Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mike Gesicki
Any chance we have a shot at Gesicki? Think he'd really thrive with Burrow.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I think we prefer TEs that can play in-line. Not guys who are essentially split ends.
Reply/Quote
Malik Wright mentioned that Hayden Hurst didn't get the sense he'd be back with the team so a new vet TE seems likely.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Let's offer him the exact contract we gave Hurst last year. 1 year 4 million I think. Maybe 5

Then we still draft TE early
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 09:14 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Any chance we have a shot at Gesicki?  Think he'd really thrive with Burrow.

I agree. Gesicki's skill set is as a pass catching TE. He'd fit in as a nice option behind our WR trio.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 01:48 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Malik Wright mentioned that Hayden Hurst didn't get the sense he'd be back with the team so a new vet TE seems likely.

that would be a damn shame
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 09:02 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: that would be a damn shame

but if he's replaced with Gesicki I think we'll at minimum see the same production from the TE spot.
Reply/Quote
They would still have to find some TEs because Mike Gesicki is a slot receiver. I don't even think the Dolphins lined him up at TE in 2022 because of just how flat awful the dude is at blocking.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 09:43 AM)Synric Wrote: They would still have to find some TEs because Mike Gesicki is a slot receiver. I don't even think the Dolphins lined him up at TE in 2022 because of just how flat awful they dude is at blocking.

Agree 100% this teams biggest issue on offense is winning up front when it matters. With Perine gone you have a back in Mixon who isn't good at pass blocking and now your gonna add a finesse TE who's a complete liability when he's not running routes. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 09:43 AM)Synric Wrote: They would still have to find some TEs because Mike Gesicki is a slot receiver. I don't even think the Dolphins lined him up at TE in 2022 because of just how flat awful the dude is at blocking.

Don’t we have sample for that? If he’s a FA he’ll be super cheap to bring back. Gesicki would be the best TE we’ve had since Eifert.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 10:37 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: Don’t we have sample for that? If he’s a FA he’ll be super cheap to bring back. Gesicki would be the best TE we’ve had since Eifert.

Yeah but if one TE only blocks and one only catches passes.... Well its pretty easy to figure out the play depending on which on is on the field
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:33 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Yeah but if one TE only blocks and one only catches passes.... Well its pretty easy to figure out the play depending on which on is on the field

Hurst wasn’t a great blocker either. Most tight ends are not.

I’d be all for brining Mike Gesicki in and letting him be our 4th receiver. If we are counting on a TE or running back to address our blocking woes, we are not really looking at the root cause.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:39 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Hurst wasn’t a great blocker either.  Most tight ends are not.  

I’d be all for brining Mike Gesicki in and letting him be our 4th receiver.  If we are counting on a TE or running back to address our blocking woes, we are not really looking at the root cause.

Problem is you are still considering him a Tight End and he's not. He does not line up at tight end only receiver. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I would buy on Gesicki as a long term receiver type and draft a mid-late rounder (cough Durham) to develop behind him.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 09:43 AM)Synric Wrote: They would still have to find some TEs because Mike Gesicki is a slot receiver. I don't even think the Dolphins lined him up at TE in 2022 because of just how flat awful the dude is at blocking.

They definitely did, but he was terrible at it and his playing time was reduced in several games because of it.  They talked about during the offseason - and tried - to make him fit in McDaniels' offense as a more traditional Y TE, but eventually started having him share playing time with Durham Smythe because he is simply a bad run blocker.    Having said that, I still think he could be a force in this offense if used correctly. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 02:38 PM)Synric Wrote: Problem is you are still considering him a Tight End and he's not. He does not line up at tight end only receiver. 

He actually took a higher percentage of his snaps last season aligned tight than Travis Kelce did. Not saying he’s Kelce in any way shape or form but the new era of offense that we are trying to run doesn’t ask for a 50% snap count tight like it used to.
Reply/Quote
If he can't get a contract like Hurst got he should for sure come here for his prove it deal. A good year with Burrow will send his value skyrocketing.
Reply/Quote
Sorry but this is a terrible idea. Cincinnati TEs have to be able to block and this is absolutely his weakness. Then there is the other issue which is his market value. No not a fan of this suggestion at all. Foster Moreau on the other hand would be an excellent fit within the Bengals system and comes with a more reasonable price tag.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 05:48 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Sorry but this is a terrible idea. Cincinnati TEs have to be able to block and this is absolutely his weakness. Then there is the other issue which is his market value. No not a fan of this suggestion at all. Foster Moreau on the other hand would be an excellent fit within the Bengals system and comes with a more reasonable price tag.

This is where I am putting my FA TE hopes. 

Foster Moreau, a vet backup RT (George Fant?), a SS (John Johnson?), and a backup RB (D'Ernest Johnson?) is my current wishlist. All of which should be cheap other than Moreau, who will probably end up mid-ranged. 

I would have taken Justice Hill as a backup RB instead, but he re-signed with the Ravens yesterday for 2yr/$4.5m.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 11:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: He actually took a higher percentage of his snaps last season aligned tight than Travis Kelce did. Not saying he’s Kelce in any way shape or form but the new era of offense that we are trying to run doesn’t ask for a 50% snap count tight like it used to.

I remember it being a thing headed into 2022 and the Dolphins tried him out at TE in the pre-season but it did not look good.

Here's PFF article on his alignment as a WR.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-free-agency-miami-dolphins-tight-end-mike-gesicki-wide-receiver-franchise-tag-2022

Reply/Quote