Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mike Giardi Twitter thread on Bengals
Someone has to lose.
Just saw a stat that said only 3% of NFL players have made Superbowls.

If you are a dick every time you lose you are going to go through your whole NFL career as a dick because stats say you ain’t never winning the SB
-Housh
Reply/Quote
This is why I fight for everyone getting their due credit. It starts with Joe, but we've got something special going on now. From the top, down (as TO once said). We are signing and drafting guys that fit a culture. A good culture.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Culture aside, here are some numbers. After starting off 6-25-1 in his first two years, Zac is now 28-36-1.

Another 12 win season will put him at 1 under .500, 40-41-1. A 13 win season will put him at 1 over .500, 41-40-1.

He already has tied for the most playoff appearances (7) in just 4 years, compared to Marvin's 16 years and has the most playoff wins (5), which ties the team total from before he got here (previous 51 seasons).

His last 2 year totals of 22 wins ties Marvin, who did it in '14-'15. He needs 11 wins to tie Marvin's 3 year total from '13-'15 for best in franchise history and a 3rd straight playoff season will tie him with Marvin as only the 2nd Bengals coach to ever accomplish the feat. 

The coaching trio of Taylor, Callahan and Anarumo have been together for 4 consecutive years, tying Wyche, Coslet and LeBeau from '86-'89. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 04:04 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Culture aside, here are some numbers. After starting off 6-25-1 in his first two years, Zac is now 28-36-1.

Another 12 win season will put him at 1 under .500, 40-41-1. A 13 win season will put him at 1 over .500, 41-40-1.

He already has tied for the most playoff appearances (7) in just 4 years, compared to Marvin's 16 years and has the most playoff wins (5), which ties the team total from before he got here (previous 51 seasons).

His last 2 year totals of 22 wins ties Marvin, who did it in '14-'15. He needs 11 wins to tie Marvin's 3 year total from '13-'15 for best in franchise history and a 3rd straight playoff season will tie him with Marvin as only the 2nd Bengals coach to ever accomplish the feat. 

The coaching trio of Taylor, Callahan and Anarumo have been together for 4 consecutive years, tying Wyche, Coslet and LeBeau from '86-'89. 

Yep, barring injuries, he’ll get on the right side of the regular season record soon enough. Really funny to think that after winning 6 regular season games in 32 tries his 1st two years he won 5 playoffs games in 7 tries his last 2 years.

We know a huge part is Joe for the regular season success, but the team lifted Joe up during most of the playoffs because of the poor line, and that’s reflective of good coaching.
Reply/Quote
Personally, I was not, and am not mad at Ossai at all. He played a monster game up until that point and while giving 100% hustle to make a play, he lost track of where the sideline was. It happens. I was more miffed at Pratt's outburst, but I really believe Pratt was lashing out because he was mad at himself for missing that huge tackle and misdirected it. He apologized and admitted it was wrong, I have no hard feelings towards him over it. It's all good, I hope he re-signs here.

As far as the culture Zac has built, he did exactly what he said he was going to do after he was hired and presented his vision of how he wanted to re-build this team. It made sense to me at the time, I believed him, and fully support him.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Personally, I was not, and am not mad at Ossai at all. He played a monster game up until that point and while giving 100% hustle to make a play, he lost track of where the sideline was. It happens. I was more miffed at Pratt's outburst, but I really believe Pratt was lashing out because he was mad at himself for missing that huge tackle and misdirected it. He apologized and admitted it was wrong, I have no hard feelings towards him over it. It's all good, I hope he re-signs here.

As far as the culture Zac has built, he did exactly what he said he was going to do after he was hired and presented his vision of how he wanted to re-build this team. It made sense to me at the time, I believed him, and fully support him.

I watched the Ossai play from an angle in slow motion that wasn’t on TV. Looks like his touching of Mahomes was just that. Their feet got tangled and why they fell. Feet don’t get tangled no penalty I think.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Personally, I was not, and am not mad at Ossai at all. He played a monster game up until that point and while giving 100% hustle to make a play, he lost track of where the sideline was. It happens. I was more miffed at Pratt's outburst, but I really believe Pratt was lashing out because he was mad at himself for missing that huge tackle and misdirected it. He apologized and admitted it was wrong, I have no hard feelings towards him over it. It's all good, I hope he re-signs here.

He said he wanted to build a culture like every other new coach says...he succeeded where so many fail

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 02:36 PM)pally Wrote: He said he wanted to build a culture like every other new coach says...he succeeded where so many fail

Yes, he had a vision where many other coaches do not. His vision was to build the team with smart players, coach's kids, Captains, players who have won Championships and been to the playoffs. Get rid of the malcontents, regardless of how talented they are, and replace them with players willing to buy in.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 03:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yes, he had a vision where many other coaches do not. His vision was to build the team with smart players, coach's kids, Captains, players who have won Championships and been to the playoffs. Get rid of the malcontents, regardless of how talented they are, and replace them with players willing to buy in.

But all this culture stuff fails if you don’t win. Luckily they did. In fairness to some of the players who didn’t we weren’t winning at all
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 08:30 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Yep, barring injuries, he’ll get on the right side of the regular season record soon enough. Really funny to think that after winning 6 regular season games in 32 tries his 1st two years he won 5 playoffs games in 7 tries his last 2 years.

We know a huge part is Joe for the regular season success, but the team lifted Joe up during most of the playoffs because of the poor line, and that’s reflective of good coaching.

First year was his first year. Second year, the team wasn't going to win no matter who the coach was, the injuries on defense were just too many to overcome. If people remember, we were signing defensive tackles off the couch just to finish the season and Margus Hunt was one of our best DTs.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 02:36 PM)pally Wrote: He said he wanted to build a culture like every other new coach says...he succeeded where so many fail

A few years ago, I watched this in depth show on Sean McVay and how he changed Rams' culture. He changed the interior of their facilities, putting up reminders of the Rams' success through the years.

You could just tell how he changed the energy inside the building, and I'm sure some of that rubbed off on Zac. Obviously, bringing in players with the right attitude is necessary as well.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 10:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: A few years ago, I watched this in depth show on Sean McVay and how he changed Rams' culture. He changed the interior of their facilities, putting up reminders of the Rams' success through the years.

You could just tell how he changed the energy inside the building, and I'm sure some of that rubbed off on Zac. Obviously, bringing in players with the right attitude is necessary as well.

I know it's been mentioned that Zac had portions of the locker room re-painted with a new scheme, light bulbs were changed out to provide a slight change of color, and who knows what else he did. 

I believe it was either 2019 or 2020, but Zac showed a video to the team about Bengals/Steelers rivalry and told them to embrace it and treat it like a big game.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote