly spending money on outside FA and being proactive.

This just adds more talent to a good FA class.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote